• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the future of gaming 3 generations from now

Marty-McFly

Banned
- All of the big publishers will have their own streaming services, some may partner or collaborate with each other

- Physical hardware and software will be a thing of the past other than for the collector and retro markets, though some publishers may have innovative hardware solutions paired with their services

- Indies will be generally be a part of all the larger streaming services and some with exclusivity deals

- Only those with the strongest IP will survive

bttf-gif-3.gif

Can't do it. With the way things have been going in the world lately, either we are going to blow each other up in massive war against China, Russia, middle east, North Korea, ect, or the rapture is going to occur like some Christians say it will. Either way, seems pointless to think about amidst all this chaos these days.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Can't do it. With the way things have been going in the world lately, either we are going to blow each other up in massive war against China, Russia, middle east, North Korea, ect, or the rapture is going to occur like some Christians say it will. Either way, seems pointless to think about amidst all this chaos these days.
In this dooms day scenario, I can see Mad Max style gaming being popularised where we game against each other in our death cars in online battle or co-op modes.

Droxcy

Mobile console boxes that utilize cloud so a box with a power supply in it. Also PCs will take over we're experiencing a big shift currently but sadly no one will be able to buy PC parts due to China fucking the global supply chain and leading to WW3 :messenger_confounded:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Most people will be streaming their games, and playing using brain wave recognition, instead of buttons. The brain control system will be like the touch screen today.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Realistic cops and robbers prison game.
Personal VR with every console.
Big crazy games
Gameboy

nkarafo

Publishers will have more control over your stuff, that's for sure. Probably with streaming being the only way to play games.

Kojima Gets Preserved in a Cryo for future generations

Microsoft finally buys Sega on one of the Whedsdays.

Skyrim Gets The Ultra Legendary Super Unstoppable Edition PS8 and Xbox Series Super Ultra X.

Last edited:
Publishers will have more control over your stuff, that's for sure. Probably with streaming being the only way to play games.
Surely there will be downloads as well but physical will be dead for sure. Streaming will be pushed heavy no doubt ; maximum publisher control.

The only reason limited run and super rare games exist is because the disc/game card production lines are there for switch and PlayStation ; when the consoles no longer have physical media inputs that’s it.

- All of the big publishers will have their own streaming services, some may partner or collaborate with each other

- Physical hardware and software will be a thing of the past other than for the collector and retro markets, though some publishers may have innovative hardware solutions paired with their services

- Indies will be generally be a part of all the larger streaming services and some with exclusivity deals

- Only those with the strongest IP will survive

bttf-gif-3.gif
In your future I quit gaming.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Single player games will be viewed as niche. There will be 2 or 3 mega GAAS titles that nearly everyone plays. The makers of those three games will be the new Nintendo, Sony, MS in terms of public perception.

Bryank75

Banned
Microsoft exits the console space and due to Gamepass not hitting the numbers they expected, they buy Steam and make PC gaming their home.... continue making steam deck and updated models every few years. Are successful in that space.

Sony are the only home console left on the market, Haven becomes the new Ubisoft with all their talent moving to the new studio....
Sony buy Square and a majority stake in Kadokawa - make games fully exclusive.
In response to Microsoft buying steam, ports to PC are halted and resources redirected to making PS2/3 games playable on new consoles or doing full remakes.
PlayStation sales hit 250 to 300 million per generation at this point.
Some 1st party franchises begin to break 40-50 million in sales due to games going back to being fully exclusive.

Nintendo continues with their hybrid strategy and adds VR to the possible setups with the unit....
Nintendo merchandising continues to grow and the toy market becomes almost dominated by Nintendo based toys, lego etc.
Several films based on Nintendo IP's are made and boost their exclusive sales further.

Cloud continuously fails and is eventually abandoned or offered as a free ancillary service with subscriptions to online.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Same.

So some people just predict the industry turning to complete shit.... interesting.

The industry would fall apart of many of those things happened.
That's what people said when they were talking about eliminating physical media during the Xbox One generation.

There was intense protest at the time, but digital distribution has nigh completely taken over regardless.

Maybe some old timers will be upset about it (all of us at the time), but the new generation of gamers will be conditioned to it and just be happy to stream some games.

Full on streaming will be by far the cheapest and most economical solution for greedy publishers, so you can bank on it happening.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Virtual Reality Gaming (inside)
Augmented Reality Gaming (outside)

VR will mostly be used by elders.
AR will mostly be used by youngsters.

Bryank75

Banned
That's what people said when they were talking about eliminating physical media during the Xbox One generation.

There was intense protest at the time, but digital distribution has nigh completely taken over regardless.

Maybe some old timers will be upset about it (all of us at the time), but the new generation of gamers will be conditioned to it and just be happy to stream some games.

Full on streaming will be by far the cheapest and most economical solution for greedy publishers, so you can bank on it happening.

I simply wont game if it goes streaming... I can already use streaming if I want, anyone can.

Luna is super cheap and on every computer.

What I want is quality and ownership and I think enough people care about that to keep consoles on their current growth trajectory.

The cheapest option is mobile.... everyone has one in their pocket anyway and many games are already hitting base console quality, like Genshin Impact etc.

Consoles are a thing because people love that way of playing... if you simply stop providing that, then they are not going to move to cloud or PC, you'll simply lose tens of millions of gamers.

Will they shut down Steam and EGS due to streaming too? Simply makes no sense.

PS5 is the fastest selling console yet... and streaming had its best chance to take over due to the supply constraints and things like Cyberpunk running best at launch on streaming but nobody cared. Nobody is going to start caring if streaming becomes .5 of a second less laggy.... that is not an announcement that will make the mass market jump.

Anchovie123

So like 18 years? Oof... Thats a tough one.

AAA Games will be easier to make because games will use full pathtracing and also AI procedural generation for terrain, textures and assets. (Possibly more) cutting down half of the development time. Actually this will probably be next generation. I dont even know where to begin with 3 generations 🤔 Maybe some sort of VR Neuralink brain chip type thing. Basically VR that wont be limited by locomotion issues.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
We're living in the most peaceful time globally. Don't let the media control you ❤️

TheGrat1

Nintendo announces Breath of the Wild Full HD Edition© rendering in native 1080p on the Switch 3 for $95.

GTAV Expanded, Enhanced, and In Your Face Edition™ releases with a vr mode being its only new feature. The game will sell 800 million copies lifetime across all SKUs.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I simply wont game if it goes streaming... I can already use streaming if I want, anyone can.

Luna is super cheap and on every computer.

What I want is quality and ownership and I think enough people care about that to keep consoles on their current growth trajectory.

The cheapest option is mobile.... everyone has one in their pocket anyway and many games are already hitting base console quality, like Genshin Impact etc.

Consoles are a thing because people love that way of playing... if you simply stop providing that, then they are not going to move to cloud or PC, you'll simply lose tens of millions of gamers.

Will they shut down Steam and EGS due to streaming too? Simply makes no sense.

PS5 is the fastest selling console yet... and streaming had its best chance to take over due to the supply constraints and things like Cyberpunk running best at launch on streaming but nobody cared. Nobody is going to start caring if streaming becomes .5 of a second less laggy.... that is not an announcement that will make the mass market jump.
It all depends on when the big publisher's decide streaming is good enough to start marketing it as the de facto way to game and adopt it as the main pillar of their ecosystem. I would like to think that the gamers will ultimately decide, but it's not going to go down like that. Streaming will continue to grow just like humble beginnings of digital distribution until it's all we know. Also, I don't think PS5 is the fastest selling console at this point. I believe Switch took the launch aligned lead back because it's entering it's first launch aligned holiday season. More PR on that in the next NPD.

Bryank75

Banned
It all depends on when the big publisher's decide streaming is good enough to start marketing it as the de facto way to game and adopt it as the main pillar of their ecosystem. I would like to think that the gamers will ultimately decide, but it's not going to go down like that. Streaming will continue to grow just like humble beginnings of digital distribution until it's all we know. Also, I don't think PS5 is the fastest selling console at this point. I believe Switch took the launch aligned lead back because it's entering it's first launch aligned holiday season. More PR on that in the next NPD.

Well, would still be the fastest selling PlayStation and I personally do not consider Switch to be a home console.

Most games outside Sony 1st party, Nintendo and Rockstar along with another few are either F2P or have moved to GAAS already and if each publisher launches a streaming service, that is fine.....

Console can still be the place to have all of the games to purchase.

Maybe a handful of people are okay with just Capcom games or just Fifa but I think most want a unified platform, where they can have their friends, trophies, soon Discord too and some amazing exclusives.

Having this completely fragmented industry, where you have to jump from app to app and add friends on each service is just so stupid and inconvenient and expensive..... how could anyone think that is a good future???

Marty-McFly

Banned
Well, would still be the fastest selling PlayStation and I personally do not consider Switch to be a home console.

Most games outside Sony 1st party, Nintendo and Rockstar along with another few are either F2P or have moved to GAAS already and if each publisher launches a streaming service, that is fine.....

Console can still be the place to have all of the games to purchase.

Maybe a handful of people are okay with just Capcom games or just Fifa but I think most want a unified platform, where they can have their friends, trophies, soon Discord too and some amazing exclusives.

Having this completely fragmented industry, where you have to jump from app to app and add friends on each service is just so stupid and inconvenient and expensive..... how could anyone think that is a good future???
I don't necessarily think it's a good future, just an inevitable one. It may not be what we're used to, or what we want, but it's ultimately going to be up to publishers to decide, and what's expensive to them will overwrite our convenience, and that's R&D'ing, producing and distributing physical gaming hardware and software. Also I don't think the big publisher's are going to want split their profit margins with hardware manufacturer's when they can have their own services.

Sure, this sounds shit, but the direction gaming has taken in general has been shit for ages (save for the indie development movement). Everything is becoming marginalised and I think it's foolishly optimistic to expect that course to change. I would like to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I don't necessarily think it's a good future, just an inevitable one. It may not be what we're used to, or what we want, but it's ultimately going to be up to publishers to decide, and what's expensive to them will overwrite our convenience, and that's R&D'ing, producing and distributing physical gaming hardware and software. Also I don't think the big publisher's are going to want split their profit margins with hardware manufacturer's when they can have their own services.

Sure, this sounds shit, but the direction gaming has taken in general has been shit for ages (save for the indie development movement). Everything is becoming marginalised and I think it's foolishly optimistic to expect that course to change. I would like to be proven wrong.
Will be a disaster and would kill most of the companies.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Will be a disaster and would kill most of the companies.
It won't be seen as a disaster because it will happen so gradually. Just like how most people now don't stop to think of all the AA and even AAA publishers have been taken behind the shed and how AAA gaming has become so watered down and predictable. Only the strongest will survive, churning out massively expensive by the numbers AAA games. The show must go on (but hey, at least we have indies).

Last edited:
Top Bottom