• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Praey for the Gods - Launch Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Praey for the Gods releases Dec 14th 2021 on PS4/PS5. PS4 versions come with a free PS5 upgrade! Climb enormous enemies in this snow filled open-world adventure game where you play a lone hero sent to the edge of a dying frozen land to explore and solve the secrets of a never-ending winter. Grapple, glide and grab hold of massive beasts as you fight to survive and return the world to proper order.

arvfab

Banned
Since I love SotC, I had this on my "watchlist" since forever.

Was really surprised to see that it was stealth-dropped on the store today.

Somebody already playing it?

bender

What time is it?
Since I love SotC, I had this on my "watchlist" since forever.

Was really surprised to see that it was stealth-dropped on the store today.

Somebody already playing it?

I'm with you. I've been excited about it for a while but then I watched this:

The survival elements kind of turned me off but they are optional.

saintjules

Damn did they really just stealth drop this? Looks like a game that deserved a bit more attention before releasing.

Shifty1897

This got a really bad review on IGN. I thought it looked pretty cool from the summer trailer.
In reading the review, it sounds like very little of the game is broken from a game design perspective, rather it's bugs, controls, and difficulty that seems to be the big drawbacks.

The good news is that most of these could probably be semi-quickly fixed in a patch. Increase stamina, decrease damage from attacks and shrink shockwave hitboxes. Increase resistance to stumbling and falling, etc. None of these are hard to do programmatically.

The one complaint at the game design that I saw was the extreme weapon durability, and yeah, if I was them, I would probably strip that out. Either that or increase the durability by 500% and introduce an XP mechanic to give a purpose to fighting lesser enemies rather than running from them.

It's a shame this game has been in development for so long and came out so weak.

4/10 IGN? It seems most places aren't even bothering reviewing it.

I'm just forgetting this exists. There's other stuff worth my time.

Great Hair

Banned
I knew after watching their first trailer, that this was going to be a turd. Sure it´s made by 5 or so, but stealing ideas from other games and making it worse, less fun ... man having to hunt rabbits, drink and what not so much fun to be had.

What is the story behind it?

Has anyone even realized how well the world in ICO2 was designed? Completely had forgotten about it, but god gamn! That world, those details when crossing over that "bridge" ... all on a 4?mb vram machine.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Praey for the Gods reviewed by Travis Northup on PlayStation 5. Also available on PC and Xbox.

Praey for the Gods falls far short of the classic monster-climbing game it so clearly draws inspiration from. The sluggish climbing and combat controls make even the standout boss fights so consistently frustrating that it's hard to enjoy the highlights. Combine that with technical issues and irritating survival mechanics, and you get an adventure that's often more trouble than it's worth.

Top Bottom