• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predictions: Will Halo Infinite impress or disappoint at E3?

-

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It will impress with a wealth of content, however, it will disappoint graphics whores.

Option 3. Neither. They had to cancel the last gen versions to make any substantial changes to the visuals. They didnt.

Gameplay wise the combat looked stale and boring. It's gonna be like Gears 5 which some people liked so maybe it might impress fans of the series.

By looking at how amazing games like Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank, and Spiderman Miles Morales look, all of which are cross-gen titles. Your first statement and conclusion is dead nuts, fuckin' wrong.

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
I wanted Halo Infinite to take a page (or even a short paragraph) out of Destiny's playbook - add some rpg elements. Some degree of gear customization, guns/mods/armor to upgrade or enhance your playstyle. It didn't have to be Destiny, or Outriders or Borderlands,...just add a little mode depth in those departments to add some enjoyment and depth/replayability to the PVE side of things.

Since none of that is happening, I'm already disappointed and couldn't care less if Craig got plastic surgery. I'm sure it will be a fine Halo experience.

Man they could get up there and cure cancer with the game and it's still going to be a divided audience/bunch of replies.

I personally don't really like to engage in the console/company beef so im one of those guys that gets to sit back, smoke a joint, and laugh while all of you tee off on each other. Please do not disappoint :messenger_tears_of_joy:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I did think the game looked incredibly underwhelming, visual wise, but if the game had a super high framerate and played like classic Halo...I don't see where the issue would be? Massive multiplayer battles, solid single player experience. When I saw the reveal trailer I totally got the impression that the visual style was deliberate because it was going to feel like the OG Halo.

People get way too hung up on graphics.

I always thought what they showed gameplay wise looked fun, here’s hoping the graphics and lighting have been improved to a significant degree. Probably gonna use a Gamepass trial to give the Campaign a try and decided if I wanna buy it based on that.

I have no hope for this game.

343 failed to understand halo players by adding loadouts in halo 4 (cod).

343 killed MCC on release 2014-18 (killed classic fan's interest for 4 years). Probably the worst launch for a video game ever - maybe 2nd now to Cyberpunk - so possibly worst mp game launch

343 added micro-transactions in halo 5 (full-priced game). (plus the campaign and multiplayer was terrible and overall not well received - missing content at launch added later as 'free' DLC when it should have been at launch). Multiplayer lacking player-favorite playlists also did not help. Additionally, never forget 'Hunt the Truth'.

-essentially 343 has already fooled me 3 times and more.
Hey they got Halo CE Anniversary right. 1-3 ain't too bad.

Ok maybe it's a bit bad.

Unrelated I dislike the poll. It's another loaded question poll where you can only agree or disagree with the OP's loaded question. It should have an option to say it will simply be a good game and fans will be happy. Regardless, I think the game will impress. It's crazy we have everyone basing their opinion on a small demo of one small part of the entire game. Forge, theater, multiplayer, warzone, firefight , and who knows what else, but we haven't seen anything of the game yet.

Loaded poll? Use your brain, people will be impressed with the showing or not, this isn't a debate, having fun with the game has nothing to do with the thread question. The game could impress everyone and suck on release and be more broken than Cyberpunk, an example of a game that impressed people before launch.

I think now that we've seen how good Horizon looks (as a cross-gen game, that is), anything less than "looks really nice" is going to be a failure in the eyes of anyone who isn't already super into Halo (and already thinks it looks fine).

In other words, I don't think they are going to change any minds. People made their minds up like a year ago.
We to be fair we'd also have to compare the multi-player modes in both games too.

Loaded poll? Use your brain, people will be impressed with the showing or not, this isn't a debate, having fun with the game has nothing to do with the thread question. The game could impress everyone and suck on release and be more broken than Cyberpunk, an example of a game that impressed people before launch.
Not being impressed doesn't necessarily mean being disappointed. If the game didn't try anything new but is still a lot of fun to play that could fall in the middle somewhere. I just don't like having to be impressed or disappointed. It's like when a waiter at a restaurant asks if everything tastes great. I'm forced to say yes or imply that the food is horrible. Maybe the food isn't amazing but that doesn't mean that it is bad either. I would have preferred a middle ground option. I'm a bit critical of most poll choices on NeoGAF lol. In fairness to you, at least you didn't have some obnoxious joke choice too that completely ruins the results of the poll.

Termite

A year is more than enough time to polish the game up if they were that close to releasing last year but I don't think the issue last year was lack of time, but rather lack of talent. 343 has never shown anything to believe that they have the talent of one of the top studios, so I don't see why I'd bet on them doing it now.

Where I think the year will have done a world of good is just balancing and playtesting the game. Making sure the open-level single player map has a good balance of interesting encounters, making sure MP maps are balanced etc. For that reason I'm expecting the gameplay to be relatively good, and for the game to get a good reception. That's ultimately what matters. But will that show well at e3, where everyone will be looking for a huge leap forward graphically? I'm not sure.

Also, I really hope they don't focus on the visual improvement to that one brute, "Craig". Their use of that meme to distract from all the other criticism was so transparent and cringeworthy. Like, "lol people are just memeing us guys, we'll play along". No, people thought what you showed was shit on many different levels and that brute was simply representative of them and funny to boot. Do NOT mention that meme this time around, please.

Stare-Bear

Banned
It's hard to imagine that they can show off a visually jaw-dropping game after just 1-year delay. If the rumours are true, it's the engine that's holding things back, and it being cross-gen. It will look like any other halo game, not much better and not much worse.

The Alien

Banned
I do agree with your points but I disagree it was a mistake to go back to the original Halo artstyle, it signals going back to more of the roots of what made halo .. halo, and while it wont be graphically impressive the gameplay looks great.
First, def agree the gameplay actually looked great. I'm excited and I think this will be a great Halo title. But nobody was talking about that - which is kinda sad.

I didn't have too much of an issue with the art style direction, per se, but feel that most of the negativity centers around that. I think the "mistake" they made in the art style is two-fold:
  1. The graphics expectations for a next gem console release were high. That showcase didn't deliver and Microsoft erred in debuting it only to delay it a day later.
  2. What we've seen from the game hasn't been consistent. The first debut trailer at E3 a year or 2 ago looked better than the showcase. Additionally, the graphics leading into that showcase were amazing, high fidelity graphics (making of the armor, floating space stations, etc.). That inconsistency didn't help the showcase.
Im confident its gonna be a great game.
Hope u enjoy as well.

I do feel that Halo (and XBox in general) are unfairly under more scrutiny than any other company. So I expect a lot of unfair negativity around Halo regardless of how it looks

Mr.ODST

First, def agree the gameplay actually looked great. I'm excited and I think this will be a great Halo title. But nobody was talking about that - which is kinda sad.

I didn't have too much of an issue with the art style direction, per se, but feel that most of the negativity centers around that. I think the "mistake" they made in the art style is two-fold:
  1. The graphics expectations for a next gem console release were high. That showcase didn't deliver and Microsoft erred in debuting it only to delay it a day later.
  2. What we've seen from the game hasn't been consistent. The first debut trailer at E3 a year or 2 ago looked better than the showcase. Additionally, the graphics leading into that showcase were amazing, high fidelity graphics (making of the armor, floating space stations, etc.). That inconsistency didn't help the showcase.
Im confident its gonna be a great game.
Hope u enjoy as well.

I do feel that Halo (and XBox in general) are unfairly under more scrutiny than any other company. So I expect a lot of unfair negativity around Halo regardless of how it looks
Cant wait to see the MP tbh, its where I spend a ridiculous amount of my time, luckily on a twitch partners panel for the watch along being the only Xbox player in the group lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It will impress with a wealth of content, however, it will disappoint graphics whores.

By looking at how amazing games like Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank, and Spiderman Miles Morales look, all of which are cross-gen titles. Your first statement and conclusion is dead nuts, fuckin' wrong.
It's a 60 fps game on last gen consoles and when it was shown, it didnt look as good as Spiderman Miles which is a 30 fps game on last gen consoles and was able to push graphical fidelity much further than Halo Infinite. Same goes for Horizon. 30 fps games will always look better than 60 fps games especially 30 fps cross gen games like Horizon and Miles which use the 30 fps budget to really push graphics. Halo is handicapped by both last gen and their 60 fps target.

Ratchet isnt cross gen btw.

I really really really don't understand how people can expect a 120fps multiplayer game to be a "graphical showcase" If you're comparing still images of this game to still images of 60fps or 30fps games, you are clueless.

I for one am happy that they are prioritizing frame rate over fidelity. Even with the crappy lighting in the last trailer, I would say that it was maybe the best looking 120fps open world/multiplayer console game ever shown. I mean, have a their even been any others and that fit those unique and highly challenging parameters?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not releasing Halo Infinite at the launch of the Series X made no sense, that said Infinite E3 will give good news on the game, and will be treated like the big AAA FPS it is. Halo 5 now is still awesome.

GamingKaiju

The core gameplay is top-notch tho, I'm more than sure the MP will be played to death by millions of people. With that being said, they IMO should've release just the MP portion of the game as F2P last year, and keep working on the SP campaign, DLCs and potential visual improvements until they're done.
Yeh the H5 MP was pretty good. I just wished they had toned down all the little noises here and there, I found being audibly aware of my surroundings was heavily diluted due to the background noise of well everything else really.

Correction, it took 343 5 years to completely redo the game engine after scrapping early progress on it. You do realize that the engine made was done with next gen in mind? I suspect that the HDR effects in the game for people with HDR TV's will be pretty sick. Or at least I hope so lol.

Everything you've seen being limited to a short campaign demo a year ago? That doesn't take into consideration multiplayer including warzone, firefight, traditional multiplayer, big team battle, forge, theater and whatever else they have put into the game.

If that demo is an example of the wider gameplay loop then I think I'm in for disappointment, and I do say this as a huge fan who has consumed a lot of the games/canon in the Halo universe, but to me that was not Halo. Ofc it may change but my initial impressions following that demo were very low, like is that the best they could do!?

The MP might be pretty lit but I come to Halo for the SP experience and stay for the MP. Who knows they might blow me away at E3 and I'll eat crow.

Chronos24

Here's a thought. Let's erase everything up to this point since last year, and let's say they released the game when it was supposed to be with little to no changes even though people weren't happy with the initial showing. Now, like MCC it was released as shit but improved and updated over the years to what it is now which is pretty damn nice. Would Infinite have benefited the same or forgotten?

Edit: forgot to mention that Infinite is supposed to be a long, oft updated game much like MCC from what I remember right?

Last edited:

Entroyp

My vote goes to it will impress. Expectations are super high and MS has everything it needs to deliver.

Impress.

Not graphics, but the overall presentation. If visuals impress as well, then it's a cherry on top. But I set my expectations low to not get disappointed graphically. It's just been a year.

It's Microsoft's flagship Xbox title, they're not gonna let it slide to quite possibly their biggest entry in the series, yet. From hiring back the Bungie vets from the OG team to the recent updates via Waypoint, they're taking things more seriously than last E3.

So, yes. I expect whatever content is to be shown will (SHOULD) impress fans and the general audience alike, aside from the graphics, which we can't really take a guess unless it's crystal ball. They HAVE to deliver, no two ways about it.

Launch window (holiday 2021) is literally 4-5 months away.

Qaloon

I’ve been playing a lot of Halo 3 for the past year. I was underwhelmed by the fidelity and pop-in issues last summer. But I did like the emphasis on sandbox elements, which reflects how Halo 3 plays.

The more I analyse the gameplay loop, the more excited I get when looking ahead to Infinite. If you know what Halo is supposed to be (a sandbox game), then you will be optimistic.

supernova8

Banned
Those screens look great.

The outside screens look decent (nothing special but not what you'd call bad) but that indoor screen is terrible. Come on it's practically using Doom 3 bump maps and if you look at the enemies (especially the ones closest to you), they aren't even casting proper (if any) shadows and the same can be said for part of the building structure. You'd think at the very least they could just add in ray tracing for Series X version. Ray tracing would probably improve the entire visual look.

I'm not claiming that ray tracing can just be "switched on" like that but seriously if there is no visual improvement from those screens (and if I remember correctly those screens aren't that old) then it's a "no" from me in the visual department.

Doesn't mean it won't be a fun game but it certainly doesn't look very impressive.

supernova8

Banned
The studio of SJW lesbians will have retooled it again, diluted their vision again, and I cant wait to laugh at it.

You can tell when a game reveal is going to be shit when the majority of the "reveal" is actually just shots of interviews in the studio with various versions of "Karen" or whoever talking about their "vision" for the game without actually showing much of the fucking game.

It would actually be pretty funny if the game ran at like 15fps but looked like real life, lol. This forum would implode.

Speculation on a couple of things -
  • AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution could be a thing with Infinite, I know it launches on 22nd this month but hopefully AMD, Xbox and 343 are ahead of the game here and get some extra horse power while going for 4K/60fps. Sony seem to be making trade offs around these areas well e.g. 30fps campaigns or dropping down from 4K to hit 60fps.
  • 343 may look at going back from 60fps to 30fps in campaign. Honestly I'm all for 60fps in multiplayer but I'm not so sure it's warranted for campaign. Again it could open up grunt to push some extreme visuals.

Aside from the graphics focus I'm really curious where 343 are taking Halo e.g. game modes, innovation, gameplay, PvE? etc. There's a wide array of things that hold my interest beyond what was shown last year and graphical updates.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Why would it not like it could be fixed the best case is polish the game play. I just want them to get the game out and start firing people to start rebuilding the studio. The current leadership failed and don't deserve any more chances.

Plot twist! Infinite wasn't ready to launch last year and the delay had nothing to do with the poor reception to the campaign demo at E3. In fact, they purposefully showed the demo in that state so that people would freak out and give them an excuse to delay the game without as much blowback. I'm not one for believing crazy conspiracy theories but it is suspect that they didn't have any multiplayer to show last year. If the game was releasing last fall on schedule the E3 reveal should have been a full blown reveal. It wasn't. Which gives a little credence to the theory that the game just wasn't ready. The part about purposefully showing a less than stellar demo of the game is obviously fantasy land material, but I think the game would have been delayed regardless.

The Office Reaction GIF

Plot twist! Infinite wasn't ready to launch last year and the delay had nothing to do with the poor reception to the campaign demo at E3. In fact, they purposefully showed the demo in that state so that people would freak out and give them an excuse to delay the game without as much blowback. I'm not one for believing crazy conspiracy theories but it is suspect that they didn't have any multiplayer to show last year. If the game was releasing last fall on schedule the E3 reveal should have been a full blown reveal. It wasn't. Which gives a little credence to the theory that the game just wasn't ready. The part about purposefully showing a less than stellar demo of the game is obviously fantasy land material, but I think the game would have been delayed regardless.

The Office Reaction GIF

I think it's a certainty the game just was not ready full stop. You said it clear as day, they didn't show multiplayer at all, no ViDocs, no beta etc. They didn't show anything of variance e.g. enviornments, game modes etc. I'm expecting a hell of a lot out of 343 and Halo come this E3. So many years of no Halo, games with no story continuatity to carry a so called "saga" or the next 10 years. Time for the game, enough fucking about.

fatmarco

I just don't see it being possible to be impressive unless they've dropped the Xbox One performance target to 720p 30fps and the One X to 1080-1440p 30fps, and just left the idea of 60 fps to next gen systems.

I think it will look pretty adequate, but now the expectations are probably going to be through the roof which will probably lead to disappoint for some people.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Why would it not like it could be fixed the best case is polish the game play. I just want them to get the game out and start firing people to start rebuilding the studio. The current leadership failed and don't deserve any more chances.
I think that process began after last E3. Hopefully Joe Staten can bring the magic back to the Halo franchise as the new Campaign Project Lead and Creativity Lead for Halo Infinite. He has done an excellent job in the past at launching Halo games at past E3 events, so hopefully he can do the same for Infinite.

Kumomeme

doubt they could make tremendous differences in short time especially to cover very high expectation. but it should look better than before. it should.

Last edited:
I did think the game looked incredibly underwhelming, visual wise, but if the game had a super high framerate and played like classic Halo...I don't see where the issue would be? Massive multiplayer battles, solid single player experience. When I saw the reveal trailer I totally got the impression that the visual style was deliberate because it was going to feel like the OG Halo.

People get way too hung up on graphics.
Naturally... peopel don;t pay $500 for new hardware for game that look completel last gen as flagship title

Top Bottom