• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predictions: Will Halo Infinite impress or disappoint at E3?

-

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seth Meyers Thank You GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I'm glad you see what they're going for.

As to why it looked like that mere months before it's planned launch, horrible mismanagement, only thing that makes sense. Or maybe COVID just impacted their schedule that significantly.

As to the gameplay side, I don't think that's fully shown yet. Remember this game has upgrades, so it seems there's a new pseudo RPG feel to go with its psedu open world approach. We shall see.

I still maintain to this day that if I can't dive out of a pelican battle royale style during campaign I'll see that as a huge missed opportunity.
I'm convinced the game just wasn't ready last year. The poor reaction to the campaign demo allowed 343 to delay the game with minimal anger from fans because most fans were demanding the game be delayed. You don't skip showing more than half of the game, all of the multiplayer side, forge, and anything else at E3 mere months before releasing in November if you're planning on actually releasing on schedule.

BabyYoda

Banned
I chose "It will disappoint again", but that's not to say I think the game will be bad, in fact it's my most anticipated game, but it's looking very likely that they will be focusing on mp this E3 and that's not really my bag. If Joe Staten presents the mp though, then that will be worth watching, I hope for some more memorable quotes like "Take it!" and "I could do this all day!!".

No doubt it will disappoint fans of 30fps cinematic walking sims that feature a lot of scripted combat, and/or QTEs as gameplay, but I believe it will impress most Halo fans and gamers that prefer 60-120 fps games that offer legitimately good gameplay and a game that's a lot of fun to actually play, not just look at.
What did I say?

Banned
Yeah people tend to forget even though 4 and 5 are made fun of that they still got decent metacritic scores. The new ratchet is only 2 points above Halo 4 and that's the second coming according to many posters here.

which shows again that reviewers are braindead who don't really look into games deeper than finishing the story on easy... and the less they died the better the score... because when they die that obviously is the game's fault not theirs.

I remember a Demon's Souls review that called it one of the worst PS3 games ever... because it was hard... and games can only get away with that now because Demon's Souls and to a higher degree Dark Souls became such a fan favorite

Killer8

Even if graphics do get improved, it's still 343 designing the gameplay.

That's the really worrying part that seems to be flying under people's radars.

highrider

Banned
I really don’t know. 343 has shown me they can do a fun multiplayer and one decent campaign level ( Blue Team H5 ) so they can do it but nothing has shown me they can put it all together like Bungie.

demonstr8

Microsoft will have multiple headliners at E3 but Halo Infinite is the game everyone's been waiting for that still believe in 343.

There are no more delays, it will come out this year as it is shown at E3, so what you see is what you get. No more time to polish things up, no more time to refine the gameplay. This is it.

So let's put our names on our predictions, will Halo Infinite impress or disappoint at E3 2021? Do you have faith 343 will pull off this ambitious open sandybox Halo experience?

Its been 6 years since Halo 5, it can go either way.
When was this confirmed by 343 and/or Microsoft?

Xsx will run campaign at 4k60 and mp at 120, bc multiplayer is smaller scope and will not have dynamic lights and AI and all that. If this games gonna be around for the entire gen basically, I want there to be a 120 hz mode. I'll be buying an OLED or whatever 4k120 thing in prob like 3 years. More 120hz modes the better
Surely they aren't doing native 4K?must be using DRS or a lower resolution. They're not going to be able to push the graphics if it's native 4K I don't think.

Probably 30fps for Campaign and 60fps for multiplayer like Gears 5. X1X and XSS versions will be very interesting with VRS being a certainty, I wonder if they have had time to get SFS or Mesh Shaders in.
Gears 5 was 60 in both campaign and multiplayer. Its clear you haven't played the game

cireza

Banned
It will disappoint people who were not going to play the game anyway. The same ones that said the game was ugly last year.

I don't care about being impressed by the visuals. I want a great, fun game, with clean graphics, 1080p@60fps at least.

I chose "It will disappoint again", but that's not to say I think the game will be bad, in fact it's my most anticipated game, but it's looking very likely that they will be focusing on mp this E3 and that's not really my bag. If Joe Staten presents the mp though, then that will be worth watching, I hope for some more memorable quotes like "Take it!" and "I could do this all day!!".
They are going to show campaign as well, I guess they'll have around 8 to 10min campaign (big improvement from last year). Then a MP trailer detailing all different modes and a beta announcement at the end.

I just want this game to be great and redeem itself after last year's mixed gameplay trailer. A lot is riding on this. Halo is a system seller and it's yet to fully live up to its potential after 343i took over. H4, H5, and even MCC (at launch) was dividing everyone.

Infinite doesn't have to be Godly or once in a lifetime kind of title but it needs to have that same impact the originals had to meet expectations

ZehDon

Gold Member
... Xbox is not stupid. This is their big boy and they're going to show him off in the best possible way.
I'm not attacking you when I say this, but let's be honest: this logic might have been sound the day before Halo Infinite's gameplay reveal, but after that disaster I think this is demonstrably not true. 343i has shown it really doesn't care; they're more than willing to wheel out poorly made Halo without batting an eye. That employee blog about how much "polish" went into Infinite's reveal, and those slow landscape pans during the gameplay reveal, expecting everyone to be impressed by low quality Xbone assets... pretty disgraceful in my books. I'm going into Xbox's show expecting to see pedestrian and underwhelming multiplayer footage with a very awkward forced eSports flair. In my opinion, expecting a decent showing from 343i is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Mr.ODST

I'm not attacking you when I say this, but let's be honest: this logic might have been sound the day before Halo Infinite's gameplay reveal, but after that disaster I think this is demonstrably not true. 343i has shown it really doesn't care; they're more than willing to wheel out poorly made Halo without batting an eye. That employee blog about how much "polish" went into Infinite's reveal, and those slow landscape pans during the gameplay reveal, expecting everyone to be impressed by low quality Xbone assets... pretty disgraceful in my books. I'm going into Xbox's show expecting to see pedestrian and underwhelming multiplayer footage with a very awkward forced eSports flair. In my opinion, expecting a decent showing from 343i is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
eSports ... oh my days

EDIT: Halo still has one of the biggest esport presence in the world, they will show the esports side of things which I'm hoping to see, there is nothing wrong with building hype around the multiplayer, you just seem ticked off that people are excited to see stuff on Halo, I agree graphically it wasn't great and MS set themselves up for disappointment but the gameplay looked great.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
I don`t see a game of this scale catching up to something like Horizon FW level optics in just a year, but maybe it will at least not plain suck anymore.

BabyYoda

Banned
They are going to show campaign as well, I guess they'll have around 8 to 10min campaign (big improvement from last year). Then a MP trailer detailing all different modes and a beta announcement at the end.
I hope so, I suspect it will be a bunch of mp and small trailer for sp and then beta news, perhaps even the shock announcement that beta/flight invites are being sent out now! We shall see! If they have a big team battle 2.0 that can rival battle royale and huge Battlefield sized maps, then I'll be more than happy though, as I'm not a fan of smaller maps, I'm a filthy casual!

I don`t see a game of this scale catching up to something like Horizon FW level optics in just a year, but maybe it will at least not plain suck anymore.
Unless the game shown was complete or close enough and the whole year and half was just on improving the graphics. Remember it was supposed to launch earlier.

Haggard

Banned
Unless the game shown was complete or close enough and the whole year and half was just on improving the graphics. Remember it was supposed to launch earlier.
You say "just" as if this was just a question of redoing some assets...
We're talking about revamping the whole engine if such a trainwreck is to be elevated to next gen flagship level visuals...

Yeh the H5 MP was pretty good. I just wished they had toned down all the little noises here and there, I found being audibly aware of my surroundings was heavily diluted due to the background noise of well everything else really.

If that demo is an example of the wider gameplay loop then I think I'm in for disappointment, and I do say this as a huge fan who has consumed a lot of the games/canon in the Halo universe, but to me that was not Halo. Ofc it may change but my initial impressions following that demo were very low, like is that the best they could do!?

The MP might be pretty lit but I come to Halo for the SP experience and stay for the MP. Who knows they might blow me away at E3 and I'll eat crow.
What’s wrong with gameplay loop what? It’s like an open sandbox halo?

EDIT: and to people expecting it to compete with Horizon 2 graphically - no it won’t come close to that I don’t know why you would expect that

Last edited:

Jaybe

I think disappointment with the campaign at least. People are fatigued on open world, especially when unnecessarily shoe horned in. It does most previously linear series a disservice (recent AC, Gears 5)

EDIT: and to people expecting it to compete with Horizon 2 graphically - no it won’t come close to that I don’t know why you would expect that
The Horizon comparisons never made any sense seeing how they are completely different types of games. 1st vs 3rd person. Single player vs Multi-player. So on and so forth.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Fair enough but still doesn't look like it can do anything ue5 can do.

If it was a ps game people would say it looks good but because it's xbox counter fans are being excessively critical.

Did ms even claim it'll be the best looking game mankind has seen?
No? Then people should stop with the nonsense.

Super Mario Bros 3 shit all over smb1 in the same generation.
Some people play games, others watch them.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Halo Infinite is Microsot's next flagship title. Last year, the game did not have a very good first impression due to multiple reasons. Time is almost up and here is what Halo Infinite needs to do in order to win back the fans.

I think it will disappoint. Or shows incredible graphics and better gameplay that the latest trailer or will be dead in action. And I hope I'm wrong because I want the contrary.

GamingKaiju

Hmm Halo always was a sandbox game it was only 4/5 that had a more “open” linear approach

With Halo taking a stab at GAAS I’m expecting them turn it up with better mission structure and gameplay if the loop is grapple, Kill ads, set up/ hold/ defend/collect 3 of then that reminds of many other GAAS titles that have fallen foul of poor thought out mission structure, Destiny comes to mind with a similar and stale mission structure but it’s gameplay was its saving grace adding a grappling hook won’t suddenly make up for poorly thought out mission structure.

I reserve judgment til we have more info but 343i haven’t lit the roof on fire yet.

NahaNago

I think it will be adequate. The visuals will be improved and gameplay will be solid but the visuals won't necessarily incredibly wow .

Hmm Halo always was a sandbox game it was only 4/5 that had a more “open” linear approach

With Halo taking a stab at GAAS I’m expecting them turn it up with better mission structure and gameplay if the loop is grapple, Kill ads, set up/ hold/ defend/collect 3 of then that reminds of many other GAAS titles that have fallen foul of poor thought out mission structure, Destiny comes to mind with a similar and stale mission structure but it’s gameplay was its saving grace adding a grappling hook won’t suddenly make up for poorly thought out mission structure.

I reserve judgment til we have more info but 343i haven’t lit the roof on fire yet.
Yeah I mean the OG halo assault on the control room and silent cartographer were probably the best levels in the series - which were more open - but they kinda dialed back on that a bit ever since. I mean they all have their open levels to a degree (except for halo 4 I think) but not THAT open. I dunno this seemed way more of a step in that direction than any of the other sequels, I am curious though - what would they have to show that would get you stoked gameplay-wise? Like in a presentation video? Like what mission structure loop?

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Yeah I mean the OG halo assault on the control room and silent cartographer were probably the best levels in the series - which were more open - but they kinda dialed back on that a bit ever since. I mean they all have their open levels to a degree (except for halo 4 I think) but not THAT open. I dunno this seemed way more of a step in that direction than any of the other sequels, I am curious though - what would they have to show that would get you stoked gameplay-wise? Like in a presentation video? Like what mission structure loop?

Just drop a load of info, an actual mission gameplay so we can see traversal mechanics in motion, mission design etc are we facing the same enemies again? What can expect from the end game?

Granted with Destiny, Bungies initial vision with Destiny was different from what we got but they gave us a good example of what to expect with patrols would be interesting to see what 343i bring to E3.

Just drop a load of info, an actual mission gameplay so we can see traversal mechanics in motion, mission design etc are we facing the same enemies again? What can expect from the end game?

Granted with Destiny, Bungies initial vision with Destiny was different from what we got but they gave us a good example of what to expect with patrols would be interesting to see what 343i bring to E3.
Well from the last one it seemed kinda like a mission, the traversal is similar except now there is a grappling hook, the enemies are the covenant type people not the robots, just seems like it’s more of a “choose what you wanna do in what order you wanna do it” take on missions, at least that’s what I gathered from the last one

GamingKaiju

Well from the last one it seemed kinda like a mission, the traversal is similar except now there is a grappling hook, the enemies are the covenant type people not the robots, just seems like it’s more of a “choose what you wanna do in what order you wanna do it” take on missions, at least that’s what I gathered from the last one

Would be fun to have our custom warthogs to ride around on or a mongoose.

Top Bottom