• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Mortem: Eternal Darkness~Sanity's Requiem

I liked this game a fair beat and beat it the first time pretty involved.

Then I played a few months later and saw through the sanity gimmicks, the annoying puzzles, the fact that there are only 4 levels, etc., etc., etc.

In my opinion REmake kills it for atmosphere and gameplay which came out two months before ED on Gamcube. I couldn't call Eternal Darkness a classic, not even close.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I had my TV's volume up extremely high when the bathtub scene happened :<

I think I jumped six feet.

Alts

Xel'lotath Bankorok Santak Pargon Pargon Pargon Pargon

Is the "true" ending worth playing 3+ times for? I really enjoyed the game the first time through, and had my brother play and beat it with a different alignment, leaving 1 left, but I figure I could just watch on youtube if I must.

I played it a bit too far after its release, so a good number of the sanity effects I was well aware of, such as the controller thing. I probably would have liked it a lot more had I bought it in a more timely manner.

eve241

This is the only game on the Gamecube (apart from RE4 and Killer7 which I can get on the PS2) I ever really wanted.I'm still considering buying a GC just so I can play it...

Yixian

Banned
Hunter D said:
One of my favorite games last gen. The production values in this game is excellent. The plot, script, cut scenes, and voice acting are some of the best ever done. Any company that his making a serious cinematic game should take a look at eternal darkness. No one last gen could touch those elements of the game.

I enjoyed my one time playing through the game. It's not a perfect game by any means, and others have already detailed its problems. My favorite aspect of the game is definitely the construction of the story. Playing through all these different places around the world was cool, but it was really awesome when you went through the same places in different time periods, and being able to see what changed and what stayed the same. The characters all played similarly, but it was great seeing how their stories all tied together. Sometimes the character you control turns out to be a bad guy. Sometimes you finish a chapter and they just end up getting killed. That doesn't happen too often in games. Eternal Darkness really tried to do a lot of new things, and when they worked, it was really a breath of fresh air for the genre.

Endow said:
This is the only game on the Gamecube (apart from RE4 and Killer7 which I can get on the PS2) I ever really wanted.I'm still considering buying a GC just so I can play it...

Thats what I did lol

Haunted

A great game, freaked me out lots of times.

I love the idea of the different player characters you get to control throughout different points in history, even though that means there are revisited locations now and then. I'm just a total sucker for this kind of stuff.

Damn this thread, makes me want to replay this game again, but I don't know if I could stomach the bleh combat and the shocker sequences. :lol

Top Bottom