• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predictions: Will Halo Infinite impress or disappoint at E3?

-

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MonarchJT

Banned
I want Halo to look amazing but the last time I think anyone's jaw dropped on the floor when looking at a Halo game was Halo CE.

halo is the worst game to show the graphics potential of the console. For various reasons.
1 FPS is not the right genre .. for the same power budget a TPS will almost always look better.
2 The game itself. Halo has hardly ever been one of those games where people went crazy for its graphics.
3 The development team. Honestly though I found the halo infinite demo
gameplay incredible (and maybe it will be the best of the whole series)..... I don't think the 343i is a team at the top level when it comes to animation and graphics.

Last edited:

dem

We all know its gonna look bad.

I'd hate to be on the Halo team right now. Theyre gonna get absolutely destroyed on social media.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Naturally... peopel don;t pay $500 for new hardware for game that look completel last gen as flagship title
Some people do, considering that a lot of people get upset when nex gen titles run 30fps to increase the graphics. Halo Infinite could have been pushing 60+ with that art style for all we know. Just playing devil's advocate, I don't own a Series S/X or even play Halo.

CRAIG667

With some gamers being entitled as they are and fanboys being what they are I'd say it'd be a miracle to impress everyone.

Also... the Halo community has been very divided about what exactly makes Halo game good since the very start. It's a lose/lose situation for 343.

Samrf89

Why does everyone give so much of a shit about the graphics? It's Halo. If it's fun and has a kickass competitive multiplayer, then that's all you need.

Samrf89

We all know its gonna look bad.

I'd hate to be on the Halo team right now. Theyre gonna get absolutely destroyed on social media.
I don't think it's gonna look bad at all tbh and who cares what some idiots say on social media

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Depends onwhat you consider "impress".Will it satisfy long time Halo fans?Im 99% sure it will.

Will it impress gamers in general?Its possible, but I find it unlikely.

Rubik8

This game is like Chinese Democracy from Guns N Roses. A mythical being hyped up for a long time with big hopes and dreams. It will be good but ultimately crushed under expectations.
Lol you aren’t implying that Chinese Democracy was good, are you?

For people who are still saying that Halo was always a graphical showcase for Xbox, please remember E3 2007 when Halo 3 campaign footage was shown. It was called underwhelming, not next gen, practically dismissed visually next to Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4.

Halo, to me, has never been known for its graphics. The first time my head ever turned graphically for a Halo title was Halo Reach, and then Halo 4.

I hear people saying their jaws dropped for Halo CE. Mine sure as hell didn't. I wasn't remotely impressed, which is why I immediately abandoned the game even back then. The most impressive looking console games to me back then were JRPGs and other major japanese titles like Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid titles and Grand Theft Auto games. I didn't truly return to Halo as a franchise till the 360 when I gave CE a true shot after becoming interested in Halo finally after reading Halo: Ghosts of Onyx and Halo: Fall of Reach prior to Halo 3.

Halo 2 never blew me away visually either. It released to me not even caring back then. Nothing about it drew me in.

Halo Infinite to me, based on the latest screenshots, represents a major step up for a new Halo release in the franchise. None has looked better based on the latest screenshots.

Banned
Horizon looks gorgeous even if it comes to ps4 as we have seen. Also has a 60 fps mode so cant wiggle your way outta that one too.

Horizon will run at most likely 1080p60 or dynamic 1440p60, Halo Infinite is designed with 4K60fps and 1440p120fps in mind

can't compare them as in either mode Halo is designed to push at least 2x as many pixels per second as Horizon. so of course Horizon can have more things on screen as it has twice as much time to render a frame

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It's gonna look better visually but let's not kid ourselves, they didn't have time to change much.

I think they need to show off some new locations (not open forest-ish area like every Halo game) and some cool gameplay montage that looks different than anything we have seen in Halo. If they can't whip up anything interesting in this trailer, anything at all, then jesus christ it's time to gut 343 and remake the studio.

Spitfire098

So did everyone else who voted disappoint, it's all good.
Lamorne Morris Fox GIF by New Girl

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It will definitely dissappoint, but the hardcore fans will defend it no matter what. Hell, they defended Halo Infinite last year...

No doubt it will disappoint fans of 30fps cinematic walking sims that feature a lot of scripted combat, and/or QTEs as gameplay, but I believe it will impress most Halo fans and gamers that prefer 60-120 fps games that offer legitimately good gameplay and a game that's a lot of fun to actually play, not just look at.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's bound to disappoint, or at least the most vocal opinion will be that it was disappointing.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 5 is rated 84 and that's the lowest rated mainline Halo game. There is no way this is worse than 5, Halo 4 is rated 87 and again this is certainly going to be better than that. All the rest are rated way above 90, it has a very good chance of rating 90 or above just going by past entries.
Yeah people tend to forget even though 4 and 5 are made fun of that they still got decent metacritic scores. The new ratchet is only 2 points above Halo 4 and that's the second coming according to many posters here.

The consensus here is even if halo is the best game of century people here will just shit on it , I swear I had the most fun in halo 5 multiplayer than any online game last generation and in my opinion was the best multiplayer game last gen

I don’t think a year is as much time as people think it is, especially considering probably a lot of work is being done remotely still. I’m sure the game will be fun to play - people saying it’ll be straight up “bad”? What? Not even 343 halo games can be called actually bad if you play through them - what they showed gameplay wise last time was exactly what I want from a halo game. I really woulda been okay with them releasing that with those graphics at launch so whatever

Spacefish

For people who are still saying that Halo was always a graphical showcase for Xbox, please remember E3 2007 when Halo 3 campaign footage was shown. It was called underwhelming, not next gen, practically dismissed visually next to Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4.

Halo, to me, has never been known for its graphics. The first time my head ever turned graphically for a Halo title was Halo Reach, and then Halo 4.

I hear people saying their jaws dropped for Halo CE. Mine sure as hell didn't. I wasn't remotely impressed, which is why I immediately abandoned the game even back then. The most impressive looking console games to me back then were JRPGs and other major japanese titles like Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid titles and Grand Theft Auto games. I didn't truly return to Halo as a franchise till the 360 when I gave CE a true shot after becoming interested in Halo finally after reading Halo: Ghosts of Onyx and Halo: Fall of Reach prior to Halo 3.

Halo 2 never blew me away visually either. It released to me not even caring back then. Nothing about it drew me in.

Halo Infinite to me, based on the latest screenshots, represents a major step up for a new Halo release in the franchise. None has looked better based on the latest screenshots.

Halo wasn't always bleeding edge but it looked good for it's time, there were very few complaints about visuals back then and in retrospect there is only praise for what bungie and even 343 achieved. Halo infinite on its reveal is the first time in the series that they felt more than a full generation behind, this is extra confusing considering how long its been in development compared to any prior release, they built an entire engine for it, they have access to the most powerful console on the market and its one of the most expensive development cycles of all time, yet there were times where it was up to debate whether it looked worse than an up-rez of halo 4. The updated screenshots look much better, its back to the position it used to hold where its not mind-blowing but there isn't much to complain about, I suspect it will age pretty well because it has a clean somewhat stylised look.

Even though its reached an acceptable level its still confusing why it was in such a poor state so near to its planned launch and why even though they have a budget that is probably 3-5x that of premium Sony first party they still feel so far behind. Beyond the visuals I haven't seen anything particularly fresh or exciting on the gameplay front. From all they have shown i can only conclude there's something wrong with 343.

could really care less about the graphics, this game is gonna suck like every other 343i produced game ever made. It's sad, Halo is dead

lachesis

I have nothing really against Halo or anything else - I immensely enjoyed Halo 1 on my old Xbox, as well as Halo 2. I'm not much fan of FPS to begin with, so Golden Eye on N64, and Halo/Halo2 on the original Xbox were the only ones that I really played quite a bit. At that time, Halo 2 really impressed me visually, compared to the original Halo, it felt like at least a half-gen upgrade. Halo 3 also was impressive, as it was a true generational leap. But since then, it felt like miniscule improvements here and there. Yes, they are cleaner than ever and all - but even Halo Infinite, really hasn't impressed me that much. Not really quite sure what it is - perhaps it feels somewhat "flat" or just the art direction, or general color palettes. It's not like you will get chiaroscuro type of drastic lighting too. But seeing a lot of games with such cinematic look, I sometimes wonder what Halo would look like in that type of gfx... although the teaser CGs tend to have no problem achieving such look... but when it comes down to gameplay itself... hmm.

One thing that I'm not too impressed is the player/enemy animation - especially jumping animation in Multi-player. They all jump like.. say "old" Mario-esque jumps, and all rather look pretty funky. It would be lovely to see they grab onto the ledge and pull themselves up, when they jumped wrong height - or whatnot.. but I guess it may interfere with the aiming and all.

So yeah. I'm rather prepared to be not blown away visually - but I think it's the community of players that makes the game shine... so I wish the fans good luck.

Wimbledon

Never had faith in 343i, I would love, LOVE to be wrong. I really want them to blow me away at E3 but I just don't faith in them.

Every time it's always an uphill battle with 343i, they can never get it right the first time. I admire their persistence but they've already divided most of what's left of this community.

This will make or break them. Honestly, they REALLY NEED A WIN.

Last edited:

Markio128

Ever the optimist, I chose the impress option because there can only be one direction to go after the last reveal.
You Got This It Gets Better GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

I doubt halo can ever return to "throw money at the screen" level.

Truth might be that 343 has hit their skill cap. 2 Entries already and we are still riding on the hope that this one...this one will be the one.
I would still play it because I like lengthy single player campaign.
343i has literally made 10 Halo games, LMAO...do a quick Google search

Raekwon26

Almost exactly one year ago, I remember reading here how Halo was going to blow people away with how it looks, the slipspace engine was going to be phenomenal and the true power of the XSX will be shown.......

.................. one year later and here we are with the same people now trying to "temper expectations".

Unreal.

Almost exactly one year ago, I remember reading here how Halo was going to blow people away with how it looks, the slipspace engine was going to be phenomenal and the true power of the XSX will be shown.......

.................. one year later and here we are with the same people now trying to "temper expectations".

Unreal.
Well duh... logically those people would have learned their lesson..

//DEVIL//

I honestly don't care I just want to play it.

Wait.. it's coming this year right? if it's a next year game hell will break loose. :/

Mr.ODST

Unreal.
You are literally obsessed, it was a huge disappointment but so what? We can see if its improved on Sunday.

Ofcourse people will be hyped for Halo and its been rightly discussed, your just reiterating yourself to give yourself Sony Fanboy points

Raekwon26

You are literally obsessed, it was a huge disappointment but so what? We can see if its improved on Sunday.

Ofcourse people will be hyped for Halo and its been rightly discussed, your just reiterating yourself to give yourself Sony Fanboy points

Sorry if I'm upsetting you. /s

PuffyCan

Hope they cancel the 120fps mode and just make the XSX 60fps and xone 30fps, that way they keep the old gen version without making the xsx one look dated

elliot5

Hope they cancel the 120fps mode and just make the XSX 60fps and xone 30fps, that way they keep the old gen version without making the xsx one look dated
Xsx will run campaign at 4k60 and mp at 120, bc multiplayer is smaller scope and will not have dynamic lights and AI and all that. If this games gonna be around for the entire gen basically, I want there to be a 120 hz mode. I'll be buying an OLED or whatever 4k120 thing in prob like 3 years. More 120hz modes the better

Halo wasn't always bleeding edge but it looked good for it's time, there were very few complaints about visuals back then and in retrospect there is only praise for what bungie and even 343 achieved. Halo infinite on its reveal is the first time in the series that they felt more than a full generation behind, this is extra confusing considering how long its been in development compared to any prior release, they built an entire engine for it, they have access to the most powerful console on the market and its one of the most expensive development cycles of all time, yet there were times where it was up to debate whether it looked worse than an up-rez of halo 4. The updated screenshots look much better, its back to the position it used to hold where its not mind-blowing but there isn't much to complain about, I suspect it will age pretty well because it has a clean somewhat stylised look.

Even though its reached an acceptable level its still confusing why it was in such a poor state so near to its planned launch and why even though they have a budget that is probably 3-5x that of premium Sony first party they still feel so far behind. Beyond the visuals I haven't seen anything particularly fresh or exciting on the gameplay front. From all they have shown i can only conclude there's something wrong with 343.

Seth Meyers Thank You GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I'm glad you see what they're going for.

As to why it looked like that mere months before it's planned launch, horrible mismanagement, only thing that makes sense. Or maybe COVID just impacted their schedule that significantly.

As to the gameplay side, I don't think that's fully shown yet. Remember this game has upgrades, so it seems there's a new pseudo RPG feel to go with its psedu open world approach. We shall see.

I still maintain to this day that if I can't dive out of a pelican battle royale style during campaign I'll see that as a huge missed opportunity.

Top Bottom