• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict Sony lineup of PC ports for 2023

Which of these games will be released next year

• Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 50 30.1%
  • Returnal

Votes: 129 77.7%
  • Ghosts of Tsushima

Votes: 118 71.1%
  • Demons Souls

Votes: 70 42.2%
  • Last of Us Part 1

Votes: 114 68.7%
  • Last of Us Factions

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • God of War Ragnarok

Votes: 49 29.5%
  • Horizon Forbidden West

Votes: 72 43.4%
  • Dreams

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection

Votes: 64 38.6%
  • Infamous Second Son

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Shadow of the Collosus

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • The last guardian

Votes: 16 9.6%
  • Ratchet and Clank 2016

Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Ratchet and Clank Rift apart

Votes: 43 25.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

Vick

Gold Member
You kinda have to intuit their overarching strategy in the PC space. It’s one dimensional to think Sony is trying to go about it by just separating exclusives, but rather using it as a vessel to get pc players into the Sony ecosystem. Ratchet & Clank is apart of that. Another poster mentioned leaks for Ratchet & Clank coming to PC anyways. Using your same argument, is returnal not a PS5 exclusive and it has a PC build being demoed at GDC? Sony isn’t going to devalue you with their PC initiatives, it’s a process as a part of a greater strategy for customer acquisition
Are people still really believing this?

f6c.jpg

PS5 games are coming to PC, that's the new PlayStation.

Aside from maybe GaaS there will always be some time between the PC and PS releases. They simply make more money per sale on PS, so that "premium" new game day one thing will be kept to PS platforms.
I have my doubts, as I mentioned above, the entire PC port effort started with them experimenting with PC ports because they had to port Death Stranding. We went from people finding it unbelievable to where we are now where every single Sony game is expected to show up on PC.

Day one releases could follow a very similar path, if they try it and see that it doesn't negatively affect PS sale but improves PC sales they'll start doing it more and more. Simply not having to do a market push for the game twice is already a huge incentive for day one ports.

All their biggest IPs like Uncharted, God of War and Spider-Man have already had games announced for PC, all the damage (if there was any) has already being done. Day one releases are pretty much only a matter of time. TLoU Part I was already significant, the first time they announced one of this games for PS5/PC at the same time.

I think people don't realize how much harder these last two years were for Sony regarding ports, compared to how it's going to be from now on, Sony is clearly committed to it. They had to go back and port a bunch of games that were not made with PC in mind, most from studios/engines that had never shipped a PC game before. MS for example never bothered with going back an porting Halo 5 to PC yet they were fully committed to PC soon after.

Now every Sony game is being made with them knowing it will release on PC. Maybe the longer windows we were seeing were just the delay from Sony making the decision to port their games to PC and these ports actually being ready (in fact their change regarding PC ports is so recent that there is a good chance we haven't seen a single game release that started development knowing there was going to be a PC version).

Last edited:
We know Returnal is coming so all the people in denial saying it was just PS4 games can start dealing with it.

Now it's only a matter of how long the window between PS5 and PC is going to be and if there is going to be a window at all.

What happens once they start experimenting with day one release on PC and see that it doesn't affect PS sales that much? That's pretty much how the whole thing about PC ports started.
I don't think it's the sales they're worrying about, especially considering they can sell the games when they're older for $60 no problem. I think it's more about just keeping their studios rollin. Don't have them bogged down with releasing on a lot of platforms, just let nixxis get around to it later. They'll also utilize the PS5 hardware to the best of its ability without having to think about lower end graphics cards or traditional hard drives. I also think piracy on PC plays a big role. Sony's big budget single player games would be pirated all to hell. If you release day 1 on PC, they will lose more sales to piracy. It's why Rockstar won't release day 1 on PC either. But an always online GaaS MP game can go on PC day 1 without worrying about any of that. You get more players, more MTX sales, and pirating it is pointless.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the sales they're worrying about, especially considering they can sell the games when they're older for $60 no problem. I think it's more about just keeping their studios rollin. Don't have them bogged down with releasing on a lot of platforms, just let nixxis get around to it later. They'll also utilize the PS5 hardware to the best of its ability without having to think about lower end graphics cards or traditional hard drives. I also think piracy on PC plays a big role. Sony's big budget single player games would be pirated all to hell. If you release day 1 on PC, they will lose more sales to piracy. It's why Rockstar won't release day 1 on PC either. But an always online GaaS MP game can go on PC day 1 without worrying about any of that. You get more players, more MTX sales, and pirating it is pointless.
I doubt Nixxies will be handling ports of games that start being made with them knowing there will be a PC version already, Sony studios will just adapt and handle it like every other studio out there. Hopefully that frees Nixxies to do more interesting ports.

As for piracy on PC, Sony doesn't seem to care at all since they don't even try to stop it (they could easily just add Denuvo and that would significantly lessen the impact of piracy). You use R* as an example but they are more like the expectation than anything else.

Last edited:
I doubt Nixxies will be handling ports of games that start being made with them knowing there will be a PC version already, Sony studios will just adapt and handle it like every other studio out there. Hopefully that frees Nixxies to do more interesting ports.

As for piracy on PC, Sony doesn't seem to care at all since they don't even try to stop it (they could easily just add Denuvo and that would significantly lessen the impact of piracy). You use R* as an example but they are more like the expectation than anything else.
Well Sony would also be an exception so far though. I think Sony doesn't care too much about the piracy right now cause it's after the game no longer sells much on console and it still sells enough on Steam to justify the port. I don't see Sony doing day and date for single player games for PC or services cause of their "blockbuster" model they've talked about.

Well Sony would also be an exception so far though. I think Sony doesn't care too much about the piracy right now cause it's after the game no longer sells much on console and it still sells enough on Steam to justify the port. I don't see Sony doing day and date for single player games for PC or services cause of their "blockbuster" model they've talked about.
I think they'll 100% going to try it and just like everything else they tried so far it's probably going to become the norm.

In these boards the intersection between people that play on PC and people that play on console is overblown and Sony doesn't actually benefit that much on you buying their console just for a few exclusives compared to someone else buying that console instead.

Xbox did it years ago and it seems to have hardly affected the sales trajectory of their consoles.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Any reason you think that? Not arguing, just curious.
The dev team sucks at developing games. In the sense it takes forever for them to release the game.

They also very closed team, they won’t allow anyone to port the game so it doesn’t have the potential to be a bad port or performance . And I am pretty sure the team hate modding the game on pc.

I honestly could be very well wrong. But watching that development team with Sony is fascinating. It’s almost like they tell Sony what to do and when they will release the game . They have so much power and I am assuming it’s because of the head guy at that team. If they “Sony” piss him off and leave ? It’s the end of GT

Last edited:

skit_data

Feels like Returnal is a given at this point, obviously that.
Maybe Demon’s Souls (yeah, I think we’ll see Demon’s Souls before Bloodborne).
Ghost of Tsushima.
GT7.
Dreams.
TLOU P2.
Factions 2.
Yeah, that’s about it. I think Bloodborne will come at some point but I think we’ll get a heavily touched up remaster for both PS5 and PC that is more than a simple port.

The dev team sucks at developing games. In the sense it takes forever for them to release the game.
It's 100% happening, Sony is not going to pass the opportunity to have a successful multiplayer game on PC when there is an obvious market for it.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'd be ok if they finally put their uncharted trilogy and god of war classic games on Steam, I'm currently not on a position to get a PS console and want to get in PS franchises...

I think they'll 100% going to try it and just like everything else they tried so far it's probably going to become the norm.

In these boards the intersection between people that play on PC and people that play on console is overblown and Sony doesn't actually benefit that much on you buying their console just for a few exclusives compared to someone else buying that console instead.

Xbox did it years ago and it seems to have hardly affected the sales trajectory of their consoles.
It greatly impacted Xbox game sales and their overall output of games though. Some of these xbox games have to work on like 7 platforms at launch now, that's crazy. xbox one, one s, one x, series s, series x, pc, xcloud, etc. I think the idea of someone buying a playstation console just for the exclusives is overblown. I don't think many of those people actually exists. However there are people that buy games on PS5, but if they could easily pirate the game day 1 on their pc they'd just grab it. I have an aging PC with no plans to upgrade it, but I can still easily play everything that comes out. I have a 980ti and a 1080p monitor. Still runs everything under the sun pretty well. So it's not like it's only a handful of people with top of the line gaming PCs.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think it's more about just keeping their studios rollin. Don't have them bogged down with releasing on a lot of platforms, just let nixxis get around to it later. .

PS5 games are created on a PC.

There’s no bogging down, unless you’re saying Sony’s developers aren’t as capable as a Microsoft’s?

Pejo

I don't think we'll see GoW:R or Horizon Forbidden West next year, but who knows. Jimbo has those little dollar signs in his eyes, so he might accelerate the PC port timeframe.

Returnal is a lock, Dreams I believe was already discussed a long time ago. Bloodborne gets increasingly unlikely as time goes on, but I think we'll see Demon's Souls remake.

My longshot pick:

Gravity-Rush-Remastered-And-Gravity-Rush-2-PS-Store.jpg

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

They also very closed team, they won’t allow anyone to port the game so it doesn’t have the potential to be a bad port or performance . And I am pretty sure the team hate modding the game on pc.

I honestly could be very well wrong. But watching that development team with Sony is fascinating. It’s almost like they tell Sony what to do and when they will release the game . They have so much power and I am assuming it’s because of the head guy at that team. If they “Sony” piss him off and leave ? It’s the end of GT

Nvidia leak is undefeated and it was on there

There’s no bogging down, unless you’re saying Sony’s developers aren’t as capable as a Microsoft’s?
Every PS5 has the same specs. Every PS5 first party release is expected to use the dualsense, have lots of accessibility options, fully utilize their 3d audio chip, and utilizes a SSD that's faster than most gaming pc's. You can squeeze everything you can out of the console when you just concentrate on a closed system. MS isn't concentrating on a closed system to start with, even their consoles have different specs. They need to deal with multiple platforms no matter what.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Every PS5 has the same specs. Every PS5 first party release is expected to use the dualsense, have lots of accessibility options, fully utilize their 3d audio chip, and utilizes a SSD that's faster than most gaming pc's. You can squeeze everything you can out of the console when you just concentrate on a closed system. MS isn't concentrating on a closed system to start with, even their consoles have different specs. They need to deal with multiple platforms no matter what.

You can count the Sony games that don’t have ps4 versions on one hand. Dualsense works fine on PC.

I’m surprised that Sonys biggest fans are the ones who want less people to the play their games, and think their first party devs are less capable than Ubisoft, EA, etc.

You can count the Sony games that don’t have ps4 versions on one hand. Dualsense works fine on PC.

I’m surprised that Sonys biggest fans are the ones who want less people to the play their games, and think their first party devs are less capable than Ubisoft, EA, etc.
I want them to concentrate on getting the most out of the console I paid for with their releases and then later port them to PC like they're doing. So thats not "wanting less people to play their games". Sony's devs are the best and once they ditch ps4 for good they'll push the most impressive games possible on the PS5 just like they did with the PS4. It's not about capability, it's about priority.

It greatly impacted Xbox game sales and their overall output of games though. Some of these xbox games have to work on like 7 platforms at launch now, that's crazy. xbox one, one s, one x, series s, series x, pc, xcloud, etc. I think the idea of someone buying a playstation console just for the exclusives is overblown. I don't think many of those people actually exists. However there are people that buy games on PS5, but if they could easily pirate the game day 1 on their pc they'd just grab it. I have an aging PC with no plans to upgrade it, but I can still easily play everything that comes out. I have a 980ti and a 1080p monitor. Still runs everything under the sun pretty well. So it's not like it's only a handful of people with top of the line gaming PCs.
We don't know that, it's not like things were better before on the first party front for MS games, the entire Xbox One generation was terrible, even before they fully committed to PC. As for sales, the way I see that's tied to Gamepass and their change in business model more than anything else.

Personally, I also see piracy as a big issue for their ports, but Sony doesn't seem to care and that didn't stop them so far.

Last edited:
We don't know that, it's not like things were better before on the first party front for MS games, the entire Xbox One generation was terrible, even before they fully committed to PC. As for sales, the way I see that's tied to Gamepass and their change in business model more than anything else.

Personally, I also see piracy as a big issue for their ports, but Sony doesn't seem to care and that didn't stop them so far.
Piracy isn't as big of a deal after a game stops selling much on consoles. The PC steam sales makes a profit and covers the ports. It's easier to not care as much about the piracy in that circumstance. However there would be tons of piracy if their single player games were on bit torrent day 1. That would be on a whole other level and before the game made all it's money back and then some. There are a lot of factors about xbox game sales yes, but adding PC and mobile didn't exactly equate to all these games having a lot more players either.

That's not how it works at all. If that was true bad PC ports of games wouldn't be such a common thing.

But yet, if Sony puts in the effort there is no reason to think they can't handle the technical challenges of releasing their games on PC.

Piracy isn't as big of a deal after a game stops selling much on consoles. The PC steam sales makes a profit and covers the ports. It's easier to not care as much about the piracy in that circumstance. However there would be tons of piracy if their single player games were on bit torrent day 1. That would be on a whole other level and before the game made all it's money back and then some. There are a lot of factors about xbox game sales yes, but adding PC and mobile didn't exactly equate to all these games having a lot more players either.
Their games being pirated day one can easily be avoided by implementing Denuvo. Ultimately it's about what makes them the most money, I think it's probably releasing on PC day one but the only way to find out is for them to actually try it.

So far their ports didn't set the world on fire but they were all pretty successful despite these being ports of older games. The games that appeal more to the PC audience aren't necessarily the same ones that are the best selling in the console market.

Last edited:

Calverz

Really looking forward to factions 2. Hopefully Sony can finally deliver a good multiplayer game. Hopefully with crossplay and cross progression with pc day one.

Vick

Gold Member
Sony's devs are the best and once they ditch ps4 for good they'll push the most impressive games possible on the PS5 just like they did with the PS4.
That's assuming they would develop for PS5 not giving a single crap about future ports.. and that's rather optimistic.

Take Naughty Dog, they made TLOUII, which looked arguably better than any other game on the market with the exception of The Order: 1886 and Red Dead Redemption 2 (v1.00 at least).
You would expect their game on a next generation platform to blow your fucking mind, or be at the very least as good as UE5 tech demos running on PS5.. and yet Part I is clearly not even close.
And that's a Remake, meaning improving visuals and tech was the only reason for the project to exist. Now that wasn't cross-gen, but was announced along with a PC version.. I'm afraid that's an example of what we should expect in the future.
After all their effort to finally port their (now old and heavy) engine on PC, you can forget about them ditching it for their next game.

Wish I could be as optimistic as you about Sony first party PS5 showcases.

That's assuming they would develop for PS5 not giving a single crap about future ports.. and that's rather optimistic.

Take Naughty Dog, they made TLOUII, which looked arguably better than any other game on the market with the exception of The Order: 1886 and Red Dead Redemption 2 (v1.00 at least).
You would expect their game on a next generation platform to blow your fucking mind, or be at the very least as good as UE5 tech demos running on PS5.. and yet Part I is clearly not even close.
And that's a Remake, meaning improving visuals and tech was the only reason for the project to exist. Now that wasn't cross-gen, but was announced along with a PC version.. I'm afraid that's an example of what we should expect in the future.
After all their effort to finally port their (now old and heavy) engine on PC, you can forget about them ditching it for their next game.

Wish I could be as optimistic as you about Sony first party PS5 showcases.
I'm just going by what Sony has said and demonstrated. They obviously value their big console launches. That doesn't mean some GaaS MP games won't be day and date on PC, I think some of them will. Factions next year might be the first. But people can't seem to take that as an answer. They're the gaming revenue leader and found a way to get even more revenue from older titles that don't sell much anymore. That's it. Why even buy Nixxis if you're going to make your studios concentrate on PC ports? They literally bought a dev to deal with the PC ports.

Vick

Gold Member
I'm just going by what Sony has said and demonstrated. They obviously value their big console launches. That doesn't mean some GaaS MP games won't be day and date on PC, I think some of them will. Factions next year might be the first. But people can't seem to take that as an answer. They're the gaming revenue leader and found a way to get even more revenue from older titles that don't sell much anymore. That's it. Why even buy Nixxis if you're going to make your studios concentrate on PC ports? They literally bought a dev to deal with the PC ports.
So far what Sony demonstrated is that their first party games exclusive to PS5 don't look as good as I would have expected after witnessing the madness they achieved on PS4.

Demon's Souls aside maybe.

So far what Sony demonstrated is that their first party games exclusive to PS5 don't look as good as I would have expected after witnessing the madness they achieved on PS4.

Well they haven't concentrated on PS5 only games yet outside of Astro and Ratchet. Even if you look at the first 2 years of PS4 compared to the titles towards the end they're vastly graphically better. It'll come in time. Spiderman 2 should be current gen only so we'll see.

Vick

Gold Member
Well they haven't concentrated on PS5 only games yet outside of Astro and Ratchet. Even if you look at the first 2 years of PS4 compared to the titles towards the end they're vastly graphically better. It'll come in time. Spiderman 2 should be current gen only so we'll see.
Sorry man, I disagree. Second Son still looks insane, DriveClub has some graphical features unmatched to this day.. The Order: 1886 speaks for itself.

We'll see, i'm just not optimistic. They'll look great no doubt, but I don't see myself being mindblown.. that would require new engines which is not going to happen if they just ported their old ones to PC.

ACESHIGH

Banned

Apples to oranges comparison. Have them target 1080p 30 fps like on PS4 and they would look amazing. All the CPU and GPU power is wasted on higher resolution and framerate.

Vick

Gold Member
Apples to oranges comparison. Have them target 1080p 30 fps like on PS4 and they would look amazing. All the CPU and GPU power is wasted on higher resolution and framerate.
Yeah, and PS4 games targeting 720p and unstable framerate like on PS3 would have looked even better..

PS4 exclusives looked very obviously from a next generation despite increasing resolution and having solid framerates, and despite the console losing the Cell processor.
That's not the case this time.

What do you think would sell more on pc?

A game which franchise is new (to pc) like Returnal or Ghost of Tsuchima.
Or a sequel like Horizon or God of War.

Imagine God of War Ragnarok and Demons Souls, released on the same day. Who is number 1 on steam best sellers list.

Last edited:

Zug

The only one that could interest me, Bloodborne, will probably never get ported, because fuck Bloodborne for some reason.
*shrug*

Top Bottom