• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey 2 (System Shock 3?) Concept Docs Leaked on Torrent Site [Up: Full Slides]

Mully

This all sounds like a preproduction document (if it's legitimate) than anything else.

Kotaku has been reporting about Prey 2 for a while. I'm sure they're beyond the conceptual stage at this point.

Cartman86

Banned
• Avoid movie clichés - Alien’s slimy metal genitalia look and Blade Runner ‘s neon city at night.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! There aren't enough of these in video games. At least not in more open shooters like Deus Ex and what Prey 2 looked like originally.

Leb

The thought of a System Shock title reimagined as a modern AAA action RPG makes me positively gassy with unease.

Seriously, think Tomb Raider 2013 or any of the other cinematic third person action adventure abominations. That's the nightmarish future that Shodan envisioned: a future in which a good hacker always gets salt in his eyes.

Guri

If this is real, then I truly feel sorry for the people at Arkane. Everything seems to leak from this project. Imagine having ideas and not being sure they'll be kept secret to develop them more. They'd have to keep changing the game or eventually release it with people knowing what it is about.

Wait, do any of those plots have anything to do with Prey aside from just having aliens? And if not, is Prey really that highly regarded of an IP that it's worth shoehorning a game into being its sequel? I remember people being slightly underwhelmed by the original Prey and forgetting about it pretty fast...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone really mind the Neon City Blade Runner cliche?

But it sounds well. Remember, Arkane, if any of those press sneak fucks asks, this shit is fake, you are doing something that is totally not Prey 2.

Wait, do any of those plots have anything to do with Prey aside from just having aliens? And if not, is Prey really that highly regarded of an IP that it's worth shoehorning a game into being its sequel? I remember people being slightly underwhelmed by the original Prey and forgetting about it pretty fast...

Yeah, the first Prey was alright, but it wasn't one of the most memorable FPS's out there. The real hype around Prey came from its long and twisted development cycle with 3D Realms. Early tech demo's from E3 1998 showed off really impressive things for the time that had people excited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L29DSSQT3Ek . Like a custom built engine, which used a BSP system for portals as well as dynamic portals that the player could drop anywhere (9 years before Portal), detailed graphics that could run on fairly modest PC specs, and some destructible environments. But this version of Prey was canceled due to team walk outs.

The revived Prey from 2005 was missing some features seen in these early demos, and I think the final game became a lot more linear.in design from what they originally had.

To be honest, they could probably call this game anything they want and it wouldn't really phase me much. It looks cool, it doesn't seem to have much in common with the first one outside of aliens.

Eusis

It's one thing to put that in a design document, it's another to make it work in-game. I won't believe "SS2 successor" hype until I see it with my own eyes.
Frankly just aiming for that is enough to get me interested. Even if it ends up a pale imitation it will still be more interesting than most FPS games.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
If this is real, then I truly feel sorry for the people at Arkane. Everything seems to leak from this project. Imagine having ideas and not being sure they'll be kept secret to develop them more. They'd have to keep changing the game or eventually release it with people knowing what it is about.

Or, they will finally act like adults and stop throwing fits every time a general plot and or involved actor is leaked. You know, like how the entire movie industry works, yet somehow manages to release successful products.

Yeah, the first Prey was alright, but it wasn't one of the most memorable FPS's out there. The real hype around Prey came from its long and twisted development cycle with 3D Realms. Early tech demo's from E3 1998 showed off really impressive things for the time that had people excited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L29DSSQT3Ek .

Wow, that was pretty cool. It's great that all the innovations of the original demo ended up appearing in real games years later, but it's a shame Prey itself had none of them.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This truly looked amazing. Man, why does this crap happen :(

We don't know for sure. there are many theories and talk about what happened between Zenimax and Human Head but honestly I found most of it most of them really hard to believe (especially since it seems that most guys left HH before that project dies) Human Head could revive it as a KS project if it was more than a demo like they said with new name and stuff but yeah there is more to this story than the few stuff that we know.

This industry need its own TMZ I guess.

We don't know for sure. there are many theories and talk about what happened between Zenimax and Human Head but honestly I found most of it most of them really hard to believe (especially since it seems that most guys left HH before that project dies) Human Head could revive it as a KS project if it was more than a demo like they said with new name and stuff but yeah there is more to this story than the few stuff that we know.

This industry need its own TMZ I guess.

If they in any way attempt to revive their project that was developed under Zenimax they will get sued to the moon and back.

Teeth

• Variety in the level layouts is important • Avoid hallway-room-hallway play. • Verticality • Multiple paths through the environment • Areas should serve a function

While this whole document screams of fandom wish list, it does so for good reason. This would be incredible if actually executed properly.

Dead Space wasnt as streamlined as Bioshock. Dead Space devs felt I had enough of a brain to comprehend an inventory system.

What? They were both streamlined, but in different ways. Level design and encounter design were way more complex in Bioshock. The only complexity that Dead Space's inventory added was having to manage upgrade macguffins and schematics. Bioshock had less linear level design, hacking, multiple plasmids, multiple ammo types, traps, player initiated combat, and the whole synergy of environmental hazards/uses and the Big Daddy ecosystem ("emergent design").

I say this as a big fan of both games.

SS2 is also owned by EA and neither Raphael nor Harvey worked on SS2, so it wouldn't make any sense for them to be trying to make a spiritual successor to something both the company or the individuals had nothing to do with.
I do belive Smith worked on the original System Shock. And the spiritual successor to SS2 talk originaly came up when it was first leaked that Arkane was taking over Prey 2.

Zenimax would own all the code and assets.

Lakitu

st5fu
Please... I'd absolutely love a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, that sounds amazing, almost too good to be true.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SS2 is also owned by EA and neither Raphael nor Harvey worked on SS2, so it wouldn't make any sense for them to be trying to make a spiritual successor to something both the company or the individuals had nothing to do with.

EA did own the System Shock trademark:

Yeah, EA owned the trademark but ultimately lost it due to non-use, after which Meadowbrook picked it up, which allowed Night Dive to negotiate a re-release.

Following LG's closure, Shock 2 itself has always been owned by Star Insurance (a subsidiary of Meadowbrook).

Except that it is one of the greatest games of all time. That's the point of it being a spiritual successor, they can't make a proper successor but they want to make a game just like the old one.

It's one sentence you can use to describe the game and a bunch of people will instantly know what you're going for.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
If they in any way attempt to revive their project that was developed under Zenimax they will get sued to the moon and back.

Something like what FromSoftware did with Dark Souls (which was Demons Souls 2 in everything and Sony didn't sue them) could've worked I guess. like change the game name to like "Space Aline Hunter" and change story and remove Zenimax own like music and other stuff and start with the base and Kickstart it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
System Shock 2 was fairly pc-centric when it came to control scheme. It would be really awkward to play on a pad, much less the original game.

A true successor would be pc exclusive. You need shortcut keys for every little action, you need an inventory box instead of a weapon wheel, and you need a bunch of shit all over your hud.

Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den are pretty good System Shock 2 followups. And even though it was super streamlined, Dead Space as well.
I think it could be done.

Shock 2 remains one of my favorite PC games of all time but I guarantee it could work on a gamepad with little problem.

Deus Ex Human Revolution didn't go all the way but it had a full grid-based inventory that worked beautifully. If that route were explored further I think it could work for a Shock game.

Mr. Tibbs

I do belive Smith worked on the original System Shock. And the spiritual successor to SS2 talk originaly came up when it was first leaked that Arkane was taking over Prey 2.

Not quite true. From the comments of a former Human Head developers YT channel.

Bethesda owns all the rights to the title and for the content developed during their partnership with the original developer. They don't have the source material though, so Bethesda can't continue to finish it and the developer can't release it in some other form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkHZfjK5z4

Ramenman

I'm both glad to have this kind of insight on the genesis of a project, and at the same time it really sucks that this kind of thing is made available. I don't really care for trailer/images/info leaks, but internal docs, man, with the exact word by word of the dude that wrote them, that's just sick.

It's one thing to put that in a design document, it's another to make it work in-game. I won't believe "SS2 successor" hype until I see it with my own eyes.

It's not "hype", it's a high level intention that was written on an internal document that nobody was supposed to see.

We'll see how they market it, that is if it does come out in the next 5 years.

Also, all the bulletpoints you quoted are pretty much standard stuff for Arkane. Most of them (if not all) are in Dishonored.

snoopers

I am multitalented
Reads like complete bullshit to me.

On board the ship – it’s a different style altogether – the technology is a combination of alien metal and transparent materials - it has a fluid / organic design style to it in contrast to the harsh angles of the complex surrounding it.

... so what happened to

Avoid movie clichés - Alien’s slimy metal genitalia look

Steez

A spiritual successor to SS2 can work as we saw with Bioshock and Dead Space. They were much more streamlined, but nonetheless great games. And besides, we're in dire need of space horror/RPG hybrids. I'm for it.

But Project Danielle, Danielle Sho? Come on, lol.

V_Ben

Banned
A spiritual successor to SS2 can work as we saw with Bioshock and Dead Space. They were much more streamlined, but nonetheless great games. And besides, we're in dire need of space horror/RPG hybrids. I'm for it.

But Project Danielle, Danielle Sho? Come on, lol.

Yeah, that made me laugh. It's a little too obvious.

Something like what FromSoftware did with Dark Souls (which was Demons Souls 2 in everything and Sony didn't sue them) could've worked I guess. like change the game name to like "Space Aline Hunter" and change story and remove Zenimax own like music and other stuff and start with the base and Kickstart it.
From had a major publisher funding them, were working on a far less ambitious game - one that was primarily acclaimed for its combat system, and were free to reuse the same engine as Demon's Souls. Not to mention Sony clearly felt it was their own fault for dropping the ball on Demon's Souls, and were interested in maintaining a good relationship with From.

Human Head would be on their own, starting from scratch (Prey 2 ran on IDTech), need far, far more money than any game ever got from Kickstarter, and have Zenimax breathing down their necks looking for any opportunity to sue (which they've repeatedly proven they will).

So, unless you'd be happy with the game re-imagined as a stylized 2D platformer, I don't see Kickstarter as an option.

Not quite true. From the comments of a former Human Head developers YT channel.
Actually, that's the exact situation I was describing. Zenimax/Bethesda owns the game code and assets, so even though they have them in their possession, Human Head still can't do anything with them.

Gusy

Yeah.. no. This one its a little too weird for me to believe.

However, how cool woud be a System Shock 2 port for the 3DS? When switching to the interactive view the game briefly moves down to the touch screen to manipulate stuff. In the action view it moves back up so you can navigate the Von Braun in 3D. Touch up the 3d models a little bit.. good to go! Would love to have that game with me everywhere I go.

In what world is alien(re Giger's) style cliche? Or over used? In any medium. Cuz I want to live in that one lol

Maybe not so much cliche as it is saturated. But what can I say; the guy was absolutely amazing and the biggest influence in scifi designs for some decades now.

With them saying that....are they gonna challenge the King?

Reads like complete bullshit to me.

... so what happened to
The way I see it, that probably just don't want any enemy designs that look like a Xenomorph twin...and for certain reasons (copyright especially), I can see what they're thinking.

Basically they want to invoke the feel of Giger/Alien designs but not coming off as creatively bankrupt copycats of his work.

Top Bottom