• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Code Name M - Murder mystery game by NOVECT where you play as the killer and the investigator.

From the developer of The House in Fata Morgana, NOVECT, currently in development is a brand new mystery adventure game set in a downtown Tokyo of modern Japan.
You, the player, create murder scenes as a killer, and pursue the truth of serial murder case as a sleuth.

Traditional adventure-style detective part and a special murder part
In the detective part, the player pursues the mystery of the case in an adventure game style where the player moves around the map, investigating and asking people.
In the murder part, the player becomes the murderer in a special game part where the player plans and executes various perfect crimes, such as completing a locked room murder or faking a suicide note.

Protagonist, a corpse disposal business, takes on a series of murders in downtown Tokyo in modern Japan.
Along with the protagonist, who works for a corpse disposal company, the story explores Asakusa and Yoshiwara, downtown Tokyo in modern Japan, to solve a serial murder case.
While depicting the dark side of Japan, including the Japanese underworld, the story follows the mysteries with a total of over 20 fascinating characters.
We are working hard to develop this game so that players can enjoy the exciting suspense and the thrill of solving a mystery.
5wXVfW7.png

FSokBZSacAE5VJR

The developers are calling this a "Killing and Solving Detective Adventure Game." and from the trailer alone it looks like just the kind of crazy I'm here for all day. Curious to know how it'll actually work, though. Quantic Dream has had games where you play as the detective and the culprit but you weren't actually planning the crimes yourself. In any case, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Danjin44 Danjin44 SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

5wXVfW7.png

FSokBZSacAE5VJR

The developers are calling this a "Killing and Solving Detective Adventure Game." and from the trailer alone it looks like just the kind of crazy I'm here for all day. Curious to know how it'll actually work, though. Quantic Dream has had games where you play as the detective and the culprit but you weren't actually planning the crimes yourself. In any case, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Danjin44 Danjin44 SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo

Holly F**CK!!! That looked good!!!! This definitely game I’m checking out, also the music on the trailer:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Totally agree, I also really love the key art of the woman/corpse covered in flowers on the wall of potoroids. The lead dev, Keika Hanada, has another little video on his twitter demoing that scene at different times of day.

Yeah this looking really good and makes world much more alive compare to other Japanese VN/adventure games, but I'm also digging the character designs so far.

Reading through this interview I can safely say their influences are in order.
(An Interview With Hanada Keika of NOVECT About the Developer’s New Detective Adventure Game, Aiming for a Global Launch, and More - Mako Reactor)

Project Code Name M’s gameplay system explained by NOVECT​

“The game system is divided into a traditional adventure-style detective part with point-and-click gameplay,” he says. “It also has a unique murder part which the player plans and executes. It has serious aspects including those involving the dark side of Japan, but there is a lot of character interaction with strong personalities to make it not feel too serious at all times.”

Hanada Keika goes on to talk about the recent media he enjoys for this approach.

“I like works that dare to show heavy themes in a light approach. For games, Danganronpa, Ace Attorney, and AI: The Somnium Files do this well. For dramas, I love Netflix’s How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) very much,” he says. “But I love to give people despair, so I hope you are prepared for that. Everyone has become more tolerant with The House in Fata Morgana’s plot, so it should be fine, right?”

Also, here's some more screenshots that've come out:

8J805Rr.jpg

pvcpB0m.jpg

rOlAmKk.jpg

0WbuCni.jpg

93KHYm8.jpg

spCgG0g.jpg

swarley64

If you’re playing as both the killer and the investigator…. Wouldn’t it be really easy to catch yourself?

If you’re playing as both the killer and the investigator…. Wouldn’t it be really easy to catch yourself?
Yeah I'd imagine so, but since that's the first thing you'd think of designing this game I'm expecting some gimmick that makes it work. Or maybe there's another layer of mystery aside from the actual murder.

Top Bottom