• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia Remake now targets a 2022 release date, won’t be at E3 2021

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
prince-of-persia-remake-update.jpg

Announcement thread:

Last edited:

dottme

I’m going to call this the Halo Infinite Syndrome. But I hope it’s for the best for both games.

Rheon

I thought they would've outright cancelled it based on how horrendous it looked and the reception it got.

Hopefully this means it will be thoroughly reworked.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
This hasn't released yet! Feels like they been talking about it for a long time.

Make it pretty enough and I'll jump back in. Enjoyed those games.

harmny

Banned
I love how woke people criticize all the time that western developers make games about other cultures and that is wrong but when Ubisoft gives prince of persia to a team from india they release a trailer and the same people say it looks like shit 🤣

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Hopefully means the feedback on the awful look was taken seriously and they've restarted development.

I'm fine with this delay.

elliot5

I love how woke people criticize all the time that western developers make games about other cultures and that is wrong but when Ubisoft gives prince of persia to a team from india they release a trailer and the same people say it looks like shit 🤣
? Prince of Persia was already made. An India team remastering it makes no difference. Really weird strawman you've got going on here

harmny

Banned
? Prince of Persia was already made. An India team remastering it makes no difference. Really weird strawman you've got going on here

It makes all the difference because people said the remake looks like shit. The original game everyone loves it

Last edited:

sainraja

I really hope this turns out to be good. It's my favorite game of all time. Until I tried this game, I didn't branch out of my comfort zone of gaming and it lead me to try God of War and so many others! I hope this delay will get us the remake the game deserves.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They should completely scrap it and restart it with a dev team that's up to the task, because judging by how this looked last time we saw it this team ain't it.

Fbh

Good.
Gives me hope that when we see it again it will actually look notoriously better and just like a slightly enhanced version of what they already showed.

Seems like they jumped straight ahead and are making a Sands of time Remake Remake.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Prince of Persia PS2 was an experience than it became a franchise but it was Assassins Creed gameplay before Assassins Creed. Real influence there. This remake approach to PoP is interesting.

Blond

Banned
Just cancel this thing already. Unless they’re porting the entire trilogy over what’s the point? It doesn’t take this long to remake anything and I’m sure at this point it’s costing more than it’ll make.

Arun1910

Credit where Credit is due...

I am so glad they've decided to push this back into next year. That has given this game a LOT of extra development time. It isn't often you see Devs/higher up management do this for a title and Ubisoft do have a track record of just releasing stuff that is "good enough" but never great.

Hopefully the rumours that another team is helping/picking this up is true. For how long this game has been pushed back I can only think that they are overhauling many aspects of it.

It makes all the difference because people said the remake looks like shit. The original game everyone loves it
Frankly, people stupid.

We have the trailer:

In the trailer it states: "Remake - Alpha Footage". And then you have people making definitive statements about the visuals; it's similar to what happened recently with the Battlefield 6 leaked footage and screenshots.

Games in development can be rough around the edges (it's no wonder devs/publishers still love showing us pretty CGI / in-engine footage that isn't representative of the final game).

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
How are those two things even related? A game that looks like crap looks like crap no matter who's making it.

Let me tell you how those two things are related. Ubisoft india is fairly new and inexperienced at making AAA games. That's why it "looks like shit". They historically made mobile games or ports. Ubisoft game them the opportunity to remake a game that takes place in their country. If it was made by the western studios it would look great but they'll accuse Ubisoft of cultural appropriation like they usually do.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Let me tell you how those two things are related. Ubisoft india is fairly new and inexperienced at making AAA games. That's why it "looks like shit". They historically made mobile games or ports. Ubisoft game them the opportunity to remake a game that takes place in their country. If it was made by the western studios it would look great but they'll accuse Ubisoft of cultural appropriation like they usually do.
are you indian

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yes, but if they're not capable of doing this game justice they shouldn't have been given the project. I'm not gonna care what country it was made in when playing it if it's a bad remake.

sainraja

But sands of time takes place in india
Yes, but the Prince isn't Indian. The game spends some time there due to the nature of the visit, so it's not exactly Indian because of where its set. I thought your whole point was that it was being made by who it is representing and the cast of characters are not Indian, they are just visiting India.

EDIT - It had been a while so I had to double-check what I was saying. I corrected it and re-worded my post to make the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
The game looked like ass in the original trailer. It was supposed to be almost-ready so those graphics were clearly almost final if they were shown in a major event.
Clearly the backlash was intense.

As for cultural appropriation - nobody would say that about Ubisoft, these guys make AC across the world and always put the "multicultural team" disclaimer in front. The whole point should be moot after one of the best games of last year - Ghost of Tsushima - was made by a largely North American devs and received a ridiculous amount of praise in Japan while uberwoke idiot journalists who complained about "misrepresentation" were eating crow.

Prince of Persia is a seminal game - it was a great trilogy in its own right, it popularized time-reversal, ledge-grabbing (remember how tricky and finicky Tomb Raider used to be compared to PoP?), it basically spawned Assassin't Creed and thereforeit frankly deserves better and I'm happy Ubi giving it time and hopefully budget to release in a good state hopefully with next-gen enhancements in tow.

SJRB

Gold Member
Some unnecessarily negative posts here.

Take all the time you need, Sands of Time is a great game that deserves a great remake.

llien

I quite liked all of the "new" prince's, bar terrifyingly bad one on PS3, which I couldn't even play.

What eh?
See Japanese national in US bitching about Japanese living in Japan "not realizing" how "Ghost of Tsushima" is cultural appropriation (and other bad things from woke vocabulary, apologies, I forgot).

ShaikhCroft

The Indian dev team changed the models of the game completely. It doesn't look like the original and too much Indian theme in their build. I don't complain it being look cartoonish in that alpha build but it felt like they are moving the story and models a bit too much.

Top Bottom