• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS Blog] Creating Returnal’s otherworldly enemies: VFX-driven tentacle tech and deep-sea inspirations

Are you getting Returnal?

• Total voters
The $70 wouldn’t be so bad if Sony would adopt the MS/Epic/Steam return policy. Not on just this game but across the board. I’d be more likely to drop the $70 if I had a way to get it back if the game was bad/broken ala outriders and cyberpunk on stream the last 2 games I bought.

Man, I wish they would.

Best part of steam is that 2 hour limit to try a game and refund it if you dont like it.

Worst part about buying Digital on PSN is the inability to refund.

I will rent this day one on my gamefly subscription. Would love to support the developer but I am on SSI. (low monthly income)

Game looks great. Im really digging the enemy designs. If i don't like the game no loss.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I will rent this day one on my gamefly subscription. Would love to support the developer but I am on SSI. (low monthly income)

Game looks great. Im really digging the enemy designs. If i don't like the game no loss.

There is nothing wrong at all with buying/renting/waiting for a discount/not getting it at all/borrowing it from a friend. Just hope things get better for you and you enjoy it!

GHG

Gold Member
I want it but money is tight right now. I gotta pay 2000 in taxes and another 2600 for a new sofa and dining table. Been off work because of Covid for two weeks and just got back. I'll wait for a discount. Probably pick this and other games like RE8 in the winter.

1. Fuck the taxman
2. Sit on the floor
3. Eat off the floor
4. Get a divorce (if applicable)
5. Buy returnal and pocket the change

Thank me later.

There is nothing wrong at all with buying/renting/waiting for a discount/not getting it at all/borrowing it from a friend. Just hope things get better for you and you enjoy it!
Good to know there's no judgements here for us video game renters. As for my income, I have a lifelong mental illness disability. So i'll be on SSI for life unless I am able to get on a higher paying disability income.

I am by no means bad off. I am healthy and doing well. I can't work but its not bad. Thank you for the sentiment.

The Shepard

I hope this game makes sony realise that the £70 price point is to much. I can see a flop incoming, but its hard to tell with the next gen starvation period going on how well it will do. I'm waiting on a price drop.

j0hnnix

I'll wait on this one. It has not captured me one bit. Nothing against the game it just hasn't given me that feeling "oh I want this". Holding out for reviews, possibly price drop.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Good to know there's no judgements here for us video game renters. As for my income, I have a lifelong mental illness disability. So i'll be on SSI for life unless I am able to get on a higher paying disability income.

I am by no means bad off. I am healthy and doing well. I can't work but its not bad. Thank you for the sentiment.

I'm sorry to hear that. We have diverse levels of people and incomes around here, and some people should be grateful that they can afford the full price with no issues yet others need to cautiously calculate their budgets according to their priorities. I think I get well paid but sometimes you get shit going and you need to shift the salary/budget to a much higher priority stuff that can seriously left you broke as fuck until the next salary or so. On another month I can buy a new console with accessories and some games in full prices. Shit happens. Also let's not forget that many people got fired from their jobs and are literally in survival mode, and if they happen to be gamers they'll not suddenly drop it but they'll struggle to meet the asking price of this hobby.

Some might be a bit sensitive about the $70 talk because trolls on other threads keep trolling about it, but let's not mix the trolls with genuine people.

Warm regards and hope you enjoy your gaming and life more.🙌

Last edited:

NewChoppa

Banned
Initially I didn’t think too much of this, but with every trailer they’ve dropped they’ve really got me hooked.

I’ll probably pick it up day one (or as soon as possible after launch, a dudes got a lot of uni assignments that need to be finished lol)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Initially I didn’t think too much of this, but with every trailer they’ve dropped they’ve really got me hooked.

I’ll probably pick it up day one (or as soon as possible after launch, a dudes got a lot of uni assignments that need to be finished lol)

I'm not into the genre and wasn't even considering the game, but the lack of new good games combined with how challenging and intriguing this game is made me pull the trigger and preorder it!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you preorder, you get these two suits: (not sure if exclusive or you can get them in-game eventually)

bonus-suits.jpg

Still undecided if I'll get the physical or digital version.

If you compare the two there is no reason to buy digital. It's 10 € more expensive and cannot be resold. But the lazy side of me is all about the PSN version. It's just too much for me to lift my ass of from the sofa and walk a couple of steps to my PS5 and change the disc..

So some reviews would be nice because if Returnal git gud then I'll "happily" pay the PSN price.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

If you compare the two there is no reason to buy digital. It's 10 € more expensive and cannot be resold. But the lazy side of me is all about the PSN version. It's just too much for me to lift my ass of from the sofa and walk a couple of steps to my PS5 and change the disc..

So some reviews would be nice because if Returnal git gud then I'll "happily" pay the PSN price.

Yeah I've been all-digital since late 2014. It'll be like hell if had physical and my daughter picking up the discs, putting tooth paste on them, throwing them around, ejecting the disc inside the PS5. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

If you're hesitant then physical is the way to go, at least you can let a friend borrow it.

I’m not seeing where anyone is doing the preorder bonus for physical. I checked gs, Amazon and bb.

Yeah checked and seems nothing clear. But I'm more than sure that these two games are achievable in-game.

Three

The $70 wouldn’t be so bad if Sony would adopt the MS/Epic/Steam return policy. Not on just this game but across the board. I’d be more likely to drop the $70 if I had a way to get it back if the game was bad/broken ala outriders and cyberpunk on stream the last 2 games I bought.
I got a refund for buying COD:Cold war at £65 because it was broke. It's like trying to get blood from a stone but they do do it. They did returns for Cyberpunk too.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I got a refund for buying COD:Cold war at £65 because it was broke. It's like trying to get blood from a stone but they do do it. They did returns for Cyberpunk too.

Shouldn’t have to fight for it. So easy to protect yourself on other platforms. In this age with Each game more broken then the one before clear policies to protect the customer should be in place and easy to use.

MrS

Banned

Go physical man. Highly doubt you'll get 100 hours out of Returnal. Beat & trade FTW.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Tempted to get this as my PS5 is crying out for a new game, that said it kind of looks like a decent PS4 game to me, and I don't know if I have the reflexes to make the most of it.

Edit: didn't realise it was a full price physical release. Fuck paying £70 for that. Looks like it should be a £35-40 PSN game. I don't begrudge paying full whack if I feel a game is worth it like Spiderman and demon's souls, but this doesn't look like enough of a leap over PS4 for me; and that's what we pay the premium for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Same intent, two different ways of expression. One treated with respect and understanding, and the other wasn't. :pie_thinking:

Both are respected but nearly all Returnal threads are flooded with $70 remarks mostly by trolls, these two guys are not trolls indeed. But I understand the frustration about repeatedly trolling Returnal threads.

Tempted to get this as my PS5 is crying out for a new game, that said it kind of looks like a decent PS4 game to me, and I don't know if I have the reflexes to make the most of it.

Yeah graphically feels more PS4, but it's their first new AAA game. Also the AI might be demanding as all of them are attacking non-stop vs most of last gen games that usually take turns. Also attacks are full of complex shit so it might've needed that headroom. I'm more than sure it's using DRS.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Both are respected but nearly all Returnal threads are flooded with $70 remarks mostly by trolls, these two guys are not trolls indeed. But I understand the frustration about repeatedly trolling Returnal threads.

Yeah graphically feels more PS4, but it's their first new AAA game. Also the AI might be demanding as all of them are attacking non-stop vs most of last gen games that usually take turns. Also attacks are full of complex shit so it might've needed that headroom. I'm more than sure it's using DRS.

Yeah I do understand that. There may well be more going on under the hood as it were so I'll wait and see. On first impression though I just feel if they're going to charge me not far off £100 for one standard edition game then the reason it costs so much should be very apparent on a first look.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah I do understand that. There may well be more going on under the hood as it were so I'll wait and see. On first impression though I just feel if they're going to charge me not far off £100 for one standard edition game then the reason it costs so much should be very apparent on a first look.

I honestly think it should be $50 from what I've seen, I'm just used to buying gold/deluxe editions when they get DLC's. This deluxe edition is spoiling the game instead for the extra $10.

But being locked for PS5-only then it's kinda risky, so you charge $70 from early jumpers then push it down to a more comfortable pricetag.

I just bought WRC9 for like $20, played it for less than 1 hour and gonna delete it, same with Persona 5. That's a much bigger waste, although both are very good games but WRC9 feels harder than real life using a controller (I'm quite the stuntman on my younger days both offroad and on road), and Persona's turn-based BS just unbearable and shouldn't bought it from the beginning.

Also roguelike isn't my cup of tea, so this is more like a leap of faith to me.

Last edited:
This game may not look visually as impressive as Demons Souls or Spider Man Miles Morales, nonetheless it looks good enough for me.
When the pace is calm, I like watching the details on the character, in the lighting and the environments. And, when the bullets start flying, it is real firework.
The creatures with all those tentacles are very impressive, especially the Titanops.

At this point, I am merely waiting for the few reviewers that I kinda trust to confirm to me that the game is not a dud riddled with bugs. I will explore Atropos shortly after release.

The gameplay is going to be dope : https://blog.playstation.com/2021/01/13/returnal-combat-details-upgradable-weapons-otherworldly-tools-and-risky-buffs/

McCarth

I live in Norway, this game cost 102$ 84€ on release. My income didn't increase by 30% when i made the transition from ps4 to ps5.
Then don’t buy it.

Don’t whine about it because you’ve arbitrarily decided the appropriate value of the game based on absolutely nothing of substance except your demand that specific products are priced to take your unique situation into account.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Then don’t buy it.

Don’t whine about it because you’ve arbitrarily decided the appropriate value of the game based on absolutely nothing of substance except your demand that specific products are priced to take your unique situation into account.

No need for that, mate. Let us hear them all. Actually it's interesting to observe and understand different perspectives.

Raonak

Banned
No need for that, mate. Let us hear them all. Actually it's interesting to observe and understand different perspectives.
I disagree, he's just expressing his opinion on price whining. I think it's a useful perspective.

I think this is a good place for a discussion on how unproductive and pointless price whining is in an age of constant sales. To me, it's very reminiscent of port begging.

It's fine if you disagree.

Last edited:
Then don’t buy it.

He's not buying it. And he's discussing that on here. Youre the only one acting like you're triggered.

McCarth

He's not buying it. And he's discussing that on here. Youre the only one acting like you're triggered.
You don’t find it immensely ironic how that same individual somehow justified a brand new, rather expensive console at launch but then claims this game’s price is what is the deal breaker?

FrankWza

is kinda tiresome to get every returnal thread derailed by broke people.
It is. But one of the choices is wait for a discount so it kind of opens up that part of the discussion. But whatever. The game is looking great. I wish they would have done a steelbook

SLB1904

Banned
It is. But one of the choices is wait for a discount so it kind of opens up that part of the discussion. But whatever. The game is looking great. I wish they would have done a steelbook
exactly. and sony games go on sale pretty quick. thats why a find suspicious these posts.. i mean you are not forced to buy at launch

Top Bottom