• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Acoustics - Wave acoustics engine for 3D interactive experiences by Microsoft

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
As explained in this

Its not like light ray tracing. Unlike traditional audio ray tracing solutions, they are treating audio as actual sound waves. Everyone else treats Sound waves like light waves in path tracing. They are doing it a bit differently and are more accurate.

Thats the hardware. DirectX 12 Ultimate is the software that will power this hardware.
DirectX from a company that suppressed and almost killed PC gaming because they wanted a slice from the console pie. Sure it will be revolutionary...

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
DirectX from a company that suppressed and almost killed PC gaming because they wanted a slice from the console pie. Sure it will be revolutionary...
Wat ? Just so you know Sony also uses its own proprietory API like GNM and GNMx.

Bernkastel

In the GDC presentation, when he was talking about RTX, 3D Audio was listed as a component.
3D Audio is not Audio Ray Tracing. Audio Ray Tracing was just briefly mentioned in the Wired article(go read it again) and in the GDC reveal video.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

This will be as effective as Ray Tracing in Minecraft.
So you could hear as a pony is panting from behind you? :D
Oh hey look! I just posted the generic console war template in another unrelated thread. Why the hell am I trying seriously reply to these guys ?

MDADigital

Neo Member
3D is just a way of taking a sound played in 3D space and apply delay/volume and filters so that it hits your ear the same way it would in real life, your life does the rest by decoding this information and tells you exactly were the sound is coming from.

Real acoustics takes evrything into account and you get 3D or spatial audio as we call it in the industry more or less free becse if you model acoustics correctly you will get correct spatial info too

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Why the hell do you even bother with a subject that you know absolutely nothing about? I read the entire branch and it's just embarrassing. Stop your fanaticism and compare real things, not those that are convenient for you
What fanaticism ? I admitted it was a typo. This thing is being talked about for a year and no one made a thread about it. Its here so that any future news on this topic will be posted here.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
This thing is being talked about for a year and no one made a thread about it. Its here so that any future news on this topic will be posted here.
That has to do with the PS5 having only 2 things worth mentioning. SSD and 3D audio. Since the GDC talk was so ridiculously bad, PS fans were put in the defensive immediately. To overcome that power gap (which they supposedly don't care about) they talk about 3D audio and the chip because that will reduce the power of XSX to 9TF "pie_tears_joy: Hence you get these topics to state that not only XSX also has a dedicated audio chip, they also have their own technology in it to match the 3D audio of PS5.

Bernkastel

That has to do with the PS5 having only 2 things worth mentioning. SSD and 3D audio. Since the GDC talk was so ridiculously bad, PS fans were put in the defensive immediately. To overcome that power gap (which they supposedly don't care about) they talk about 3D audio and the chip because that will reduce the power of XSX to 9TF "pie_tears_joy: Hence you get these topics to state that not only XSX also has a dedicated audio chip, they also have their own technology in it to match the 3D audio of PS5.
Google search Project Acoustics. Its on news since the Series X thread. There was also a Windows Central article(before PS5 reveal).

Great Hair

Banned
Windows Sonic is just an addon for compatibility. How are so sure about Spatial Audio on Series X without seeing it in action.

True.

I was just alluding to Windows 10 and it´s "Spatial" feature. Which is bad. I like the demo shown with Gears, but iirc we had this already in some form if im not mistaken.

MarkMe2525

Pretty cool. I'm sure there have been others that I probably have missed, but this is the first demonstration that I have seen that gives an idea of what they're going to do with this tech. It actually is a really noticeable difference. It's also one of those things that I didn't know I wanted. I have never noticed how lacking in nuance the sound in our video games are.

jaysius

Banned
This pretty neat, I’m surprised we haven’t heard more about it, maybe not many devs have taken advantage of it near launch.

it looks like a “free“ or something like that method which takes less effort to create a realistic 3D audio environment in games.

Hopefully it’s easy to implement, as few games used Dolby Atmos last gen.

This is even better than having to hope for a Dolby Atmos stream as everyone with ears regardless the audio setup will directly benefit from it.

This kind of reminds me of EAX back in the day, I know it’s different than that, but the demo of turning it on and off reminds me of the EAX demos.

It feels like we’re getting closer to the perfect audio reprodunction developers want, allowing them to more easily realize their visions.

It‘s great to see innovations in sound design in games, lets hope devs use it.

jaysius

Banned
Sounds impressive.

Its great that all next gen consoles, down to XSS, dedicated hardware for audio.

PC games audio are kinda stagnated. 🤷‍♀️

Yea, I got really sad when Creative lost to on-board audio, but they’ve really stagnanted and leaned heavy on their ESPORTS personality lines.

I haven’t followed pc sound cards closely anymore, but I think ASUS made a few decent attempts at soundcards.

Who knows maybe all this will revitalize some companies attempts.

longdi

Banned
Yea, I got really sad when Creative lost to on-board audio, but they’ve really stagnanted and leaned heavy on their ESPORTS personality lines.

I haven’t followed pc sound cards closely anymore, but I think ASUS made a few decent attempts at soundcards.

Who knows maybe all this will revitalize some companies attempts.

Creative was good because it had hardware EAX effects.
Then MS killed hardware accelaration because they wanted extra windows stability by preventing audio low level access

Then there was Nvidia soundstorm, which encoded 5.1 into single audio out.

Today PC sound cards pretty much about the DAC and opamps, but then we simply passed digital audio out to our external amps.
Amd tried with trueaudio but nobody cared. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

jaysius

Banned
Creative was good because it had hardware EAX effects.
Then MS killed hardware accelaration because they wanted extra windows stability by preventing audio low level access

Then there was Nvidia soundstorm, which encoded 5.1 into single audio out.

Today PC sound cards pretty much about the DAC and opamps, but then we simply passed digital audio out to our external amps.
Amd tried with trueaudio but nobody cared. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Yea, Creative paved the way with EAX for what we have today. I remember my old Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 setup, even had its own anemic stands...those were the days, I still even have them in their box, lol.

I had forgotten the pure shitshow that was Nvidia Soundstorm, I think it had some awful flaw that fucked with CPU processing bottlenecking systems that used it.

AVRs are pretty awesome tech, I do agree, I just wish they didn’t cost so fucking much :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Bernkastel

This pretty neat, I’m surprised we haven’t heard more about it, maybe not many devs have taken advantage of it near launch.

it looks like a “free“ or something like that method which takes less effort to create a realistic 3D audio environment in games.

Hopefully it’s easy to implement, as few games used Dolby Atmos last gen.

This is even better than having to hope for a Dolby Atmos stream as everyone with ears regardless the audio setup will directly benefit from it.

This kind of reminds me of EAX back in the day, I know it’s different than that, but the demo of turning it on and off reminds me of the EAX demos.

It feels like we’re getting closer to the perfect audio reprodunction developers want, allowing them to more easily realize their visions.

It‘s great to see innovations in sound design in games, lets hope devs use it.
Check this thread. I made it a while back to include everything we know about Xbox's Audio solution

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Creative killed our chances for real 3d audio for decades when they bankrupted and bought Aureal Semiconductors and then put all their patents into freezer.
Came here to say this, even as a user of X-FI Elite Pro user, which is that good that it can be easily used for music production....it still saddens me.

Top Bottom