• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

I picked this game up the other week and it is so, so good. I was at the A
rboretum
and went down to C
rew Quarters
. As soon as the load screen is done,
Nightmare
comes charging me. Nearly gave me a heart attack lol.

Ushay

I've not done a whole lot, I'm up to the
Psychotronics
section and this game feels like it will be my GOTY. There is so much depth and content, I'm amazed at the level of detail Arkane have put into, easily their best effort imo.

tonypark

I played on og Ps4, and never had it freeze. But any game that freezes that much I'd reinstall.

I didn't reinstalled but played 10 more hours now and no freezes so thats good! The game is absolutly amazing! I usually hate crafting systems but imo this game does it right.

JJShadow

Need advice guys: Typhon powers, yay or nay? Do they have an effect in the story or ending? I'm tempted to use them but I'm scared of getting smashed by turrets lol

Ricker

So many sidequest that I cant figure out near the end...and those markers suck...besides that,loving it still.

Need advice guys: Typhon powers, yay or nay? Do they have an effect in the story or ending? I'm tempted to use them but I'm scared of getting smashed by turrets lol

I had one instance where Turrets where a problem...its not really a big enough concern to base your choice on that...I have a bit of everything and so far,there'S only one thing I can't do because I dont have a skill and its probably doable differently but I cant figure it out...

Big sidequest spoiler
Is the Cook in a random location or at the same place for everyone?

So many sidequest that I cant figure out near the end...and those markers suck...besides that,loving it still.

I had one instance where Turrets where a problem...its not really a big enough concern to base your choice on that...I have a bit of everything and so far,there'S only one thing I can't do because I dont have a skill and its probably doable differently but I cant figure it out...

Big sidequest spoiler
Is the Cook in a random location or at the same place for everyone?

I think it's the same place.

On my first run I went only human powers and maxed out all 3 trees. It was super fun and I recommend it, but if you are only going to play through the game once you should try some Typhon powers as well.

McHuj

Another game that turns into a chore at the end. ugh.

I'm on the last mission and low and ammo and supplies. Just can't bring myself to finish it. Unfortunate because I really liked it for about 80% of the way.

Lingitiz

Another game that turns into a chore at the end. ugh.

I'm on the last mission and low and ammo and supplies. Just can't bring myself to finish it. Unfortunate because I really liked it for about 80% of the way.

I burned out a lot sooner. About half way through I realized the combat wasn't ever going to get fun. Also disliked how the side quests flowed so poorly throughout the game, causing you to backtrack and hunt stuff down really far away from your current location.

Ricker

Yep,I think I will just do the 2 main story quest(why 2,one you cant do before the other anyway,why place a marker to a place with nothing there yet)...I have a transcribe at a service station where nothing happens in a service atation,all those names on the stations to find or dead or safe is confusing,plus all the ennemies respawn after a while which is getting annoying...still cant find the Cook...

I will give it one more ride in the Exterior through all the hatches,because going inside to Crew Quarters is a pain for example,got a few sidequests there and be done.

Sande

Yep,I think I will just do the 2 main story quest(why 2,one you cant do before the other anyway,why place a marker to a place with nothing there yet)...I have a transcribe at a service station where nothing happens in a service atation,all those names on the stations to find or dead or safe is confusing,plus all the ennemies respawn after a while which is getting annoying...still cant find the Cook...
You can find him on your own I think, but (very minor spoiler)
progressing far enough in the story activates a quest for finding him

Maybe you're supposed to track someone specific at the security station?

Which quest points you to a place with nothing? I don't remember anything like that.

Ricker

You can find him on your own I think, but (very minor spoiler)
progressing far enough in the story activates a quest for finding him

Maybe you're supposed to track someone specific at the security station?

Which quest points you to a place with nothing? I don't remember anything like that.

Yeah I meant security stations lol...it took more then half the game to realise that all those names on there,where getting tracked,but one at a time..at first I clicked them all and the new quest thing kept popping up and I wasnt sure about that...so if I found a dead corpse but it wasnt tracked,I will miss some kind of Trophy...? not that I am going for a platinum on this one lol...

Also how do I transcribe at a security station...?

About the quest marker,main story spoiler
Its the stuff about the keys and Alex in his office...mine is made,I even managed to place it where it belongs,watched the video in Alex's office and the quest tells me is in there to give me his key,but he is not...the second main story quest is about going out in the Exterior to scan some cores,died the first time I tried...maybe he will show up after I scan the 2 cores...?

Sande

Yeah I meant security stations lol...it took more then half the game to realise that all those names on there,where getting tracked,but one at a time..at first I clicked them all and the new quest thing kept popping up and I wasnt sure about that...so if I found a dead corpse but it wasnt tracked,I will miss some kind of Trophy...? not that I am going for a platinum on this one lol...

Also how do I transcribe at a security station...?

About the quest marker,main story spoiler
Its the stuff about the keys and Alex in his office...mine is made,I even managed to place it where it belongs,watched the video in Alex's office and the quest tells me is in there to give me his key,but he is not...the second main story quest is about going out in the Exterior to scan some cores,died the first time I tried...maybe he will show up after I scan the 2 cores...?
You don't need to track people for the trophy. I don't know what you mean by transcribing. You can select one crew member's bracelet that will show on your map and HUD, sort of like a quest like you said. That's about it.

IIRC Alex
contacts you about giving you the key card after you do the scanning thing. Maybe the quest descriptions are not clear about that

Ricker

You don't need to track people for the trophy. I don't know what you mean by transcribing. You can select one crew member's bracelet that will show on your map and HUD, sort of like a quest like you said. That's about it.

IIRC Alex
contacts you about giving you the key card after you do the scanning thing. Maybe the quest descriptions are not clear about that

Okay thanks...just found a few things out this morning finally lol...the transcribe thing I meant is just listening to audio logs,so that unlocked a few things and yeah I did the main quest part core thing and...
well yeah,far from over it seems lol,thank god I took the skill to control robotic stuff...

Still cant figure out crate 3232,unless... ;p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like this game deserves more recognition and praise. I got it as an add-on bonus for buying my video card recently and didn't really know a lot about the game, but it's got me hooked. I've probably put in 10+ hours in the last few days and am just finished with the "Deep Storage" area.

It's really well made and I'm finding the whole experience to be extremely a enjoyable. Much more so than even Dishonored 2 and the last Deus Ex game.

I'm in a bit of a pickle, I think, and I need some help on how best to proceed. First off, I'm terrible at this game. I'm playing on Easy and I've died more in this game than probably the last half a dozen or so games I've recently played combined. But, I just got through a space section, rescued a scientist who was trapped in a container (Igwe?), and now I just met up with some people held up behind some glass asking me to build some turrets. The problem is I'm low on resources and I kept dying right outside where a Phantom and an... Electric Phantom (I don't remember the name) are patrolling around a recycler and fabricator. I'm worried that I don't have enough material to make some turrets (how many exactly do I even need to make?). Is there no other way to proceed or do I probably need to backtrack and scrounge around for what I can find? I think

I'm in a bit of a pickle, I think, and I need some help on how best to proceed. First off, I'm terrible at this game. I'm playing on Easy and I've died more in this game than probably the last half a dozen or so games I've recently played combined. But, I just got through a space section, rescued a scientist who was trapped in a container (Igwe?), and now I just met up with some people held up behind some glass asking me to build some turrets. The problem is I'm low on resources and I kept dying right outside where a Phantom and an... Electric Phantom (I don't remember the name) are patrolling around a recycler and fabricator. I'm worried that I don't have enough material to make some turrets (how many exactly do I even need to make?). Is there no other way to proceed or do I probably need to backtrack and scrounge around for what I can find? I think

You need three total and there are a few already in the cargo bay if you look around. You'll probably just need to build one.

haveheart

Banned

IIRC you need three turrets. You should deal with those Phantoms first. Do you play with alien powers? At this point in the game, you should be able to handle them.
You should always scan the enemy types so that you know their weaknesses (you can check that in your log under research).

edit: ^right, you probably just need to re-deploy some turrets that are already there.

Ricker

I have a similar problem,that pissed me off a little...I just finished the game but I could not do one of the ending because I can't fabricate a certain item...now I saved just before some big choices so I might try getting it but it means killing a bunch of stuff,and frankly after 45 hours,I'm a little fed up with that lol...

Great game though,wasnt crazy about the last part of the game,because
I hated the gravity stuff
and I failed about 10 sidequests because either there where no marker or they where just bugged.

JJShadow

I'm about 10 hours in and I'm enjoying the hell out of this. I've come to a point where I seem to have more freedom to explore Talos I and take on some sidequests (after repairing the main lift), so I'll definitely try to do as many as possible before continuing with the main quest

I have a couple of questions: I'm now re-exploring the Talos I lobby to explore some areas I didn't have access before, and they seem to be populated with new Typhons. I'm that king of guy who needs to kill every single enemy I find, but I'm afrid I'm wasting too many resources and ammo for later on. Is there any reason to save on ammo/resources and avoid encounters when possible?

Also, regarding neuromods, right now I have the basic ones unlocked (hacking level 2, leverage 1, repair 1, kinetic blast, etc) but I'd like to know whether I should focus on getting a specific neuromods on focus on one specific ramification of the neuromod tree that would be essential or really important for the later sections of the game. Any advice?

Thanks!

IIRC you need three turrets. You should deal with those Phantoms first. Do you play with alien powers? At this point in the game, you should be able to handle them.
You should always scan the enemy types so that you know their weaknesses (you can check that in your log under research).

edit: ^right, you probably just need to re-deploy some turrets that are already there.

I haven't been playing with the alien stuff because the game made it sound like I'd either get a bad ending from using them or I'd make it more difficult because humans and turrets would turn on me.

You need three total and there are a few already in the cargo bay if you look around. You'll probably just need to build one.
I'll have to look around the cargo bay then. Thanks!

Edit: Found two turrets and was able to craft the last one. Thank you all for the help!

Sentenza

Turrets aren't really that much of the problem.

The genuine nightmare of playing a "alien powers only" run is dealing with inventory management.
You'll lack both the extra inventory space AND the skill to dismantle items. Meaning you won't even be able to collect half of the weapons plus a couple of items before your inventory is already full.

Honestly, I gave up on trying that. They should have made inventory expansions suit upgrades rather than skills.

Ricker

I'm about 10 hours in and I'm enjoying the hell out of this. I've come to a point where I seem to have more freedom to explore Talos I and take on some sidequests (after repairing the main lift), so I'll definitely try to do as many as possible before continuing with the main quest

I have a couple of questions: I'm now re-exploring the Talos I lobby to explore some areas I didn't have access before, and they seem to be populated with new Typhons. I'm that king of guy who needs to kill every single enemy I find, but I'm afrid I'm wasting too many resources and ammo for later on. Is there any reason to save on ammo/resources and avoid encounters when possible?

Also, regarding neuromods, right now I have the basic ones unlocked (hacking level 2, leverage 1, repair 1, kinetic blast, etc) but I'd like to know whether I should focus on getting a specific neuromods on focus on one specific ramification of the neuromod tree that would be essential or really important for the later sections of the game. Any advice?

Thanks!

At some point,maybe 3/4 in,you will need to try and avoid some fights because they always respawn yeah...obviousy,upgrade and use your wrench for mimics and the normal Phantoms.Ididnt fight everything but didnt skip a lot of fights either and never really had a problem with ammo...try and get the 20% more yield for recycling,the stun gun is also very useful late in the game or one of the Typhon skills that make the robot/operators fight for you...that kinda saved my butt a few times.

RedSwirl

So did they ever add HUD options to this game? It seems baffling to me that Arkane would forget them in a game like Prey, especially when similar games like Deus Ex, BioShock, and their own Dishonored 2 let you turn off waypoints.

Paragon

So did they ever add HUD options to this game? It seems baffling to me that Arkane would forget them in a game like Prey, especially when similar games like Deus Ex, BioShock, and their own Dishonored 2 let you turn off waypoints.
You can toggle waypoints in the 'quest log', but I don't think there are general HUD settings for Prey. I agree that it's a disappointing oversight, especially when Dishonored 2 had such extensive HUD options.

JJShadow

At some point,maybe 3/4 in,you will need to try and avoid some fights because they always respawn yeah...obviousy,upgrade and use your wrench for mimics and the normal Phantoms.Ididnt fight everything but didnt skip a lot of fights either and never really had a problem with ammo...try and get the 20% more yield for recycling,the stun gun is also very useful late in the game or one of the Typhon skills that make the robot/operators fight for you...that kinda saved my butt a few times.

Thanks for the input. I got the stun pistol quite recently and I love it, but ammo is scarce so far. Also, maybe it's me sucking at combat, but I have never tried to kill a phantom using only the wrench, every time I get close to them they crushed me hard lol Best way to kill them so far has been gloo+a couple of shotgun rounds

haveheart

Banned
Thanks for the input. I got the stun pistol quite recently and I love it, but ammo is scarce so far. Also, maybe it's me sucking at combat, but I have never tried to kill a phantom using only the wrench, every time I get close to them they crushed me hard lol Best way to kill them so far has been gloo+a couple of shotgun rounds

Which is a perfectly viable approach. If you go heavy on alien powers the game gets easier. Pychoshock
will damage them and restrict them from using their own alien powers like ranges attacks. This is particularly effective when you're dealing with alien enemies other than phantoms. But you can also do that without alien powers by using certain
grenade types.

You really should max your inventory slots and collect/refine everything to avoid running out of resources/ammo. We heard from a lot of people that ran into such problems because they were progressing through the game to fast. Take your time and explore everything.

SomTervo

Stun pistol is great but definitely save your ammo. There are usually 3-4 ways to handle any situation in the game no matter what stage you're at.

If you're struggling with an enemy/fight, try using a weapon or tactic you have literally never used before. Like, one you have no interest in using. It'll probably be a game changer.

To truly 'master' the game (although you can definitely play it however you like) it helps to find the key weapons/strategies against every unique enemy type. It reaches a point where you see one enemy, select a certain weapon/tool, see another enemy type, swap to another, etc etc.

Sande

I love using the stun gun whenever I can. It's a bit of a shame that the ammo is not all that common and manufacturing it doesn't really feel worth it compared to shotgun shells for example.

Overall it's a bit of a problem with Prey that it has all these cool unique weapons but the shotgun kills everything in a couple of shots and the ammo is plentiful and cheap to manufacture.

Now I feel like doing a no shotgun, no pistol run...

I had really high hopes going into this game because of people I respect praising the hell out of it (if at least saying it goes on for too long).

And, arg, the ending is great! I like how all my choices kind of get reviewed, including some things I totally missed. That's neat.

But, I really disliked playing this game. As I said earlier, maybe ?I just played it wrong, but I sucked at it. I kept getting stuck in vents, or I just couldn't move in the open for whatever reason, and I never got a hang on HOW to play the game.

Spoiler for some stuff, but all minor.

I thought my use of neromods would play more into the story. They didn't. So, I made the game worse for myself. And, some stuff I thought I could do, like use the glo gun to reach the shuttle, was impossible; I could never open the door to it and would fall through geometry because it then became obvious that wasn't the way to do things. Little things like that kept pilling up, where I thought I would have more freedom, but I didn't.

I've heard people compare this to Bioshock, and it's really Dishonored. Which, I had issues with Dishonored as well. But, as the game went on, I just started investing into speed mods so I could run through encounters and get to objectives sooner.

I have a lot more negative stuff I could write, such as why a game about exploration and lore on terminals has all these hidden creatures and stalking monsters which actively makes me not want to explore. But, I just wanted to give general thoughts.

I don't know what I was expecting other than a really good game. I didn't see any videos or anything before hand but just positive word of mouth. I feel like i'm really missing something considering the heaps of praise it gets from so many people.

I really thinks this is just one of those cases where it's me and not the game that is the problem. I take fault on this one.

Lastly, I think a song from the game Get Even plays during the credits to this game, which is amusing to me since that's the last game I played.

haveheart

Banned
I had really high hopes going into this game because of people I respect praising the hell out of it (if at least saying it goes on for too long).

And, arg, the ending is great! I like how all my choices kind of get reviewed, including some things I totally missed. That's neat.

But, I really disliked playing this game. As I said earlier, maybe ?I just played it wrong, but I sucked at it. I kept getting stuck in vents, or I just couldn't move in the open for whatever reason, and I never got a hang on HOW to play the game.

Spoiler for some stuff, but all minor.

I thought my use of neromods would play more into the story. They didn't. So, I made the game worse for myself. And, some stuff I thought I could do, like use the glo gun to reach the shuttle, was impossible; I could never open the door to it and would fall through geometry because it then became obvious that wasn't the way to do things. Little things like that kept pilling up, where I thought I would have more freedom, but I didn't.

I've heard people compare this to Bioshock, and it's really Dishonored. Which, I had issues with Dishonored as well. But, as the game went on, I just started investing into speed mods so I could run through encounters and get to objectives sooner.

I have a lot more negative stuff I could write, such as why a game about exploration and lore on terminals has all these hidden creatures and stalking monsters which actively makes me not want to explore. But, I just wanted to give general thoughts.

I don't know what I was expecting other than a really good game. I didn't see any videos or anything before hand but just positive word of mouth. I feel like i'm really missing something considering the heaps of praise it gets from so many people.

I really thinks this is just one of those cases where it's me and not the game that is the problem. I take fault on this one.

Lastly, I think a song from the game Get Even plays during the credits to this game, which is amusing to me since that's the last game I played.

Sorry you didn't like it that much.

For me mimics made the exploration part more exciting, I kind of enjoyed the constant danger and fear of being attacked out of nowhere.

The whole soundtrack is a OST composed for this game (which is soooo good and on Spotify), so this might be a similar song in Get Even.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Started the game last night and got to the lobby after 2 hours. Loving it so far. Level design and attention to detail is stellar as is to be expected from Arkane.

Gotta say, I dont really like what little I've tried of the combat, especially having to wack fast moving enemies on a PS4 controller.

I love using the stun gun whenever I can. It's a bit of a shame that the ammo is not all that common and manufacturing it doesn't really feel worth it compared to shotgun shells for example.

Overall it's a bit of a problem with Prey that it has all these cool unique weapons but the shotgun kills everything in a couple of shots and the ammo is plentiful and cheap to manufacture.

Now I feel like doing a no shotgun, no pistol run...

Weird, I didn't really run into ammo issues with the stun gun until very late in the game, and by that point it was trivial for me to make more. One of the upgrade paths for the stun gun reduces ammo consumption, and I maxed that out early. Highly recommended.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Started the game last night and got to the lobby after 2 hours. Loving it so far. Level design and attention to detail is stellar as is to be expected from Arkane.

Gotta say, I dont really like what little I've tried of the combat, especially having to wack fast moving enemies on a PS4 controller.

Combat in this game IMO is ambushing with plans to make it quick rather than a sustained fight. If you dont think you can mop up what you see, avoid. It is called Prey after all. Upgrading your health and damage output is necessary. The late game humam movement upgrades also open up a lot of stuff.

Veal

Are the people complaining about the combat playing on console or pc? I had no complaints with a steam controller but I could see how the fast moving enemies might not be fun trying to aim with an analog stick.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Combat in this game IMO is ambushing with plans to make it quick rather than a sustained fight. If you dont think you can mop up what you see, avoid. It is called Prey after all. Upgrading your health and damage output is necessary. The late game humam movement upgrades also open up a lot of stuff.

Im sure it feels much better after unlocking a few upgrades and I get used to the mimic movements.

Dishonored 2 was the same way, some combat and movement abilities went a long way towards enhancing the feel of combat.

I'm early on (3-4 hours) playing on PS4 too, and I gotta say I am feeling the same way about the combat. I know it's supposed to be difficult, but I feel like a little aim assist would have gone a long way. I find that I end up wasting a lot of gloo trying to catch the enemies that are flying around.

FiveSide

Banned
Finally got a chance to play this on PC. AMAZING so far! First Arkane game and I'll definitely be checking out both Dishonored games after this.

Cranked the difficulty down to easy, as usual for these kinds of games (I prefer focusing more on the exploration and soaking in the atmosphere). I've been obliterating everything in my path though, and have a ton of ammo, so I think I might turn it up to Normal.

Seriously though, this game is incredible. I really hope the tepid commercial performance of this, Dishonored 2, and Deus Ex MD don't put the entire genre on ice. This is gaming in its purest, most satisfying form.

Just got to the Arboretum. How far am I?

EDIT: Also hell yeah this is a GOTY contender. And it's not like there isn't some major, landmark-tier competition.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. That was a damn solid game!

I do kind of wish they went more in depth on the themes they tackled with the story. Definitely left a little bit too much up to the player's imagination for my tastes. The combat never really got all that fun, either, but it was satisfying to shotgun blast Phantoms in the face later in the game. The only parts of the game I really disliked were when you had to face those Cystoid things, especially in zero gravity areas. Those sections will definitely prevent me from doing a second playthrough, which is a shame because I never actually ended up using the Typhon Neuromods in my run through the game. Oh well!

Overall, though, I really enjoyed exploring the environments and uncovering the mystery of what was going on. There were some really cool bits of storytelling throughout.

Definitely enjoyed it more overall than Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I really hope Arkane gets more opportunities to make games like this in the future.

Nabs

Yeah, if you're playing the console versions. xinput support is still inexplicably gone in the PC version

I just tried xinput and it's just fine. I've been on the public-beta patch since the beginning, so maybe that helps (it hasn't been updated in a month).

Ushay

Just completed the game using human powers only.

Wow, really impressed with what Arkane heave achieved here. Can see myself playing this again for achievements. This is definitely their best game so far.

ilium

So, any news on survival mode? I finally want to do my alien-powered-super-acrobatic-wrench-wielding-maniac run...

Picked this up on sale recently.

Best opening credits sequence I've ever seen in a game, very well done. And that music...

The whole game feels like a loving tribute to classics like Half Life, Dead Space, Deus Ex and Bioshock.

Top Bottom