• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predicing Jimbo's Sony E3/big summer event State of Play

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They can't even make enough PS5s, why would they be able to knock it out of the park on the software side of things then?
real and true GIF

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Game Pass is in a funny position right now. The value is off the table, but people aren’t ready to accept it, just yet. It’s still a foreign way of playing games for some people.

Just like video streaming and even digital videogame purchases, the tides will turn pretty quickly now that the ball is rolling.

Edit: Apologies to everyone this triggered.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

If Sony is indeed planning a state of play I expect it to be very strong.
You don’t do a 30 min presentation for one of your big hitters then leave nothing on the table for a bigger event.

GymWolf

Not if they repeat the shitty event of last year.

Onestly i don't have much hope.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I don't think so cause their next big hitter such as GT7 and Horizon are cross gen. Unless they've got some "next-gen" content to show...
I think PS5 cross gen and XsX crossgen are different because on XBOX the XB1 and XsX versions are on the same disc meaning they mostly use the same assets but PS4 and PS5 crossgen are completely different versions on different discs. Obviously they probably still use a lot of the same assets too but they have less of an obligation to. Horizon 2 looks pretty next gen despite being crossgen so I have hope that GT7 and GoW will look pretty good.

engstra

They have the advantage of reacting/respondong to what Xbox showed. Hope to see something from GOW and first look at PSVR2.

Boss Mog

While the overall event may not have been the best, Xbox's showing was *very* strong. If you think only Forza Horizon 5 looked impressive, perhaps your taste is a tad on the limited side.

So I don't really see how it "set up Sony " in any way. Sony'll do its thing at some point, and it'll likely be just as great, but that's unrelated.

Also, lol at the "no games shown that really looked next gen" *laughs in Maverick* 😂

No offense but I don't consider Flight Simulator a game. It's a simulator.

MiguelItUp

I mean, it'd all depend on WHAT they show. Fanboys are probably already prepared to say it's better than everything else. But the reality of it, for me at least, is that it all depends on what is there. As it always should. I felt like both Microsoft and Nintendo's presentations were pretty damn good all things considered, even if I wasn't into every single thing they showed. They were both better than everything else there IMO.

Cornbread78

I'm not expecting much of anything from them for awhile. We already know the next 6-18 months of releases, so they are in no rush to announce late 2022 + 2023 stuff yet.

Dr Bass

There were good games for Xbox and Switch. Games that people want.

Sony still has room to impress people.

This is not a zero sum game.

Rolla

Banned
Playstation, If they show up with actual running on PS5 gameplay...

giphy.gif

But sadly they're not doing anything this year.

Last edited:

Fbh

They could if they have 1-2 first party things to announce, finally show GOW Ragnarok and have some solid third party showings too.

But I'd keep my expectations low. COD, a new Horizon Trailer with an early 2022 date, Gran Turismo, a few trailers of already announced third party stuff and maybe another teaser for GOW

Valt7786

While the overall event may not have been the best, Xbox's showing was *very* strong. If you think only Forza Horizon 5 looked impressive, perhaps your taste is a tad on the limited side.

So I don't really see how it "set up Sony " in any way. Sony'll do its thing at some point, and it'll likely be just as great, but that's unrelated.

Also, lol at the "no games shown that really looked next gen" *laughs in Maverick* 😂

Like, as impressive as Flight simulator can be, go back and watch that trailer and pause it whenever it shows any ground shots. Sure, the planes look amazing and from 1000's feet in the air it looks almost realistic. But as soon as you drop close enough you just realise you're flying around fucking google maps and it's low res satellite photos. There's a quick flash in that trailer where a plane flies close to a bend in the road and its just...lol.

HarryKS

This is BS because they've sold more PS5s than PS4s during their first months on the market. Demand is just a lot higher for a lot of reasons out of their control.
It's a structural issue. They can't because they can't. The environment is not propitious to the things you are expecting. Be it hardware, or software. And it's generalized across ALL supply chains.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Lackluster?

only thing I missed was a Destiny expansion trailer, rest was great.

RGB'D

Yup. Horizon Zero Dawn got more views than all the trailers shown at Xbox's E3. You can bet whatever games they bring it'll have more impact.
And it was also the only trailer shown at an event versus 1 of 30 games shown... you are comparing apples to oranges.

Absolutely! Horizon: Forbidden West gameplay looks better than anything Microsoft or Nintendo showed- and I would consider them the 4th best Sony studio right now - behind Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Insomniac. Insomniac has been killing it so far on PS5 with Miles and Ratchet. I’m sure Spider-Man 2 is going to be insane. We haven’t even seen what Naughty Dog and Santa Monica can do on PS5- but considering what they did on base PS4 is still better than anything the competition has shown- I’m sure it’ll be epic!

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Like, as impressive as Flight simulator can be, go back and watch that trailer and pause it whenever it shows any ground shots. Sure, the planes look amazing and from 1000's feet in the air it looks almost realistic. But as soon as you drop close enough you just realise you're flying around fucking google maps and it's low res satellite photos. There's a quick flash in that trailer where a plane flies close to a bend in the road and its just...lol.

You quite obviously haven't even touched MSFS on PC, and the Xbox version doesn't look that different.

It's hilarious how some desperately scramble to minimize the visual achievements of this game. Wake me up when someone else can do anything even remotely comparable.

Incidentally, EVERY game has unflattering angles, because every game makes compromises somewhere. It's a simple reality of game development and a non-argument.

Oh, and by the way, THIS is what "flying around fucking google maps" looks like. If you can't spot the differences, I can recommend a good eye doctor.

T8bW02W.jpg

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It's easy to nitpick FS2020, but when you consider that you are essentially flying pretty much anywhere on earth, a reasonable person would expect a bit of compromise. And I'd go as far as to say that your average player isn't analyzing the fidelity of the grass when playing a flight simulator. Try flying around and in between buildings in New York City or racing in canyons, it's incredibly fun.

My only nitpick about FS2020 is that I wish I could just fly around in a jet pack as I don't particularly enjoy using the planes. I really hope one gets added or modded in one day. Doesn't stop the game itself from being an incredible technological achievement.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's easy to nitpick FS2020, but when you consider that you are essentially flying pretty much anywhere on earth, a reasonable person would expect a bit of compromise. And I'd go as far as to say that your average player isn't analyzing the fidelity of the grass when playing a flight simulator. Try flying around and in between buildings in New York City or racing in canyons, it's incredibly fun.

My only nitpick about FS2020 is that I wish I could just fly around in a jet pack as I don't particularly enjoy using the planes. I really hope one gets added or modded in one day. Doesn't stop the game itself from being an incredible technological achievement.

The Solo ultralight that they released last month isn't really that different, and being an official add-on it'll be released for Xbox for sure.

Valt7786

You quite obviously haven't even touched MSFS on PC, and the Xbox version doesn't look that different.

It's hilarious how some desperately scramble to minimize the visual achievements of this game. Wake me up when someone else can do anything even remotely comparable.

Incidentally, EVERY game has unflattering angles, because every game makes compromises somewhere. It's a simple reality of game development and a non-argument.

Oh, and by the way, THIS is what "flying around fucking google maps" looks like. If you can't spot the differences, I can recommend a good eye doctor.

T8bW02W.jpg

Defensive much? I wasn't belittling it's achievement, just pointing out its flaws. Calm down. It's still technically impressive.
But THIS is what flying around google maps is.
oHWREue.png

SSfox

One of the reasons also that 3rd parties conferences were lame was also probably saving their stuff for Sony show. SE and Capcom obviously have stuffs but they know they would hit much more people by showing their stuff in Sony show, we already know that SE is working on FF16, FF7-2, DQ12 and much more with the Eidos side too, Capcom has RE4 Remake, Street Fighter 6, new game by Itsuno probably (DD2 or DMC6?), the next big Monster Hunter game after World, and much more , of course not saying all those games will be in next Sony event, but you can bet some of them will, at least the most advanced ones like FF16.

blacktout

I typed this wall-of-text up as a reply to a different thread about the (hypothetical) Sony presentation, but that thread vanishing while I was writing, so I'll just dump it here:

And so the cycle of hype and disappointment begins again.

Honestly though, if this event does happen, it'll probably be exactly like the Microsoft and Nintendo presentations: They'll show a bunch of games, and some people will go nuts, either because they're hivemind fanboys or because they haven't had their capacity for joy and wonder sucked dry by the toxic rumor mill perpetuated by status-chasing insiders and youtubers/publications desperate for clicks and engagement, but those of us who are trapped in the cynical discourse of gaming communities will be disappointed because the one or two games that we most want (usually because of perverse childhood nostalgia, like the fetishist who steals women's sandals because he remembers masturbating to his hot neighbor's feet when he was fourteen) will be no-shows and because all of the big-fucking-deal games that require the coordinated effort of hundreds of programmers over thousands of hours have been delayed by the world-altering pandemic we're only just now escaping. And, even if Sony announces something like miraculously fulfills some vain wish we've been harboring for years and years (like Metroid Dread) or dates the next game in a massive franchise for this year (like Halo Infinite), we'll pick over the trailer and bitch about the graphics or gameplay or speculate about how the game is certain to be delayed. The only way out is to swear off gaming discourse and just go into these presentations completely blind and spend your free time actually playing new games, but, fuck, I'm still here, aren't I?

Sony's three next big games are Horizon 2, Gran Turismo 7, and God of War Ragnarok. One of those games is slated for sometime this year, though no solid date has yet been given which leads me to believe a delay to early 2022 is very possible. The other two games were announced as 2021 games to sell PS5 consoles early on, but most people with common sense knew 2022 was the likely bet, though no release window is yet discernable for either and with Polyphony's track record, a delay of GT7 to 2023 isn't out of the question either.

One of the criticisms many Sony fans have hurled at Microsoft's E3 show is that they are showing games that are slated for 2022 and beyond, which is a great sin in their eyes, so if I were Sony, I wouldn't show anything that doesn't release within the next 12 month window...which means no show.

anthony2690

Banned
I just want to see the astro playroom team make a new ape escape, or a remake of 1&2 with the love and care that toys for bob put in to the spyro games. :)

Last edited:

yurinka

One of the reasons also that 3rd parties conferences were lame was also probably saving their stuff for Sony show. SE and Capcom obviously have stuffs but they know they would hit much more people by showing their stuff in Sony show, we already know that SE is working on FF16, FF7-2, DQ12 and much more with the Eidos side too, Capcom has RE4 Remake, Street Fighter 6, new game by Itsuno probably (DD2 or DMC6?), the next big Monster Hunter game after World, and much more , of course not saying all those games will be in next Sony event, but you can bet some of them will, at least the most advanced ones like FF16.
I assume FFXVI, FFVIIR2 and DQ12 weren't at E3 because they saved them for the next Sony event.

Regarding Capcom, fighting games traditionally get announced at EVO, which now is a Sony event, so I assume they will announce it there. But Capcom still has to announce the last SFV character and to release Akira and Oro before that, and had other places where they can announce it like the Capcom Cup finals or Intel World Open (SFV Tokyo Olympics tournament) finals. SF6 was leaked to be multiplatform, so maybe Sony won't push it too hard.

At least a yer ago for 2022 Capcom planned to release SF6, next Itsuno game (Dragon's Dogma 2) a new IP (different than Pragmata) and more. So unless they delayed everything, if they didn't show all this is because they are saving it for a Sony event.

Top Bottom