• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prediction Thread - What will PlayStation as a whole be like by the end of this gen?

vivftp

SIE has already undergone a massive change since Jim Ryan took over in 2019 with things like:

- PlayStation productions (10+ projects)
- Live service expansion (10+ projects)
- More acquisitions than ever before for SIE + mass studio expansion
- A large indie push with Shu at the helm
- Premium subscription offerings by merging Plus and Now
- Expanding to PC/Mobile

So all of that's happened in the last 3.5 years and the PlayStation of today looks very different from the PlayStation of just a few years ago. With that said, what do you think PlayStation as a whole will look like by the end of the gen? Let's say that the gen goes up until 2028, so another 6 years from now. What new initiatives or changes to existing initiatives do you think they'll have by then? How else do you think they'll expand their studios and game offerings?

Let your imagination go wild. Day at date console/PC releases? First party games day 1 release on PS+? A particular acquisition you think will happen? Predict away.

I'll start with a small list:

1) PS5 will end the gen at 140+ million units sold
2) Sony will acquire a publisher, likely Square Enix
3) Sony will have PSN integrated with PC in some way to allow trophies and create a more seamless experience between console and PC. I MIGHT go as far as predicting they'll have their own PC store front, either by creating it themselves or buying an existing one and rebranding it
4) PS3 emulation will finally be a thing on the PS5
5) At least one of SIE's live services games will strike it VERY big with a console/PC/mobile launch. Larger than Apex or Genshin, but not on the level of something like Fortnite.

6) A PS5 will be built into every single Sony/Honda EV that is built

Where the rest of the industry is heading. As much as they’d like to keep the industry traditional you can’t stop progress only slow it.

1. Ps5 games day one on PC

2. 6 month to go to ps+ then eventually day one

3. 110ish million sold. Japan no longer has an interest.

4. Ps+ and gamepass will be on the competitions platform

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
TLOU 3 releases and is another end of gen masterpiece. Shitting on everything else and raising the standards for the entire medium yet again. Neil Bigcockmann is heralded as the best Director in the industry.

120 million PS5s sold.

No live shows for the rest of the gen. Blog posts, tweets and state of plays only. Sprinkled with a little Game Awards appearences.

They don't buy a publisher, they continue buying devs that fit. (Bungie, Insomniac, etc)

They pay big for 3rd party exclusives and content.

COD going xbox exclusive isnt nearly as big of a hit we thought it would be.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Will remain the alpha of gaming since 1995.

alpha GIF

kyliethicc

TLOU 3 releases and is another end of gen masterpiece. Shitting on everything else and raising the standards for the entire medium yet again. Neil Bigcockmann is heralded as the best Director in the industry.

120 million PS5s sold.

No live shows for the rest of the gen. Blog posts, tweets and state of plays only. Sprinkled with a little Game Awards appearences.

They don't buy a publisher, they continue buying devs that fit. (Bungie, Insomniac, etc)

COD going xbox exclusive isnt nearly as big of a hit we thought it would be.
yeah something like this more or less

Beechos

Just like its how now with record profits and continued expansion into pc and live service games. People will continue to hate jim ryan for not sticking to the tradional outdated way of doing things.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
- Day and Date releases with PC

- The Last of Us spin off Mobile game in the works

- Resistance and Killzone return

- Sony releases wireless mouse for PC.

vivftp

- Day and Date releases with PC

- The Last of Us spin off Mobile game in the works

- Resistance and Killzone return

- Sony releases wireless mouse for PC.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the TLOU MP game we're likely getting next year also has a mobile variant, in addition to PC and console.

Where the rest of the industry is heading. As much as they’d like to keep the industry traditional you can’t stop progress only slow it.

1. Ps5 games day one on PC

2. 6 month to go to ps+ then eventually day one

3. 110ish million sold. Japan no longer has an interest.

4. Ps+ and gamepass will be on the competitions platform

Only 110 million PS5's? Sony definitely seems to believe it'll perform better than the PS4, which sits at around 117 million right now. It hit 10 million faster than the PS4 did, and is only behind now because the pandemic kneecapped the PS5 for about a year. Sony says it should once again surpass the PS4 sales curve next fiscal year, so I get the feeling that they're aiming for the PS5 to end its life ahead of the PS4, and I think the crazy market demand for 'em might support that. That's why I'm thinking 140+ million might not be so crazy, especially if this is a longer gen that goes 8 years and if they introduce another Pro model console.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the TLOU MP game we're likely getting next year also has a mobile variant, in addition to PC and console.

Only 110 million PS5's? Sony definitely seems to believe it'll perform better than the PS4, which sits at around 117 million right now. It hit 10 million faster than the PS4 did, and is only behind now because the pandemic kneecapped the PS5 for about a year. Sony says it should once again surpass the PS4 sales curve next fiscal year, so I get the feeling that they're aiming for the PS5 to end its life ahead of the PS4, and I think the crazy market demand for 'em might support that. That's why I'm thinking 140+ million might not be so crazy, especially if this is a longer gen that goes 8 years and if they introduce another Pro model console.
More competition and turning away Japan will have impact imo. I don’t see how it does better than PS4 personally.

vivftp

More competition and turning away Japan will have impact imo. I don’t see how it does better than PS4 personally.
I think the whole concept of "turning away from Japan" won't wind up with it not being as big a deal as internet forums believe, in the long run. They'll have a good chunk of content to try and entice the Japanese market with exclusives like FF7 Rebirth, FF16, Forspoken and Rise of the Ronin. We also have the possibilities of new exclusive games from Kojima and From Software. Then there'll be titles like Ghost of Tsushima 2 which should do quite well in Japan given how the first game did. Plus for all we know they could either open up a new studio in Japan or acquire additional Japanese devs to increase their footprint.

The PS5 did manage to hit a million units faster than the PS4 in Japan, but of course that was likely aided by the overall supply shortages causing units to be shipped out of country. Next year will be a good test of how things will shape up for them in Japan IMO, since supply will be abundant worldwide, and there'll be plenty of notable games.

I think the PS4 sold what, about 10 million units in Japan? Even if we remove Japan from the equation I think the PS5's overall popularity worldwide is higher than the PS4's was, so that should help push it to achieve higher numbers.

PS5 will by the end of the gen have delivered some mindblowing SP, MP and VR titles that end up being generation-defining.

PSVR2 will be successful enough to really open up the VR market to new gamers, but won't sell gangbusters.

At least one mainstream news outlet will make an article about violence in gaming combined with the extreme realism that PS5-exclusive graphical prowess delivers.

Sony will buy Square Enix and position them as the new PS Japan studios. The acquisition and internal collaboration with Sony's other internal studios will lead to some pretty excellent JRPGs that do excellent numbers internationally and provide a big resurgence in popularity for PS5 in Japan (not beating Switch, but doing respectable numbers).

Capcom will launch a game on PS5 and XBSX/S that will be my personal GOTG.

I think the whole concept of "turning away from Japan" won't wind up with it not being as big a deal as internet forums believe, in the long run. They'll have a good chunk of content to try and entice the Japanese market with exclusives like FF7 Rebirth, FF16, Forspoken and Rise of the Ronin. We also have the possibilities of new exclusive games from Kojima and From Software. Then there'll be titles like Ghost of Tsushima 2 which should do quite well in Japan given how the first game did. Plus for all we know they could either open up a new studio in Japan or acquire additional Japanese devs to increase their footprint.

The PS5 did manage to hit a million units faster than the PS4 in Japan, but of course that was likely aided by the overall supply shortages causing units to be shipped out of country. Next year will be a good test of how things will shape up for them in Japan IMO, since supply will be abundant worldwide, and there'll be plenty of notable games.

I think the PS4 sold what, about 10 million units in Japan? Even if we remove Japan from the equation I think the PS5's overall popularity worldwide is higher than the PS4's was, so that should help push it to achieve higher numbers.
You’re listing reasons as to why they become more and more appealing in the west not Japan raising the price of the PS5. Cancelling Japan studios. Doing more to appeal to western cultures. And when the P4 launched Wii U was a failure now with the switch there’s less incentive for that market to buy. I think the OS5 will do well but you don’t out sell your predecessor with more competition , higher inflation and losing a key market.

vivftp

You’re listing reasons as to why they become more and more appealing in the west not Japan raising the price of the PS5. Cancelling Japan studios. Doing more to appeal to western cultures. And when the P4 launched Wii U was a failure now with the switch there’s less incentive for that market to buy. I think the OS5 will do well but you don’t out sell your predecessor with more competition , higher inflation and losing a key market.

I'm not aware of any actual evidence that the price increase has changed anything for the PS5 sales so far, either in Japan or elsewhere. There were some vocal folks online, and that's about it. Do you have any evidence to suggest the price increase has really changed anything?

Japan Studio was dying a slow death for years, it just finally got put out of its misery after multiple attempts to fix it failed.

I listed console exclusive games that have an appeal in Japan that will only be playable on PS5. That will generate numbers and push consoles. We just have to see how much.

Top Bottom