• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "The PS5’s stand is a quiet display of engineering brilliance"... Lets talk about it! Poll inside!

Do you appreciate the attention to detail that went into the PS5 stand?

• Total voters

anothertech

Watching him handle it reminds me alot of the ps3 phat. In a good way for me.

Not as incredibly massive as I thought tho

Ar¢tos

The removable faceplates are the best part. Even if Sony/ 3rd party publishers don't chase that market, there will be tons of unofficial offerings.
I think a lot the hate the console is getting is just pure salt because the black Mini-fridge doesn't have that potential.

ethomaz

Banned
That you need to use the stand to put the console horizontaly is a fucking joke not a brilliant engenieering.
Yeap find a way to not block the air in and out are not engineering brilliant :D

They did a brilliant job.... I’m still very impressed.... the stand was really a brilliant ideia.

Last edited:

MadYarpen

Yeap find a way to not block the air in and out are not engineering brilliant :D

They did a brilliant job.... I’m still very impressed.... the stand was really a brilliant ideia.
They can fuck off even if it is made of gold. Or has a covid vaccine inside.

The console is not pulling air from the sides, white fugly panels take care of that. The stand makes sure it will be higher than necessary, in case someone wanted to put it on a shelf under the TV like some idiot. Noo, you need to keep it visible, next to the TV. To show everyone you have it. My neighbours from the apartment across the street will surely see it, it is so big.

ethomaz

Banned

The console is not pulling air from the sides, white fugly panels take care of that. The stand makes sure it will be higher than necessary, in case someone wanted to put it on a shelf under the TV like some idiot. Noo, you need to keep it visible, next to the TV. To show everyone you have it. My neighbours from the apartment across the street will surely see it, it is so big.
I will be very happy to show it to everybody that come home... it is so beautiful piece.
Plus santo give you a way better look from device... you can see from the bottom to top of it.

I will use horizontal btw because I find it way better that way.

The DE looks way more sexy thought but I can live with the disc one.

images

Last edited:

Kuranghi

And what if you misplace the stand itself?! You wake up and BOOM the stand is gone and the PS5 is gently spinning round in a circle on your marble floor!

You got a "jiff" to answer that question eh, Mr. MTV generation?

Yeah lol try putting things you may need later in places where they will be safe. Learn-ding to be an adult is fun!

And what if you misplace the stand itself?! You wake up and BOOM the stand is gone and the PS5 is gently spinning round in a circle on your marble floor!

You got a "jiff" to answer that question eh, Mr. MTV generation?

Yeah lol try putting things you may need later in places where they will be safe. Learn-ding to be an adult is fun!

Wobble gate?

N8hX.gif

I think a warning would be more appropriate, if we are worried about keeping things fair. You got a shit ton of them too first before you received temp bans.
I literally got banned for making a 9.2 TFLOPs joke when my account was like a week old. Not even a warning.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's a clever design, but I still can't get over needing a stand to place a console horizontally.

Mine will be vertical I'm pretty sure. That's clearly what is was designed for.

I could swear a stand came with my PS4 out the box.

It definitely didn't. The only console I've owned that came with a vertical stand is the Wii.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
Sure, it's a nice stand but real engineering brilliance would be not to require a stand at all.

If someone designed a PC case that needed a separate stand to not fall over people would think the designers were idiots.
Well it’s not a PC case 🙄

In Japan, a lot of things have to be designed around the fact that we have regular earthquakes. So I was not too surprised to see the vertical stand.

But I expect In non earthquake parts of the world, that vertical stand is optional. And should have no issue standing upright without it.

Jagz

The fact it even needs such a weird stand, is testament to how poorly designed the PS5 is. Kinda tempted to just wait 3 years for the slim version. Depends on how many games gets ported to PC.

I'm sure this has been said already but the fact that it needs a stand at all means it's lacking "engineering brilliance."

I don't want a "clever" stand with a little compartment for a SCREW. How about no stand at all.

I'm sure this has been said already but the fact that it needs a stand at all means it's lacking "engineering brilliance."

I don't want a "clever" stand with a little compartment for a SCREW. How about no stand at all.

It's removable. Although I don't think they would recommend doing that. But it should be able to be used in either position without it.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Well it’s not a PC case 🙄

The point still stands (ha ha) - coming up with a shitty compromised design that requires overly complex solutions in order to resolve an issue that should never have existed in the first place is far from "brilliant". Of course, I am biased in this case - not because of any aversion to Sony products, but simply because I think the PS5 is a perfect example of a "form over function" device.

They were forced to make it good. Due to its size.

If it fall from your shelf on something, say your toe, it will get completely crushed. There will be lawsuits.

Kadayi

Banned
My 10 years old monitor has the same features except the plastic cap - because it's able to tuck and hide the goddamn screw without it. This is standard design. What a ridiculous article.

Careful there budd, at least 4 people in this thread have likely rubbed one out just watching that breakdown video. The thirst is real. 🤔

smbu2000

I agree with what Spawnwave said in that even though there is a place/holder for the screw many people will probably lose it.

I wonder why they didn’t make it always stay in the stand?
On my slim ps2 vertical stand the screw is always stuck in the stand. You just loosen it to remove the ps2 and tighten it to attach it.
Seems like a pretty bad design on Sony’s part, especially when their previous stands were perfectly fine.

Relativ9

Sure, it's a nice stand but real engineering brilliance would be not to require a stand at all.

If someone designed a PC case that needed a separate stand to not fall over people would think the designers were idiots.

Most high end pc towers come with "feet" you have to mount onto the case yourself (so a stand). This is to lift the case off to allow airflow for bottom punted fans, radiators and psu's. At times the cases are even wobbely without these...nobody thinks they're idiots.

Alx

It shows a lot of thought and clever engineering indeed, I had no idea before watching the OP. Also feels over-designed for its purpose, though. Do we really need mobile parts for something that is meant to hold something standing right ?

FrankWza

It's a stand that has a little compartment for a screw. Let's not give them too much credit for this

I agree. But if it didn’t have that compartment it would be rage over how easy it would be to lose that screw and that would create an entire week of how they went through all that and made the screw so easy to lose.

What a bunch of horse shit. You really believe this? It is one thing to not like the visual design of a Console, but making an accusation like that only reads like uneducated Console warring.
Check his post history. He has been going around Sony threads posting the same shit over and over again.
He's obviously trolling and console warring.

Might be time to step away from the internet and go for a nice calm walk if you're getting this triggered over a stand that will be clipped on once and never touched or thought of again as you use the console.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, no. Engineering Brilliance is actually getting MORE POWER into a SMALLER CASING. That's fucking engineering brilliance.

Hezekiah

Banned
Uh, no. Engineering Brilliance is actually getting MORE POWER into a SMALLER CASING. That's fucking engineering brilliance.
I can't wait until we start seeing the head-to-head on first-party and third-party games and people wonder what happened to MORE POWER.

Top Bottom