• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey - Official Gameplay Trailer

dlauv

I don't really care much for CG trailers ever, but Prey's CG trailer had me excited. I think it was the horror atmosphere and enemies.

This looks really simple and cartoonish. "It's not a dream; it's a nightmare!" didn't help either.

CrayToes

They weren't joking about wanting to make System Shock 3. Looks very, very good.

Why aren't they using idTech though?

Senteevs

As soon as I saw the golden statues, I got a Bioshock vibe.
But it looks more like Half-Life meets Dead Space.

Nzyme32

Looks a fair bit worse than I thought it would, graphically, not that it matters all too much as long as the game is good, but was hoping for something as mad as Doom.

I assume this is the Void Engine; same as Dishonoured 2?

Avelone remains a selling point

UrbanRats

Prey 2 looked like a game with an interesting design concept.

This looks like Bioshock in space.

Not that thrilled.

Papacheeks

Banned
This looks boring as fuck. It's sad that this is what we get after Human head studios got fucked with what Prey 2 was going to be.

That shit looked pretty amazing.

Molemitts

This is Molemitts, the year is 2016.

I keep having this need to bring up the year. I'm just trying to set a sci-fi tone.

Khezu

I just can't let Prey 2 go.

This could end up being the best game ever created by humans, and I still would be disappointed by it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That looks good, but I still have no idea how it'll play at all, so I'm kind of neutral to it.

Damn those little ones are straight up poison headcrabs.

Fuck these things. Fuck them hard. I hope it isn't a pain in the ass to kill these things.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm a sucker for sci-fi. I hope this ends up good.
This is Molemitts, the year is 2016.

I keep having this need to bring up the year. I'm just trying to set a sci-fi tone.

I feel this trope should be named "Bojacking" in honour of Bojack Horseman. Every damn flashback scene someone mentions the exact year or date :lol.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
CryEngine.

tumblr_mq7qatlGk71rzoi3uo1_500.gif

An interesting take on the Prey series, I have to wonder why Prey 2 was scrapped and the series was rebooted though.

You wanna know why? Bethesda tried to fuck over Human Head Studios but HHS was having none of it and told Bethesda to go fuck themselves.

Bethesda has this really scummy thing they do with independent developers where they contract them to make games but then keep reducing deadlines/budget to constrain the developer and finally attempt a buyout for cheap when the developer has their hands tied. That's pretty much what happened with Arkane, Bethesda strongarmed them into a buyout during Dishonored.

Fuck Bethesda theyre one of the scummiest publisher around.

Arkane is talented as hell, as are a lot of the devs Bethesda has/tried to takeover. Best thing I can say about that publisher is they have a good eye

So there are like 3 secs of gameplay in that "Gameplay Trailer". They should just call it "In Engine Trailer".

I hope you are trolling.

Dishonored was miles better than Thief, one of the best games of last gen to some people. We are talking about that "Thief" reboot tho, right?

So, another parasite-esque zergrushing type of threat. Why is every sci fi always this? Even Halo to my surprise had something like that.

So tired of this archetype in Sci Fi games T_T

dreamfall

I felt a little underwhelmed, but I'm excited to see more.

I want some psychological horror mixed in with tight gunplay.

Wait is the protagonist not even Native American in this? Wasn't that important in the first Prey (I've never played it)?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Going off the ammo count being on the weapon I take it Arkane is going for minimal/no HUD? Tell me more...

647zvxT.png

7VO2LLt.png

Man in stills it really shows how flat the lighting is. It's straight up Human Revolution tier in how flat everything looks.

Teeth

I feel like this is going to be the type of game that is way better to play than it is to look at; expansive level design, interesting player abilities, solid writing, heady themes.

Still as hyped as ever based on developers, intent, and pedigree.

bounchfx

doesnt look like prey, but looks neat nonetheless. gotta get dat name recognition value I guess. the enemies look dope. weapons looked dull.

Mr. Tibbs

Dave Oshry is live tweeting from the Prey Quakecon presentation:

Prey 2 has a lot of RPG elements and deep talent trees. Was not expecting that.

Prey 2 has a glue gun. You shoot it at enemies and turn them into glue. Ok.

In Prey 2 you can turn into a coffee mug to get through tight spaces disguised as a coffee mug. Ok.

In Prey 2 you can also use your Gloo gun to make stairs and such. Out of glue. Ok

In Prey 2 you can throw grenades that suck things into black holes. Ok

Britton Peele's thoughts:

Seeing Prey gameplay now. Dude is wielding a wrench, which lends this whole thing another level of Bioshock feel. But "weapons are rare."

The aliens in Prey can become objects like furniture. Could be a good way of messing with players.

One glance at the game's RPG elements and I'd say that this new Prey is clearly more like System Shock than the old Prey.

Oh snap, like the aliens, you can get the ability to turn into objects. They just showed turning into a cup to get through a small window.

They then used a glue gun to scale a wall. Looks like there could be some cool environmental puzzles in #Prey. #QuakeCon

You can also chain powers together. After using Mimic to become a small object, you can use Kinetic Blast to get yourself up high.

Now there's some antigravity stuff in space (complete with thrust ad O2 meters). This is the only thing that's even reminiscent of old Prey.

The space station where #Prey takes place is one big, open world. I wonder how guided the experience will be.

#Prey will ship sometime in 2017. Looks pretty cool so far. I'm interested in seeing more.

"That game is crazy fun to play and it's given me an irrational fear of trashcans," says @DCDeacon

So, another parasite-esque zergrushing type of threat. Why is every sci fi always this? Even Halo to my surprise had something like that.

So tired of this archetype in Sci Fi games T_T

There's hopefully something more to them or at least what's going on with the station; the bit where the spider-thing either uncovers an invisible chair or somehow places one seemed interesting.

7bgECNp.gif

Wait is the protagonist not even Native American in this? Wasn't that important in the first Prey (I've never played it)?

This time he or she (your choice) is like, east asian in heritage or something?

Yeah, tommy is gone.
----

I like the idea of the game if it is basically a "shock" game in space (would not be the first, har har har), but I need to see more. I am a bit surprised how simplistic some of the assets though looked for being a CryEngine game: an engine which can push a heck of a lot of polygons.

I am curious to see PC footage, if and when they release it.
---

Oh wow... they are actually going for systems based gameplay and not like the "pseudo systems" stuff Bioshock did? Interesting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's hopefully something more to them or at least what's going on with the station; the bit where the spider-thing either uncovers an invisible chair or somehow places one seemed interesting.

7bgECNp.gif

They actually turn into the objects. The other example they gave is them turning into a coffee cup.

Top Bottom