• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon's Best 50 Games of 2022

TonyK

Including The quarry in that list invalidates the list for me. I played all Supermassive games and I'm a fan of horror games and even in that case The quarry put me to sleep. In no planet The Quarry can be above A Plague Tale or Stray, for example.

giphy.gif
Worst gamer of 2022?

How does Polygon's list-by-committee to generate clicks prove this was a bad year in gaming?

Better question - on what planet does a top 50 of 2022 not include MW2? And if Fortnite updates count, how did they leave off Cyberpunk (new gen)?
Maybe they should do a list for gaaas type games, they're really a different beast and their relevance is closer to a TV show than that of a movie (the same TV show can be TV show of the year many times over, a movie not so... Maybe a movie and the remake, but this is different).

jaysius

Banned
not on the list GIF by America's Next Top Model

I think this is one of those new age lists that's not in any sort of linear order.

I've said it before, but now people are only realizing it now, this was a shitty year for gaming.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
50Immortality
49Poinpy
48Tinykin
47MHR: Sunbreak
46Serial Cleaners
45Ghostwire: Tokyo
44Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
43I Was A Teenage Exocolonist
42Rollerdrome
41Dorfromantik
40Horizon: Forbidden West
39Pokemn Scarlet/Violet
38Metal: Hellsinger
37Rogue Legacy 2
36Perfect Tides
35LoL Season 12
34Gran Turismo 7
33Splatoon 3
32A Plague Tale: Requiem
31Stray
30TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
29FF14: Endwalker
28Raft
27The Quarry
26Warhammer40K: Darktide
25NBA 2k23
24Plateup!
23Tunic
22Total War: Warhammer 3
21Disney Dreamlight Valley
20Xenoblade Chronicles 3
19Nobody Saves the World
18Cult of the Lamb
17Kirby and the Forgotten Land
16Return to Monkey Island
15Norco
14Mario + Rabbids: SoH
13Neon White
12Signalis
11Strange Horticulture
10God of War: Ragnarok
9Powerwash Simulator
8Pokemon Legends: Arceus
7Marvel Snap
6Pentiment
5Fortnite
4Vampire Survivors
3The Case of the Golden Idol
2Citizen Sleeper
1Elden Ring

What kind of idiot ranks Tinykin ahead of Poinpy?

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

I'm kidding. I've never heard of either of them.

Last edited:

Labadal

Full Games released in 2022, that I played:
-Knights of the Chalice 2: Augury of Chaos
-Triangle Strategy
-ELEX 2
-Symphony of War
-Digimon Survive
-Front Mission First Remake
-Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered
-Live A Live
-Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising
-Lost Eidolons

Unplayed, that I will focus on during my two week Christmas vacation:
-Elden Ring

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If this top ten doesnt prove this is the worst gaming year of all time, i dont know what will.

10. God of War: Ragnarok
9. Powerwash Simulator
8. Pokemon Legends: Arceus
7. Marvel Snap
6. Pentiment
5. Fortnite
4. Vampire Survivors
3. The Curse of the Golden Idol
2. Citizen Sleeper
1. Elden Ring
MS was being nice i delaying their games. They had to give other titles a chance.

Last edited:

Sojiro

This is some list lol. So are GaaS shit going to show up yearly in these best of lists? Like LoL, FFXIV (no expansion this year) and Fortnite being on here when they were released years ago seems odd to me. Were they hurting on games to fill out this list? Because they are missing Tactics Ogre, Triangle Strategy, and Bayonetta 3 (oh nvm, bayo fucked a guy, now its a "bad" game :pie_eyeroll:) on that list. Also, in no world does Powerwash fucking Simulator belong in the top 10, that game is literal work, and loses all appeal in about 30 minutes of playing it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thing that always gets me about these "mixed" lists;

Being honest, how many of these cheaply priced indies would you be so positive about if they were priced at $70?

Because if your answer isn't all of them, then there's a major double-standard at play in terms of expectations that makes such lists invalid.

Being honest, how many of these cheaply priced indies would you be so positive about if they were priced at $70?

Because if your answer isn't all of them, then there's a major double-standard at play in terms of expectations that makes such lists invalid.
So only 70$ games should be in the top 10? I really don't think price should matter wether a game is good.

zzill3

Banned

Does it matter?
I wouldn’t enjoy Elden ring if I had to take out a second mortgage to buy it. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve to be on the list.

Kiraly

And how many of these AAA games would you be so positive about if they wouldn't have multimillion dollar budgets for graphics, presentation, cutscenes, mocap and actors?

Banjo64

cumsessed

How does that make any sense? Indie devs have lower overheads and practically 0 man power so they prioritise fun game play instead of spending 400 man hours programming photorealistic horse testicles. This enables them to sell what is usually a fun 6-10 hour experience for a fair price.

Ol'Scratch

They literally put every Sony exclusive in the list, what more do you want?

There was no way in hell Bayo was going to get a mention by Polygon.
LOL keep fighting that good fight.
There are 5 Switch exclusives on there and if I am not mistaken 3 Playstation exclusives.
Try not to be so obvious.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So only 70$ games should be in the top 10? I really don't think price should matter wether a game is good.

No, I mean they should be ranked separately. Mixed lists of indies and AAA aren't informative.

Does it matter?
I wouldn’t enjoy Elden ring if I had to take out a second mortgage to buy it. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve to be on the list.

Products in different price categories shouldn't be listed *together* is what I'm saying, because the value prop effects expectations.

And how many of these AAA games would you be so positive about if they wouldn't have multimillion dollar budgets for graphics, presentation, cutscenes, mocap and actors?

This is my point. If these elements which cost tons of money, time and talent to create aren't intrinsically valuable in their own right to you, you're an outlier!
And that being the case, is it fair to blow these achievements off because you had more fun with a simpler presentation that was only really acceptable because it was offered at a lower price?

Sorry but I think there needs to be consistent and fair rationale if you want to rank things into lists.

I'm not saying AAA are better than arty little indies or vice-versa. Just that when everything is thrown together into a jumbled list, it inevitably sells some titles short based on what each voter is biased towards.

Ol'Scratch

This is a "we are so different from the other GOTY" try hard list that while great that it gives some shine to titles that may not get enough attention it really looks like they just randomly picked some other games off of the "what was released in 2022" wikipedia

Raven117

Gold Member
ER is for the win. And damn that pentiment scoring higher than Ragnarok. The hell did Ragnarok do to deserve that?
Because reasonable minds can say that the game is very high quality, but just kinda feels like a slog alot of the time. (It was for me).

I had more fun playing other games this year....In a year that wasn't exactly gangbusters on great games.

And damn right number 1 and number 2. That's my top two as well. I played Citizen Sleeper right after Elden Ring...the perfect time to play something like it. It hit so many awesome notes for me.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
lol from those 10 Powerwash is the best one
I saw friends playing this and I laughed at them until I tried it and fuck I kept wanting to do more

Decent Top 10 might have moved Vampire Survivors up higher maybe even #1 for myself.

Fortnite though?

And honestly I can't myself to finish GOW R so its for sure not a top 10 for me, guess I am kind of burnt out on it

Top Bottom