• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
It was childishly simple plot with childishly simple characters and the culture could have been anything, it's not like actual Indians even fought like that, right?

And then the ridiculous French trappers, a bit on the nose maybe?

Don't get me wrong, something can be simple and stupid and still enjoyable but then it also has to be fun or funny and this was neither.

RAÏSanÏa

It was childishly simple plot with childishly simple characters and the culture could have been anything, it's not like actual Indians even fought like that, right?

And then the ridiculous French trappers, a bit on the nose maybe?

Don't get me wrong, something can be simple and stupid and still enjoyable but then it also has to be fun or funny and this was neither.
And you think the fighting in the other movies is a realistic portrayal?

You may be appylying inconsistent standards for some reason.

kurisu_1974

And you think the fighting in the other movies is a realistic portrayal?

You may be appylying inconsistent standards for some reason.

Why not straight call me racist :D I feel you're the one coming from an "inconsistent standard" or a point of personal investment?

And to answer your question, my remark was aimed at people praising the depiction of Indian culture in the movie, which I think is silly because it didn't feel very grounded in reality to me. It's not really a critique of the movie I guess, but of the response to it if that makes sense. Also I'm no expert so don't take my replies too serious, like I said i didn't even like the movie.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Why not straight call me racist :D I feel you're the one coming from an "inconsistent standard" or a point of personal investment?

And to answer your question, my remark was aimed at people praising the depiction of Indian culture in the movie, which I think is silly because it didn't feel very grounded in reality to me. It's not really a critique of the movie I guess, but of the response to it if that makes sense. Also I'm no expert so don't take my replies too serious, like I said i didn't even like the movie.
Unsure what the basis of your standards, except that they appear inconsistent.

You avoided answering this question which could dispel any racist appearances in regards to your remarks about the "annoying" Native Americans in the movie
You didn't like the support her brother provided to her? The way he took down that Predator with her help?
What was annoying for you specifically?

As someone immersed in Native American culture I'm curious to learn from your remarks.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
You're saying she doesn't look Hispanic? I'm pretty sure the European part means Spain.

But yes she's from New Mexico apparently, my bad.
My wife is from New Mexico and that place is FULL of hispanic/whites with a wisp of NA ancestry that are "Full blooded comanche" when they get to drinking. If Amber is NA legit she would have a tribal card. Might be from a rez or pueblo, who knows? Her dad is a lakota member so there is that. Mom looks at least partly white to me, maybe half-Thai? Amber definitely could pass as a couple different ethnicities.

Even then, the only real difference between hispanic and NA is a little bit of geography and some older european blood infusions, they are all mixed up nowadays. Hell, my kids could be more NA than Amber and they are only 1/16 or so. It's a common dinner table fight here :p

For film it doesn't really matter. I'm not one that requires my actors to literally be their characters. If anything, the only time it should be mandatory is for veterans. There are MILLIONS of vets in the US and I wish Hollywood required at least some military characters to be vets, would GREATLY clean up the bullshit we get on screen in some films.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Oh my god. Protector of the tribes arrived.
Yeah. I am aware how actual Native American looks n if you also knew it you would see that what was shown in the movie is an insulting parody n would not be so stressed with me using phrase "fake indians" to joke bout it.

One of the producers is full blooded Native American, Comanche and Blackfeet, and was the cultural advisor for the film.

Midthunder's dad is Native American, her mom is ... I guess Latina... Yet most people in Mexico are indigenous descent. Most Spaniards don't look Mexican.

I question your ability to tell who is what.

kurisu_1974

As someone immersed in Native American culture I'm curious to learn from your remarks.

Sure, no ulterior motives there, right.

I answered it when I complained about the childish simplicity of the characters and dialogues. The "bad" male indians came off as a bunch of annoying arrogant asses, but at least they had a personality, unlike the brother and the girl herself, who were not more than character templates. And for me personally, the setting didn't add much, like I also said before. I thought the trappers and how they were depicted was pretty cartoonish and annoying too by the way (especially the bad accents), I'm sure you're OK with that tho.

Don't worry, I have hated a LOT of movies with white dudes in it too.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Sure, no ulterior motives there, right.

I answered it when I complained about the childish simplicity of the characters and dialogues. The "bad" male indians came off as a bunch of annoying arrogant asses, but at least they had a personality, unlike the brother and the girl herself, who were not more than character templates. And for me personally, the setting didn't add much, like I also said before. I thought the trappers and how they were depicted was pretty cartoonish and annoying too by the way (especially the bad accents), I'm sure you're OK with that tho.

Don't worry, I have hated a LOT of movies with white dudes in it too.
There was an arrogant remark about cooking, but there was more complexity to even that character than you recognized.

Later there was caring and respect shown for Naru when the one who made the remark about cooking saw the value in her spotting of that snake with the pred's tracks and the added threat that may imply which would require warning.

You're going to hard on your own idpol and missing the human elements of the story.

Last edited:

Valonquar

She was a fun character in Legion, but that show was just pure awesome overall.

When the French trappers showed up, all I could think of was this sketch:

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

This was literally the strength of the original. Indian tracker, tobacco chewing 'cowboy', nerdy guy who tells pussy jokes, etc. It allowed them to keep the story super lean and get straight into the action.
That's a good point. There is only so much time to dedicate to character establishment without changing the nature of the film to drama. There was enough with Taabe and Aruka to provide familial and community context for the lead's journey and to explain the nature of the Kuhtaamia.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Actual native Americans have responded positively:

"Prey" producer Jhane Myers reportedly poured her heart and soul into the "Predator" prequel — using her knowledge and experience as a member of the Comanche Nation to help construct scenes and props (via The Hollywood Reporter). Evidently, the cast was every bit as dedicated. In fact, "Prey" made Hollywood history before it even hit Hulu, because it is the first franchise movie to have a majority indigenous cast.

In her review of "Prey", film critic and A Tribe Called Geek founder Johnnie Jae referred to "Prey" as "a groundbreaking achievement" for "the entire Comanche Nation."

"It is so much more than just another Predator movie," said Jae, who is from the Otoe-Missouria and Choctaw Tribes of Oklahoma, according to her online bio. "It is a rare tribute to the indigenuity, strength, and sheer stubbornness that has allowed Native people to survive the forces that threaten our survival," Jae explained. Her website, A Tribe Called Geek, is described as an award-winning media platform for Indigenous Geek Culture and STEM.

Vincent Schilling, founder and editor of Native Viewpoint — who is Akwesasne Mohawk — similarly described "Prey" as a film that manages to represent Indigenous people "masterfully" while also holding up as an incredible action film. Indeed, many critics have said that the film deserves to be ranked among the best of the "Predator" movies.

Read More: https://www.looper.com/957089/how-indigenous-critics-really-feel-about-prey/?utm_campaign=clip

"I was admittedly nervous in one sense because, as a Native American journalist, I have seen my share of predatory behavior against Native communities in history," Schilling said. "But due to the diligence of [Dan] Trachtenberg and [Jhane] Myers as well as others, the film doesn't come across as though the Native warriors are just cannon fodder."

In the end, it appears that most Indigenous critics are huge fans of "Prey," with many saying the same things about its representations of Native American culture. "The biggest feeling I have overall is that the film was simply fantastic," Schilling said. "Shoutout to all the cast and crew for doing an exceptional job. You made this Mohawk film reviewer proud."

Also, the director joined his friends for a long discussion about the making of the film:

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

This was literally the strength of the original. Indian tracker, tobacco chewing 'cowboy', nerdy guy who tells pussy jokes, etc. It allowed them to keep the story super lean and get straight into the action.

Sure, but the characters were fun and not "praised for authenticity".

RAÏSanÏa

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Sure, but the characters were fun and not "praised for authenticity".

You realize how many times Hollyweird has lampooned or "othered" Native Americans and their cultures?! They finally portray them authentically and it's a point of contention?! Because they aren't "fun"? I'm really not getting this.

The story is told dramatically... It's taken seriously... More or less... And it's an action, light-horror movie. I liked it a lot!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Actual native Americans have responded positively:
So these folks were all glad to see their culture put into such a misogynistic light with rigid gender roles and oppression of those who defied them?

Was it the 'hawk on a string or the hypothermic herbs that most resonated?

I'm just teasing, the NA stuff was for the most part done as well as anything in a lean action film would be.

But what is a "franchise film"? Any film part of a series? 'Cause I recon Dances with Wolves, Thunderheart, probably quite a few other Westerns, and for sure something like Apocalypto had majority indigenous casts as well. Really stretching for a first with that one, I think.

Ulysses 31

Watched it last night, had a lot of slow parts but was otherwise enjoyable enough, her brother should have been the lead IMO, he stole every scene he was in.
Yeah, it was as if the makers realized he had too much screen presence and they had to get rid of him when they did... :messenger_winking_tongue:

bitbydeath

Yeah, it was as if the makers realized he had too much screen presence and they had to get rid of him when they did... :messenger_winking_tongue:
Yeah, that felt cheap.
Also not sure why she didn’t keep the Predators tech at the end and instead only handed the gun in, unless she hid it and was only keeping it for herself.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, that felt cheap.
Also not sure why she didn’t keep the Predators tech at the end and instead only handed the gun in, unless she hid it and was only keeping it for herself.
No doubt Prey 2 has her digging frantically in that mud pit for the rest of his gear. Wonder if he has any more bouncing betties, those were hella cool.

Alex11

Saw this again. Like it less the second time. The predator seems half witted compared to others. Makes a lot of poor decisions. They did not send their best.
Yeah, but I think this has become an issue in the Alien and/or Predator franchises, dumbing down the creature, and is especially noticeable on the Pred, who is much smarter than the Xeno.

We see this in the very best movies these franchises had, idiotic behaviours.I know that the end must always be ''good triumphs over evil'', and people want a happy/positive or at least a bittersweet ending, but I`m still waiting for a movie where the Xeno/Pred butchers everyone. :messenger_beaming: Or at least have them live up to their expectation of perfect organisms or advanced and intelligent alien race.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it's safe to say I actually like it better than the original Predator now.
No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Unathletic girl who looks like she presses about 10 lbs, runs like Maggie Grace from Taken, and throws a tomahawk like she's never thrown anything in her life beats up group of male Comanche hunters in barehanded MMA match, kills a dozen enormous burly French armed trappers at the same time, defeats superhuman predator in head-to-head medieval duel, and speaks only in smug condescension toward every other character.

Ultra cringe out of 10

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Unathletic girl who looks like she presses about 10 lbs, runs like Maggie Grace from Taken, and throws a tomahawk like she's never thrown anything in her life beats up group of male Comanche hunters in barehanded MMA match, kills a dozen enormous burly French armed trappers at the same time, defeats superhuman predator in head-to-head medieval duel, and speaks only in smug condescension toward every other character.

Ultra cringe out of 10
Epic necro bump. Mods better keep and eye on this guy.

Corpsepyre

Banned

Ultra cringe out of 10

Oh, you're one of those.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Ultra cringe out of 10
Unlike that utter asshole that didn't even bother to address any of your points (good riddance), allow me to politely disagree. I came out with a very different outlook on the film, which I will admit I consider the best of the franchise. Yes, even over John McTiernan's original. But yes, Naru isn't exactly athletic in terms of strength, but her is fast and agile. That doesn't matter much when going against a Yautja hunter though. Even Dutch was manhandled to hell and back.

When we see her, with her MK Scorpion like newfangled tomahawk, it's a brand new thing that she came up with so of course, she's not going to look like a master of it immediately. Her male Comanche companions, she managed to get a good few licks in, but when it's one on one and even then she's nowhere near victory. Her defiance gets get captured and bound. I loved her they needed make her into a character that could not be allowed to hunt because she's a woman, but simply because she is dearly needed as a healer and has not proven herself worthy in any way. The two times she actually tries, she fails miserably and survive thanks to her brother, and later the Feral Predator who views her as a nothing being, not worth a hunt and he watches her swim away.

She doesn't kill a dozen of the French trappers. Like 3 or 4 max, after ambushing them after they are heavily wounded and wound down from barely surviving Feral.

She does defeat him in the finale but her two big hits are, Feral accidentally chopping his own arm off with his own bladed shield, and second when she tries to drown him in the mud pit. Which fails and ends up with her almost decapitated and surviving out of pure luck. When she does kill him...she actually doesn't. He kills himself. She learned about his laser sights, and what they did via multiple scenes of her seeing how they work. She uses Adolini's gun, takes the mask, and uses it as a trap. She uses cunning just like Dutch.

And the end credits basically show that the other waiting Predators came, killed her and her tribe and took the gun back. Which is pretty dark.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
They should remake the original Predator next. The special ops squad would consist of these guys:

mHIJ4Lb.jpg

who all die instantly to the predator in hand to hand combat.

Except for the supremely cocky chopper pilot who is convinced he should be point man instead of waiting behind:

NTB228f.jpg

He would show up to battle afterwards, remain completely unscathed after dueling the predator with fists and melee weapons, then teabag the predator's corpse and paint himself in the predator's iridescent blood.

The first movie patron seen ending their standing ovation after the credits roll would be shipped straight to the gulags.

Spaceman292

Banned

Ultra cringe out of 10
Haha I agree girls are stinky and can't do anything 😭😭😭😭

This movie really mimdbroke a lot of chuds, didn't it?

Last edited:

DKehoe

They should remake the original Predator next. The special ops squad would consist of these guys:

mHIJ4Lb.jpg

who all die instantly to the predator in hand to hand combat.

Except for the supremely cocky chopper pilot who is convinced he should be point man instead of waiting behind:

NTB228f.jpg

He would show up to battle afterwards, remain completely unscathed after dueling the predator with fists and melee weapons, then teabag the predator's corpse and paint himself in the predator's iridescent blood.

The first movie patron seen ending their standing ovation after the credits roll would be shipped straight to the gulags.
What if The Predator is played by Don Frye?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Haha I agree girls are stinky and can't do anything 😭😭😭😭

This movie really mimdbroke a lot of chuds, didn't it?
The ladies all kick ass in the new Mission Impossible and it's great. The movie and the actresses in it convincingly sell the idea that they're fast, highly trained, technical, elite super spies.

The protagonist of Prey literally runs like this:

P77rhIy.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
I find it interesting in the new MI that no lady beats Tom or the main bad guy. Hell, the bad guy
beats BOTH ladies!

I gotta laugh though when a 95 pound brittle boned petite girl takes a shot to the face and just shrugs it off. Fortunately choreography has advanced from the days of the two males standing toe to toe, slugging it out (and then just replacing one of the men with aforementioned petite girl) to include some dodging, body weight takedowns, and a few "oh shit, that really hurt" bits from the ladies after they take a haymaker to the stomach.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I find it interesting in the new MI that no lady beats Tom or the main bad guy. Hell, the bad guy
beats BOTH ladies!

I gotta laugh though when a 95 pound brittle boned petite girl takes a shot to the face and just shrugs it off. Fortunately choreography has advanced from the days of the two males standing toe to toe, slugging it out (and then just replacing one of the men with aforementioned petite girl) to include some dodging, body weight takedowns, and a few "oh shit, that really hurt" bits from the ladies after they take a haymaker to the stomach.

That's what Naru (is that her name?) does. She uses her weight to do takedowns, dodging and other things they teach you in martial arts to make up for where you lack power or strength (body torquing, hip twisting, etc)

Alex11

Well I guess this was a newbie Predator, had level 1, just like Kratos at the start of GOW who could be beaten by a run of the mill mob.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That's what Naru (is that her name?) does. She uses her weight to do takedowns, dodging and other things they teach you in martial arts to make up for where you lack power or strength (body torquing, hip twisting, etc)
You mean that TINY little Asian girl that all the guys let beat them up? It's cute, I'll allow it.

We men just gotta accept these things, it's ok.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I liked Prey. But that doesn’t mean you have to or that I am going to argue about it.

I thought about putting girls rule and mods drool, but I am not going to because we all know mods rule and girls drool. And I don’t want to make a mean joke about those in power.

Top Bottom