• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polymega Compatibility List Posted (+ production update)

List: https://www.polymega.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Polymega™-CD-Game-Compatibility-Report-120119_updated.pdf
Production update (claims February for ship date, we'll see): https://www.polymega.com/2019/12/08/polymega-winter-production-update-arrives/

Important fine print:

Games listed here have been tested for a minimum of 5 minutes

Most compatibility lists I've seen for emulators, etc., start with a complete list of all games for the system and then mark games as compatible or incompatible.
That format makes it easy to see which games aren't compatible. By contrast, the format Polymega has chosen makes it easier to gloss over what's incompatible. Anyone with sharp eyes notice a glaring omission from this list?

Last edited:
This will have firmware patches, right?

Yeah, from the FAQ: "Yes, regular patches and updates will be released for the system to release new features, improve compatibility, and update the database with additional games. These will require an internet connection via Wi-Fi or the Ethernet port on the back of the console."

To your point, the compatibility list is not final.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just wanted to buy a Polymega software suite for my PC and maybe the option of buying some of the cooler attachments/controllers there aren't already good alternatives for. Like their fairly stylish lightgun that they're doing in collaboration with the Sinden lightgun. I'd buy that. I don't need more hardware...
1.jpg

But finally getting into RetroArch has lessened my need for a Polymega software suite and EmuVR has lessened my need for such a lightgun (though compatibility still isn't the best even this system only looks to emulate specific stuff so will be missing tons of lightgun games and arcade versions etc. anyway).

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i still have no idea why the hell this thing exist. They removed the fpga promise.
now it's just a crappy pc as far as i know.

and many more are making good lightguns,
oh well

Alexios

and many more are making good lightguns,
More like nobody yet makes very good lightguns that work on modern (or any) displays until Sinden (that Polymega is working with) becomes a thing people can buy.

AimTrak and other such guns use the same methodology as the Wii pointer which is only relative and VERY inaccurate as soon as you slightly move from the original calibration position (naturally you move even while aiming left or right on a big screen) it gets imprecise as fuck making games at best way inferior and at worst impossible (good luck shooting the Point Blank falling leaf challenge with a single bullet as you don't get to fire one shot, see where the bullet hit and correct your next shot regardless of how inaccurate the first was due to the lacking hardware). Sinden takes it a step above that so that accuracy can be calibrated to be spot on 1:1 rather than relative and remain so regardless of how your positioning changes past that point since it tracks a whole screen border around the game rather than just 2 points of infrared light reference points that are then applied to the game relatively. I mean, yeah, you can use the Wii method to make actually accurate guns but then you'll need many more than two infrared light points to match your TV, just as later SEGA arcade games used, which is obviously less ideal than Sinden's "just the gun hardware" method and I don't know of any company doing such guns anyway (though I imagine there are people repairing SEGA lightgun cabinets like those).

And that's the reason Sinden exists at all, because current solutions frankly suck compared to the real deal, we just compromised because they were the only thing available that at least gave a half decent impression of real lightgun gameplay just like the Wii ports of games like HOTD2 & 3 and Ghost Squad. It's all sub par though.

The other new alternative for lightguns as accurate as real lightguns is playing your retro lightgun games in EmuVR as modern VR controllers are just as precise since positional and rotational tracking is 1:1 true to life but EmuVR itself is far from perfect and some emulators (it runs RetroArch) also aren't so not all games work.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
More like nobody yet makes very good lightguns that work on modern (or any) displays until Sinden (that Polymega is working with) becomes a thing people can buy.

AimTrak and other such guns use the same methodology as the Wii pointer which is only relative and VERY inaccurate as soon as you slightly move from the original calibration position (naturally you move even while aiming left or right on a big screen) it gets imprecise as fuck making games at best way inferior and at worst impossible (good luck shooting the Point Blank falling leaf challenge with a single bullet as you don't get to fire one shot, see where the bullet hit and correct your next shot regardless of how inaccurate the first was due to the lacking hardware). Sinden takes it a step above that so that accuracy can be calibrated to be spot on 1:1 rather than relative and remain so regardless of how your positioning changes past that point since it tracks a whole screen border around the game rather than just 2 points of infrared light reference points that are then applied to the game relatively. I mean, yeah, you can use the Wii method to make actually accurate guns but then you'll need many more than two infrared light points to match your TV, just as later SEGA arcade games used, which is obviously less ideal than Sinden's "just the gun hardware" method and I don't know of any company doing such guns anyway (though I imagine there are people repairing SEGA lightgun cabinets like those).

And that's the reason Sinden exists at all, because current solutions frankly suck compared to the real deal, we just compromised because they were the only thing available.

The other new alternative for lightguns as accurate as real lightguns is playing your retro lightgun games in EmuVR as modern VR controllers are just as precise since positional and rotational tracking is 1:1 true to life but EmuVR itself is far from perfect and some emulators (it runs RetroArch) also aren't so not all games work.
i said making em as in it will come.
not out right now.

this polymega thing looks more and more like a trainwreck.

Last edited:

Alexios

Okay then, where are those "many more" because I only know of Sinden and, again, Polymega is working with Sinden themselves so, you could have just said you'd get the original creator's product (or even name drop Sinden itself again) rather than Polymega's licensed variant or something rather than claim "many more" are making them. But feel free to show me cos if there are competitors appearing that's a potentially very good thing too, I do kinda hate the Sinden lightgun designs shown so far (but screw the looks if it works well and it could change also anyway) and competition will only drive prices to be fairer (AimTrak suck for charging so much, Sinden aims for half that iirc) so it would be cool if it's not the only one around as long as all of them support the products well in terms of the software and making sure it works with many emulators and what not, plus even emulators would be more inclined to better support lightgun games and features if there were established (relatively) popular standards of devices that people could buy to play those games with (the reason some games currently don't work in EmuVR's lightgun implementation is because the emulator cores themselves lack proper emulation making reloading or aiming impossible for example).

Last edited:
Top Bottom