• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey - Official Gameplay Trailer

Cwarrior

Looks great, am so in.

best trailer I've seen in while.

Looks like system shock mixed by that great looking X-com game that never happened.

dr_rus

I keep having this dream... Where the game which is called Prey is about native American space bounty hunter who run through portals and stuff...

looks incredible to me. more excited for this than i was the 2006(?) Prey game. and i liked that game.

wasn't too jazzed about the concept for Prey 2 in the first place though. bounty hunter cop guy on alien planet just seemed boring to me. then again i'm not really into crime fiction at all, even with sci-fi thrown into it.

Mr. Tibbs

I'm still surprised that people haven't gotten over that this isn't Prey 2. I think they are kinda doing a disservice to the game itself by making the conversation about the name and what could have been instead of just calling it something else and avoiding all the BS people keep throwing at it since its not the game they saw before.

This looks like System Shock which has me really interested in it, can't wait to see what they do with it.

You reap what you sow. If Bethesda had honored their agreement with Human Head, we would have had Prey 2 back in 2012, with Prey 3 and a new IP from Arkane Austin in 2017. We lost out on two games.

Because they behaved like sociopaths back in 2011/2012, Bethesda's intention is to make people completely forget about the original Prey games. You are never going to see the original Prey for sale again digitally.

Arkane Austin do not want their System Shock homage to be attached to something like Prey, which has SO much baggage at this point, but they don't have a choice in the matter. Still, it could be worse. If Arkane team members hadn't leaked internal emails a few years ago the game would likely be called Prey 2 (2017) now!

Floody

If it wasn't called Prey I'd probably be much more excited, I really wanted that space bounty hunter game.Well anyways I'm at least interested, will wait for more before deciding if it's for me or not though.

SJRB

Gold Member
The monologue at the start really, really clicks with me. I have a thing for crazy psychological abstract space horror and way, WAY more games and movies should have a theme like this.

A bit more on the overall plot and direction and some screenshots:

Overview

Prey is a first-person sci-fi action game from Arkane Studios, the award-winning creators of the 2012 ‘Game of the Year’, Dishonored. Known for their creative gameplay, distinctive worlds and immersive stories, Arkane reimagines this franchise from the ground up, with an added psychological twist. In Prey, you are the first human enhanced with alien powers aboard a desolate space station under assault. Improvise and innovate in order to survive as you search for answers. Prey is a bold new story set in a dangerous universe.

Story

In Prey, you awaken aboard Talos I, a space station orbiting the moon in the year 2032. You are the key subject of an experiment meant to alter humanity forever – but things have gone terribly wrong. The space station has been overrun by hostile aliens and you are now being hunted. As you dig into the dark secrets of Talos I and your own past, you must survive using the tools found on the station — your wits, weapons, and mind-bending abilities. The fate of the Talos I and everyone aboard is in your hands.

Features

• Sci-Fi Thriller – Nothing is as it seems aboard Talos I. As Morgan Yu, set out to unravel the clues you’ve left behind for yourself, and discover the truth about your past. What role will you play in TranStar’s plans, and the mysterious threat ravaging the station?
  • Singular Setting – Orbiting the Moon, the Talos I space station symbolizes the height of private space enterprise. Explore a lavish craft designed to reflect corporate luxury of the 1960s, and navigate interconnected, non-linear pathways built to hide countless secrets.
  • Unimaginable Threat – The shadowy extraterrestrial presence infesting Talos I is a living ecology bent on annihilating its prey. It’s up to you, one of the last remaining survivors aboard the station, to end the deadly attack of these haunting predators.
  • Play Your Way – Gain alien abilities to develop a distinct combination of powers and upgrade your unique skills. Craft increasingly useful items with the blueprints, gadgets and tools on board the station to overcome dangerous obstacles in your way. Survive unprecedented threats with your wits and ability to improvise.

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/prey-debut-gameplay-trailer-screenshots#ZjVGCdw6y3sIBB6j.99

1rfs78.jpg

2m7sag.jpg

3ufs0x.jpg

You reap what you sow. If Bethesda had honored their agreement with Human Head, we would have had Prey 2 back in 2012, with Prey 3 and a new IP from Arkane Austin in 2017. We lost out on two games.

Because they behaved like sociopaths back in 2011/2012, Bethesda's intention is to make people completely forget about the original Prey games. You are never going to see the original Prey for sale again digitally.

Arkane Austin do not want their System Shock homage to be attached to something like Prey, which has SO much baggage at this point, but they don't have a choice in the matter. Still, it could be worse. If Arkane team members hadn't leaked internal emails a few years ago the game would likely be called Prey 2 (2017) now!

Honestly the original Prey wasn't very good at best and is massively forgettable, the concept of Prey 2 seemed interesting but people act like it was going to be the best game in the world and I severely doubt that. Not saying Bethesda hasn't dealt with all this in the most shittiest of ways but I think people put way to much stock in what could have been. Deals fall through, big companies act like dicks and cancel games, look at what EA did to well... everything they've ever touched for the most part. People like to harp on EA for a lot of shit but you better believe people start on that hype machine the moment something new is announced, not the case here though people are still way to upset about something that really didn't impact them at all and I'm just tired of hearing about it when the conversation could be better served by talking about the game were getting instead of game (or games) that could have been.

I'm still surprised that people haven't gotten over that this isn't Prey 2. I think they are kinda doing a disservice to the game itself by making the conversation about the name and what could have been instead of just calling it something else and avoiding all the BS people keep throwing at it since its not the game they saw before.

Blame Bethesda. It's not a "the old game's development went poorly, and it had to be canned — be thankful we're getting something!" situation. It's a "the game was content complete, and Bethesda canceled it because the developer wouldn't let themselves be bought out for a paltry sum after having their game held hostage" situation.

Prey 2 had achievements in the STEAM registry meaning it was either finished or really close to being done.

Arlene was bought out by Bethesda, though. That's why you're getting this. Hope things work out for Arkane moving forward

And in case you missed it, read this:

Edit:

Honestly the original Prey wasn't very good at best and is massively forgettable, the concept of Prey 2 seemed interesting but people act like it was going to be the best game in the world and I severely doubt that. Not saying Bethesda hasn't dealt with all this in the most shittiest of ways but I think people put way to much stock in what could have been. Deals fall through, big companies act like dicks and cancel games, look at what EA did to well... everything they've ever touched for the most part. People like to harp on EA for a lot of shit but you better believe people start on that hype machine the moment something new is announced, not the case here though people are still way to upset about something that really didn't impact them at all and I'm just tired of hearing about it when the conversation could be better served by talking about the game were getting instead of game (or games) that could have been.

You're saying people should be okay with what Bethesda has done (and will probably continue to do)? And hat because EA is scummy, people can't call this out? And that future potential collaborators with Bethesda shouldn't be warned about their history with hostile takeovers?

Or are you okay with terrible practices being called out, but you just have a particular preference for how much is posted? If so, please layout exactly how many posts people are allowed to make about this plz

Blame Bethesda. It's not a "the old game's development went poorly, and it had to be canned — be thankful we're getting something!" situation. It's a "the game was content complete, and Bethesda canceled it because the developer wouldn't let themselves be bought out for a paltry sum after having their game held hostage" situation.

Prey 2 had achievements in the STEAM registry meaning it was either finished or really close to being done.

Arlene was bought out by Bethesda, though. That's why you're getting this. Hope things work out for Arkane moving forward

And in case you missed it, read this:

Edit:

You're saying people should be okay with what Bethesda has done (and will probably continue to do)? And hat because EA is scummy, people can't call this out? And that future potential collaborators with Bethesda shouldn't be warned about their history with hostile takeovers?

Or are you okay with terrible practices being called out, but you just have a particular preference for how much is posted? If so, please layout exactly how many posts people are allowed to make about this plz

I didn't say people should be okay with what Bethesda did, I'm saying people are far to upset about this particular instance when other companies do far worse things on a regular basis, ignoring EA since its the easy target look how Microsoft has treated its developers in the past few years. They've closed studios and canceled projects that were finished or nearly finished (Lionhead and Fable Legends), lied about games that were in development (Phantom Dust) and lets not forget the entire way the original Xbox One was designed to be the most anti-consumer console ever created but those aren't brought up about the Scorpio, or the Xbox Slim anymore are they? No, because many people got over them. It can still be a topic of discussion but its not the overriding narrative for those systems by any means.

My problem is that pretty much every other post in any topic about this new Prey game is just whining about Prey 2 when in reality Prey 2 could have been absolutely god awful or it could have been really good, but the thing is we don't know. It's not like we are discussing a game that we've seen, played, and knew was going to be absolutely worth it, were discussing 'what ifs' and 'what could have beens' on a subject that is several years old. It's been talked about again and again and at this point I'm just re-reading the same complaints as I did years ago and I personally am just tired of the conversation being about something we don't even have a completed version to actually compare anything too. I'm not saying Bethesda didn't do some horrible and shitty things but I am saying not every discussion about this game has to be derailed by discussion of Prey 2. This doesn't happen with every Star Wars game because 1313 got canceled, it shouldn't happen here.

I want to talk about THIS Prey game, what do you like or not like about what were seeing about it (besides that its not fucking Prey 2!)? Does the idea that despite the name that its very like Bioshock or System Shock interest you? That kind of thing.

Edit: 4 of the 7 posts between your post and this one were bringing up Prey 2 or how this doesn't look like Prey/Prey2. While its possible some people just aren't informed of what happened sevearl of those posts specifically mention how they wish it was Prey 2 instead, thats what I'm talking about and tired of hearing again and again.

Looks kind of like a FPS Horror with a mix of Bio/systemshock thrown in but I really wished the original Prey 2 would have been made. The space bounty hunter aspect with parkour gameplay that was originally planned for Prey 2 seemed pretty cool.

I didn't say people should be okay with what Bethesda did, I'm saying people are far to upset about this particular instance when other companies do far worse things on a regular basis, ignoring EA since its the easy target look how Microsoft has treated its developers in the past few years. They've closed studios and canceled projects that were finished or nearly finished (Lionhead and Fable Legends), lied about games that were in development (Phantom Dust) and lets not forget the entire way the original Xbox One was designed to be the most anti-consumer console ever created but those aren't brought up about the Scorpio, or the Xbox Slim anymore are they? No, because many people got over them. It can still be a topic of discussion but its not the overriding narrative for those systems by any means.

My problem is that pretty much every other post in any topic about this new Prey game is just whining about Prey 2 when in reality Prey 2 could have been absolutely god awful or it could have been really good, but the thing is we don't know. It's not like we are discussing a game that we've seen, played, and knew was going to be absolutely worth it, were discussing 'what ifs' and 'what could have beens' on a subject that is several years old. It's been talked about again and again and at this point I'm just re-reading the same complaints as I did years ago and I personally am just tired of the conversation being about something we don't even have a completed version to actually compare anything too. I'm not saying Bethesda didn't do some horrible and shitty things but I am saying not every discussion about this game has to be derailed by discussion of Prey 2. This doesn't happen with every Star Wars game because 1313 got canceled, it shouldn't happen here.

I want to talk about THIS Prey game, what do you like or not like about what were seeing about it (besides that its not fucking Prey 2!)? Does the idea that despite the name that its very like Bioshock or System Shock interest you? That kind of thing.

Edit: 4 of the 7 posts between your post and this one were bringing up Prey 2 or how this doesn't look like Prey/Prey2. While its possible some people just aren't informed of what happened sevearl of those posts specifically mention how they wish it was Prey 2 instead, thats what I'm talking about and tired of hearing again and again.

Then just talk about Nu Prey. No matter how deep under your skin the discussion of Prey 2/Bethesda's dealings gets, it's intrinsically tied to the existence of Nu Prey. So far, people are allowed to discuss that, and not everyone knows what happened with Human Head's Prey 2 — it's reasonable that people would mention that this doesn't look like what was shown off before.

You keep telling people to "get over it," — take your own advice and get over the fact that people will call out Bethesda+ZeniMax for being horrid publishers with horrid practices.

"Ignoring EA"... lmao. The company that got voted worst company a couple years in a row is getting ignored? They're not being brought up in a thread about a Bethesda-published game, so they must be getting ignored, right? (answer: no)

The gameplay impressions sound interesting but I feel like not buying this just to give a middle finger to Bethesda for what they did to Prey 2. Man that looked like it could have been one of my favorite games :(

Please be great. I actually didn't like Dishonored despite enjoying the old Thief games as well as Arkane's earlier outings so hopefully this will pull me back in.

I don't know. Shooting didn't look too hot. The shadow things are lame too. Corny build up too. I mean the idea is cool, but i'm not sold on this yet. Nothing in this was of any note. It just looked super generic.

I'm hyped because the studio is legit, but this video didn't impress me for shit.

d00d3n

I wonder if all enemies will use that graphical effect. Looks cool, but may get old after a couple of hours.

Then just talk about Nu Prey. No matter how deep under your skin the discussion of Prey 2/Bethesda's dealings gets, it's intrinsically tied to the existence of Nu Prey. So far, people are allowed to discuss that, and not everyone knows what happened with Human Head's Prey 2 — it's reasonable that people would mention that this doesn't look like what was shown off before.

You keep telling people to "get over it," — take your own advice and get over the fact that people will call out Bethesda+ZeniMax for being horrid publishers with horrid practices.

"Ignoring EA"... lmao. The company that got voted worst company a couple years in a row is getting ignored? They're not being brought up in a thread about a Bethesda-published game, so they must be getting ignored, right? (answer: no)

It's pretty freaking hard to talk about the new Prey when near every other post is saying 'WHY ISN'T THIS PREY 2' or 'PREY 2 LOOKED BETTER' on and on again, if you want so badly to discuss a topic of Prey 2 vs. this game or otherwise why not just make a topic about that instead of derailing this thread and game because you don't like what Bethesda did?

I have not once said to get over it, in fact I've said the opposite I get why people are upset about Prey 2 but not every thread about this new game needs to be drowned out by people whining that it isn't Prey 2. People want to ask about why it doesn't look like Prey 2 fine let them ask and answer it but its going far beyond that. Pretty much every Prey topic I've seen has devolved into whining about Prey 2 instead of talking about the game we are actually getting. I'm not saying you shouldn't complain or people shouldn't know about it, what I'm saying is that there is a time and place for it and its not in every freaking Prey thread. Comparing the two games is one thing but most of the posts are ones like:
All this game does for me is remind me how amazing Prey 2 looked. Thanks Bethesda, you dicks.
Its just excessive at this point.

I said I was ignoring EA because they were an easy target because I wanted to make my point about other publishers being just as shitty without going after that easy target which is why I brought up Microsoft, clearly you didn't understand that so I thought I should clarify.

It's pretty freaking hard to talk about the new Prey when near every other post is saying 'WHY ISN'T THIS PREY 2' or 'PREY 2 LOOKED BETTER' on and on again, if you want so badly to discuss a topic of Prey 2 vs. this game or otherwise why not just make a topic about that instead of derailing this thread and game because you don't like what Bethesda did?

I have not once said to get over it, in fact I've said the opposite I get why people are upset about Prey 2 but not every thread about this new game needs to be drowned out by people whining that it isn't Prey 2. People want to ask about why it doesn't look like Prey 2 fine let them ask and answer it but its going far beyond that. Pretty much every Prey topic I've seen has devolved into whining about Prey 2 instead of talking about the game we are actually getting. I'm not saying you shouldn't complain or people shouldn't know about it, what I'm saying is that there is a time and place for it and its not in every freaking Prey thread. Comparing the two games is one thing but most of the posts are ones like: Its just excessive at this point.

I said I was ignoring EA because they were an easy target because I wanted to make my point about other publishers being just as shitty without going after that easy target which is why I brought up Microsoft, clearly you didn't understand that so I thought I should clarify.

Bruh, you are trying to dictate what people can discuss about the game. People discuss the most tangential aspects of a game's development, from voice actors to concept art. I can't understand why you won't just discuss this game as it is now if the discussion about the game's history bothers you. If you have a problem with that discussion existing, then you have a problem with the reality of Bethesda's practices, not with people talking about it.

We aren't going to have a moratorium on talking about Konami's shady history every time a new pachinko machine comes out. You can't tell people to ignore context for a game's release just because you think it kills discussion — just quote the posts that have blinders on and go from there.

Teeth

it's a "the game was content complete, and Bethesda canceled it because the developer wouldn't let themselves be bought out for a paltry sum after having their game held hostage" situation.

No it doesn't.

"We" don't know anything at all about the completeness of Prey 2.

Not saying anything about the actions of Bethesda, but no one outside of HH and Beth know what the actual state if the game was.

Shredderi

I didn't say people should be okay with what Bethesda did, I'm saying people are far to upset about this particular instance when other companies do far worse things on a regular basis

Far worse than what Bethesda did to Human Head and on regular basis? This was really fucking bad what they did. Super fucking shady. Bethesda deserves all the shade they get from what they did.

NuPrey looks interesting but I'm disappointed that they chose to go with cartoony visuals ala Dishonored.

Experien

The fact that this isn't Prey yet they are using the name is turning me off. They are going to have to sell this hard to me to give this a chance. I was far from impressed with Dishonored and especially their "morality" system set up.

I just can't get excited for games where you possess other people/things. It really takes me out of being the character the designers intended me to play as. I anticipate it'll be entirely optional, though, ala Dishonored, which is good.

Top Bottom