• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Probable cause to charge 911 caller (w/making false alarms) in John Crawford's death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Crawford was still on the phone looking at the pet food when the cop comes around the corner and shoots him. So much for the, "we told him to put the gun down twice" bullshit the police stated before the video was released.

Again as which happens in a lot of these incidents the DA wanted no part of this case because of police involvement in the words of Mark Piepmeier the prosecutor in the case
“The grand jury listened to all the evidence, voted on it and decided that the police officers were justified in their use of force that day,”
This whole case is being dragged out so long its ridiculous the trial date for the federal lawsuit against the city of Beavercreek, city police officers, the police chief and Wal-Mart will not be heard until February 13, 2017.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
He basically made up everything but the guy having a BB gun (which he was trying to buy).

He lied about that, too. He said that it was an assault rifle, that he saw him loading it, (It doesn't load anything like a "real" gun.) and that he was a military vet so he knew what he was talking about. All lies.
This is ignoring that neither of those things would have been illegal even if it was true.

jmood88

It's worth pointing out that they really, really, REALLY wanted to go after this guy for a whole lot of shit when it all started.

I'm of the opinion that the cops responding to the call were completely fucked over because of the caller straight up lying about everything
Fuck the police and fuck this racist piece of shit for getting the police involved in the first place.

Yeah, it's probably a good idea to know what you're talking about before commenting on the situation.

That's generally why people quote large swaths of an article in the post body, so that people who don't or can't click the idea can know what they're talking about. In this case, important information was left out. All it would have taken is adding

Attorney Michael Wright, who represents the Crawford family in their civil suit against Beavercreek police and Walmart, said Wednesday evening that, “based on the video we do know that he was making assertions that were not correct. However, it wasn’t his fault that John Crawford is dead.”

to the already large quote in the OP

It sounds like a racist called the police on a black shopper with a bb gun and the cops escalated the situation into a gunfight in a Walmart and now they are trying to shift the blame onto the racist who called them.
I saw the video and there was no escalation or fight, the cops literally ran in and shot him dead before he even had time to realize they were there.

jmood88

That's generally why people quote large swaths of an article in the post body, so that people who don't or can't click the idea can know what they're talking about. In this case, important information was left out. All it would have taken is adding

Or you could've just clicked on the link and read to see if what you were going to say was correct.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Lol what? If you can't click or read the article, then come back and respond when you can. It ain't rocket science.

Edit - I edited the OP.

Guevara

Makes sense in a way:

We've seen a few cases now where the initial 911 call was wrong, or wasn't fully relayed to the responding cops.

Seems like a real problem.

I saw the video and there was no escalation or fight, the cops literally ran in and shot him dead before he even had time to realize they were there.

You can't defend it. If these trigger happy, jumpy as fuck cops just waited a few more seconds, it would've all been settled. Shit's tragic.

You can't let the caller off the hook either, no goddamn way. He lied BIG TIME, he showed no remorse, he turned a molehill into a damn mountain.

Or you could've just clicked on the link and read to see if what you were going to say was correct.

Let's imagine a thread is created called "Cop shoots person walking down the street", and a quote from the article is posted on the front page saying "A bystander who witnessed the shooting said, 'Man I saw him right before, he was just walking down the street minding his own business'". People in the thread would be going crazy.

But then you click on the link, and low and behold, there's security footage showing the man shooting at random people as he walks down the street.

You'd think that's important information right? It's not rocket science.

jmood88

Let's imagine a thread is created called "Cop shoots person walking down the street", and a quote from the article is posted on the front page saying "A bystander who witnessed the shooting said, 'Man I saw him right before, he was just walking down the street minding his own business'". People in the thread would be going crazy.

But then you click on the link, and low and behold, there's security footage showing the man shooting at random people as he walks down the street.

It's amazing that you're the one who didn't know anything about the situation and didn't take the 10 seconds to click the link and read before spewing bullshit but you're trying to lecture others.

Enzom21

That's why you read the whole fucking article before flinging your ignorance around.
That important information is in the fucking link that you were too lazy to click.
Should the OP also read the article out loud for you?
Laziness doesn't excuse ignorance.

It's amazing that you're the one who didn't know anything about the situation and didn't take the 10 seconds to click the link and read before spewing bullshit but you're trying to lecture others.

Dude is a Trump supporter... that's all that needs to be said.

I already said "Oh yea I clicked on the link, you're right". So I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to prove here. It's pretty common for people (including non-Trump supporters, if you can believe it!!) to read the text that people quote from articles and then come to conclusions based on that. That is, in fact, the entire reason people quote portions of an article in the body of a post, to boil it down to the important information for people who can't read the article (which includes, for example, people who don't have access to the linked site for firewall reasons)

Edit: And apparently the OP agrees with me, since the OP is now edited to reflect this important information.

Thanks OP

Rembrandt

Banned
I already said "Oh yea I clicked on the link, you're right". So I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to prove here. It's pretty common for people (including non-Trump supporters, if you can believe it!!) to read the text that people quote from articles and then come to conclusions based on that. That is, in fact, the entire reason people quote portions of an article in the body of a post, to boil it down to the important information for people who can't read the article (which includes, for example, people who don't have access to the linked site for firewall reasons)

Edit: And apparently the OP agrees with me, since the OP is now edited to reflect this important information.

Thanks OP

in the quoted part it says he could be charged for making false alarms and then it quotes some things he said. you didn't think that was part of what he's being charged with?

also you're in the wrong, just take your L instead of acting like OP messed up by not including that information.

OT: I really hope he's charged. Easily one of the most upsetting cases in a long time that got swept under the rug unfortunately.

Enzom21

Thanks OP

No, quotes are there to get people to read the entire article. If they were there for lazy people like yourself, we would be able to quote entire news stories/articles.

cameron

AP: "911 caller won't be charged in Ohio Wal-Mart police shooting"
A 911 caller won't be charged for reporting a man waving a gun in a Wal-Mart store before police fatally shot the shopper, who'd picked up an air rifle from a shelf, a special prosecutor said Monday.

The decision was made by Mark Piepmeier, the same prosecutor who had presented the shooting case to a grand jury. It concluded that the August 2014 shooting of 22-year-old John Crawford III at the Beavercreek store, near Dayton, was justified.

There was no evidence the caller knew he was providing false information, and the earlier grand jury had authority to bring charges against the caller if merited but didn't, Piepmeier said in a Monday court filing outlining his findings.
Piepmeier has handled some of Ohio's biggest cases, including a deadly 1993 prison riot and cases involving excessive force by police, but the filers were upset that he was the prosecutor appointed to review the 911 caller's role. They noted that after the grand jury's decision, Piepmeier had publicly described Ritchie as someone "trying to be a good citizen."

WLWT: "Prosecutor: No charges for 911 caller in Beavercreek Wal-Mart shooting"
In his decision, Piepmeier stated that a Green County grand jury heard all of the evidence of the shooting on Aug. 5, 2014, including the actions of the caller, and had the authority to indict anyone they believed had criminal culpability in the shooting, including the caller. However, the grand jury did not bring charges.

Piepmeier also said, "The original call was basically, 'I'm at the Beavercreek Walmart and there is a man walking about with a gun in the store.'" The remainder of his conversations was mostly answers in response to questions from a dispatcher."

Piepmeier's findings state that the charge of making false alarms requires that the defendant knew the information he was transmitting was false, but Piepmeier did not find any evidence that the caller knew any of the information was false.
Legal experts say it would be difficult to prove Ritchie knew the information he was calling in was false.

jmood88

How the fuck could he not know that the information he was presenting was false when no part of what he said happened at any point?

"Sorry, I had no idea that the shit I made up wasn't true."

Cipherr

Jesus, they will work REALLY hard to make sure an innocent person of color killed for no fucking reason amounts to no one paying a price for it.

Crazy how adamant this pos lawyer was about making sure the caller who fucking lied got off.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
yet another confirmation that your black life doesn't mean shit

fuckin hate this country sometimes

dabig2

Has the family taken everyone involved to court for at least monetary damages? It's just absolutely bullshit that no justice will be served here, and the only lesson learned from this avoidable tragedy will be for walmart to apparently color the tip of their toy guns, as if that would have even saved Crawford's life with this shitty, racist swatter and a trigger itchy police force that killed him in a goddamn second.

Worthless ass prosecutor too. He better not escape this unscathed.

MJPIA

3pxcYvl.png

Served in the marines eh?
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-police-walmart-doubts-cast-witnesss-account
Ritchie told several reporters after the 5 August shooting that he was an “ex-marine”. When confronted with his seven-week service record, however, he confirmed that he had been quickly thrown out of the US marine corps in 2008 after being declared a “fraudulent enlistment”, over what he maintains was simply a mixup over his paperwork.

commedieu

Banned
Lol.

Why do we even bother? Stay safe all. I'm out as soon as I get a visa somewhere. Maybe it won't be any better, worth a try though.

Kettch

Has the family taken everyone involved to court for at least monetary damages? It's just absolutely bullshit that no justice will be served here, and the only lesson learned from this avoidable tragedy will be for walmart to apparently color the tip of their toy guns, as if that would have even saved Crawford's life with this shitty, racist swatter and a trigger itchy police force that killed him in a goddamn second.

Worthless ass prosecutor too. He better not escape this unscathed.

Which is a ridiculous lesson, given that it's perfectly legal to open carry real guns in Ohio. This would be just as much of an injustice if the gun hadn't been a toy.

Anyway, the prosecutor clearly did not want the officers charged at all, so this isn't surprising either. The whole "grand jury had the option" crap is worthless when the prosecutor doesn't care.

Kenstar

Culex

Banned
Not even remotely close, looks more like the SOCOM AK47 (an amazing weapon).

The 911 caller got away with this man's death. For shame.

What? Did the prosecutor not watch the video AND listen to what the guy said? It is completely obvious he was lying. Just wow!

State Prosecutors and cops work together. They not gonna turn on their own. It's corrupt as shit. Personally I think every shooting by police should be handled and prosecuted on the federal level by unbiased prosecutors.

MJPIA

Were they trying to make it sound like it looked like a scary infamous AR-15 and the caller had a reason to be afraid? Or because they use AR-15's in the marines?

Fuck this lying asshole either way

Considering the large amount of bb, pellet and real guns that have the same vague design as the ar15 I doubt even the biggest gun nut would be able to tell what the gun really is.
And I just noticed I only included one page of the ruling and forgot the second.

165 feet away with several people between him?
There is no way he could have ever positively identified what gun it is.
#9 is great how it just handwaves away the stuff Ritchie made up in his 911 call that influenced how the ultimately fatal police encounter occurred.
Link to the pdf in case that image is too small for some people.
http://www.wlwt.com/blob/view/-/390...r-That-Criminal-Charges-Are-Not-Warranted.pdf

Never let anyone tell you we are a post-racist society and never let anyone let current society off the hook with an excuse of "things are better than they were". When black peoples can still have their lives uprooted so senselessly with no one being held accountable beyond the dead victim, that only means things are different, not better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom