• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predicted final sales for PS5, Xbox Series X/S and Switch?

It does if it doesn't get a price cut. PS2 kept selling because it eventually got down to $99. Look at PS3, PS4, and X1. PS3 never got below $219. PS4 tanked because it's still $299 msrp and the Pro is still $399. If the Switch 2 is $349 and the regular one is still $299 it absolutely will tank, especially if backwards compatible.
I don't see why nintendo wouldn't give it a price cut when the SW2 comes out.

Unknown?

I don't see why nintendo wouldn't give it a price cut when the SW2 comes out.
I don't see why PS4 Pro still costs the same as a PS5. PS4 would be 150M now if it was $199 or under.

Also Nintendo went with Nvidia, they are a huge reason why the OG Xbox and PS3 couldn't get super cheap, they don't like reducing their component prices no matter how old they are. So it's not going to get Wii/DS cheap for sure.

Woopah

The switch will have a price drop around the time the switch 2 comes out.
At some point yes, but PS2 got down to $99 and did a lot of it sales at the price. There's a small chance the Lite will reach that price point, I don't see any chance that the hybrid Switch models will reach that price point.

I wonder if we’ll actually ever get final numbers from Microsoft. Feel like we only really got somewhat definitive proof of sales because of the acquisition fiasco

As for the switch, theres a lot of variables which is why im sure nintendo is a bit hestitant to release new hardware. If the switch continues to be as popular as it is now after launching the new console it ends up competing with sales of the new console, if all the switch sales jump right to teh new console than it kills the switch’s legs.

The ps2 was able to continue selling so well at the detriment of the ps3. The ps3 stumbling out the gate gave incredible legs to the ps2 with the price cut, especially for people that still wanted DVD players.

Its really an either or situation. The switch and the switch successor both won’t be able to be dominant at the same time

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Switch 140M
PS5 120M
XSX/S 70M

I'm surprised no one thinks the switch will outsell the PS2. The most recent sales figure in November 2022 had it at 117M. Consoles tend to sell a lot at christmas so it's probably already over the 120M mark and it's got about 2-3 years left in the tank assuming the Switch 2 comes out late 2023 at the earliest(but more likely 2024). Compare this to the PS2 which had 105M units in 2006. Then on top of that consoles sell most late in their life cycle.
Let's say Switch is 120M after this holidays, this year will sold 16/17M IIRC (but maybe something less). Next year around 10M or less, 2024 around 5M. So I would say 135, max 140M.

There is only one way to Switch to surpass 150M and it would be stay on the market as a cheap, entry level Switch for kids like the 2DS with the 3DS. Not the Switch Lite because sales are disappointing since kids prefers the standard version, but maybe a Switch Lite with a TV Out would be percieved differently.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Switch - 250M as it will run to 2030 since MS and Sony are too cowardly to launch a portable hybrid despite all signs pointing to market being open to one.
Doug Bowser from Nintendo on March 13th - "We're entering uncharted territory with the platform. It's exciting to see that demand is still there"
(crazy, demand for a handheld.....who would have thought? And no competition, so bleed it for all it's worth!)
PS5 - 100M
XSX/S - 65M

Last edited:

gimmmick

Not sure how much Sony or Nintendo will do but I doubt Microsoft will reach 75 million. If anything, they will be the first out the gate with a new console if the sony runs away with the market share again.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
7 billion lifetime for switch.

Nintendo wants a massive user base so they start giving switch consoles away for free. Every one on the planet picks a switch up.

Nintendo decides to make all their money from game sales.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think they will all sell

stephen colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Switch will be the winner for sure at around 140m.

PS5 i don't see what is so special about it compared to PS4. We're about 2 and a half years into the generation with hardly anything to show for it. I'd guess 100-110m but probably 120-130m because for some reason people really want one. Xbox probably 70-80m.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It all Depends who is willing and able to reach $99?

Switch could sell 50 million more if they lower the price to $99.

Ms could lower the series s to $99 at some point and increase sales significantly.

Sony could release a $99 ps5 after or near ps6 launch and pull a ps2.

Out of all those I would say series s being $99 seems more likely but it would only bring Xbox sales up significantly for Xbox alone .. still below the others I would guess.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It all Depends who is willing and able to reach $99?

Switch could sell 50 million more if they lower the price to $99.

Ms could lower the series s to $99 at some point and increase sales significantly.

Sony could release a $99 ps5 after or near ps6 launch and pull a ps2.

Out of all those I would say series s being $99 seems more likely but it would only bring Xbox sales up significantly for Xbox alone .. still below the others I would guess.

This is like a joke, but image if any of the above actually decided they wanted to lose some billions just to gain market share. I mean MS was willing to buy Activision for what, 67 billion?
I mean they could give away 100 million series X machines for about 50 billion and "win" this generation........ LOL

Top Bottom