• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the lifetime sales of the Xbox Series consoles

Predict the lifetime sales

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is it too early to make this thread? Yes, but here it is.

Includes the Series S, X and potential mid-gen upgrades. Though things do get sketchier with MS as they seemingly intend to do away with generations.

Previous and current gen sales to date:

Xbox: 24 million
Xbox 360: 84+ million
Xbox One: 50 million

PS5 prediction thread

Last edited:
I don't think it will ever reach 360 numbers again. Microsoft is making it clear they don't need you buy a console, they only want you to buy gamepass. So I'm thinking maybe 65 million.

Jokerevo

Banned
61 Mill combined.

This gen will be the shortest and MS will announce that gamepass will become universal and they will stop producing hardware and instead focus on acquiring studios in order to become the Netflix of games.

Gamepass will become available on Nintendo and PlayStation and we will all live happily ever after.

The end.

NewChoppa

Banned
Somewhere between 60 and 80 million. They’ll def bring back some of the market share they lost with the Xbox One, but I don’t think it’ll quite match with their 360 sales numbers

Ten_Fold

Probably around 82m, maybe a little more. While Sony will probably hit around 100m, depending on price drops.

Andodalf

Banned
80-100 but on the lower end. If MS puts out a New "gen" instead of a mid gen refresh it'll obviously be much lower.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
70 million S sells 40 mil. There will be another one in 3 to 4 years the Series Z maybe and it will be even faster.

I'll go with 60-80. Series S and the rent-to-own will draw in some numbers. Series X will depend on what games they release on it over it's lifespan. If They can get the games flowing I think they'll see the high side of 60-80.

spons

Gold Member
No idea about Xbox sales, but I'm absolutely sure that they'll be banking on Game Pass in a couple of years. Fuck devices, just get everyone with a smartphone and/or PC on board with Ultimate.

ReBurn

Gold Member
No idea about Xbox sales, but I'm absolutely sure that they'll be banking on Game Pass in a couple of years. Fuck devices, just get everyone with a smartphone and/or PC on board with Ultimate.
I think that's the plan. Consoles are just going to be the conduit to get people onto gamepass ultimate in the living room.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
1408186-bez_tytu_u.jpg

3 billion

FunkMiller

Gold Member
40-60 million, on the low end. This is going to be a short generation, with cloud gaming becoming way more prevalent.

spons

Gold Member
You‘re not going to like the next ten years, champ.
Back in the preview xCloud worked great, even on non-"native" Android devices such as my Chromebook. It still works fine even though the stream quality could use a bump, especially the resolution for people with unlimited data plans or those on WiFi. I'm doubling down on xCloud and minutes away from purchasing the 8bitdo controller and clip to play high-end games on a shitty smartphone.

And don't forget people are willing to pay $$$ for convenience, which is about the best selling point for streaming, e.g. tap to play. You need games, which Microsoft has and Stadia doesn't. You need support on tons of platforms, which Microsoft has and PS Now does not. I can totally see cloud gaming on Game Pass succeed where others struggle.

And to stay somewhat on-topic, I think ultimately, sales of the Xbox range of devices are much less important for Microsoft than the amount of Game Pass Ultimate subs they're going to get. Obviously the 2.5 billion gamers nonsense from a while ago is bollocks, but I'm sure they'll see their gaming division as a success in a couple of years from now as the number of subs continue to increase.

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
Is it too early to make this thread? Yes, but here it is.

Includes the Series S, X and potential mid-gen upgrades. Though things do get sketchier with MS as they seemingly intend to do away with generations.

Previous and current gen sales to date:

Xbox: 24 million
Xbox 360: 84+ million
Xbox One: 50 million

PS5 prediction thread
damn xbone sold 50 mill? wow

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Back in the preview xCloud worked great, even on non-"native" Android devices such as my Chromebook. It still works fine even though the stream quality could use a bump, especially the resolution for people with unlimited data plans or those on WiFi. I'm doubling down on xCloud and minutes away from purchasing the 8bitdo controller and clip to play high-end games on a shitty smartphone.

And don't forget people are willing to pay $$$ for convenience, which is about the best selling point for streaming, e.g. tap to play. You need games, which Microsoft has and Stadia doesn't. You need support on tons of platforms, which Microsoft has and PS Now does not. I can totally see cloud gaming on Game Pass succeed where others struggle.

And to stay somewhat on-topic, I think ultimately, sales of the Xbox range of devices are much less important for Microsoft than the amount of Game Pass Ultimate subs they're going to get. Obviously the 2.5 billion gamers nonsense from a while ago is bollocks, but I'm sure they'll see their gaming division as a success in a couple of years from now as the number of subs continue to increase.

Ooh... you didn’t mention the most powerful cloud gaming company there 😋

MrS

Banned
80-100m. I do think they've closed the gap a little and that this generation will be even more fruitful for MS than the last.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I put 60-80, since MS has a two prong approach and it seems to be better than One OG. But console gaming is trending down.

This past gen
PS4 120
X1 50
Switch 70
Total around 240

Earlier gen
Wii 100
Wii U 13
PS3 85
360 85
Total around 280

I know the Wii thing was a motion fad, but even if you just look at MS/Sony, there system sales aren't really any different than past gen and gaming is supposed to be growing a lot.

It looks like the user base for consoling isn't really budging, but spending might be up due to existing gamers just doing more digital and microtrans buying.

You never know, this new gen hardware sales in totality might not even better than this past gen.

It's gonna be decent. I'll buy one eventually for sure, but can't justify the purchase right now - a lot of other people probably feel the same.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Like i have always said, 60-70mil, with a decent shot at 80mil.
PS5 will hit 100+mil.
I still think they suffer heavily from the Xbox one.
Many made the jump back then and I doubt that they are gonna return.

Stuart360

I still think they suffer heavily from the Xbox one.
Many made the jump back then and I doubt that they are gonna return.
Well thats why i said 60-70mil, XB1 sold 50mil remember, even with all the negativity surrounding it.
I see a nice little rebound with the Series consoles. I think in the second half of the gen, when all the exclusives start flowing, sales will go up considerably. Hell Elder Scrolls 6 alone will probably shift a few million consoles.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
50-60 million, tops and I don't see the Sony hitting 120 mil again. I can't see them nudging 100 mil tbh

Something is coming to upset and disrupt the industry.

Alright

Banned
Stadia 2?
Maybe, maybe. If some crazy compression tech comes along that can make online gaming via streaming viable, then yes.

I'm surprised gaming is still as popular as it is. I would have bet good money ona majority of the casuals moving on to a new fad but here we are, 10 years later

Alright

Banned
You are surprised gaming is still popular?, any reason why you thought it wouldnt be?
More the increasing popularity in certain genres and style of games.

It wasnt 20 years ago that gaming was a nerdlinger past time and usually the mass market is fickle. But here they are, making up a majority of players and a majority of profit by whaling on MTX and fortnite skins.

All bubbles burst.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm thinking Xbox Series will sell better than Xbox One did thanks to having more exclusives, a cheap alternative, and none of the really bad PR early on. But I'm not thinking it's going to sell THAT much more. I'm thinking over 60 million but less than 70 million before the next generation starts. Reasons being that the exclusives that actually entice large numbers of people will probably take until the second half of the generation to start piling up. Many people will have made their choice by then and the narrative of the generation will have already been decided. Elder Scrolls and Fallout are powerful names but they won't make up for being absent for half the generation or longer.

Series S being the cheap alternative will have some impact but it's also competing against a $300 Switch that is selling gangbusters and rumored to have a beefed up model coming. Plus, the PlayStation 5 has a $400 digital variant that is on par with the $500 Series X, just minus a disc drive. I do believe services will play a larger role in this generation but I doubt any lines will be redrawn because of them. I don't look for Sony to be complacent over PS Now and Gamepass hasn't really changed what people are playing on. Xbox will need a lot more powerful content in its lineup first.

The competition Xbox is getting right now from Nintendo and Sony is fierce and it's going to take a lot to win back the kind of mindshare they had during the Xbox 360 days. Both Nintendo and Sony are providing hardware innovations to change or improve the way we play games and how they interact with us. Microsoft has taken the "same but more" approach. There is nothing wrong with that either. It's just not as exciting. Marketing from both of them has been on point for the most part and most social media metrics have had them dominating the conversations by comparison. That being said, unlike the Xbox One, the Xbox Series will likely not experience the same slump of shame.

Microsoft is in a much better place than they were from 2012-2018, and they still sold 45 million consoles during that period. I cannot see anything less than 60 million from them this gen, and 80 million is a strong possibility. I still see Sony dominating at 100 million+, but Microsoft is bringing its A game this time and has really stepped up in all categories.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
About the same as last gen.

Give it a couple of years and they'll lose interest again, especially if XCloud doesn't show the desired uplift.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Unless cloud gaming takes off in a massive way or something, I think 80 million is the minimum. The number of developers they have now is incomparable to last gen. They won't sell more than Sony though. The Playstation brand is just too strong outside the US.

80 million isn't happening, 60M at best.

They lack EU / ASIA & would need better than 360 numbers in the USA which would be absolutely insane & current data shows that it isn't happening.

I mean it's Maths.

Top Bottom