• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your Stadia setup

Derktron

Banned
137011698-seattle-wa-usa-circa-november-2019-closeup-of-a-google-stadia-gaming-controller-being-thrown-into-th.jpg

Truespeed

Most people aren't shitting on cloud gaming. It's Google they're taking a dump on.

They came out with a weird ass pricing model whereby you still need to buy the game.

Why do you need to still buy the game? You can buy the game if you want to play without a subscription. Do the others cloud gaming services offer this? I've bought a few games from Stadia and I can play them anytime and virtually anywhere I want without a subscription.

They cancelled most of the first part projects they had going.

They have a history of cancelling all their shit and have not given us any confidence this won't end up with the same fate.

I always like this comment. Name all of the paid services Google has shut down.

kingfey

Banned
I know I’m just saying that PS Now isn’t praised here even though it’s Sony’s Stadia, and more.

Also, most negativity comes from how streaming in general have an unfortunate entry barrier you really can’t do much about. Your internet connection and location can literally make even the best streaming service absolutely horrible.

I think most agree that Google’s tech is good though, and for me it’s giving me by far the best streaming quality.

But unfortunately it also have the worst games library and the least promising future. When even Google don’t believe in the service by closing the 1st party studios, why should anybody else believe in it?
It’s left to slowly die on the sidewalk at this point, outside of Google’s building, Phil Harrison step over it each day he goes to work.
They are trying to sell the service. Whoever gets it, i hope they try to improve on it.

Sony should try to acquire this product, and try to integrate with their psnow. It will make it a superior product.

Its one of the most advanced tech, that made an impossible dream come true.

You know what they say, all good products are at the hands on incompetent people, who have no clue what to do with it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Its a fix to a problem that exist now, and existed for a long time.

Gaming are becoming more widespread than ever. You need to accommodate for all these people who wants to game.

Last year, there was 3billion gamers. Consoles on last gen, released around 250m consoles, counting the current consoles. The old console owners will buy the new gen consoles.

So how do you attract the remaining gamers?

Answer is cloud gaming. All you need a is a laptop or normal pc, that isn't a gaming. Or a smart tv, like android tv. Make an app, or a browser support, and you could potentially reach 500m gamers this war.

Pc is 700m gamers according to Intel. Steam has 120m. There are places where steam isn't that big. China and Asia are huge pc players, who play games from their country.

Here is one of most popular Asian game.

There is also Asian mmo, which doesn't have English support. Phantasy online is one of them. There are tons of Chinese fps, and mmo games, which doesn't have English support.

Most mmo are Asian games, and the popular in the west are those from Asia who have English support. Bdo, blade and soul, ff14.

Most of these games aren't even on consoles.

We say COD is big. But in reality its tiny to compared to the long running franchise of pc fps. Consoles makes them sound a bigger game.

These are the people who would like to play cloud gaming. It let's them play games, which they couldn't afford to play, due to consoles not available to them.
Wait, let me get this straight. The “problem” that cloud gaming is supposed to solve is that…. non-cloud gaming is more popular than ever? What kind of backwards-ass logic is that?

Fredrik

They are trying to sell the service. Whoever gets it, i hope they try to improve on it.

Sony should try to acquire this product, and try to integrate with their psnow. It will make it a superior product.

Its one of the most advanced tech, that made an impossible dream come true.

You know what they say, all good products are at the hands on incompetent people, who have no clue what to do with it.
Didn’t know they’re trying to sell it. The whole package? Stadia hardware, servers, name and all?

The hardware is too weak now but the streaming tech is good and I know devs enjoyed it for bulk game testing during the pandemic, could possibly see it work for such a scenario.

kingfey

Banned
Wait, let me get this straight. The “problem” that cloud gaming is supposed to solve is that…. non-cloud gaming is more popular than ever? What kind of backwards-ass logic is that?
Is that what you come to conclusion to?

How much money do you think these console gaming industry have to make 400m consoles?
Sony was able to do 116m for their ps4. No way a company will make a 250m device, which costs $400-$500 to make. That is insane amount of money just to make consoles. Even MS, who is a trillion dollar company, won't spend that much on their console.

You need a cheap way, which doesn't require a hardware, to connect to a billion gamer. And streaming is the only one that can do that. That is the solution, the streaming gaming is for. To reach more gamers, without having to mass produce a device which not alot of people will buy it, because of the price.

As technology advances, and internet becoming through out the world, cloud gaming is making more sense to these companies. They could spend console production money, to improve the service. Sony ps4 at a $200 production is $23billion in 8 years. That much money could fix the issues cloud gaming has.

Skifi28

Sony was able to do 116m for their ps4. No way a company will make a 250m device, which costs $400-$500 to make. That is insane amount of money just to make consoles. Even MS, who is a trillion dollar company, won't spend that much on their console.
They will make as many consoles as they can sell. If they keep selling they'll keep making them. Your arguments make less and less sense, I hope your shift ends soon.

Murdoch

If your internet speeds are half decent Stadia is great. It just needs a bigger collection of games. At the moment it's the only thing holding back the service.

It's the only cloud service that is a true replacement for traditional gaming. The rest I've used are 'not having to install games is neat' or are just 'value additions' to a existing service.

kingfey

Banned
They will make as many consoles as they can sell. If they keep selling they'll keep making them. Your arguments make less and less sense, I hope your shift ends soon.
You are counting on sales, but not the production. how long do you think it took for ps4 to hit 116m? 8 years. It took them that long to hit, and produce the product during that period of time.

Cloud on other hand, has their systems by the user. All they need to do is be an app, or browser. And with advertising, you can reach console numbers, granted you have the games for it.

This what you need to understand. It skips the time you are producing these products. By that time, Many people are already playing cloud systems.

Disney Plus Hits 103.6 Million Subscribers, as Rapid Growth Cools - Variety.May 13, 2021. And this is when it got released. Disney+ launched in the United States on Nov. 12, 2019. That is the power of being an app.

I know that one is a movie. But that is what you are able to do with cloud gaming. No more keeping up with demands. Its all about, can your server handle this many people.

kingfey

Banned
Didn’t know they’re trying to sell it. The whole package? Stadia hardware, servers, name and all?

The hardware is too weak now but the streaming tech is good and I know devs enjoyed it for bulk game testing during the pandemic, could possibly see it work for such a scenario.
They will sell stadia service. The server is owned by google. They could rent it though. Anything that is related to stadia, will be a part of the new owner.

PrimeX

This 100%. The input lag has been and probably will be for a long time, a hot pile of garbage. Nobody taking gaming even somewhat seriously will ever switch to streaming their games. I wonder how E-SPORT E-ATHLETES would feel if they got their PCs takin away and had to use Google fucking Stadia for their tournaments and practices.
As I have suspected, you have small d errr low internet speed 👏

Kappa

Lg v60 with the moga controller clip. Best way to game for titles not available on my switch. Been playing through judgement

Tschumi

Hi fellow gamers!
I wanted for some time to write this but was always overwhelmed by the GAF negativity on the subject.
A bit of background before: I am in my 40s and have been a gamer all my life. Started with a Commodore-like computer running Basic games in the post-communist Romania.
Upgraded to a 386 and then AMD 486 barely running Diablo I. It was a PC-driven gaming life since then until family "struck" and I had no time for complex gaming anymore. That's when I bought my Wii followed by the WiiU. Simple and fast-paced fun made me a Nintendo fanboy. Unfortunately the WiiU was a marketing disaster and nobody (besides me apparently) played those great games on the platform. Then the Switch arrived and I have tried with all my power to justify buying and replaying all those WiiU games but couldn't do it. For me, the Switch is dead and I had to find something else but couldn't return to the PC building mess or next-gen nowhere-to-find PS5 (fukin hate Xobox).
This brings me to the point of this topic: gaming on Stadia. I remember dreaming in the 2000's about playing on a powerful server somewhere on the net, me only owning a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Unfortunately the 56k dial-up connection was far from capable of anything like this so it remained just a dream until...3 months ago when I have tried Stadia. The setup was kinda clumsy: Samsung S20 Android phone with Stadia app, Usb-c to hdmi adapter for TV connection and WiiU Pro controller. I was not satisfied with the experience but I could see it is working. After a few days switched to a laptop with HDMI output but it did not have V9 hardware decoding so there was no 4K and I wanted to have that. Still the free games received with the Pro subscription were playable and kinda fun. I found that one of my home laptops had V9 decoding and from that moment I was sold - 4k gaming altho the old hdmi port was old and did not support HDR. Since then I did some more improvements and rigtht now I am happy with Stadia.
Here it is:

• Chromecast with google tv
• Gigabit internet connection (yeah here is cheap - 40RON (10 USD/month)
• Motrix USB-C hub with Power Delivery for ethernet and the adapter
• 8bitdo USB adapter
• PS5 Dualsense connected to the 8bitdo adapter
• 5.1 sound system with ARC
• 65” B9 OLED

Right now I’m playing Tomb Rider 20 years celebration and Farcry 5 at 4K@60hz, HDR and 5.1 sound. Works as advertised.

What is your Stadia setup?

Mate, I won't joke at your expense or hate. I know what it's like. I've had to stop myself making threads about why i love PSP 1000 because they're just so self indulgent... I've written heaps of threads where i just shoved my opinion out there and it got snapped off lol...

I appreciate your passionate wall of text.

I Appreciate You Dj Khaled GIF

I wish i had more to add, i didn't even know stadia existed until like last year

Last edited:

Fredrik

Did you even compare these game libraries before coming to this conclusion? Just wondering because it's bizarre someone would think this.
Well I can’t try Luna yet in my country, but I’ve had all major streaming services. Except PS Now but the games library is rather impressive I’d say. A quick check on the net shows me this:

Over 1000 games on Geforce Now
Over 800 games on PS Now
283 Games on Xbox Cloud
234 Games on Stadia

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Certain things you just wont change about yourself or your views.

I will never stop gaming locally.

I bet streaming will take off and possibly take over for casual gamers. Im guessing it will never be fast enough for competitive gamers and as well enthusiasts like myself who like to build hardware will never adopt this way of gaming.

So ya. Ill always be gaming locally. But for those who want to stream I hope the technology continues to get better.

I want a Stadia controller just because I like collecting various controllers from different systems. That said the Stadia controller's finish is prone to scratching and chipping so I haven't found one in decent shape despite the fact nobody even uses them.

I also have a Virtual Boy which was much more well through out than Stadia.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/google-stadia-is-„alive-and-well”.1605401/ OP banned

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/stadia.1580819/ strangely same content style.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/stad...day-a-really-great-streaming-service.1581143/ OP banned

They are so obvious in a "Hey there fellow kids" way. That last poster was actually banned for shilling IIRC.
161658-peter-falk-alias-columbo-624x600-2.jpg

So what's your conclusion, Columbo...

Who is behind this conspiracy ? Fat Frog Fat Frog ? Alucardx23 Alucardx23 ? Phil Harrison ?

Please be specific. 🤑

wolywood

I'm one of the few non Stadia haters on this forum. It hasn't and probably never will replace my consoles as my primary gaming method (at least not unless the game library dramatically improves) but the tech is solid and blows away any other game streaming service I've tried. The game prices can be high compared to other platforms but there have actually been some decent deals in the past - I picked up Judgement and Borderlands 3 deluxe edition for $10 each.

Last edited:
I have been playing arcade driving games on my nvidia shield/geforce now and the experience has been pretty playable (about 30 hours in The Crew 2).

I looked in the Stadia setup and I don't see any point. I could have been install the stadia app on my shield and just use the shield controller. So there is no hardware cost. But there is no point, it's no like google is giving out free games. On geforce now, I can get cheap games on Steam, and occasional free games from EPIC and I can play it for free. Like this week Epic gives out Plague tale for free, and I can play on GFN's free tier. The free tier experience to me has been good, the wait line is not long so I don't feel any need to upgrade.

And when I get a gaming PC or Steam Deck, I can play these steam games locally. My only complaint to GFN is even on the paid tier, the game selection doesn't increase. They should let you play wider selection of purchased steam games on the paid tier.

ShinobiWan1

I have Google Fiber, and they sent me a free Stadia controller etc as part of that. I played the free trial, and it was pretty neat. But I don't think I'll get the subscription

Fat Frog

I have been playing arcade driving games on my now and the experience has been pretty playable (about 30 hours in The Crew 2).

I looked in the Stadia setup and I don't see any point. I could have been install the stadia app on my shield and just use the shield controller. So there is no hardware cost. But there is no point, it's no like google is giving out free games. On geforce now, I can get cheap games on Steam, and occasional free games from EPIC and I can play it for free. Like this week Epic gives out Plague tale for free, and I can play on GFN's free tier. The free tier experience to me has been good, the wait line is not long so I don't feel any need to upgrade.

And when I get a gaming PC or Steam Deck, I can play these steam games locally. My only complaint to GFN is even on the paid tier, the game selection doesn't increase. They should let you play wider selection of purchased steam games on the paid tier.
First, GFN is awesome 😎, i won't argue with you...

But I disagree on Stadia:

& There are free games on Stadia (Bomberman, Destiny 2, Hitman 3...)

& On the paper, GFN is ten times better (EGS and Steam's free games on GFN are great)and makes Stadia useless.
WRONG : 3/Stadia is much more seamless, convenient, between devices.
2/ Bearable queue on GFN ? Half true, there were several hours of wait for AAA like CyberPunk back then, even premium users had to wait a little.No queue on free Stadia.
1/Most important aspect, the tech is better on Stadia: Shorter loadings and the feeling is really better if you use the wifi controller. (you'll reduce latency with it)

I'll give you an example from a GAF user: (usually very sarcastic)

ShirAhava ShirAhava said:
"I've gone PC/Stadia/XCloud this gen and I'm loving it

The current consoles are just bleh to me

ps5(don't like the hardware or the games plus the censorship and swj crap)
series x.s(i like the hardware no new games I care about and I already have an xbox one x for the old stuff)
switch(HATE the hardware love the games but emulators exist)"

PC and consoles are not perfect, that's why Stadia, GFN, Xcloud are played more and more...

Switch owner ? I can't play AAA except with Stadia.

Next Gen ? There are many shortages and a 500 bucks entry fee.

PC owner ? GPU inflation and irritating choices from publishers for RTX 3090 gamers: No latest tech on Fifa 22. It's on Stadia.

PS4/Xbox One owners ? 3 FPS on Cyberpunk...

What is great with cloud gaming ?
You don't need fucking console entry fees to enjoy all offers...

You don't see the point ? For the moment... One day some games will keep your attention and you won't have to spend the price of a console to play them.

You were talking about "arcade driving games"...

Good point. It's been a decade i'm waiting for Virtua Fighter 5 on PC...
It finally happened with Yakuza LAD for 50 bucks, except the Dragon Engine is very GPU demanding, not playable on GFN, struggling on PS4, asking for gamepass sub on Xbox...(almost no Sega of Japan games on GFN)

Judgment and all the arcade games:
PS5: 540 bucks
Series S: 340 bucks
PS4: 24 FPS, " input lag, unpleasant experience"
Switch: NANIIII
PC: :Travolta gif:

Stadia : Fast loadings, 60 FPS = 40 bucks...

Stadia is the only way to play a good version of Judgment without entry fee, sub, and full of arcade games : Virtua Fighter 5 (surprisingly responsive, i doubt GFN could be as enjoyable since latency is crucial here) and they did add an arcade racer with Outrun (pinball on PS4 instead) and of course you already have Motor Raid.

With your Nvidia Shield, you'll boost your free Stadia version of Judgment in 4K which means better performances than a Series S (without additional 300 bucks since you already have the shield. For me it's on par with Serie S since i don't have the Shield).

So yeah, there are many reasons to play Stadia (maybe not as a main platform for many gamers but as a great sidekick for the moment)

Last edited:

Skyfox

I recommend Stadia if you have good internet but I feel Steam Deck is going to impact my Stadia and GFN budget.

I play this game with my kid a lot.
UP7VvmD.jpg

I have two chromecasts (one for upstairs, and one for down) and two Stadia controllers. I got the chromecasts and controllers as part of a special offer Stadia ran a couple of times. In total I payed €100 for the hardware. The kid game was like €14.

The Razer Kishi was about €95 at the time and I use it on a preowned S8 (not my main phone).

Cloud gaming I have:
  • GFN (I joined early so its €5 a month)
  • Stadia (No sub, only bought games)
  • PS5 (pain in the ass, only works on ios)
  • Xcloud (laggy as fuck)

First, GFN is awesome 😎, i won't argue with you...

But I disagree on Stadia:

& There are free games on Stadia (Bomberman, Destiny 2, Hitman 3...)

& On the paper, GFN is ten times better (EGS and Steam's free games on GFN are great)and makes Stadia useless.
WRONG : 3/Stadia is much more seamless, convenient, between devices.
2/ Bearable queue on GFN ? Half true, there were several hours of wait for AAA like CyberPunk back then, even premium users had to wait a little.No queue on free Stadia.
1/Most important aspect, the tech is better on Stadia: Shorter loadings and the feeling is really better if you use the wifi controller. (you'll reduce latency with it)

I didn't know stadia has free game. Its entire game list is so shit I only spent 5 minutes on it. I think they may have only 1 racing game.

I didn't know there are different waiting queue on different games. If I pay actually $60 for a AAA game, I probably won't mind paying for the monthly premium tier for a few months. I am not trying to sell anybody GFN, I am trying saying the free tier is totally playable for casual gamers. I have tried so far about 10 driving games on GFN/Steam, they all have short wait time. Only 1 game is unplayable (Gravel), there was some bug. Again, the most attractive selling point for casual gamers is these games are so cheap if you buy the steam key from third party website.

I have watched some cloud gaming reviews, some say the Amazon Luna controller is better. It has a wifi mode that connect to your router/cloud directly, so it has the shortest lag. If Stadia copy this tech I would give it another look.

edit, the main problem is, Google hardware has no fucking creditability, always has been. Google hardware is like Apple cloud service, they don't know what they are doing. I would give Amazon a try before I buy anymore google hardware.

Last edited:

wolywood

"It's considerably less shit than the other options"
Honestly the difference in latency (the biggest issue people typically have with game streaming) between button presses on my Series S games and button presses on Stadia games running from my hardwired Chromecast is negligible. At least in my experience.

Fat Frog

I didn't know stadia has free game. Its entire game list is so shit I only spent 5 minutes on it. I think they may have only 1 racing game.

I have watched some cloud gaming reviews, some say the Amazon Luna controller is better. It has a wifi mode that connect to your router/cloud directly, so it has the shortest lag. If Stadia copy this tech I would give it another look.

edit, the main problem is, Google hardware has no fucking creditability, always has been. Google hardware is like Apple cloud service, they don't know what they are doing. I would give Amazon a try before I buy anymore google hardware.
Shit library ? There are from recognized AAA like RDR 2 to hidden gems like Monsterboy.
Some genres are lacking that's true but it's pretty decent for the moment.

Shortest lag on Luna ? Well, some say Stadia remains the king but fair enough. Stadia's input lag is already excellent. A little better or a little inferior than Luna, who really cares that much. Only xcloud has so so results...

No hardware credibility ?
Ok, but you don't need Google's hardware.Judt your own stuffs and Stadia's tech which is fantastic...

Stadia is not flawless but you know what ?It's not like usual console wars. Console fanboys could downplay other consoles, that's fair. There are huge entry fees... With Cloud gaming, you can play on GFN, switch to Stadia without extra cost.(same controller)
That's the magic of cloud gaming 🥳😎🥳

wolywood

You don't need any Google hardware to play Stadia games, you can use just about any Bluetooth or wired gaming controller on PC, tablet or phone. You used to need a Chromecast and Stadia controller to play Stadia games on a TV, but even that is not a requirement anymore with the Stadia app now officially available on Shield and a bunch of Android TVs and devices.

Also I thought it was Google's history of killing software services that is the issue for a lot of people, not so much their hardware. They are still actively supporting and releasing phones, speakers, routers, the whole suite of Nest home products, plus Chromebooks have been around for a decade now. I'd actually say they have a better track record on hardware than Sony (killed off the Vita, PS TV, Vaio laptops etc.)

Last edited:
Shit library ? There are from recognized AAA like RDR 2 to hidden gems like Monsterboy.
Some genres are lacking that's true but it's pretty decent for the moment.

Shortest lag on Luna ? Well, some say Stadia remains the king but fair enough. Stadia's input lag is already excellent. A little better or a little inferior than Luna, who really cares that much. Only xcloud has so so results...

No hardware credibility ?
Ok, but you don't need Google's hardware.Judt your own stuffs and Stadia's tech which is fantastic...

Stadia is not flawless but you know what ?It's not like usual console wars. Console fanboys could downplay other consoles, that's fair. There are huge entry fees... With Cloud gaming, you can play on GFN, switch to Stadia without extra cost.(same controller)
That's the magic of cloud gaming 🥳😎🥳

Between the remaining cloud gaming services (Stadia, Luna, Xcloud, Sony whatever), I am only interested in MS and Sony exclusive games. I would pay actual money to try them if they work on the nvidia shield.

I think the MS one does. Once I finish these batch of Steam racing games I will give MS a try.

You don't need any Google hardware to play Stadia games, you can use just about any Bluetooth or wired gaming controller on PC, tablet or phone. You used to need a Chromecast and Stadia controller to play Stadia games on a TV, but even that is not a requirement anymore with the Stadia app now officially available on Shield and a bunch of Android TVs and devices.

Also I thought it was Google's history of killing software services that is the issue for a lot of people, not so much their hardware. They are still actively supporting and releasing phones, speakers, routers, the whole suite of Nest home products, plus Chromebooks have been around for a decade now. I'd actually say they have a better track record on hardware than Sony (killed off the Vita, PS TV, Vaio laptops etc.)

Wireless really doesn't work on my setup. I have a cheap router and I connect the Shield to it through RJ45.

I tried GFN on chromebook, android phone, all of them are laggy as hell. Unplayable.

Again I know I can get Stadia on the Shield, but the game library hasn't motivated me. If they have 2077 for 20 bux or something is a different story.

Oh yeah don't get me started on google killing good services. I had 30k+ song uploaded on my google music account, they migrated it to that garbage yotube music UI. It doesn't even tell you the size of your library anymore. The only way to access your old song/audiobooks is if you remember the name exactly. Hulk smash google!

Last edited:

wolywood

Between the remaining cloud gaming services (Stadia, Luna, Xcloud, Sony whatever), I am only interested in MS and Sony exclusive games. I would pay actual money to try them if they work on the nvidia shield.

I think the MS one does. Once I finish these batch of Steam racing games I will give MS a try.
You can sideload the Game Pass app onto a Shield and it works ok. The bitrate is pretty low though, games tend to get super pixelated when you move the camera around.

Top Bottom