• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predicing Jimbo's Sony E3/big summer event State of Play

kuncol02

Banned
Can Jade Raymond do it again, CAN SHE????? (Big part of The golden age of Ubisoft)

Do you realize that she was only producer of Assassin's Creed? She is not credited with any creative role in AC and AC2. Creative Director of both was Patrice Désilets.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
God of war 2 trailer
Hzd2 delay

hopefully a spider man movie cross over dlc for miles

SSfox

Do you realize that she was only producer of Assassin's Creed? She is not credited with any creative role in AC and AC2. Creative Director of both was Patrice Désilets.
I know that's why I'm putting the "???", also producer is also a job, even tho not as important as creator obviously.

SSfox

We’re not going to leave 100M of our faithful behind etc…

Roll the PS4 games….
Hermen is just too kind, he should have gone all in with his kindness and make games to release on ps123 as well, that's actually 100+140+90 millions people left behind.

yurinka

I just updated the OP to include Death Stranding Director's Cut and to tweak some stuff since some fighting games already have been released and we got some release dates and platforms info for other games.

I don't think they're gonna have a summer show unfortunately. Sony just does things weird and different.
Geoff said that there will be a Death Stranding Director's Cut full game reveal in the coming weeks, so I expect at least a State of Play dedicated to this game. Plus fighting game related news and announcements at the EVO finals like every year.

Hermen is just too kind, he should have gone all in with his kindness and make games to release on ps123 as well, that's actually 100+140+90 millions people left behind.
They release the games on PS4 because there over 80M active PS4s every month. There should be less than 1M active PS1, PS2, PS3 combined every month, so they don't release the games on PS123.

Last edited:

Shmunter

His social conscious is beyond reproach. Good guy Hermster!

Probably will announce PS5 games will now work with DS4!!

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Only one prediction from me.

There will be no Sony event this summer, they're gonna stay as cryptic as fuck and spread out these shadow drops as thinly as they can.

Why am I saying this despite reliable PS leaker Navtra stating there will be an event within the next few weeks? Cause I'm a pessimistic fucker.

Feel free to make my day Jimbo.

Last edited:

Duchess

Something I realised the other day is that now with Starfield*, Elder Scrolls**, and Fallout** leaving the PlayStation, there's a void that can be filled by other devs. Could be seeing some interesting games coming to the PS5 in the next few years as a result.

* - Hmm.
** - Not yet confirmed?

kyliethicc

7LrjOg6.gif

yurinka

After working in AC1, AC2 and AC Bloodlines as producer/executive producer, Jade Raymond continued doing the same in Splinter Cell Blacklist, Watchdogs or The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot and was tasked to created a lead a new studio: Ubisoft Toronto.

That studio quickly became the 2nd biggest and most successful Ubisoft studio and worked on some of the mentioned games plus many other ones like Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity and Rainbow Six Siege.

Then EA hired her and asked her to create a new studio, Motive. Studio that made Star Wars Squadrons and did help on Star Wars: Battlefront II.

The Google asked her as VP to lead the game development studios for Stadia, but Google shut down the in-house game development before they published their first game.

Then in a few months she created a new AAA independent studio with many veterans who previously worked with her and signed a 2nd party deal with Sony.

After AC1, AC2 and AC Brotherhood (2010) where he worked as creative director along many other game designers, all Désilets published is a game about apes (2019).

Even if she started her gamedev carrer as a Sony Online Entertainment, she became a producer in The Sims Online before joining Ubisoft, where she did continue as producer or executive producer, and then moved to studio director. No, she doesn't work in a creative role. She has a more important role, she is the boss of these creative guys.

Something I realised the other day is that now with Starfield*, Elder Scrolls**, and Fallout** leaving the PlayStation, there's a void that can be filled by other devs. Could be seeing some interesting games coming to the PS5 in the next few years as a result.

* - Hmm.
** - Not yet confirmed?
All the Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online stuff they announced for Xbox is also coming to PlayStation.

Both MS and Sony have a long history of games announced as exclusives that some time later, specially some time after release, turn out to be timed exclusives. And Starfield is still far away from its release, we still have to see gameplay or at least an in-game cutscene running in the console.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it happens.....

Realistic
More Horizon gameplay
God of War gameplay
GT6 gameplay
GTA5 PS5 (contractually obliged) section
FFVII pt 2 trailer
Indies section
PSVR 2 (announce back compat with PSVR games, show a few new games most likely inc an Astrobot one)
CoD 2021 (contractually obliged) section

Last of Us Factions gameplay (announcement that it is f2p PS4/PS5/PC all day one, beta rolling out soon)

End on a classic remake (Silent Hill or Metal Gear)

Random hopes and dreams
PS1/2/3 games backcompat brought to PS5 (and or a Killzone or Resistance remake collection)
PS Now available on phones and web
Info on SSD expansion
Announce a usable trophy listing in the UI
PSP 5G teased

I want as much as possible to be gameplay really, and limit things to only games that are releasing 2021/2

kuncol02

Banned
After working with Désilets as producer/executive producer, Jade Raymond continued doing the same in Splinter Cell Blacklist, Watchdogs or The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot and was tasked to created a lead a new studio: Ubisoft Toronto.

That studio quickly became the 2nd biggest and most successful Ubisoft studio and worked on some of the mentioned games plus many other ones like Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity and Rainbow Six Siege.

Then EA hired her to create a new studio, Motive. Studio that made Star Wars Squadrons and did help on Star Wars: Battlefront II.

The Google asked her as VP to lead the game development studios for Stadia, but Google shut down the in-house game development before they published their first game.

Then in a few months she created a new AAA independent studio with many veterans who previously worked with her and signed a 2nd party deal with Sony.

Brotherhood (2010) where he worked as creative director, all Désilets published is a game about monkeys (2019).

After working with Raymond in AC (2010) the only game published by Désilets is a games with apes on it (2019).
Motive in 5 years created whole one short arcade space flight simulator. It isn''t even that good. Especially compared with Ace Combat. Also when she left EA Motive they were basically support studio in EA and their only work was helping Dice during Battlefield 2 development.
You probably should also read Désilets story because he was fucked by Ubisoft twice and spend lots of time and money in court battling them.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This is a joke list? GG haven't even got a release date for Horizon, so no nothing from them. Spiderman 2? 😆 Years away. GOW yeah, Silent Hill who's making that? Resistance trilogy? Is that a rumor? MGS remake? This is list based on nothing.

GG have more than one team.

Spider-Man 2 could just be a teaser

Resistance trilogy has been hinted at. Insomniac have been posting random resistance tweets for a while and people are begging for a trilogy Remaster

MGS remake is rumoured to be by Bluepoint

Silent Hill. I'm very confident this is being announced soon. I'd bet my balls on it.

See. When you look at it, my list is realistic and very possible.

Resistance trilogy has been hinted at. Insomniac have been posting random resistance tweets for a while and people are begging for a trilogy Remaster

Silent Hill. I'm very confident this is being announced soon. I'd bet my balls on it.

Well I wish you well on these predictions.

yurinka

Motive in 5 years created whole one short arcade space flight simulator. It isn''t even that good. Especially compared with Ace Combat. Also when she left EA Motive they were basically support studio in EA and their only work was helping Dice during Battlefield 2 development.
You probably should also read Désilets story because he was fucked by Ubisoft twice and spend lots of time and money in court battling them.
Before making Star Wars Squadrons they did work as support studio on Battlefield game and other game I don't remember, and also did work in the canned Amy Hennig Star Wars game.

Yes, Désilets is an ass and thinks that the work of a colaborative team of hundreds of people belongs to him because he thinks he is special or something, when he isn't even the boss of that team. He sued Ubi and lost the case.

The Creative Director only leads the game designers team inside the game development team. There are also the artists and the programmers teams inside the gamedev team, plus the producers (in charge of the game development part of the game) and product/brand managers (in charge of marketing, PR and communications part of the game) above all of them. And then outside that game team there's the editorial team in the HQ that oversees and greenlights the games pitches and milestones of the production and product management game teams.

The AAA games aren't the idea of a single guy, even the game concept and pitch comes from the colaborative subset of at least more than a dozen people.

Even if many times it gets PR attention, the creative director's dick isn't the center of the universe.

GG has a second team working in a game that isn't Horizon during several years ago.

During a lot of years Insomniac released at least a game per year. So expect Spider-Man 2 to be released 2022.

Resistance are Silent Hill dead because of poor sales of quality. They are buried for a reason. Metal Gear is also dead but had good sales, so Konami may revive them in some form, and a new AAA game is too risky, but a Bluepoint remake with some Sony moneyhat is likely.

Sony seems to be working on a new game from the Destiny guys, a new game from the CoD Black Ops guys, seem to have a multiplayer shooter on the works on in Guerrilla and a multiplayer shooter in ND (TLOU2 factions). On top of that multis like Fortnite or CoD have PS as their main platform. They don't need Resistance for anything.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Pretty much guaranteed:

Horizon FW
GoW 2
GT7
Death Stranding Director's Cut
TLOU Online
GTA 5 PS5
CoD 2021
FF16
Forspoken
Ghostwire Tokyo
Deathloop
few indies

Maybe / Unlikely:

Spider-man 2
The Last of Us PS5 remake
1st party new IP
Hogwarts Legacy
Pragmata
FF7 remake Part 2
Remedy new IP
Silent Hill
Metal Gear Solid remake
Street Fighter 6
Avengers Spidey DLC
Knack 3
Dreams PS5

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
You could say that about other games as well - GoW? The story was completed after 3rd, Kratos has found his peace. TLoU? Didn't ever need a sequel at all, it was perfect as it was. And so on. As long as those sequels sell, and sell a ton, Sony will continue to make them. UC4 sold close to 20M copies now, a sequel would be a guaranteed smash hit, and Sony's best chance for a MP game with decent community (DLC/MTX). It wouldn't have to surround the characters from previous entries, it could've been a sort of a soft reboot, with different cast and their own storyline, like young Sully, more Elena, Sam even, or someone totally new, but everything kept within the same (successful) formula, gameplay, and story about treasure hunting and exploration.
Fatigue is something that is going to be different for different people, and this is a hard post for me to articulate.

In my opinion, Sony have always exceled because they don’t allow themselves to get stuck in the ‘franchise rut’ to chase profits. They aren’t scared to cut the cord early, before something passes its sell by date, which allows them to create their next fresh and interesting series. By your logic, if Killzone Shadow Fall had sold 20 million copies (I know), we may never had had Horizon Zero Dawn, which would have been a great shame. Same for Ghost of Tsushima, would that have been made if InFamous SS sold 10 million copies or would we currently be looking forward to InFamous 5 or 6?

I agree with you that the story for God of War was told after God of War 3. The following entries plummeted in sales, which suggests that other people agreed. God of War 3 sold over 5 million copies, Ghost of Sparta 1.2 million (the previous PSP entry sold 3.2 million) Ascension sold a paltry 500,000 copies. Santa Monica made a herculean effort to revamp the franchise with God of War 2018; changing the core game play, changing the player’s perspective, changing Kratos himself and shifting the focus from non-stop hack and slash to introduce a compelling narrative. This is an absolute outlier.

I can only speak for myself, but I have been hugely invested in Nate, Elena and Sully. For me, they ARE Uncharted. The chemistry between them, the dynamics – it is lightning in a bottle, unique. If ND do make a new game with Nate’s daughter as the protagonist, I believe it will be extremely difficult for them to make such a compelling story (as the original 1-4). Impossible? No, but unlikely in my opinion. And why slap the Uncharted title on the game if it’s a new host of characters? Why not start a brand new light hearted adventure series free from the lore and restraints of Uncharted? I know the answer is ‘because Uncharted has brand recognition so will sell more’ but that does nothing for me. And it wouldn’t be a one off, it’d end up being the start of a brand new trilogy which would commit ND for the next 15 years.

Some games in other genres (racing, fighting, sports, action platformer) might get away with having 5+ entries, in my opinion this is because they are light on stories therefore light on emotional investment. However with narrative driven games it is more difficult in my opinion. The first 3 Gears of War games were hugely successful; Judgement, 4 and 5 are beating a dead horse story wise. Ori is another one that should stay at two entries in my opinion, Moon have said they are satisfied with the story and it has a satisfying conclusion. And in my opinion, the worst mistake Microsoft ever made is allowing Bungie to become independent so they could go and make Destiny, whilst Microsoft continued with Halo. The right decision would have been to discontinue Halo, or put it on hiatus, after Halo 1-3 and Reach. It would have took balls, but they should have fully backed their first party studio to make Destiny and put their full weight behind it. In hindsight, I believe Microsoft would have been in a better position if they had. I suppose I’m bringing in Xbox to this because I feel that Xbox during the 360 era cut back on risks in order to chase the ‘guaranteed successes’ and in the end the ‘guaranteed successes’ weren’t guaranteed once the very fine line was crossed and they became tired franchises.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Before making Star Wars Squadrons they did work as support studio on Battlefield game and other game I don't remember, and also did work in the canned Amy Hennig Star Wars game.

Yes, Désilets is an ass and thinks that the work of a colaborative team of hundreds of people belongs to him because he thinks he is special or something, when he isn't even the boss of that team. He sued Ubi and lost the case.

The Creative Director only leads the game designers team inside the game development team. There are also the artists and the programmers teams inside the gamedev team, plus the producers (in charge of the game development part of the game) and product/brand managers (in charge of marketing, PR and communications part of the game) above all of them. And then outside that game team there's the editorial team in the HQ that oversees and greenlights the games pitches and milestones of the production and product management game teams.

The AAA games aren't the idea of a single guy, even the game concept and pitch comes from the colaborative subset of at least more than a dozen people.

Even if many times it gets PR attention, the creative director's dick isn't the center of the universe.
Except that he won in 2016.

Gediminas

Banned
I can't predict that we gonna see something big. M$ conference was shit and Sony like to respond to them and show as little as they can, so i expect pretty mediocre show.

ZywyPL

Banned
I can only speak for myself, but I have been hugely invested in Nate, Elena and Sully. For me, they ARE Uncharted. The chemistry between them, the dynamics – it is lightning in a bottle, unique. If ND do make a new game with Nate’s daughter as the protagonist, I believe it will be extremely difficult for them to make such a compelling story (as the original 1-4). Impossible? No, but unlikely in my opinion. And why slap the Uncharted title on the game if it’s a new host of characters? Why not start a brand new light hearted adventure series free from the lore and restraints of Uncharted? I know the answer is ‘because Uncharted has brand recognition so will sell more’ but that does nothing for me. And it wouldn’t be a one off, it’d end up being the start of a brand new trilogy which would commit ND for the next 15 years.

But then again, you could as well say that TLoU is also all about Ellie and Joel, the chemistry and dynamics between them, and we all know what happened in the sequel. Same gameplay formula, different cast and events. And if you think about it deeper, UC is their only game left that has guns, that's actually a proper shooter. KZ is pretty much dead, DG2 is apparently not happening, so if you throw out UC out of the window, you're really left with nothing but TPP cinematic story-driven games focused on melee combat... And there are rumors flying around that Sony wants to get back into MP business again, supposedly with even 10 of them, so what better game that UC they could start with.

Realistically it’s probably going to be lou2 factions and probably some user experience updates and maybe a confirmation that hzd2 is a late 2021 or early 2022 title

I just don’t see any of the other stuff releasing in the next 2 years if we haven’t seen footage yet…..first 2 years of any ps console are always barren

yurinka

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

I’ve played all 5 (got the platinum in 1-4).

The story is told. The characters we fell in love with have all had fulfilling and satisfying arcs.

Let it lie, don’t just sequel it to fuck. Don’t reboot it with Nate’s daughter being the lead.

ND should move on.
I think we and Sony need more mainline Uncharted games.

Nathan Drake Collection and Uncharted 4 sold a ton of millions of copies and there's a movie in the works, and who knows if even a tv series too somewhere in the future. So there's business there and as a successful company they won't be stupid so are going to milk that IP.

What I'd do for Uncharted 5: Nathan Drake is again the main character and teaches the girl on her first adventure. Sully is there and they remember and see parallelisms on how Sully did teach Nate when they were younger, some sort of Lion King circle of life stuff. They find clues of an ancient common global civilization across the world linked to UFO sightings (remember, Uncharted originally was inspired on pulp stuff) that leads them to find Atlantis in the south of Spain, where this civilization still lives in a huge underground base under the sea. They were the first humans, created by aliens as a hybrid of aliens and apes.

At the end of the game, in exchange for being the first ones to discover them after thousands of years (prophecy, 'the chosen one', etc), they allow them to use their alien space-time technology to investigate the future and the past of both the Earth and the aliens but they ask to keep it secret on exchange and to travel across the time and through different worlds to change the timeline and save the future of humankind. As a teaser that the in Uncharted 6 will feature both time travels and other planets.

Half of the game with Nate playable, 1/4 with the girl playable, 1/4 with young Sully playable. Game about 10-15 hours long like the first Uncharted games, no MP modes and no woke propaganda and tokenism bullshit seen in TLOU2 and Lost Legacy.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think we and Sony need more mainline Uncharted games.

Nathan Drake Collection and Uncharted 4 sold a ton of millions of copies and there's a movie in the works, and who knows if even a tv series too somewhere in the future. So there's business there and as a successful company they won't be stupid so are going to milk that IP.

What I'd do for Uncharted 5: Nathan Drake is again the main character and teaches the girl on her first adventure. Sully is there and they remember and see parallelisms on how Sully did teach Nate when they were younger, some sort of Lion King circle of life stuff. They find clues of an ancient common global civilization across the world linked to UFO sightings (remember, Uncharted originally was inspired on pulp stuff) that leads them to find Atlantis in the south of Spain, where this civilization still lives in a huge underground base under the sea. They were the first humans, created by aliens as a hybrid of aliens and apes.

At the end of the game, in exchange for being the first ones to discover them after thousands of years (prophecy, 'the chosen one', etc), they allow them to use their alien space-time technology to investigate the future and the past of both the Earth and the aliens but they ask to keep it secret on exchange and to travel across the time and through different worlds to change the timeline and save the future of humankind. As a teaser that the in Uncharted 6 will feature both time travels and other planets.

Half of the game with Nate playable, 1/4 with the girl playable, 1/4 with young Sully playable. Game about 10-15 hours long like the first Uncharted games, no MP modes and no woke propaganda and tokenism bullshit seen in TLOU2 and Lost Legacy.
Be careful, Vin Diesel might steal that plot for Fast 10.

OrionNebula

Even if sony’s doing something, I expect them to hold back a lot, as 2022 is getting stacked more than Pamela Anderson in her prime

-GoW
-FF16
-GTAV PS5
-All the stuff we already know about (Kena, Deathloop, etc)
-One more thing…

Maybe something ND, but I don’t feel they really even need to go there. All above should already be sufficent to easily match most of this year’s e3.
Most stores will get limited ps5’s to sell in 2021, so I expect a lot of holding back until later on this year

mejin

They need some new 1st party announcements. Basically we have 3 games coming out, God of War, Horizon and GT7. More is needed

I agree with you. Show a sneak peek of what is coming beyond the first wave is great, I was just thinking in the "WoW factor" and a gameplay God of War would already do wonders just like Horizon 2.

No but its obvious you have a preference for the other console, perfectly fine of course but the Xbox conference was very good and in no way disappointing.

Just remember the majority of the games announced in MS event will come to Playstation.

I agree with you. Show a sneak peek of what is coming beyond the first wave is great, I was just thinking in the "WoW factor" and a gameplay God of War would already do wonders just like Horizon 2.

Just remember the majority of the games announced in MS event will come to Playstation.
And? I get the games on Gamepass day one.

SSfox

Even if sony’s doing something, I expect them to hold back a lot, as 2022 is getting stacked more than Pamela Anderson in her prime

-GoW
-FF16
-GTAV PS5
-All the stuff we already know about (Kena, Deathloop, etc)
-One more thing…

Maybe something ND, but I don’t feel they really even need to go there. All above should already be sufficent to easily match most of this year’s e3.
Most stores will get limited ps5’s to sell in 2021, so I expect a lot of holding back until later on this year

0lh10xgjoh921.gif

Kokoloko85

True.

I like how they announced GOW 2018. Was a surprise along with a good chunk of gameplay. Hopefully we get some 2015/2016 like presentations.

There was plenty filler in 2015 but it hit hard with amazing announcements like Last Guardian, Horizon, FF7 remake, Shen Mue 3 and gameplay from Uncharted 4

Boss Mog

Let's face it, this E3 was pretty bad. No new hardware announcements, no new big game announcement that would get people excited, no games shown that really looked next gen except for Forza Horizon 5. Sony is rumored to have some kind of extended showing (State of Play?) towards the end of the month. I feel like they could come in and really impress with some big 1st (GoW Ragnarok) and 3rd party (FFXVI) trailers and gameplay videos, new game announcements and possibly even tease PSVR2.

MastaKiiLA

Oof! Expecting Sony to have a strong conference is setting yourself up for failure. You know it's going to be at least 50% indies, and there's going to be a bunch of talking. I'm cool with it, because I love indie games, but the watch thread will be full of bitching and moaning.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
While the overall event may not have been the best, Xbox's showing was *very* strong. If you think only Forza Horizon 5 looked impressive, perhaps your taste is a tad on the limited side.

So I don't really see how it "set up Sony " in any way. Sony'll do its thing at some point, and it'll likely be just as great, but that's unrelated.

Also, lol at the "no games shown that really looked next gen" *laughs in Maverick* 😂

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Don’t expect much. Sony’s presentations havent bene all that in the last couple of years. Last year’s apart from the PS5 annoucement were pretty awful.
Like I said, I expect a bunch of repeats like Death Loop, Stray, Kena, Little devil inside. 3rd part games, indies and maybe 1-2 new exclusive annoucements.

Hoping we get more than just Silent Hill and MGS remake announcements. As much as I want them, I want some more news and 1st party annoucements.

Kuranghi

I'd like to hear/see an update from the further out stuff, like Pragmata, but I think thats 2024 or something now so probably not.

Gameplay wise I think its going to be hard to "blow me away", graphics-wise certainly.

I think if they have another short Horizon demo showing a new form of traversal or combat, a GoW 2 cinematic scene, PSVR2 and then some cool 3rd party stuff like FFXVI it will be exciting for me personally, but I don't know if anything we already know about could really blow me away, gameplay-wise.

Unless they have a bunch of unnanounced, crazy shit I kind of know what GoW 2 will be even without seeing the gameplay, the graphics could "blow me away" but if its all crossgen then probably not. Not to say that I won't be very impressed, just not exploding in my pants.

Forza 5 has amazing graphics, some of the best I've ever seen in any game ever, but it doesn't blow me away because I can still see how its constructed, whenever I think "I don't know how they did this" BTS-wise thats when I'm blown away.

Last "game" to do that was the UE5 demo.

edit - oh shit yeah, seeing Stray + Little Devil Inside would really go a long way for me because I'm so into them. I think it will be a show of 1 or 2 wow moments and the rest will be smaller moments, depending on what the smaller moments are though it could be awesome for me personally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom