• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-ordering these consoles are out of control

I feel like you guys got lucky before. The only preorder I've ever successfully acquired with ease was the PS4. I missed out on the 360 and Switch preorders in spite of trying, and both the PS5 and Xbox Series X were obnoxious (but I did eventually get through).

Max_Po

Banned
I think it COVID and everyone is stuck in home.

Same as Xbox ... everyone is bored out of their mind and want something/anything new...

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So many people working from home perhaps?

I’ve never seen a pre-order queue system on the GAME website before this lot of pre-ordering.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
I think up to 40% of pre order stock is tied up by people scalpers and by people who have ordered 3 and 4 but only plan on keeping one. They do it to "insure they get 1".

Scalpers on the other hand can suck 1.

Sites need to change their ability to secure one by charging the person ordering immediately, put a hold for the amount on the card.

Sony were also a bag of dicks about it all.
my ability to pay rent and eat is more important than your videogames?

i can eat a dick?....i hope you choke on a bag of xbox brand doritos

Knock off the personal insults.

Thank you.

bender

What time is it?
Sure retailers online store fronts were a mess, but that's hardly Sony's issue. Getting a PS4 pre-order was a lot easier than PS2 or Wii. Sitting in front of a computer retrying broken retailer links is a lot easier than sleeping on a sidewalk in front of EBGames during the cold months.

Last edited:
The PS4 was sold out EVERYWHERE for about 6 months, well all stocks just vanished the minute they were in.

I'm fairly sure that this time around less units were built, and long day 1 lines will not be allowed in most places. Which is sad because I got the second to last unit at the place I went to get my day 1 PS4--my first and only time doing anything remotely like this, I was so hyped!

Joey.

I got my PS5 easily on Sept 16
Didn't try for an XSX

But yeah...you'd think it could be a smoother process as it seems like a lot of people were disappointed

Neofire

my ability to pay rent and eat is more important than your videogames?

i can eat a dick?....i hope you choke on a bag of xbox brand doritos
So you are banking on being able to pay your rent/eat off of screwing people out if a chance to get a ps5? FoH, even if I believed that bs that you were going to use the money for that then you need to find a better source of income.

partime

It literally takes no luck to get one. You follow the right Twitter accounts and click a button. It takes a little bit of effort I guess? But everyone thinks they deserve one with no effort, so enjoy in 2021.

What twitter accounts do you follow? Since you've already purchased yours.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I‘d also say it‘s because of Covid and people being bored out of their mind at home. I did pre-order in my local store like 3 days after the announcement and was told they can‘t promise I‘ll get one. Well, I‘m patient. May as well wait until next year. No rush.

So you are banking on being able to pay your rent/eat off of screwing people out if a chance to get a ps5? FoH, even if I believed that bs that you were going to use the money for that then you need to find a better source of income.

Another way to think of it is this. A videogame system isn't a necessity. It isnt water, shelter or food. Buying a ps5 and reselling it for profit is pure unfiltered capitalism man. There are no laws being broken, the person paying a premium for it isnt doing so with a gun to their head. You act as if people are entitled to a ps5 or something.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This is why most should wait until after launch to buy. Sony's very wise as to what they're doing and it pushes the demand for launch by limiting or making it more exclusive.

Ar¢tos

Yeah, this is why. Especially if you're in Eastern Europe. On the other hand, when you live in a big country full of people who grew up with consoles for the past 40 years... :messenger_winking:
Western Europe, and we consume playstation like it's freshly baked bread here.
xsx/XSS never sold out, but the 1st batch of ps5 was gone in 5h, the 2nd batch lasted much longer but eventually sold out.
There is no amazon or gamestop here, that's probably why there was no panic or stress like in the US, its usually supermarkets and electronics stores that sell games/consoles and 2 gaming stores (that survive only because of online business, game and gamestop closed ages ago).

Kagey K

Banned
Canada was easy. I don’t even begin to understand the stress you guys are under. I got a few extra of both (just in case) Either I sell them or I return them, no skin off my back.

I didn’t wait 15 hours either.

I only tried EB Games in NZ, they can get me a PS5 sometime in January.

oh well, not too phased, I find the industry drama more entertaining than most of the actual games these days anyhow.

Bog

Junior Ace
What twitter accounts do you follow? Since you've already purchased yours.

Just having notifications on for Wario64 and CAG that day helped. They’ve also popped up a few times since on Target and Walmart.

OutRun88

Imagine a system where long standing accounts (Xbox live/PS+) are offered a unique key for pre-ordering before the preorders open up to the public.

Yeah sure this would still come with it’s own problems, but I think it would resolve the bigger problems that occur now such as bots.

scydrex

I have the amazon app set to give me a notification if it comes in stock, if I get one at launch, great, if I have to wait until next may, oh well. I'd like one asap, but yeah I'm not stressing over it.

Yeah I'm now like this... want one for sure but if it's not possible then it's fine.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Imagine a system where long standing accounts (Xbox live/PS+) are offered a unique key for pre-ordering before the preorders open up to the public.

Yeah sure this would still come with it’s own problems, but I think it would resolve the bigger problems that occur now such as bots.
As someone who has been in MS and Sony's ecosystem for as long as I can remember (Gold since 2006 and PS+ since it was introduced) it's disappointing that they didn't go that route. Not to mention buying many of Sonys AAA games on digital Day 1. It's outright infuriating that individuals were getting invites who hadn't owned a PS console in years or just bought one. Nothing wrong with giving those most loyal a day head start on pre-ordering. They could have even tiered it for MS such that 15+ year gold members would have been first, 10+ second, 5+ third etc. Same with Sony since PS+ has only been around for 10 years.

OutRun88

As someone who has been in MS and Sony's ecosystem for as long as I can remember (Gold since 2006 and PS+ since it was introduced) it's disappointing that they didn't go that route. Not to mention buying many of Sonys AAA games on digital Day 1. It's outright infuriating that individuals were getting invites who hadn't owned a PS console in years or just bought one. Nothing wrong with giving those most loyal a day head start on pre-ordering. They could have even tiered it for MS such that 15+ year gold members would have been first, 10+ second, 5+ third etc. Same with Sony since PS+ has only been around for 10 years.
From my experience, this is how Universities handle season passes for sports. Seniors get first dibs, followed by juniors, sophomores, and finally freshmen.

It works out quite well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
From my experience, this is how Universities handle season passes for sports. Seniors get first dibs, followed by juniors, sophomores, and finally freshmen.

It works out quite well.
At A&M it was like that. And usually, everyone who wants to get into the game, gets in. They may not get the best seats, but they get in.

I don't understand people who buy consoles on launch anyway, it does not have a decent library of games, it is more expensive and you're essentially paying to beta test the consoles.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Like the title pre-ordering PS5 is a nightmare years ago you were allowed to pre-order without restrictions! I think Sony is manufacturing the demand it's not worth waiting in line and it's not worth stressing about trying to get one I'll wait and if Sony decides to get off their asses and open pre-orders up to everyone and just qué them up (which is what should be done) I'd rather wait it out until the console is available I have a Playstation 4 pro so I'm not in a desperate situation but as a life long fan of playstation I have to say Sony dropped the ball on that one. I don't know what frustrations Xbox fans are going through but the pre-ordering process just stinks

Were you around when PS2 launched in the U.S.? I was and it was madness trying to find one for many weeks post launch lol.

I don't understand people who buy consoles on launch anyway, it does not have a decent library of games, it is more expensive and you're essentially paying to beta test the consoles.

Well, with backwards compatibility it gives you a nice upgrade over the base PS4 if you skipped the Pro, while setting you up for the new gen. Also, it's not so expensive for most working people considering the entertainment value it brings and it can be returned if there's a problem. Not a big deal, really.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Electronics enthusiasts with cash don't have a problem with it and like to get their hands on new things asap.

I mostly agree with this but the consoles will be out for approx 7 years and if you are going to buy one and can afford it now why not have it for the full 7 years??

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My original plan was to play Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us part 2 on PS5, which meant I would have had those two, plus AC Valhalla, Cyberpunk and Demons Souls. Not to mention a backlog of games that would likely perform better on a PS5. I mean, what's there not to play? Those last 3 games would likely last for a while of play

Bryank75

Banned
No panic in Europe like I see in pictures from the States but there is massive demand.... saw a picture of an online retailer in the UK and this was the second allocation and he was looking at a screen of 24,000+ people waiting to pre-order at the same time as him.

40K + preorders on day 1 in one store in Poland (PS5)

35K pre-orders taken for Gamestop Ireland for PS5 alone

As I said in threads before, if they made 30-40 million PS5's I think they would have sold out.

reinking

Gold Member
I think up to 40% of pre order stock is tied up by people scalpers and by people who have ordered 3 and 4 but only plan on keeping one. They do it to "insure they get 1".
So by your logic they are hard to get but yet some people have been able to order multiple consoles. I was one of those people. I put in the work and didn't just log off of the internet when the PS5 showcase was over. I needed two PS5s (one for my house and one for my daughters Christmas) I felt like a fool for hitting F5 for almost an hour but I did what I felt I needed to do to secure them. Yes. They are hard to get and I feel bad for those that do no secure one but any hot item be hard to get going into the holidays. Especially new released tech.

Zog

Banned
There should be no pre-orders. People should be required to walk into a store and buy it on launch day and for a few weeks, retailers should not allow more than 1 per person.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So by your logic they are hard to get but yet some people have been able to order multiple consoles. I was one of those people. I put in the work and didn't just log off of the internet when the PS5 showcase was over. I needed two PS5s (one for my house and one for my daughters Christmas) I felt like a fool for hitting F5 for almost an hour but I did what I felt I needed to do to secure them. Yes. They are hard to get and I feel bad for those that do no secure one but any hot item be hard to get going into the holidays. Especially new released tech.
I do hope a lot of people ordered multiple and plan to keep only one. In theory that should mean that some will become immediately available on release day when buyers decide to keep only one.

Gamerguy84

Im not sure what your saying exactly. Yes they are hard to get, outside of day 1. Even then people had to hit F5 a million times as you say.

People have secured 3 and 4 just to get 1, I have seen many people say that. Those that have got 2 because they needed 2 is not what I was talking about. I was thinking stock will free up come time to pay because people are going to cancel a lot when they get their shipping notification.

The whole thing I wrote was that 10 percent of customers actually have 30 to 40% of stock locked up. The only people I have any ill will for are scalpers. I see some people call it capitalism but its a shit tactic to grab an item and add $300 dollars to it.

Last gen my wife surprised me with a preorder for a PS4 without knowing I had also got one. I got two of them on launch day. I took one of those and drove to gamestop and grabbed the last customer standing in line and asked if he had cash, if he didn't I would have asked the next. I sold him the PS4 on the spot for cost and tax. He wasn't going to get one in that line and knew it. Me and him are still PSN friends.

Enjoy your PS5.

Top Bottom