• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey "2017" is officially free on epic store until may 19

Kuranghi

I plan to resume this soon, fell off after 25 hours of pissing around doing everything in every room, which makes it a 50+ hour game lol. No idea if I was near the end or not tbh, maybe I was 25% in, maybe 75%, no idea.

GHG

Epic store 🤢🤢🤢

It's been at rock bottom prices on Steam and/or keystores for years now. So I'm strongly questioning anyone who needed to wait until it was free on EGS before playing it.

Disgrace GIF by GIPHY News

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's one of the best games of last gen and people need to wait until its free before giving it a try despite it being widely available for under a fiver since 2019?

KindlySophisticatedBobolink-size_restricted.gif

I've got it on both PS4 and Xbox via game pass now, I'm just standing up for the little folks :p

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG
One of the best games of that generation from one of the most underappreciated studios of the generation. Tons of replay value and user agency on a scale that most games will never even come close to.

I've heard lots of surprisingly positive feedback about this game, but what is it, in a nutshell that makes this so damn good apparently, especially compared to the 100 other homogenised sandbox FPS games this generation?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've heard lots of surprisingly positive feedback about this game, but what is it, in a nutshell that makes this so damn good apparently, especially compared to the 100 other homogenised sandbox FPS games this generation?

It's the closest thing to a Bioshock 1 quality game of it's nature in the PS4/XBO generation.

Good story, sense of mystery, solid game play and an great set/location the game is set in.

You're like an ant exploring an intricate diorama. I'm not a fan of Metroidvanias but this one was super fun to explore because it rewards lateral thinking. It's so much better than finding keycodes or a batclaw upgrade!
Also the recycling mechanic is one of the most satisfying things in gaming.

Hoddi

How often do you play games that manage to be genuinely interesting? Or how about movies?

Most of the time, I'm fairly entertained while I'm playing or watching these games/movies but then they completely exit my memory within a few weeks or even days. Prey is like those movies where I still remember everything about them even many years later. It's just everything from the setting to the storyline to the plot twists that are well made and all those things together make it a very memorable game.

I see many people in this thread calling it one of the best games of the last gen. But I think even that is an understatement.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This is great. I played through a lot of it on Gamepass...now I don't have to worry about losing it if it leaves Gamepass.

SkylineRKR

Backtracking isn't much of an issue on PC or Series consoles, the game has very short load times. Also, upgrade mobility. You can run and glide around the map easily.

Prey is easily one of the GOTG's. I beat it again on Series S last year. Some perks do break the game and enemy design is kind of ho hum, but otherwise its level design and atmosphere is perfect.

Efe

I'd love to play a sequel of the original Prey (with the native guy), trailer of the cancelled game was fire.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
What a game. I hope that Arkane come back to the franchise.

I think I will download the dlc this weekend.

DukeNukem00

Banned
One of the best games of that generation from one of the most underappreciated studios of the generation. Tons of replay value and user agency on a scale that most games will never even come close to.

Doesn't seem that Arkane is underapreciated when they're mostly showered with praise whenever they come up in discussions. :)

flying_sq

This game is a weird one for me. I bought it years ago, got through the intro and after that I kind of lost all desire to play it. Not sure why, I really dig the premise and atmosphere, but at the same time I find it very boring. Is it just me?

Sentenza

I already got Prey on EGS in the past, which I already owned on Steam.
As I was on it I took the chance to redeem Jotun and RedOut, which I also had on Steam.

Apparently so far I redeemed 181 games on the EGS since it launched in late 2019.
Of these, I kid you not when I say that at least 165-170 were stuff I already owned for a while, but hey, free is free.

Still, never paid Epic a single cent on their store and I doubt I'll ever will unless something exceptional happens.
Thank you for freebies, Timmy.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Played it on PS4 for a while and thought it was kinda boring/easy. Might give another chance on PC.

Thanks for letting us know OP, although I already own this one on Steam.

Wish they'd re-release the original Prey.

anyone else have a problem with all epic games sound cutting out , i just downloaded redout and the sound keeps cutting out for maybe 1 second .

Top Bottom