• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predicting Microsoft's next acquisition

HoofHearted

Why do you guys cheerlead for studio acquisitions?

Buying up studios for the sole purpose of reducing content available on the competitor's platform is a garbage strategy and borderline anti-consumer. When the content would come to your platform regardless of the purchase or not, you're not actually adding anything to the gaming medium, but instead tying up investment dollars in forcing multiplatform content to become exclusive, instead of using those funds to expand your existing studios or create new studios or bring up smaller indie devs to make new blockbuster games.

You should be protesting against this shit, instead of fantasising over it.

onesvenus

Buying up studios for the sole purpose of reducing content available on the competitor's platform is a garbage strategy and borderline anti-consumer. When the content would come to your platform regardless of the purchase or not, you're not actually adding anything to the gaming medium, but instead tying up investment dollars in forcing multiplatform content to become exclusive, instead of using those funds to expand your existing studios or create new studios or bring up smaller indie devs to make new blockbuster games.

But that's the same that happens with non-timed 3rd party exclusives, isn't it? I don't see a lot of people critizing Project Athia, FFV7R or Stray for example. Neither of those games had Sony's funding the development as far as we know.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Megaton choices that would nuke the industry and cause fanboys to Reeeee! for years: Capcom, Sega Sammy, Bandai Namco Holdings, Konami, Koei Tecmo

Smaller options: Falcom, Inti Creates, Kojipro, ArtPlay, Media.Vision.

Wildcard planetary nuclear shit explosion: Xbox is spun off to merge with a new public Valve, owned by Gaben and Microsoft.

jakinov

Konami, Sega and Remedy are probably too expensive especially for what you are getting. Remedy is trying to do something interesting though so if you believe in them it might be rewarding. Remedy is growing fast though and their owners really believe they can grow more so I doubt they’ll sell, unless Microsoft offers above the market value so then we’re looking at over $1 billion just for Remedy.

if they were going to acquire someone big, I think it should be square or capcom. Everyone else is too expensive or you don’t get a lot out of it.

E3 is less than two weeks and that is usually when MS announces acquisitions. I'm going with a reveal of Flight Simulator release date trailer. Then Phil will announce MS has bought Asobo.

I dunno, I think Microsoft is done with big purchases. Maybe some small studios here and there. But that Bethesda purchase was a whopper. That's a lot of studios to manage. They need to be careful they don't overextend.

Not all purchases are bad Brian fargo would of retired after Wasteland 3 if Microsoft had not acquired his studio. He got sick of spending most of his time raising money and worrying about payroll. He can now spend his time creating games which he loves. More western rpgs which is a win for all gamers. Until the zenimax deal most of the studios Microsoft purchased had financial issues.

It only makes sense if a studio is at risk of going under or like Insomniac the studios primarily makes exclusive games anyway.

Anything outside of that is shit and should be universally derided.

Wut?

But that's the same that happens with non-timed 3rd party exclusives, isn't it?

Yes. I'm not arguing otherwise. But at least in those cases, there's an opportunity for future games/sequels from that studio to go MP.

In the case of a studio purchase, the studio makes exclusive games until they're not considered to be worthwhile anymore and then get gutted.

I don't see a lot of people critizing Project Athia, FFV7R or Stray for example. Neither of those games had Sony's funding the development as far as we know.

This is a silly whataboutism. Neither case is ideal and none of us should be cheerleading for these types of deals.

E3 is less than two weeks and that is usually when MS announces acquisitions. I'm going with a reveal of Flight Simulator release date trailer. Then Phil will announce MS has bought Asobo.
Not a bad idea to be honest. Microsoft should work on more simulators because it is an underrated market imo

Kokoloko85

I thought they would go for something like Warner but that just got bought by Amazon.
Maybe Ubisoft?

MS couldnt really make any of there new IP’s that successful this last 10+ years. So its the only way they can stay in the game, to buy IP’s they had nothing to do with building.
They are are like the super rich soccer/football team that buys all the best players lol

quest

Not Banned from OT
I thought they would go for something like Warner but that just got bought by Amazon.
Maybe Ubisoft?

MS couldnt really make any of there new IP’s that successful this last 10+ years. So its the only way they can stay in the game, to buy IP’s they had nothing to do with building.
They are are like the super rich soccer/football team that buys all the best players lol
You mean like sucker punch, insomniac and naughty dog. You know the studios who launched the biggest games in the last 12 months for Sony. Just because Sony did it years earlier doesn't mean they never did lol.

Bridges

They're sleeping on moon studio
Moon Studio has stated they want to remain entirely independent for the foreseeable future. I guarantee you if they were at all open to an acquisition it would've already happened. They're too talented to pass up, and their last two games were two of the best MS games of the whole last gen, I'm sure they've at least been approached.

Kokoloko85

You mean like sucker punch, insomniac and naughty dog. You know the studios who launched the biggest games in the last 12 months for Sony. Just because Sony did it years earlier doesn't mean they never did lol.

Well lets look at the difference as alot of you guys cant understand the difference And it really is different.

Naughty dog: Created games like Crash, Jak and Daxter and Uncharted exclusively for the Playstation since PS1, by Sony Funds.

Same with Spyro and Ratchet and Clank with Insomniac since the PS2 and Spiderman and Resistance On the PS3 and PS4.

Sony has been publishing Sucker Punch games since 2002 with there first major game in Sly.

Now Bethesda and Zenimax.
Games like Fallout, ElderScrools, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, have never been exclusive or established, paid for or made popular by Microsoft.
Infact most these franchises were made before MS was even in the Console business.

Tango games like Evil Within, Arkane Games like dishonoured Were never exclusive to MS.

Does this sound the same?
You mean a studio like Ninja Theory who again use to make exclusives and timed Exclusives for Playstation and never for Xbox but MS bought them too?

MS buying Zenimax/Bethesda is more comparible to Nintendo and Playstation buying a publisher like Square, EA, Capcom or Konami. They are publishers with already established IP‘s that havent particulary been made popular and have been established without Sony or NIntendo money.

I really don’t undertsand how some of you guys dont understand the difference.

MS never was involved with Bethesda in establishing those IP. Whereas all of Naughty dog games have been exclusive to Playstation...

I think they'll buy take 2, EA, ubisoft, Activision, Sega, square enix, capcom, from software and CD projekt red. Microsoft are going to kill sony.

Zeroing

Banned
MS will buy all the souls from the xbox fanboys! If you want yours you will have to rent it.

Joking. I think people are not being serious on this thread... right ?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Well lets look at the difference as alot of you guys cant understand the difference And it really is different.

Naughty dog: Created games like Crash, Jak and Daxter and Uncharted exclusively for the Playstation since PS1, by Sony Funds.

Same with Spyro and Ratchet and Clank with Insomniac since the PS2 and Spiderman and Resistance On the PS3 and PS4.

Sony has been publishing Sucker Punch games since 2002 with there first major game in Sly.

Games like Fallout, ElderScrools, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, have never been exclusive or established, paid for or made popular by Microsoft.
Infact most these franchises were made before MS was even in the Console business.

Tango games like Evil Within, Arkane Games like dishonoured Were never exclusive to MS.

You mean a studio like Ninja Theory who again use to make exclusives and timed Exclusives for Playstation and never for Xbox but MS bought them too?

MS buying Zenimax/Bethesda is more comparible to Nintendo and Playstation buying a publisher like Square, EA, Capcom or Konami. They are publishers with already established IP‘s that havent particulary been made popular and have been established without Sony or NIntendo money.

MS never was involved with Bethesda in establishing those IP. Whereas all of Naughty dog games have been exclusive to Playstation...

Sony could of stepped up to the plate with ninja theory, Obsidian entertainment or inXile but didn't want to deal with with financially challenged studios. Zenimax thank jimbo Ryan was Microsoft supposed to sit back and let Sony money hat every Zenimax game? Also Google was sniffing around the owners wanted out it wasn't making enough money. Be happy it was Microsoft and not Google or Amazon. You can still get those games on the PC.

Sorry to break it to you but Microsoft's “war chest” is firmly targeted at other sectors. I would be shocked if they did another Zenimax level gaming acquisition.

Microsoft is currently flying under the radar a little with antitrust enforcement paying more attention to Apple, Google and Amazon right now and are looking at targets in sectors where normally they’d come under more scrutiny than gaming. MS can make a gaming acquisition any time, as they’re not the dominant company.

They just spent $19 billion on Nuance, a health AI company, and have been looking at Discord, Pinterest and, of course, Tiktok. This is more like their other recent big acquisitions like LinkedIn and Githhub.

Tiktok is such a waste of money to spend on; literally just commercialized Vines, its bubble will pop like so many of these other social media things. Discord went public recently so that's a no, I don't see a point in Pinterest, either.

I think it would be smarter of Microsoft to do more investments and investment partnerships into some of these companies rather than outright buy them, especially if they're companies operating in a volatile field. Same can be said for future gaming acquisitions; chill on those for a bit and just invest in a few studios to help them grow independently, or fund some platform exclusives for the ecosystem like they did back in the day with SEGA for example. No one would be able to complain about a move from them in a 3P game being exclusive if they helped foot the bill for the game outright, like Nintendo did with Bayonetta 3.

And then maybe some years in the future if those companies are in a market to sell, hey you've already built up a lot of rapport with them with years of investments and partnerships, they sell to you and that's that. But for the time being, outside of maybe a couple WB Games studios I think Microsoft might be cooling off a bit on massive acquisitions, with things across the world starting to return to some normalcy. There's even a chance nothing happens with WB Games but I can see them investing in development of a specific game or two with those studios to make an ecosystem exclusive, like a DC game or new Killer Instinct.

Console-wise Bethesda games are more strongly associated with the Xbox brand. Morrowind was an OG Xbox exclusive, never got a PS2 port. Microsoft actually invested in Bethesda back in the early 2000s when they needed money; thanks to that investment Bethesda were able to establish Zenimax. Skyrim console-wise is mostly associated with Xbox and the 360 version was unquestionably the superior one out of the two.

Ultimately this is a lot of semantics and reaching on your part; it's not like Microsoft hasn't invested and grown gaming studios internally, and ultimately this is a business. These companies don't hinge who buys them or not on the type of things you're trying to prioritize as making investments worthwhile or "right" (as if a company actively looking to be purchased, actually getting purchased, is an ethical violation).

Last edited:
got talent bellydance GIF by Romania's Got Talent's Got Talent

Hey at least it's better than this thread
Dead or alive 7 looks like a banger.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I don't recall seeing you protest against all the timed and full exclusive 3rd party games Sony has moneyhatted.

For Xbox acquisitions I'd love to see Xbox get Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics. Sony can keep the rest of Squeenix since I think they've already moneyhatted most of their games. Additionally as someone already said Xbox needs to acquire Asobo, I'm surprised they haven't already.

I’d love them to buy Sega, From Software, and Kojima.

Sega - only because I want Persona on Xbox
From Software - xbox only souls-like games
Kojima - just for the meltdown and “traitor” posts on here.

The only reason I own a PlayStation is to keep playing Persona 5 + Bloodborne. If MS can buy Sega + From then I won’t have any reason to ever buy a PlayStation again.

Varteras

Gold Member

Sony could of stepped up to the plate with ninja theory, Obsidian entertainment or inXile but didn't want to deal with with financially challenged studios. Zenimax thank jimbo Ryan was Microsoft supposed to sit back and let Sony money hat every Zenimax game? Also Google was sniffing around the owners wanted out it wasn't making enough money. Be happy it was Microsoft and not Google or Amazon. You can still get those games on the PC.
You both have valid points. It's true that the studios Sony has bought were ones that were pretty much already making games exclusively for them anyways. Only a few exceptions. Nintendo and Xbox fans really weren't missing out on those studios being purchased. There were no long running franchises suddenly not on their platforms anymore because of the acquisitions.

On the flip side, Zenimax wanted to be bought. It was having a tough time financially. The owners wanted to cash out and they had a number of offers. Microsoft and Zenimax actually did have a good relationship. They worked closely together before. One way or another someone would have bought them and no matter who it was it was going to suck for someone. It's not like Zenimax would have been safe being bought by Activision or Ubisoft. Assuming that was even on the table. They would have fucked that up like so many other things they've touched.

Like I've said before. When it comes to exclusivity, no one has a right to complain. Every fanbase has both enjoyed the benefits or suffered the results of exclusivity. Every company has engaged in it to one degree or another.

Kokoloko85

Tiktok is such a waste of money to spend on; literally just commercialized Vines, its bubble will pop like so many of these other social media things. Discord went public recently so that's a no, I don't see a point in Pinterest, either.

I think it would be smarter of Microsoft to do more investments and investment partnerships into some of these companies rather than outright buy them, especially if they're companies operating in a volatile field. Same can be said for future gaming acquisitions; chill on those for a bit and just invest in a few studios to help them grow independently, or fund some platform exclusives for the ecosystem like they did back in the day with SEGA for example. No one would be able to complain about a move from them in a 3P game being exclusive if they helped foot the bill for the game outright, like Nintendo did with Bayonetta 3.

And then maybe some years in the future if those companies are in a market to sell, hey you've already built up a lot of rapport with them with years of investments and partnerships, they sell to you and that's that. But for the time being, outside of maybe a couple WB Games studios I think Microsoft might be cooling off a bit on massive acquisitions, with things across the world starting to return to some normalcy. There's even a chance nothing happens with WB Games but I can see them investing in development of a specific game or two with those studios to make an ecosystem exclusive, like a DC game or new Killer Instinct.

Console-wise Bethesda games are more strongly associated with the Xbox brand. Morrowind was an OG Xbox exclusive, never got a PS2 port. Microsoft actually invested in Bethesda back in the early 2000s when they needed money; thanks to that investment Bethesda were able to establish Zenimax. Skyrim console-wise is mostly associated with Xbox and the 360 version was unquestionably the superior one out of the two.

Ultimately this is a lot of semantics and reaching on your part; it's not like Microsoft hasn't invested and grown gaming studios internally, and ultimately this is a business. These companies don't hinge who buys them or not on the type of things you're trying to prioritize as making investments worthwhile or "right" (as if a company actively looking to be purchased, actually getting purchased, is an ethical violation).

I never said MS hasnt grown there own studios, they have and they done a good job of it. Apart from giving there main franchise to a team like 343 studios.

I just said buying Zenimax/Bethesda is nothing like Sony buying Insomniac and having Naughty dog.

My point is Playstation established these games. MS did not make, or have anything to do with Fallout, Doom, Quake or Elder Scrolls. Dishonoured or Evil Within.

If anyone is reaching its you by saying Console wise bethesda gamers are strongly associated with Xbox brand when 9/10 games were on both consoles. Final Fantasy, Yakuza, and Persona are strongly associated with Playstaion but if Sony Bought Square or Sega it would be like MS buying
Bethesda, not Insomniac.

Skyrim was the superior version on 360 and Fallout 4 sold better on the PS4, there still not Xbox exclusive Or made by MS. MS went and bought a bunch of IP’s a great business move but its not like establishing your own. Not that it matters Anyway.

Your right it makes no difference like you said, companies dont hinge on that. Im just saying anyone who say its the same as Naughty Dog being with Playstation is wrong.

If Nintendo went and bought Namco, its no1‘s business and would be a great move but its not the same as Nintendo‘s homegrown studios. Even though Nintendo has stock and ownership in Namco, they are buying a bunch of IP’s that they had nothing to do with. Whereas if Nintendo buy Grezzo, its kinda a homegrown studio Like how Naughty dog and Insomniac are to Playstation.

At the end it doesnt matter, MS done a good business move

Kokoloko85

Im not saying it was a bad move or Sony shouldnt have done the same. Im just saying its not the same as Sony owning Naughty Dog or buying Insomniac. Its a way bigger moneyhat lol. Probably the biggest in the industry ever.

TBH apart from Quake, Tango studios games I dont really care about those IP’s. Ive never bought a Fallout or Elder scrolls games, tried them but not my thing..
Even though the Rumoured Vampire Arkane game sounds like a match made in heaven. Ninja Theory games on the other hand are my style of games

Shambala

I’d love them to buy Sega, From Software, and Kojima.

Sega - only because I want Persona on Xbox
From Software - xbox only souls-like games
Kojima - just for the meltdown and “traitor” posts on here.

The only reason I own a PlayStation is to keep playing Persona 5 + Bloodborne. If MS can buy Sega + From then I won’t have any reason to ever buy a PlayStation again.
Oooo edgy

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Will never be possible, but holy crap it would've be funny to see all the meltdowns in here if they bought Sony.

How would the hive mind recover, how would they know if it was good or bad with their inner feelings lol.

I don't recall seeing you protest against all the timed and full exclusive 3rd party games Sony has moneyhatted.

No, but at least I don't make wanking threads fantasising over what new multi-platform games Sony/Nintendo can money-hat to remove from the libraries of other platforms.

I have to good sense to know that I'm able to play all these multiplatform games regardless. So paying for the exclusivity of them doesn't benefit me as a gamer anything.

Sorry to break it to you but Microsoft's “war chest” is firmly targeted at other sectors. I would be shocked if they did another Zenimax level gaming acquisition.

Microsoft is currently flying under the radar a little with antitrust enforcement paying more attention to Apple, Google and Amazon right now and are looking at targets in sectors where normally they’d come under more scrutiny than gaming. MS can make a gaming acquisition any time, as they’re not the dominant company.

They just spent $19 billion on Nuance, a health AI company, and have been looking at Discord, Pinterest and, of course, Tiktok. This is more like their other recent big acquisitions like LinkedIn and Githhub.
What's your point Jacky boy?

jakinov

15M for a new ip is bad?
It can be. You need to look at the context. They spent a lot of money to make this game and probably spent a lot of money advertising it; estimated to be $315M. Lets say they get around $40 back for each copy sold roughly 70% of costs, that's about $615M in revenue. If instead, they took that money and just put it in the stock market into safe investments where people expect 8% returns. Then you are looking at around ~$629M. Which pretty much the same reward for much lower risk. It's worth noting that in reality, the stock market has done really well the last 9 years. So really their $315M investment can be as high as $945M or even higher.

Tutomos

I'm playing A Plague Tale and it's the closest I've seen someone match Uncharted's formula. Asobo is really a no-brainer. They have the potential to make really great 3rd person cinematic games.

If you think the sole reason (or even a primary reason) for studio acquisitions is to not let other consumers play their games then you're too far gone in the console wars. For instance Xbox buying Bethesda gave them ownership of some massive IP, some great tech (like the id tech game engine for instance), and all the money made from any game made from those studios, not to mention it gave a massive boost to Game Pass, and allows Xbox Game Studios to collaborate and share ideas/tech with all the new Bethesda studios. The games not being on Playstation is merely an unfortunate consequence, not the primary point of doing it.

Acquisitions benefit the studio, benefit the platform holder, and benefit the consumers in that ecosystem (more time and resources makes games potentially better, more collaboration with talented first party studios, and things like Game Pass allow for smaller games like Grounded to be made, more games and better games for Xbox consumers). Cheerleading massive acquisitions like EA or Take Two isn't great imo and going forward Sega is pretty much the only massive publisher I'd be OK with Xbox buying (though not cheering it on), but pretty much every studio acquired by Sony or Microsoft in the past 5 years was either A. basically a 1st party already, or B. not in great financial shape and thus massively benefit from acquisition.

So yeah, cheering on acquisitions isn't something I agree with (especially now that Xbox has a massive 1st party studio roster), but there are plenty of studios that would benefit from being acquired, and I strongly agree with your stance that acquisitions are inherently bad for the industry.

If you think the sole reason (or even a primary reason) for studio acquisitions is to not let other consumers play their games then you're too far gone in the console wars. For instance Xbox buying Bethesda gave them ownership of some massive IP, some great tech (like the id tech game engine for instance), and all the money made from any game made from those studios, not to mention it gave a massive boost to Game Pass, and allows Xbox Game Studios to collaborate and share ideas/tech with all the new Bethesda studios. The games not being on Playstation is merely an unfortunate consequence, not the primary point of doing it.

I'm discussing the impact on we the gamers. Benefits to studios and their publishers are irrelevant to me as a gamer.

Acquisitions benefit the studio, benefit the platform holder, and benefit the consumers in that ecosystem (more time and resources makes games potentially better, more collaboration with talented first party studios, and things like Game Pass allow for smaller games like Grounded to be made, more games and better games for Xbox consumers).

They do not meaningfully benefit the consumers in that ecosystem. Neither MS, Sony nor Nintendo give appreciably more development time or resources to their in-house first-party developers. That's a fallacy. In most cases, it's less because they only project sales across a single platform, whereas multiplatform publishers knowing they can make way more money publishing across multiple platforms can routinely invest in massive 1000-person studios, like Ubisoft.

Cheerleading massive acquisitions like EA or Take Two isn't great imo and going forward Sega is pretty much the only massive publisher I'd be OK with Xbox buying (though not cheering it on), but pretty much every studio acquired by Sony or Microsoft in the past 5 years was either A. basically a 1st party already, or B. not in great financial shape and thus massively benefit from acquisition.

There is no meaningful argument that Bethesda was in dire financial shape and needed to be acquired by a first party. They weren't doing great financially, but they certainly weren't staring down bankruptcy as you're trying to paint it.

Most studios staring down bankruptcy only get to that position because there's something deeply wrong with their studio management and/dev culture that has resulted in a string of failed projects. In such cases, they're not a good target for acquisition anyway, because who wants to buy a failing studio?

Zenimax was bought because they were cheap for the value of the IP they owned, and they were looking to get bought out.

Had they not been bought by MS, they would have most likely been purchased by another gaming or non-gaming entertainment company and continued on making multiplatform games.

And this is my point. Even if there's a studio or publisher that is in dire financial shape and in need of a quick cash injection, an acquisition by a first party isn't the only choice. As long as their studios and IP have value, there are a great many gaming and non-gaming companies who would be willing to get in on the action by buying a gaming publisher.

So yeah, cheering on acquisitions isn't something I agree with (especially now that Xbox has a massive 1st party studio roster), but there are plenty of studios that would benefit from being acquired, and I strongly agree with your stance that acquisitions are inherently bad for the industry.

Even being ok with MS/Sony/Nintendo buying third party publishers is a problematic position, imo.

If as an owner of one of the abovementioned platforms, you are getting the third party games anyway, you're not being benefitted in anyway by the acquisition.

If those third party publishers need financial support, they can float more stock on the stock markets, take business loans or sell off parts or all of their company to neutral gaming/non-gaming companies who will allow them to continue to support all existing publishing platforms.

From a pure investment capital perspective, taking outside investment from non-gaming companies is by faaaaar the best option for everyone, because you're taking funds generated from outside the gaming industry and funnelling them directly into the ability/capacity to produce new games.

Being able to fund and produce new games that everyone can enjoy is the best thing for gaming and for gamers. Not taking those generated gaming revenues and using them to buy up companies that would simply continue on making the games they already do.

Top Bottom