• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey - Official Gameplay Trailer

Looking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNHZ9WAertc

33IESw4.png

Al7f3VV.png

Some impressions from the extended Quakecon demo:
This was the definite winner of the Quakecon showcase, with each subsequent gameplay reveal making the crowd go nuts. The guns looked solid to use and included your standard fare such as a silenced pistol and a shotgun, while there was weirder weaponry such as the GLOO Gun, which could not only freeze enemies in place, but could be used to seal open pipes and shoot goo onto walls to climb to higher areas. Another cool gadget was this grenade that had the ability to "recycle" things in the environment; thrown in a cluttered storage area, it subsequently turned crates and toolboxes into synthetic elements that could be used. The powers showcased looked cool too, such as the mentioned Mimic ability and the kinetic push ability (both reveals made the audience go nuts). The enemies seen included both aliens and robots, and looked interesting as well. The alien enemies were crazy hard to fight, being able mimic items such as trash cans and books, propelling themselves across the room and able to take a lot of punishment. One hulking alien enemy was chasing the player during the demo and was able to morph from a big brawny looking hulk to this thinner, longer lizard form. The upgrade system resembled a tree system that also allowed for upgraded strength that allowed the player to grab giant boxes and lob them across the room like it weightless. There were zero g sections that were navigated with a jetpack, and the devs said that the whole station was being treated as one open world that could be navigated this way. The art looked more like a cleaner but menacing retro sci fi style, and the entire demo was oozing the best parts of System Shock and Bioshock. Hearing the game being stressed as a first person immersive rpg from the devs was very reassuring, and overall this was definitely my favorite part of the show.

Overview

Prey is a first-person sci-fi action game from Arkane Studios, the award-winning creators of the 2012 ‘Game of the Year’, Dishonored. Known for their creative gameplay, distinctive worlds and immersive stories, Arkane reimagines this franchise from the ground up, with an added psychological twist. In Prey, you are the first human enhanced with alien powers aboard a desolate space station under assault. Improvise and innovate in order to survive as you search for answers. Prey is a bold new story set in a dangerous universe.

Story

In Prey, you awaken aboard Talos I, a space station orbiting the moon in the year 2032. You are the key subject of an experiment meant to alter humanity forever – but things have gone terribly wrong. The space station has been overrun by hostile aliens and you are now being hunted. As you dig into the dark secrets of Talos I and your own past, you must survive using the tools found on the station — your wits, weapons, and mind-bending abilities. The fate of the Talos I and everyone aboard is in your hands.

Features

• Sci-Fi Thriller – Nothing is as it seems aboard Talos I. As Morgan Yu, set out to unravel the clues you’ve left behind for yourself, and discover the truth about your past. What role will you play in TranStar’s plans, and the mysterious threat ravaging the station?
  • Singular Setting – Orbiting the Moon, the Talos I space station symbolizes the height of private space enterprise. Explore a lavish craft designed to reflect corporate luxury of the 1960s, and navigate interconnected, non-linear pathways built to hide countless secrets.
  • Unimaginable Threat – The shadowy extraterrestrial presence infesting Talos I is a living ecology bent on annihilating its prey. It’s up to you, one of the last remaining survivors aboard the station, to end the deadly attack of these haunting predators.
  • Play Your Way – Gain alien abilities to develop a distinct combination of powers and upgrade your unique skills. Craft increasingly useful items with the blueprints, gadgets and tools on board the station to overcome dangerous obstacles in your way. Survive unprecedented threats with your wits and ability to improvise.

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/prey-debut-gameplay-trailer-screenshots#ZjVGCdw6y3sIBB6j.99

1rfs78.jpg

2m7sag.jpg

3ufs0x.jpg

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
That gunplay ain't looking too hot but could just be the quick cuts.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
meh. I liked the last gen version better. this is basically a First person horror game.

Zukkoyaki

Looks fantastic! I'm loving the horror-vibes and the story looks legit interesting. Arkane is a stellar dev as well.

One of my most anticipated titles of 2017!

Rellik

Not feeling it yet. Prey 2 looked like something I'd rather play. I'll keep an eye on this though.

Sliver

Really don't find shadow monsters like in that trailer very scary. Shit like from Alan Wake, just boring.

Ugh, I'm still tight about Prey 2 being scrapped. That looked amazing.

Not sure about this one yet, but Arkane are solid so IDK let's see

Cardon

Hoping they continue to tweak the look of the shadow entities or whatever you want to call them. They looked a bit too together in a sense as opposed to feeling like a shifting mass or otherworldly substance.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Really don't find shadow monsters like in that trailer very scary. Shit like from Alan Wake, just boring.

I don't think this type of game is actually supposed to be a horror title so much as a visually thematic horror title that's otherwise a regular action-adventure game with light RPG elements.

Croash

What a nice surprise, I thought the wait would be longer for an in-engine trailer.

This looks sweet, I'm always ready for horror/sci-fi.

Wondering how the title fits the story now.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
An interesting take on the Prey series, I have to wonder why Prey 2 was scrapped and the series was rebooted though.

You wanna know why? Bethesda tried to fuck over Human Head Studios but HHS was having none of it and told Bethesda to go fuck themselves.

Bethesda has this really scummy thing they do with independent developers where they contract them to make games but then keep reducing deadlines/budget to constrain the developer and finally attempt a buyout for cheap when the developer has their hands tied. That's pretty much what happened with Arkane, Bethesda strongarmed them into a buyout during Dishonored.

Fuck Bethesda theyre one of the scummiest publisher around.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looks... pretty boring? Take away the gimmick of the initial trailer and this just looks incredibly generic. I'm not sure what the hook is at all.

Top Bottom