• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The new patch is out on PS4 and I must say that I appreciate that they included a Story mode as I felt easy could be too hard (well too hard to be called easy) and I now feel better about doing a No Needles run.

Apologies for the necropost, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on this. Prey had been on my 'to do' pile for a long time, but I kept avoiding it as I was never in the right frame of mind to tackle, what I had heard could be a tough, stressful game. I had some time off over Christmas and thought it was a good opportunity to take a look at it. Boy I am glad I did, as it totally sucked me in right from the start.

Prey did turn out to be quite tough, but if taken slow and played cautiously it was very manageable. Sneaking around, reading email stories and hovering up items and junk to upgrade Morgan became incredibly addictive, such that this gameplay loop and the storyline became more engaging than the okay-ish combat. Developments towards the end of the game made sense from a storyline point of view, but made for a slightly rushed and frustrating final quarter, which did slightly sour the experience.

Overall Prey ranks as one of my favourite games of this generation. It utterly absorbed me for the full 47 hours of my playthrough. I'd like to go back and experiment with different builds, but it's a shame I will never get to play it for the first time again.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apologies for the necropost, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on this. Prey had been on my 'to do' pile for a long time, but I kept avoiding it as I was never in the right frame of mind to tackle, what I had heard could be a tough, stressful game. I had some time off over Christmas and thought it was a good opportunity to take a look at it. Boy I am glad I did, as it totally sucked me in right from the start.

Prey did turn out to be quite tough, but if taken slow and played cautiously it was very manageable. Sneaking around, reading email stories and hovering up items and junk to upgrade Morgan became incredibly addictive, such that this gameplay loop and the storyline became more engaging than the okay-ish combat. Developments towards the end of the game made sense from a storyline point of view, but made for a slightly rushed and frustrating final quarter, which did slightly sour the experience.

Overall Prey ranks as one of my favourite games of this generation. It utterly absorbed me for the full 47 hours of my playthrough. I'd like to go back and experiment with different builds, but it's a shame I will never get to play it for the first time again.

Prey is heavily based off of System Shock 2 so do give that a go if you want a similar experience.

Yeah ain't it an awesome game! As Sub_Level said it's that System Shock, Dues Ex, Bioshock type of game that I think works really well. i.e. a good formula in how to present a story and allow a variety of upgrades and approaches to problems. How bout that ending! Did you try the expansion pack?

Mjordan23

Neo Member
Exactly how I feel too. Just an amazing experience, and they really nailed the atmosphere. Utterly engrossing. I hope Arkane will continue with this IP, it really deserves more games.

Thanks for the heads up on System Shock. I only have a PS4, so I guess it's going to be difficult for me to get access to it. I played Deus Ex Human Revolution and that was great, but I've been a bit cold about Mankind Divided. If it's got Prey-like vibes I'll check it out.

I really enjoyed the ending of Prey and I wasn't able to predict the outcome, so the post-credits scene was a surprise. Is Mooncrash worth a look? I'm tempted to pick it up next time it's discounted on the PS store...

bati

Thanks for the heads up on System Shock. I only have a PS4, so I guess it's going to be difficult for me to get access to it. I played Deus Ex Human Revolution and that was great, but I've been a bit cold about Mankind Divided. If it's got Prey-like vibes I'll check it out.

I really enjoyed the ending of Prey and I wasn't able to predict the outcome, so the post-credits scene was a surprise. Is Mooncrash worth a look? I'm tempted to pick it up next time it's discounted on the PS store...

DXMD is a pretty solid game but not as good as DXHR or Prey imo. Cold is actually a very good description of how the game feels.

I don't own the ps4 so I can't comment on exclusives, but from cross platform games your other options are BioShock 1 and 2 (skip Infinite), Dishonored 1 and 2, Thief (better than reviews would have you believe), Alien: Isolation and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The last two aren't traditional immersive sims - Alien is close and is generally one of the best games ever made and KCD is an open world game with many immersive sim elements.

DXMD is a pretty solid game but not as good as DXHR or Prey imo. Cold is actually a very good description of how the game feels.

I don't own the ps4 so I can't comment on exclusives, but from cross platform games your other options are BioShock 1 and 2 (skip Infinite), Dishonored 1 and 2, Thief (better than reviews would have you believe), Alien: Isolation and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The last two aren't traditional immersive sims - Alien is close and is generally one of the best games ever made and KCD is an open world game with many immersive sim elements.

Thanks for the tips. I played Alien Isolation and the Bioshock games and enjoyed them (yeah, Infinite was a bit 'meh'). I'll check out Kingdom Come. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it dude, Prey is also one of my favorite games this generation and honestly it sucks that it doesn't get the credit it deserves. I blame a lot of that on Bethesda stupidly calling it "Prey", it should have been a totally new IP as it feels like one. The gameplay loop is so addictive and I miss the sci fi feel of it. I just love it.

If you haven't tried the Dishonored series, do give it a go and play the first game DLC for the best main character ever.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I need to replay this game on a higher difficulty. Hard was enjoyable but the enemies only posed a challenge during "locked room scenarios" i.e. when you fight a particular boss or clear a particular scripted scene. The game is manageable if you just take it slowly.

Are the enemies in Nightmare more aggressive and/or tricky compared to Normal or Hard?

Relique

Sorry for bumping this old thread. It seemed like the most appropriate place to ask a question.

Has anyone played through Prey on PC gamepass? I heard on an old gaming podcast (don't remember where) that it may have some bugs/stability issues.
Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with this version before jumping in. I'd rather just buy it elsewhere than losing progress and having to restart elsewhere if that is the case.

GHG

Gold Member
Sorry for bumping this old thread. It seemed like the most appropriate place to ask a question.

Has anyone played through Prey on PC gamepass? I heard on an old gaming podcast (don't remember where) that it may have some bugs/stability issues.
Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with this version before jumping in. I'd rather just buy it elsewhere than losing progress and having to restart elsewhere if that is the case.

I can only speak for the Steam version and can tell you it's stellar and 100% worth a purchase.

It's on sale at gamesplanet at the moment who are 100% legit:

nemiroff

Gold Member

Well, I for one completed the GP version without noticing anything out of the ordinary.

Top Bottom