• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preparing myself for a re-watch of No Way Home…

RPS37

I’m preparing myself for a rewatch of SpiderMan No Way Home by watching the Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield movies.
I’m just about finished watching SpiderMan 3 and it’s surprisingly not as terrible as I remember. I’m wondering though, after I finish AmazIng SpiderMan 2, do I need to rewatch the 2 MCU movies first, or just skip to No Way Home?

Instead of crapping on your thread, I'll say that these Spiderman movies are worth watching before NWH:

Spiderman 1
Spiderman 2
Amazing Spiderman 1
Spiderman Homecoming

The only relevant part from AMS 2 is Electro and his arc isn't nowhere near good enough to stomach through that whole movie for who he ends up being in NWH. Also, No Way Home erases any and all of Peter's personal growth in Far From Home, so there's no need to watch that anymore either, because the only relevant event that carries over is the after credits scene and MJ being in a relationship with Peter near the end. I'm still a bit salty about how every lesson Peter was supposed to learn from FFH was undone with one movie. I finally understood how Last Jedi fans felt.

RPS37

I don't feel the love for this movie; it's mediocre at best. Into the Spider-verse deserves your time instead.
I feel like, if you’re the right age, you can’t not be nostalgic for the older Spiderman films.
I’ll probably rewatch Into The Spider-verse after NWH.
Instead of crapping on your thread, I'll say that these Spiderman movies are worth watching before NWH:

Spiderman 1
Spiderman 2
Amazing Spiderman 1
Spiderman Homecoming

The only relevant part from AMS 2 is Electro and his arc isn't nowhere near good enough to stomach through that whole movie for who he ends up being in NWH. Also, No Way Home erases any and all of Peter's personal growth in Far From Home, so there's no need to watch that anymore either, because the only relevant event that carries over is the after credits scene and MJ being in a relationship with Peter near the end. I'm still a bit salty about how every lesson Peter was supposed to learn from FFH was undone with one movie. I finally understood how Last Jedi fans felt.
I already watched 1 and 2, and three was worth it just to see the scenes that had legendary gifs made from them again.

I need to see Amazing SpiderMan 2 just to remember what happens with Jamie.
Definitely skipping FFH though then.

I already watched 1 and 2, and three was worth it just to see the scenes that had legendary gifs made from them again.

I need to see Amazing SpiderMan 2 just to remember what happens with Jamie.
Definitely skipping FFH though then.
I can guarantee you there's nothing for you investing time into ASM 2. The scenes with Jamie/Electro are unsubstantial because he was sidelined as villain #2 and had very little screen time compared to the actual villain who should have also shown up in NWH, even if it would have confused audiences. ASM 2 is a movie with very few great individual moments and great deleted scenes, but overall it is a chopped up mess from the same studio interference that has plagued Venom, Venom 2, and Morbius.

kunonabi

Yeah at best ASM2 is a decent Spider-Man short film if you start watching from after the godawful plane sequence and stop right after the Times Square battle. Everything after that aside from the clock tower is a complete mess.

As for the MCU movies you honestly don't need to watch them as very little of it actually matters for NWH. In theory it should build up Peter and his supporting cast but so much of that is really surface level stuff and his friends aren't really compelling in the least.

NWH is really Osborn and Amazing Spidey's film anyway. Hell, Osborn does more for developing MCU Peter than all his other MCU appearances combined.

Esca

Best thing I remember from NWH is Doc Oc was back.
I need to watch the movie again. I don't remember most of it but I also remember thinking it wasn't that great, certainly at least not to how people were gushing over it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I thought Amazing Spiderman 1 was bad, but I have a soft spot for Amazing Spiderman 2. It looks fucking gorgeous. Hans Zimmer soundtrack and especially the electro theme is absolutely incredible. It also has some of the best spidey swinging scenes. Compare it to No Way Home, and it looks like a real movie with a real cinematographer and some exceptional CG in the finale.

Same goes for Spiderman 3. It's actually a real bad bloated movie, but it has several action scenes that still hold up. I cant think of a single memorable action scene in the 3 Marvel Spiderman movies. Marvel just knows how to make crowd pleasers and No Way Home is exactly that.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I hadn't seen ASM2 before NWH, so I tried to watch it some time after. I haven't yet finished it, but I'm sure I'll return to it eventually. It did remind me that I always liked Garfield's Spider-Man.

I rewatched Spider-Verse last night, and it's good fun. Well made, and I look forward to a sequel if it ever arrives. It also made me want to rewatch NWH, as I only saw it in the cinema.

Has anyone ever looked into fan edits of movies? I can only remember the name of one: "Spider-Man: Birth of a Hero". It's all 3 Maguire movies cut together, who obviously it's long, but it cuts out some of the worst bits and tries to set up things like Sandman a bit earlier (mashed up 2 and 3 a bit more so than 1).

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'd at least watch Far From Home to be reminded of his supporting cast and how we got to No Way Home.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I loved all spiderman movies yet for some reason I am unable to rewatch them. No idea why. I've rewatched worse movies. Good movies but I think they lack...atmosphere or I dunno.

SJRB

Gold Member
Full watchlist to understand the lore of this movie:

- Spider-Man
- Spider-Man 2
- Spider-Man 3
- The Amazing Spider-Man
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2
- Spider-Man Homecoming
- Iron Man
- Spider-Man Far From Home
- Dr. Strange
- Avengers Age of Ultron
- Avengers Endgame

iu

SJRB

Gold Member
It's one of the worst films I've seen, so I recommend a stiff drink to prepare.
It's quite terrible yeah, but I thought Far From Home was infinitely worse.

It's like making a Batman movie and have it take place in fucking Greece or something and Bruce Wayne has love/relationship drama for 50% of the movie. It's just sooooo boring.

Jake Gyllenhaal carried that movie.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
"Preparing" to watch a movie. And not an epic classic, no a Spiderman movie.

You do you man.

Last edited:

GymWolf

After the previous 2 shitshow movies i have to prepare my balls forc2 hours of suffering before even thinking of watching another spidey movie from marvel.

Last edited:

RPS37

Just finished ASM1 yesterday.
Not quite sure where to go from here still.
Might just do like SJRB says and go full on.

Doom85

This moment was memorable for many:

Also for me, Green Goblin fighting Peter in the apartment complex and then at the end. Not saying Norman/GG didn’t have memorable scenes in the original Maguire film, but THIS is the GG I’ve been waiting for. A horrifying mix of Lex Luthor and Joker that pushes Peter to his limits. This movie finally did full justice to the character who in the comics will always be THE Spider-man villain.

“Poor Peter. Too weak to send me home to die.”
”No. I just want to kill you myself.”
(grins wickedly) ”attaboy.”

sol_bad

Just finished ASM1 yesterday.
Not quite sure where to go from here still.
Might just do like SJRB says and go full on.

I'd swap Age of Ultron for Infinity War. And Far From Home would come after Endgame.

I don't think Age of Ultron adds anything spidey or Doctor Strange as they don't star in that movie. But if you want to watch it to add to Tony's characterisation go for it.

*EDIT*
Proper order based on suggested movies.
- Spider-Man
- Spider-Man 2
- Spider-Man 3
- The Amazing Spider-Man
- Iron Man
- Avengers Age of Ultron
- Dr. Strange
- Spider-Man Homecoming
- Avengers Infinity War
- Avengers Endgame

Last edited:

RPS37

I'd swap Age of Ultron for Infinity War. And Far From Home would come after Endgame.

I don't think Age of Ultron adds anything spidey or Doctor Strange as they don't star in that movie. But if you want to watch it to add to Tony's characterisation go for it.

*EDIT*
Proper order based on suggested movies.
- Spider-Man
- Spider-Man 2
- Spider-Man 3
- The Amazing Spider-Man
- Iron Man
- Avengers Age of Ultron
- Dr. Strange
- Spider-Man Homecoming
- Avengers Infinity War
- Avengers Endgame
I think this is what I’ll do.
do we agree civil war doesn’t add anything even though it’s the first appearance of Spidey in the MCU?

sol_bad

do we agree civil war doesn’t add anything even though it’s the first appearance of Spidey in the MCU?

Literally all it adds is the talk between Tony and Peter in his apartment. Civil War is basically recapped in Homecoming when it comes the Spidey's involvement.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Pretty much. Like it hints at Uncle Ben but he's pretty much a non-factor to MCU Peter since Aunt May's death is what actually matters. Other than that it shows how him and Tony met but that doesn't really matter that much either since his relationship with Tony is finally pushed to the side. Thank heavens for that.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It’s been really cool getting reminded of the context of the story arcs of the villains in the early movies.
You also remembered that Spider-Man 1,2 & 3 are far, FAAAAAAR better than anything the MCU has done with Spidey, so good luck watching No Way Home again now.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Don't get too hyped for it. It's a fun experience but not a great film in terms of writing, editing, action, effects. It's just really charming because of the nostalgia as well as the acting.

JCK75

I didn't hate it, but I had the same sick feeling Batman gives me..
like this noble pursuit to not let bad guys die, is it even remotely worth it when lots of innocent people do as a result?
I don't personally think so.. just let the fuckers go.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I thought Far From Home was terrible. Clearly a kids movie but all those sexual innuendo's are just eh.
No Way Home is pretty good and also some quality fan service. Hardly Marvel's best, but its the best Tom Holland Spiderman movie.

mxbison

I thought it was awful. Legit one of the worst Marvel movies I've seen.

Plot holes all over and 2 hours of fan service with almost every line being a bad joke.

Tieno

Gettting so oversaturated on spider-man content would probably have a negative effect on a re-watch for SpiderMan No Way Home, for me.

RPS37

ASM2 was worth it for the soundtrack band and the clock tower scene.
Gettting so oversaturated on spider-man content would probably have a negative effect on a re-watch for SpiderMan No Way Home, for me.
It’s chill I’m watching stuff like Iron Man and Doctor Strange inbetween.

Top Bottom