• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predictions: Will Halo Infinite impress or disappoint at E3?

-

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think all they need to do is put ray tracing, and make all the floors the super shiny marble. Oh and make Master Chiefs armor stainless steel. That would give such a visual change, without it… people are going to roast even if they upgrade the enemies.

But does it even matter? It will be on gamepass. It will have traffic as long as it’s mechanically sound.

MonarchJT

Banned
ita a crossgen multimode semi openworld 60fps first person shooter it is what it is don't know what people expecting knowing that it must also run on Xbox One.
Gameplay wise...it was looking already from the first demo that there's a big chance that is the best halo in the series

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Halo Infinite is using last gen game engine.
If the graphics look ok and gameplay is fun i'll be impressed.
Gameplay being the most important part.

Only negative nancy sony fanboys are being hyper critical of the graphics.

The outside screens look decent (nothing special but not what you'd call bad) but that indoor screen is terrible. Come on it's practically using Doom 3 bump maps and if you look at the enemies (especially the ones closest to you), they aren't even casting proper (if any) shadows and the same can be said for part of the building structure. You'd think at the very least they could just add in ray tracing for Series X version. Ray tracing would probably improve the entire visual look.

I'm not claiming that ray tracing can just be "switched on" like that but seriously if there is no visual improvement from those screens (and if I remember correctly those screens aren't that old) then it's a "no" from me in the visual department.

Doesn't mean it won't be a fun game but it certainly doesn't look very impressive.
What game are you comparing it to? And they are all WIP from the PC version. We haven't in fact seen the Series X version or any Xbox versions yet. You see these are not touched up screens that most developers use to show off their game, these are just to give an idea of the visual direction. Sunday I'm sure you'll be impressed by what they show.

You are wrong mate, it's a brand new engine, don't spread fud around please. Do a little research before posting.

Knightime_X

You are wrong mate, it's a brand new engine, don't spread fud around please. Do a little research before posting.
Nah it's not as advanced as say unreal engine 5 so not expecting anything special.
Source of new next gen engine? Because I say it's bs.

Last edited:

CuNi

Sunday I'm sure you'll be impressed by what they show.

I sure hope you are right on this one.
343 really has to deliver something good, and I don't mean a game of the generation, but after H4 and H5, they really do have a lot of redeeming to do.

Graphics I don't give a shit, but it's 343i. They completely butchered the franchise, what a fucking mess.

I want it to be good, but I have zero trust in 343i. Halo 4 was not bad at all, but the amount of trash released after under their umbrella (also MS heads fault), Spartan Assault, Spartan Strike, Halo 5... all fucking trash that devalued the brand deeply imo. I wish the original Halo team could work on it again.

NikuNashi

Without wanting to console war just a fact. I can imagine after the ratchet reviews and analysis came in today there's a lot of MS execs and 343 managers with squeaky bums. Obviously the 343 diversity hires think Craig is great as everyone should be applauded even for trying regardless of the result.

supernova8

Banned
What game are you comparing it to? And they are all WIP from the PC version. We haven't in fact seen the Series X version or any Xbox versions yet. You see these are not touched up screens that most developers use to show off their game, these are just to give an idea of the visual direction. Sunday I'm sure you'll be impressed by what they show.
Well I did explicitly say Doom 3 bump maps.

Even if it's not next-gen exclusive, it is meant to be their flagbearer title.

And they are all WIP from the PC version. We haven't in fact seen the Series X version or any Xbox versions yet.

So you think that the Xbox Series X (or any Xbox version) would be better than the PC version? Face it, whatever they showed is likely as good as it looked at the time. Sure I'd love to be impressed on Sunday, I just highly doubt it.

oldergamer

Huh funny how your post wasn't deleted but mine was. I said the same but with less flames. Most xbox fans will like it. Everyone else will crap on it.

I don't know, maybe you'll tell me:

haloinfinite_campaign_pc_32x9_wm-9194fba57f384695964cd4d794e607d6.png

haloinfinite_campaign_pc_spire_32x9_wm-4926c5c11eea444daab70d0bd1dbd0e7.png

haloinfinite_campaign_pc_ring_21x9-9bc8168f0b9b49d28aa515e31bc93d91.png

And to be honest a years isn't really that much, I have never seen a final game that's drastically changed compared to it's announce/reveal trailer (unless we're talking about downgrades), it's always just a slight artistic touches here and there, most noticeably different color palette, but on the technical level not much ever changes. It's not like they're gonna remodel every asset of a game that's suppose to ship last year, they won't add proper PBR to every material in the game, they won't re-do their entire animations system, and so on, it's just too late. They will probably show a different environment and different enemies this time around, so we wont't be able to do any direct comparisons, but I honestly don't expect the final game to look much different that last year's gameplay. I'll be happy to be proven wrong tho.
I don’t know, a whole year just to polish the game it’s quite a bit of time considering that most games take 3 to 5 years to create the ground up.

Mr.ODST

Anybody considered that the MP is F2P and seems to be separate from the actual Infinite SP, so could be two versions, one for last gen and one for next-gen potentially (probs not) but just a thought.

I feel the MP will look completely different to the SP

Last edited:
Nah it's not as advanced as say unreal engine 5 so not expecting anything special.
Most games run off old game engines. Halo 4 was a modified version of Halo Reach's engine which was a modified version of Halo 3's engine, which was a modified engine of Halo 2's and so on. Halo Infinite is the first Halo where they completely scrapped the previous engine and started from scratch. That means that Halo 5, a third generation game was using a heavily modified version of the same engine used for the original Halo.

It's very common for devs to use an existing engine because they know all the ins and outs of said engine. That being said, the slipspace engine is brand new and made with next gen in mind.

What is interesting to me is how so many (in this thread even) are judging 343 by the graphics of the game demo from last year, when 343's first Halo game, Halo 4, was beautiful from a graphics standpoint. Most of 343's issues haven't stemmed from failing to make good looking games, but from abilities and mechanics put into Halo 4 and a very underwhelming campaign story in Halo 5.

They have the ability to make a good game. It's just a matter of putting together the complete package and not sabotaging their game with bad gameplay decisions or a bad story imo.

Last edited:

Derift

so the overall feeling I'm getting from this thread is temper expectations.... which is pretty sad for a 1st party studio offering with one of the biggest gaming franchise of the last 2 decades

M

Mr.Vodoo

Unconfirmed Member
It will, for the most part, be the same game. Fans should not get their hopes up for this thing.

It will, for the most part, be the same game. Fans should not get their hopes up for this thing.
It is the same game, but with substantial improvement across the board. I really don't know why people think it will look the same, they have made massive changes and improvements. Unless they are lying and the new screens are fake it's improved.

I think all they need to do is put ray tracing, and make all the floors the super shiny marble. Oh and make Master Chiefs armor stainless steel. That would give such a visual change, without it… people are going to roast even if they upgrade the enemies.

But does it even matter? It will be on gamepass. It will have traffic as long as it’s mechanically sound.
Yep, it's like literally polishing a turd until it gets shiny, but it's still a turd.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
ita a crossgen multimode semi openworld 60fps first person shooter it is what it is don't know what people expecting knowing that it must also run on Xbox One.
Gameplay wise...it was looking already from the first demo that there's a big chance that is the best halo in the series

People where expecting to have their jaws drop to the floor, this is MS tentpole release, a new Halo running on the most powerful console ever, their moment to shine and say FUCK YOU to the world and put the previous gen to bed.. instead we got Craig, they need to up their game ffs, i've yet to see anything on the Series X that makes me think.. fuck i wouldnt mind playing that or Holy shit that looks incredible.. its been what 6mths and they've still to wow me ffs

Originally the marketing said the engine was completely newly built up for next-gen, which got quickly dispelled after the abysmal showing of the actual game, running on pc. The engine probably has some new features though like ray-tracing capabilities etc, but it is very much the same engine itself.

The Alien

Banned
Cant wait to see the MP tbh, its where I spend a ridiculous amount of my time, luckily on a twitch partners panel for the watch along being the only Xbox player in the group lol
Cool!!!

Yeah, for both Halo & like Gears for me, I'll give the campaigns a play through (maybe 2x for achievements or higher difficulty), but def spend eedicukous amounts of time in mp.

Think Halo Infinite gonna deliver. Halo 5 mp was fantastic...so if evolves and improves on that, it'll all be good! 😎

OverHeat

« generous god »
Visually it will disappoint because people Won’t understand that RT GI is the center point for this title.

Originally the marketing said the engine was completely newly built up for next-gen, which got quickly dispelled after the abysmal showing of the actual game, running on pc. The engine probably has some new features though like ray-tracing capabilities etc, but it is very much the same engine itself.
Why are you just talking rubbish? Show me where it says it's the same engine? It may have 5% of the old engine still in it but for all intents and purposes it's a new engine.

Just rewatched Alex from Digital Foundry's analysis of the gameplay demo last year and just how good he was at picking out the problems and how possibly they could fix them. Will be interesting to see his take on the new reveal Sunday and how far its come on in 10 months.

Interesting that in the video he mentions being told that a ray tracing patch will be released after the game launches. But that was before the game was delayed. Perhaps it will be implemented now. I'm in agreement with his opinion that 4k isn't necessary though, especially if lowering the resolution a bit will alleviate some of the other technical challenges.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I vote for disappointment, at least this way I can be pleasantly surprised or right which is two positives in my book.

Mr.ODST

Interesting that in the video he mentions being told that a ray tracing patch will be released after the game launches. But that was before the game was delayed. Perhaps it will be implemented now. I'm in agreement with his opinion that 4k isn't necessary though, especially if lowering the resolution a bit will alleviate some of the other technical challenges.
Doubt it will be in the final product just yet, hopefully it will as the game will look incredible with it on!

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't understand why people are expecting a Halo game to blow them away visually whatever gets shown. Games might as well have taken place in hangars and yards.

05122701115l.jpg

ZywyPL

Banned
Just rewatched Alex from Digital Foundry's analysis of the gameplay demo last year and just how good he was at picking out the problems and how possibly they could fix them. Will be interesting to see his take on the new reveal Sunday and how far its come on in 10 months.

There is some truth to that, especially in racing games like GT and Forza where the cars and everything looks rather flat and uninteresting during the day, but everything dramatically changes at sunrise, sunset or evening where all the details pop out but... no, just no, there's way more issues in Halo's visuals than just the time of day, it's just seriously underwhelming on both technical and especially artistic, they have openly admitted to wanting to recreate the visuals of Halo 3, and needless to say they successfully achieved that...

johnjohn

I don't know, maybe you'll tell me:

haloinfinite_campaign_pc_spire_32x9_wm-4926c5c11eea444daab70d0bd1dbd0e7.png

haloinfinite_campaign_pc_ring_21x9-9bc8168f0b9b49d28aa515e31bc93d91.png

And to be honest a years isn't really that much, I have never seen a final game that's drastically changed compared to it's announce/reveal trailer (unless we're talking about downgrades), it's always just a slight artistic touches here and there, most noticeably different color palette, but on the technical level not much ever changes. It's not like they're gonna remodel every asset of a game that's suppose to ship last year, they won't add proper PBR to every material in the game, they won't re-do their entire animations system, and so on, it's just too late. They will probably show a different environment and different enemies this time around, so we wont't be able to do any direct comparisons, but I honestly don't expect the final game to look much different that last year's gameplay. I'll be happy to be proven wrong tho.
These shots looks great though and definitely an improvement over what they showed last year... And it's not about re-doing things, for a large part it's about actually finishing their engine work and adding in proper textures and animations.

The issues with what they showed last year were overblown in the first place, all the game needs is a bit of polish. Just get rid of the pop-in and it'll be fine and a good looking game. Where the game will really shine is with its buttery smooth 60fps 4k open world sandbox gameplay.

Last edited:

McCarth

I'm surprised to see the votes for disappoint. I think it'll impress, particularly graphically. It's only issue was the insane idea to try to launch last year, that had no chance. The game is receiving the time it needed.

MonarchJT

Banned
People where expecting to have their jaws drop to the floor, this is MS tentpole release, a new Halo running on the most powerful console ever, their moment to shine and say FUCK YOU to the world and put the previous gen to bed.. instead we got Craig, they need to up their game ffs, i've yet to see anything on the Series X that makes me think.. fuck i wouldnt mind playing that or Holy shit that looks incredible.. its been what 6mths and they've still to wow me ffs
yes we need that but surely will not be a cross.gen game. Anyone with a bit of a brain should understand this.

Kuranghi

+1

They must've known the graphics wouldn't impress compared to what we are used to when going to a whole new generation, obviously its because of it being open-world (ish) and 60fps, which is why my mind was boggled by the gameplay we got, you'd think they'd push the boat out there.

I was really hoping they'd show a map similar to the first level set on Halo in CE, where they are travelling through some valleys in a vehicle and then finding an outpost and showing how you can approach it from a few different angles or the like. The gameplay we got looked to me like a polished dev sandbox, rather than an actual game, where they had set everything up to be interacted with like a laundry list of checking off features:

Dev: "The warthog is handling well enough, the physics seem good on the jump, problem with collision detection on Jackal that is run over" *checks it off list of features*

"Okay, whats next, shooting?" *enemies stand in place and wait to be shot by PC* "Right, well that looks very visually exciting and shooting really looks like Halo 1, fantastic"

How can they not know that it would look bad to have a shooting gallery like that. If you are going for this nostalgic design where it seems like they want it to literally play like Halo:CE, at least polish the hell out of the basic elements, like make the ragdoll/vehicle physics A LOT better than they are in the reveal video.

Or just show a scenario thats not been in Halo before, like getting in a pelican of your own volition and directing/flying it over to an island in the middle of a lake/small sea and touching down on it to go on an adventure on the island. Even if the game was EXACTLY as shown graphically, if the scenario of the gameplay was fresh I would've been onboard straight away.

Jesu Christi, all I want is to go on a fun shooting/driving/flying adventure around some large-ish maps as Master Chief, it doesn't need to reinvent the wheel but lets at least get back to the fun of Halo 1 as a starting point, just mixing in some modern game stuff like persistance or big-scale vehicle battles.

Dabaus

Banned
The fact that Xbox influencers and paid for shills have already moved on to starfield as the savior of Xbox is all you need to know IMO.

BbMajor7th

There's no doubt they've got a mountain to climb, but I think it's less technical and more conceptual. Gears and Halo both have the same issue of still having a lot in common with entries from two generations ago. Games like God of War, Resident Evil VII and Breath of the Wild earned a lot of 'wow' factor, just by being a considerable departure from previous entries. I honestly think 343i will have to work twice as hard to knock socks off, just for that reason.

Knightime_X

It's a brand new engine.
Fair enough but still doesn't look like it can do anything ue5 can do.

If it was a ps game people would say it looks good but because it's xbox counter fans are being excessively critical.

Did ms even claim it'll be the best looking game mankind has seen?
No? Then people should stop with the nonsense.

Super Mario Bros 3 shit all over smb1 in the same generation.

Top Bottom