• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "The PS5’s stand is a quiet display of engineering brilliance"... Lets talk about it! Poll inside!

Do you appreciate the attention to detail that went into the PS5 stand?

• Total voters

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Yes. I guess the issue is whether you like your console to look a like buttplug when sitting horizontally or not. Not a good look in entertainment center set ups.

Good thing that giant collection of cheap white plastic that needs a stand even horizontally doesn't look utterly ridiculous on it's side

Still going to get a PS5 over anything else in 2021 once they become more available, but I just hate hate HATE the stand requirement for horizontal placement.

It's the price paid for curvy customizable faceplates. If they go more traditional; you won't see that with a slim model on a later revision.

Good thing that giant collection of cheap white plastic that needs a stand even horizontally doesn't look utterly ridiculous on it's side

Good thing. #notabuttplug

Last edited:
At least it's included this time.
I searched all over my city for a PS4 Pro stand and came up empty.
Ended up having to Amazon one. Eyeroll emoji.

Holammer

It's just a bit of useless wank that's getting added to the budget, raising the cost per unit. True form over function.
The slim PS5 that'll come in 2-3 years will be less overdesigned.

LordOfChaos

"Engineering brilliance"?

The fact that it even needs a stand to be able to lie on its side disproves that quote immediately.

Engineering idiocy springs to mind!

I feel like V1 is the "you wanted quiet? Well there's no way you can fuck up the airflow on this one!" model. You sit it on a carpet and it's not vacuuming your floor. You can't stack flat things on top of it. You cant cover the front intakes because of that big lip.

Overdesigned, yes, and the Slim will no doubt be simpler. Idiocy, no.

Tygeezy

I personally thought it was fine until I realized you needed it to sit the system horizontally as well. I think it would've been much more intuitive if you didn't need a tool and piece to make the system vertical or horizontal.
It looks like they did this for cooling purposes. Both of those fans are intake fans and if it sits horizontally you are going to want it elevated off the ground to pull in cool air properly.

MiguelItUp

It looks like they did this for cooling purposes. Both of those fans are intake fans and if it sits horizontally you are going to want it elevated off the ground to pull in cool air properly.
Yeah, totally makes sense. Just bizarre to digest as almost the entire back is an exhaust port, haha.

Portugeezer

If you're a Nintendo fan or passive owner of their consoles I know what you're thinking: "Has it really come to this? We've been getting console stands packed-in on the box with Nintendo for ages. Welcome to 2020" And you're absolutely right. Both Microsoft and Sony have been late to the party and have more or less chosen to milk their consumers on the accessory rather than provide the stands in the box Day One for some time now. However it's the year 2020, and finally both consoles come day 1 with a stand.

Neither company (MS or Sony) has chosen to include the stand on the box as a genuine new-found sense of love for their fans but because it serves a very important function for both consoles. That is, both consoles are huge, and look aesthetically better while standing vertically (which require the stand). In Xbox case its serves the function of acting as a raiser, bumping the console up a few centimeters in order to allow airflow to get into the system. On PlayStation's side, due to the curves of the faceplaces, and their unevenness; it needs the stand to level the console in place both vertically and horizontally.

As Samit Sarkar from Polygon notes however, there is more than meets the eye with the PS5 stand. I think it's the attention to detail on such a simple accessory that has drawn quite a bit of positive buzz around it. To quote the article found here: click me.

======================================================
So... what do you think?
Do you appreciate the extra little touches that went into making the PS5 stand?
Did that portion of the teardown surprised you a bit?
Are you standing your console vertically or horizontally?

Feel free to discuss.
Actually, one of the Wii U models didn't come with a stand.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
im sorry but the design of the PS5 in general is atrocious. aesthetically and engineering wise. but they were forced because the higher ups wanted to close the TF gap on paper and forced rediculous clocks
tenor.gif

You clowns try way too hard.

Can you elaborate on these claims?

They won't, its just internet fanatictard drivel.

Last edited:

soulbait

It's simple: they saw a problem, and found a way to fix it.

The problem was: due to the design of our console, a stand will be needed no matter the position. We do not want more than one stand for either position and we don't want the consumer to lose pieces. How do we fix this?

Their solution is elegant in that the stand can be used two ways and allows for extra parts to be stored when not in use. I find the solution more elegant than the design of the console itself (which is what caused the problem in the first place) but it is neat.

Xbox had a similar, but different problem due to its shape and their solution was just to make the stand that is needed for vertical alignment, be permanent. This solves the problem of missing parts, and allows it to be versatile in which way the user wants to lay it. I am still not sure if I like the stand on there all the time (going to depend on how noticable in my setup) but I can see why they did.

im sorry but the design of the PS5 in general is atrocious. aesthetically and engineering wise. but they were forced because the higher ups wanted to close the TF gap on paper and forced rediculous clocks
What a bunch of horse shit. You really believe this? It is one thing to not like the visual design of a Console, but making an accusation like that only reads like uneducated Console warring.

Vognerful

My thoughts? I feel like every component after the main hardware (gpu/CPU and SSD) was added or chosen to solve a problem created by the part that was added to solve another problem and etc.

The huge cooling arrangements to cool the high temp of GPU/CPU and SSD. The liquid metal because then the cooling true too big or the temps are too high.

Then the double fans because the heat sink is too big and too hot to be cooled by one fan.

Then the case has to be curved and covered by blades to hide the fans and make sure the vents are not closed.

And then you need a stand horizontal and vertical because the case is curved.

I honestly cannot find smart things here beyond the machine spec and the whole thing looks like what I used to see in work of a problem that is solved only to cause another problem.

LordOfChaos

My thoughts? I feel like every component after the main hardware (gpu/CPU and SSD) was added or chosen to solve a problem created by the part that was added to solve another problem and etc.

The huge cooling arrangements to cool the high temp of GPU/CPU and SSD. The liquid metal because then the cooling true too big or the temps are too high.

Then the double fans because the heat sink is too big and too hot to be cooled by one fan.

Then the case has to be curved and covered by blades to hide the fans and make sure the vents are not closed.

And then you need a stand horizontal and vertical because the case is curved.

I honestly cannot find smart things here beyond the machine spec and the whole thing looks like what I used to see in work of a problem that is solved only to cause another problem.

FYI, there's one fan. Unless one is hiding in the PSU but I don't think so. But it's 45mm THICC and double sided, as opposed to most fans that can only intake from the "top".

Vognerful

FYI, there's one fan. Unless one is hiding in the PSU but I don't think so. But it's 45mm THICC and double sided, as opposed to most fans that can only intake from the "top".
So is the fan going all the way to the other side? Because I swear I saw a fan figure on the other side of the case.

Reading your comment gave me a headache, I mean how stupid can you be? AMD’s New GPU’s are clocked high, I guess they done a last minite upclock to catch Nvidia’s TF number 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

So is the fan going all the way to the other side? Because I swear I saw a fan figure on the other side of the case.

ps5_teardown_components_1920.png

There's everything, one fan. If you mean the two white intake grilles on either side of the black shrouding, those are both for the single dual sided fan

Nymphae

Banned
It's interesting for sure. I can't imagine being upset or excited about it, but it's unique and I find myself wanting to try it out and see how it looks floating in my entertainment center.

scalman

thats like best thing ever for consoles... imagine one pad for all ... and bolts is there all times.... its as sony

CamHostage

The fact that people really are "hyped" about a stand is just another proof how pathetic current gaming industry is. Like for real. How much of a fanboy you have to be to celebrate this?

"Engineering brilliance" might be a stretch, but we had these same little fluff stories go up way back when people discovered the PlayStation logo on your PS2 was meant to spin, depending on what position you had it in.

b3566a8268a4074324b75783a4847fdf.gif

Sure, we don't need to make too big a deal of this, but the fact that the stands are included and that the stands are good, and thought out well for each piece of hardware, that's worthwhile information to get out there.

...Not as worthwhile as telling us how the games run when you plug next-gen games into real hardware at home, but we take what we can get right now.

I appreciate well designed, well thought out products, devices, accessories etc. "Its just a..." statements show me a lack of appreciation for the amount of work and thought that went into a product, any product. Unless it's just a basic thing. I hear/heard it all at work "Its just a logo" "who cares it's app, just put the button anywhere" I'm always surprised by people lack of empathy/understanding. But, I get it. If you couldn't care less then yea, I could see why this does nothing for you. I just always have a feeling that it's some how console war related 🤔 It's okay to like stuff about the other side too guys, you don't have to be dismissive all the time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom