• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Hearthstone Player Calls for Liberation of Hong Kong, Blizzard Deletes Video Archive in Response

Helios

A profession Hearthstone player has recently sounded off on the controversial topic of Hong Kong’s ongoing protests and demands for independence from China.

A native of Hong Kong himself, Chung “blitzchung” Ng Wai said (via InvenGlobal) to “liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our age!” in a post-game interview after winning his Hearthstone GrandMasters match, on October 6th. The player also wore a gas mask, further symbolizing the protests.

The phrase said by Ng Wai is a slogan heavily associated with the ongoing protests in the city state, which China had been granted authority over when Britain relinquished sovereignty back in 1997.

In a response to Ng Wai’s comments, Blizzard Taiwan (the branch of the publisher hosting the event) has deleted (via Rod Breslau) the video archive of the match and interview from their official Twitch channel. It’s worth mentioning Chinese media giant Tencent owns a 5% stake in Activision Blizzard.

Ng Wai provided a statement clarifying his support of the protests to Inven Global, “As you know, there are serious protests in my country now.”

He added, “My call on stream was just another form of participation of the protest that I wish to grab more attention. I put so much effort in that social movement in the past few months that I sometimes couldn’t focus on preparing my Grandmaster match. I know what my action on stream means. It could cause me lot of trouble, even my personal safety in real life. But I think it’s my duty to say something about the issue.”

For those not caught up with the Hong Kong protests, the nation has been heavily protesting their provincial Chinese rulers since June of this year after “proposed amendments to Hong Kong’s extradition law” were put forth to law. Said amendments would allow China to extradite Hong Kong citizens to China, further solidifying China’s sovereignty over the state.

Southpark should just replay the dodgeball episode.

OT. This guy is a pro hearthstone player, not a pro diplomat. If I wanted his opinion on hearthstone I would ask for it, otherwisr he needs to wind his neck in.

Hinedorf

Banned
I don't think there's a better example of somebody bending over and taking it quite like the ugliest fucking disgrace ever done by Marvel/Disney

Afraid to make a fucking Chinese based character evil so much you replace him WITH AN ENGLISH/INDIAN DUDE?! Seriously fuck China and fuck the cowardice of Disney.

IMO whitewashing the Mandarin ruined the future of Iron Man as a stand alone character

5266d36969beddbf50ab2fb8-750-375.jpg

petran79

Banned
all media companies crawl down China's ass... so it was to be expected that it gets deleted.

I wonder tho if they'll go even further and maybe ban him from future events or at least never interview him again out of fear that China wouldn't approve

China can discriminate against lbgt people all they want too, ready to doxx and sabotage any "sjw" dissenters who only go against the little ones

We really need to stop the likes of Tencent and Huawei from buying shares into companies. They are doctrinating and censoring messages that go against them via proxies and these companies are dumb enough to let it happen.

Good on him for standing by Hong Kong but he lost his Prize Money in doing so. I hope it was worth it.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
We really need to stop the likes of Tencent and Huawei from buying shares into companies. They are doctrinating and censoring messages that go against them via proxies and these companies are dumb enough to let it happen.

Good on him for standing by Hong Kong but he lost his Prize Money in doing so. I hope it was worth it.

I can't speak for him, but doing the right thing has the highest value of all. He can look at himself in the mirror, and be proud, unlike the sniveling cowards at Blizzard.

Animagic

Banned
China and communists in general can go fuck themselves

better dead than red

Blizzard drew their line in the sand. Let them sell their loot box shit to China for all I care.

Last edited:
Top Bottom