• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey - Official Gameplay Trailer

pa22word

If anything this thread tells me all I need to know as to why the System Shock kickstarter wasn't as successful as it should have been.

"It's like dead space mixed with bioshock!"

:\

Machina

Banned
Looking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNHZ9WAertc

1rfs78.jpg

Dude, this screenshot looks insane

dmshaposv

Looks like hot garbage.

They made an interesting space bounty hunter game into a generic sci fi corridor shooter.

Fuck that. Im out.

jimboton

Looks good but maybe a bit much like Bioshock x Dead Space. Why is it always 50's future, 60's future, 70's future or 80's future these days? Is future's future that hard to do?

krang

Looks alright. Has a hint of the X-COM FPS about it (which I'm still bitter about having being ripped apart - that looked fantastic).

This still isn't Prey, though, which upsets me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dreadful trailer. I'm still excited about the game due to the names behind it, and I'm down for a psychological space shooter/rpg, but that trailer does borderline nothing to differentiate itself from the BioShlock template. Nothing stands out as conceptually or mechanically original and distinct. Even the abandoned space station lobby looks like a remixed version of Ratpure, right down to the strewn luggage backs and other goods.

I'm confident there's something great beating at the heart but man that is a weak showing.

pa22word

Dreadful trailer. I'm still excited about the game due to the names behind it, and I'm down for a psychological space shooter/rpg, but that trailer does borderline nothing to differentiate itself from the BioShlock template. Nothing stands out as conceptually or mechanically original and distinct. Even the abandoned space station lobby looks like a remixed version of Ratpure, right down to the strewn luggage backs and other goods.

I'm confident there's something great beating at the heart but man that is a weak showing.

Well considering Bioshock was nothing more than a poor remake of SS2 anyways I don't really mind if it's using SS2 as a base to do things that happen to align with what Bioshock tried to do.

Take 2 nor EA have an exclusive right to take what made the OG SS games great and run it through an AAA meat grinder. Especially considering the best they did with it was Bioshock and Dead Space, respectively, and Arkane took Deus Ex 1 (not Thief) and made Dishonored out of it.

robin2

"gameplay trailer" and there's barely an handful of seconds of it. or am i missing something?

anyway, looks like system shock 3. super hyped.

BBboy20

So it's Geist?
SERIOUSLY, HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE HERE!?

Like, yeah, I thought of that too but even then: HOLY SHIT! WHY ISN'T THIS BEING SHOWN RIGHT NOW?

I know, I know, how different are two shotguns in two games going to look anyway, but damn the fov, the way he holds it, the model... that's pretty damn similar.

Anyway, definitley looking forward to it. Like that it seemingly goes a lot towards psychological horror
It's a talent pool that is part of the Shock-Thief-DuesEx Trifecta so eh.

Surprised at the tepid reactions, everything we've seen/heard so far looks great. And the writing is bound to be top notch.
The trailer was tepid but the impressions are what's going bananas here.

DUDE, read the impressions.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well considering Bioshock was nothing more than a poor remake of SS2 anyways I don't really mind if it's using SS2 as a base to do things that happen to align with what Bioshock tried to do.

Take 2 nor EA have an exclusive right to take what made the OG SS games great and run it through an AAA meat grinder. Especially considering the best they did with it was Bioshock and Dead Space, respectively, and Arkane took Deus Ex 1 (not Thief) and made Dishonored out of it.

I don't disagree with any of this. Especially since I love System Shock but don't really like BioShock. I just think the trailer did an ass job of presenting the game.

DUDE, read the impressions.

No fucking shit. Which is why I commented exclusively on the trailer.

Looks like hot garbage.

They made an interesting space bounty hunter game into a generic sci fi corridor shooter.

Fuck that. Im out.

Did you even read up on the project? Did you read the gameplay impressions? There is nothing generic about it, nor is it a corridor shooter. In fact, it promises a great deal of interesting mechanics and player agency. It's inspired by games like Deus Ex and System Shock, not Call of Duty.

I honestly feel people have some sort of mythical masterpiece in mind when it comes to the canceled Prey and I wonder why. Arkane has a better pedigree than Human Head and I was at E3 2011 where they showed the gameplay demo. As far as I can recall it wasn't playable, but just a vertical slice that was shown. And what was so original about that?

The Blade Runner asthetic is a sci-fi cliche now, the first person parkour was already done by Mirror's Edge and nothing about the enemy design or combat looked that special to me. Let it go.

caleb1915

the reaction seems to be the same as when we first saw the wolfenstein re-imagining and the doom re-imagining; i understand since i was extremely skeptical of everything they showed pre-release as seemingly shallow

I think it's perfectly fine to be at least somewhat hopeful that they can do some really interesting stuff with an IP that doesn't have a lot of lore baggage and never really cemented the ideas beyond sci-fi game and an engine that let you walk on some walls.

haveheart

Banned
Looks like Bioshock+Dishonored artstyle in a System Shock+Dead Space Setting with some HL vibe.

That's a great combination.

And I already can't wait to hear more about the story.

Seeing this thread sitting above the "Prey for the Gods" Kickstarter post makes me wonder how long until we get news of Bethesda going after that game's name.

Did you even read up on the project? Did you read the gameplay impressions? There is nothing generic about it, nor is it a corridor shooter. In fact, it promises a great deal of interesting mechanics and player agency. It's inspired by games like Deus Ex and System Shock, not Call of Duty.

I honestly feel people have some sort of mythical masterpiece in mind when it comes to the canceled Prey and I wonder why. Arkane has a better pedigree than Human Head and I was at E3 2011 where they showed the gameplay demo. As far as I can recall it wasn't playable, but just a vertical slice that was shown. And what was so original about that?

The Blade Runner asthetic is a sci-fi cliche now, the first person parkour was already done by Mirror's Edge and nothing about the enemy design or combat looked that special to me. Let it go.

Name a game where you play an bounty hunter on an alien world that combines parkour different gadgets and weapons to catch or kill your targets. In this or the last generation AAA or AA games. That's what I got watching the demo. I see this and see System Shock/Bioshock like game. I'm actually really interested In THIS Pray 2 sins I like the concept and think Dishonored 1 is a fantastic game and looking forward to the second one. However I can't say I would choose this instead of Human Heads version. And lastly the World of HH version looks more original than the space station in Prey.

Broank

Dishonored was definitely one of my top 3 games from last gen. If Arkane can match the super fun and slick gameplay with more open ended missions and make a sci-fi world as intriguing as Dishonored's then this will be the be one of my top games this gen.

Armigr

Very weak trailer in my opinion. The setting doesn't sell me and the monsters look really uninspired. A first impressions trailer like this is supposed to set the stage and build intrigue, but instead I feel like I've already seen enough to say "No thanks." That doesn't mean they can't still sell me on the game with future marketing material, but for now I can safely say I have lost all interest in this game.

More impressions:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/prey/b/playstation4/archive/2016/08/04/putting-the-alien-back-in-science-fiction.aspx

The demo concluded to a roar of applause from the QuakeCon crowd. I too was impressed by the creative look of the action and powers. Part of me still wants to see what the cancelled Prey 2 would have been, but this new direction by Arkane Studios looks equally as intriguing. Prey is currently slated to launch at an unspecified date in 2017. Put it on your radar, folks. It looks good! You can get a brief look at the gameplay in action in the new trailer.

Jarmel

Banned
Even the abandoned space station lobby looks like a remixed version of Ratpure, right down to the strewn luggage backs and other goods.

That's my concern as well. Feels less like Dead Space/System Shock and more like Bioshock with Rapture. The art direction isn't distinctive enough.

robin2

The art direction isn't distinctive enough.
this is the only gripe i have.
the choice of making the station vintage-looking is... let's say that the old phone on the wall (first screen) looks silly and out of place, when you have weapons with lcd displays.

DrD

Looks pretty cool. The gameplay details sound really interesting so I'm looking forward to seeing them in action. I have faith that Arkane will deliver a great game.

If anything this thread tells me all I need to know as to why the System Shock kickstarter wasn't as successful as it should have been.

"It's like dead space mixed with bioshock!"

:\

"What does this have to do with Bioshock Infinite?"

also, Doom is the best Metroid Prime game released in years

robin2

This was the definite winner of the Quakecon showcase, with each subsequent gameplay reveal making the crowd go nuts. The guns looked solid to use and included your standard fare such as a silenced pistol and a shotgun, while there was weirder weaponry such as the GLOO Gun, which could not only freeze enemies in place, but could be used to seal open pipes and shoot goo onto walls to climb to higher areas. Another cool gadget was this grenade that had the ability to "recycle" things in the environment; thrown in a cluttered storage area, it subsequently turned crates and toolboxes into synthetic elements that could be used. The powers showcased looked cool too, such as the mentioned Mimic ability and the kinetic push ability (both reveals made the audience go nuts). The enemies seen included both aliens and robots, and looked interesting as well. The alien enemies were crazy hard to fight, being able mimic items such as trash cans and books, propelling themselves across the room and able to take a lot of punishment. One hulking alien enemy was chasing the player during the demo and was able to morph from a big brawny looking hulk to this thinner, longer lizard form. The upgrade system resembled a tree system that also allowed for upgraded strength that allowed the player to grab giant boxes and lob them across the room like it weightless. There were zero g sections that were navigated with a jetpack, and the devs said that the whole station was being treated as one open world that could be navigated this way. The art looked more like a cleaner but menacing retro sci fi style, and the entire demo was oozing the best parts of System Shock and Bioshock. Hearing the game being stressed as a first person immersive rpg from the devs was very reassuring, and overall this was definitely my favorite part of the show.
thanks; sounds really awesome.

This was the definite winner of the Quakecon showcase, with each subsequent gameplay reveal making the crowd go nuts. The guns looked solid to use and included your standard fare such as a silenced pistol and a shotgun, while there was weirder weaponry such as the GLOO Gun, which could not only freeze enemies in place, but could be used to seal open pipes and shoot goo onto walls to climb to higher areas. Another cool gadget was this grenade that had the ability to "recycle" things in the environment; thrown in a cluttered storage area, it subsequently turned crates and toolboxes into synthetic elements that could be used. The powers showcased looked cool too, such as the mentioned Mimic ability and the kinetic push ability (both reveals made the audience go nuts). The enemies seen included both aliens and robots, and looked interesting as well. The alien enemies were crazy hard to fight, being able mimic items such as trash cans and books, propelling themselves across the room and able to take a lot of punishment. One hulking alien enemy was chasing the player during the demo and was able to morph from a big brawny looking hulk to this thinner, longer lizard form. The upgrade system resembled a tree system that also allowed for upgraded strength that allowed the player to grab giant boxes and lob them across the room like it weightless. There were zero g sections that were navigated with a jetpack, and the devs said that the whole station was being treated as one open world that could be navigated this way. The art looked more like a cleaner but menacing retro sci fi style, and the entire demo was oozing the best parts of System Shock and Bioshock. Hearing the game being stressed as a first person immersive rpg from the devs was very reassuring, and overall this was definitely my favorite part of the show.
Thanks for the impressions. Sounds awesome.

The reveal trailer did not indicate this was going to be some sort of Geist 2 at all. Boo CG trailers. They rarely if ever represent games accurately. Which in this case appears to have been a good thing. I mean, I don't mind the bleak space sci-fi horror stuff. I'm just not particularly interested by it.
That kind of weird stuff being sprung on you is what was cool about the original Prey. Portals, shrinking puzzles, butthole doors, upside-down-ness and whatnot. Was not expecting that sort of design ethos to be present in this game at all.
As a tool for inducing a prevalent sense of paranoia, the ability for enemies to mimic random objects seems like something that has a lot of potential.

I am now interested in this game. Thumbs up to Arkane from me. And as always, boo to Bethesda.

This all looks and sounds fantastic.

But this isn't Prey and I am dissapointed they moved entirely from the universe Human Head and 3D Realms made.

No mention of gravity rails, portals, indigenous lore and such makes this just another game from Arkane in the vein of Dishonored and not Prey.

The original sequel was much better than what I see here. But obviously there must have been some major issues with that iteration given it was scrapped.

=\

bunkitz

Looks good. Although, I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed with the graphics. I just expected it to look better, I guess? It doesn't look bad, though.

I never played the original, so how does it compare to the original Prey?

adversarial

Coming from someone who didn't give a shit about Prey, and never saw the Prey 2 trailer.. this new game looked awesome, and then I went back to see what the hub-bub was about. Intergalactic Bouny Hunter sounds fucking awesome. Someone do this.

Based on the impressions, art design and the fact that this will no doubt carry Dishonored DNA, I'm really into this.

It's bizarre that it's called Prey to me since I see nothing here remotely related to it. Good thing for me since I thought the original was lame, but I almost didn't even click on this thread. Glad I did anyway.

The shotgun looks good which basically means I'm interested in the game.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
So it's a horror shooter? Okay, I'm fine with that, Arkane has been putting out impressive things. Hope they knock it out of the park. Prey 1 was great, I even it have it on Steam. Doesn't really seem related, but I don't care as long as it's good.

This all looks and sounds fantastic.

But this isn't Prey and I am dissapointed they moved entirely from the universe Human Head and 3D Realms made.

No mention of gravity rails, portals, indigenous lore and such makes this just another game from Arkane in the vein of Dishonored and not Prey.

The original sequel was much better than what I see here. But obviously there must have been some major issues with that iteration given it was scrapped.

=

There were some major issues all right, just not necessarily with the game itself.

Sotha_Sil

We could always use more FPS-RPG games in the System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Dishonored lineage. I'm in.

Top Bottom