• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon is Literally the Worst

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Eh, I disagree with the article entirely but I don't know why people get so riled by things like this. I think culture criticism should have hot takes and weirdness, it's all part of it. I don't know why we act like it's supposed to be consumer reports.

SCB3

No, thanks. I don’t want another game like KOTOR, where one side is cartoonishly evil for the sake of being evil. And they constantly do evil things, just to show how EVIL they are! I just had Vietnam-style flashbacks of Korriban...

However, I’ve always thought it would be interesting to have a fallout game where one faction is perfectly good, one faction is perfectly evil, and there are several factions in between that have moral ambiguity.

New Vegas?

MiguelItUp

Honestly, I would've much rather preferred a TL;DR rather than giving them clicks to see how bad the article is. I don't want to give them clicks, so I'll just go by the comment's reactions, haha.

Really though Polygon and Kotaku are both pretty horrible. But grass is green, and the sky is blue. Stop going there.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Just a link? No context as to why you think "Polygon is literally the worst"?

...Did you even read the "article"? it says all it needs to to show how fucking retarded those dumb cunts are. There is a reason why gaming "journalism" is a joke these days and these folks are poster boys alongside Waypoint (Vice Gaming) and Kotaku. Though Eurogamer, PCGamer, RockPaperShotgun - all are trying their damnedest to reach to the same level of trash.

How do these websites even stay afloat still?
Who the hell even reads them unironically?

I just have such a hard time believing that they have enough of an audience to actually hire people and keep everything going.
Even IGN... It makes no sense to me.

I'd perhaps take what you're saying a bit more seriously if every article on these websites weren't extremely one-sided.
As someone who enjoys sexualized content I don't think that I've ever read an article that had a positive take on it or defended it but I've read so many countless of articles ranting about it even indirectly if not directly.

And I think that's how a lot of others feel about most of what you read on these websites, it wouldn't be so frustrating and annoying if it wasn't so one-sided and if they didn't all have to fit into a status quo.
Lots of dumb cunts who eat up anything they say and parrot it. Just look at ResetERa, a community comprised of almost entirely of these types.

I strongly do not believe on black and white morality.

I feel a lot of what is wrong with the world today is a side effect of people labeling anything thing they don't like as evil. Its a lazy way of dodging the need to articulate thier own position.

Also defending ones self interests is not evil. Just as Altruism is not inherently good. Both are merely survival strategies. The winning strategy is the better one in the long run.

idrago01

Banned
How do these websites even stay afloat still?
Who the hell even reads them unironically?

I just have such a hard time believing that they have enough of an audience to actually hire people and keep everything going.
Even IGN... It makes no sense to me.

I'd perhaps take what you're saying a bit more seriously if every article on these websites weren't extremely one-sided.
As someone who enjoys sexualized content I don't think that I've ever read an article that had a positive take on it or defended it but I've read so many countless of articles ranting about it even indirectly if not directly.

And I think that's how a lot of others feel about most of what you read on these websites, it wouldn't be so frustrating and annoying if it wasn't so one-sided and if they didn't all have to fit into a status quo.
I'm pretty sure places like polygon are getting subsidized by either a parent company or non-profit with wealthy donors that encourages their activism and shares their viewpoint

idrago01

Banned
Found the writer :messenger_sunglasses:

g6xnof.jpg

"This perspective allows even the most racist or authoritarian among us to argue that their beliefs are just that — beliefs they are free to pursue, and should be free to do so, instead of the reality of plain ol’ boring and evil white supremacy or fascism." - hahahahaha

Just a link? No context as to why you think "Polygon is literally the worst"?

Seriously.

Why do threads with zero context or effort given or made by the OP allowed to stand?

What's the discussion other than just click baiting us to the thread?

Seriously.

Why do threads with zero context or effort given or made by the OP allowed to stand?

What's the discussion other than just click baiting us to the thread?

Maybe you should report the thread, see if it's still "allowed to stand" lol, God, you guys are such little babies sometimes.

MayauMiao

I refuse to give Polygon a click but given by their hack journalism I am guessing the article is about being woke.

oagboghi2

They're shitty, but I bet a bunch of people crying about them follow lame ass Youtubers, podcasts, etc.

Fuck all that shit. They all suck.
Youtubers aren't telling me to embrace black and white morality plays in gaming.

Stop defending crap

Last edited:
Polygon are political activists, plain and simple. One of Polygons contemporaries and ideological bedfellows Austin Walker admits in this discussion that some of the people he aspires to are literal communists right out of the Frankfurt school who created social theory and critical philosophy (i.e. cultural Marxism) In this talk he speaks to topics like what does it mean to make and play videogames during a time of political struggle and social turmoil? Austin continuously writes about the intersection of games, culture, labor and community. He is (was) the Editor-in-Chief of Waypoint, VICE’s videogame site. Interesting talk for those who want to know how and why the games industry has devolved so far away from just making fun games to play:

idrago01

Banned
Youtubers aren't telling me to embrace black and white morality plays in gaming.

Stop defending crap
this is the sjw’s new thing which is blaming you tubers, their positions (like this one) taken at face value are indefensible, and most of their alinsky-esque smear tactics and hoodwinks have been exposed. so now they’re blaming youtubers, despite being totally ignorant of the fact they themselves are barking baby seals parroting the shiet they’re being told on cnn, msnbc, or john oliver

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
Polygon are political activists, plain and simple. One of Polygons contemporaries and ideological bedfellows Austin Walker admits in this discussion that some of the people he aspires to are literal communists right out of the Frankfurt school who created social theory and critical philosophy (i.e. cultural Marxism) In this talk he speaks to topics like what does it mean to make and play videogames during a time of political struggle and social turmoil? Austin continuously writes about the intersection of games, culture, labor and community. He is (was) the Editor-in-Chief of Waypoint, VICE’s videogame site. Interesting talk for those who want to know how and why the games industry has devolved so far away from just making fun games to play:

and when real life long video game fans question the radical change in gaming over the past years we’re called conspiracy theorists and told to just consume the content and don’t ask questions, don’t worry about feminism, gay agenda, and social activism being shoved down ur throats brah what are u a misogynist bigot sandwich nazi? love is love brah and orange man bad

SoraNoKuni

Ok, wrote a whole rant why this polygon article is trash, then deleted it.

They are not worth of arguments, that article sucked.

Reactions: MrS

Boopster

Banned
and when real life long video game fans question the radical change in gaming over the past years we’re called conspiracy theorists and told to just consume the content and don’t ask questions, don’t worry about feminism, gay agenda, and social activism being shoved down ur throats brah what are u a misogynist bigot sandwich nazi? love is love brah and orange man bad

Make your own video games instead of demanding that developers (who are overwhelmingly progressive) pander to your political agenda, Karen.

I like the article. Bring back games like Kotor. Few games let you be evil these days
Hopefully Niche Gamer plagiarises this article so people here can start agreeing with what it says.

Last edited:
Eh, I disagree with the article entirely but I don't know why people get so riled by things like this. I think culture criticism should have hot takes and weirdness, it's all part of it. I don't know why we act like it's supposed to be consumer reports.

People need to understand that the Article, the Headline, and the Social Media Post are all handled and decided by different departments with different objectives.

This country hates writers with a passion. So funny.

America loves -- cops, superheroes, bosses, queens, king, soldiers, heroes, hosts, auteurs, stars.

America hates -- writers, workers, teachers, parents, social workers, therapists, caregivers, waiters.

What a country!

It means they write reviews for games that spend more time talking about cultural appropriation and insensitivity than they do gameplay.

Okay so you don't like their opinions in their opinionated review articles, because you want their opinions and focus to be on the gameplay. Gotcha.

Well, to me, it seems fair to review any aspect of the game -- you're saying they spend too much time on the narratives of the game? -- so the story of a game is the main attractant for a lot of people. That's fine that it's not your thing and obviously there's plenty of sites (including Polygon) that do focus specifically on gameplay.

I don't get why that is SJW, like that connection I'm not seeing? I'm familiar with the term I just don't get its application here.

Okay so you don't like their opinions in their opinionated review articles, because you want their opinions and focus to be on the gameplay. Gotcha.

Well, to me, it seems fair to review any aspect of the game -- you're saying they spend too much time on the narratives of the game? -- so the story of a game is the main attractant for a lot of people. That's fine that it's not your thing and obviously there's plenty of sites (including Polygon) that do focus specifically on gameplay.

I don't get why that is SJW, like that connection I'm not seeing? I'm familiar with the term I just don't get its application here.

Listen up, you Reset Era reject from Hell...

1. Saying it's fair to review any aspect of a game is BOGUS, no one wants a review that spends 80% of the time talking about the graphics and just a small bit about how it plays
2. NO NOT THE FUCKING NARRATIVE, specific "insensitive" cultural aspects that are ancillary to the over-arching narratives of these games.
3. Most people play games to see how well a game respects diverse cultures now?
4. Including Polygon? Give me a fucking break, only for games where there's no way to read politics into no matter how malformed your brain is, I'm sure their Crash Bandicoot reviews focus more on gameplay, yes.
5. SJW = SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR, they spend more time fighting against what they see as SOCIAL INJUSTICE in the video game sphere than they do talking about what matters to GAMERS. You are not familiar with the term if you are going to talk like this, but I'm sure you're more than familiar with the Reset Era forums.

Listen up, you Reset Era reject from Hell...

1. Saying it's fair to review any aspect of a game is BOGUS, no one wants a review that spends 80% of the time talking about the graphics and just a small bit about how it plays
2. NO NOT THE FUCKING NARRATIVE, specific "insensitive" cultural aspects that are ancillary to the over-arching narratives of these games.
3. Most people play games to see how well a game respects diverse cultures now?
4. Including Polygon? Give me a fucking break, only for games where there's no way to read politics into no matter how malformed your brain is, I'm sure their Crash Bandicoot reviews focus more on gameplay, yes.
5. SJW = SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR, they spend more time fighting against what they see as SOCIAL INJUSTICE in the video game sphere than they do talking about what matters to GAMERS. You are not familiar with the term if you are going to talk like this, but I'm sure you're more than familiar with the Reset Era forums.

Whoa this took a turn. I didn't mean to press any buttons. I'm really just trying to understand the terminology and vernacular. Every board and social forum seems to vary widely on this.

1. You can only speak to your perspective. But you're insisting that their opinion should be different, that's why you don't like their reviews. I'm just rephrasing your point back to you to see if I am understanding. If not, please clarify.

2. What do you mean, then? I don't know what you're reacting to, you seem to have something in mind and I don't know what it is. Do you have a link or a specific example of how they were being insensitive, or too sensitive? Again this is you wanting them to just write their opinion-based articles differently to better suit your opinion. You are aware of that right?

3. Is that you saying that, or who is saying that? Who are you reacting to?

4. Again I am confused. Are you saying the Crash Bandicoot review supports my point or yours? Or you're saying you haven't read it, but you know what it says? I don't know what you're saying. I'm not trying to upset you. I am just trying to understand you.

5. I'm familiar with "SJW means Social Justice Warrior, which we hate" I just don't see the connections here, I'm trying to understand it. I know SJW is a pejorative. It's "them." Okay. I just am trying to understand why, like, anthropologically.

So basically if I am understanding correctly, you want them to write your opinions for you, and because they're failing to provide you with your own thoughts back to you, then we hate them. Is that right?

Again I am not trying to upset you.

Whoa this took a turn. I didn't mean to press any buttons. I'm really just trying to understand the terminology and vernacular. Every board and social forum seems to vary widely on this.

1. You can only speak to your perspective. But you're insisting that their opinion should be different, that's why you don't like their reviews. I'm just rephrasing your point back to you to see if I am understanding. If not, please clarify.

2. What do you mean, then? I don't know what you're reacting to, you seem to have something in mind and I don't know what it is. Do you have a link or a specific example of how they were being insensitive, or too sensitive? Again this is you wanting them to just write their opinion-based articles differently to better suit your opinion. You are aware of that right?

4. Again I am confused. Are you saying the Crash Bandicoot review supports my point or yours? Or you're saying you haven't read it, but you know what it says? I don't know what you're saying. I'm not trying to upset you. I am just trying to understand you.

5. I'm familiar with "SJW means Social Justice Warrior, which we hate" I just don't see the connections here, I'm trying to understand it. I know SJW is a pejorative. It's "them." Okay. I just am trying to understand why, like, anthropologically.

So basically if I am understanding correctly, you want them to write your opinions for you, and because they're failing to provide you with your own thoughts back to you, then we hate them. Is that right?

1. I'm not insisting their opinion be different... what the actual fuck. I'm saying if you want to be a game reviewer you should review the GAME. I don't like their reviews because they'll spend the entire thing complaining about something irrelevant to most peoples enjoyment of a game.

2. I'm not talking about THEM being insensitive, WTF, I'm saying they review games based on the games being insensitive. Look at this shit about Witcher 3 https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/3/8719389/colorblind-on-witcher-3-rust-and-gamings-race-problem
I'm aware you're twisting what I'm saying to mean something else, yes.

3. Stop playing dumb, it's beyond annoying.

4. WTF is with your reading comprehension? I'm saying in the case of a game where no political agenda can be discerned, YES they focus on gameplay, but that doesn't say much for them.

5. Misquoting me, can you do more to not understand a person than you're doing here? OMFG, it doesn't matter if its pejorative or not, I explained how it applies to them.

NO, YOU'RE NOT FUCKING UNDERSTANDING RIGHT, I'M SAYING THEIR SJW VIEWPOINTS ARE BESIDES THE POINT OF THE MAJORITY OF GAMES TO THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE. If they hated a game but focused on gameplay, graphics and story but I loved the game I wouldn't necessarily say the review is bad. I'm not asking for my views to be parroted, I'm criticizing them for viewing games through an ideological lens first and AS GAMES second.

idrago01

Banned

no that’s absolutely not even close to any of the points he was trying to make

2571-C5-AF-235-F-4852-8082-B12598-AEC203.gif

idrago01

Banned
1. I'm not insisting their opinion be different... what the actual fuck. I'm saying if you want to be a game reviewer you should review the GAME. I don't like their reviews because they'll spend the entire thing complaining about something irrelevant to most peoples enjoyment of a game.

2. I'm not talking about THEM being insensitive, WTF, I'm saying they review games based on the games being insensitive. Look at this shit about Witcher 3 https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/3/8719389/colorblind-on-witcher-3-rust-and-gamings-race-problem
I'm aware you're twisting what I'm saying to mean something else, yes.

3. Stop playing dumb, it's beyond annoying.

4. WTF is with your reading comprehension? I'm saying in the case of a game where no political agenda can be discerned, YES they focus on gameplay, but that doesn't say much for them.

5. Misquoting me, can you do more to not understand a person than you're doing here? OMFG, it doesn't matter if its pejorative or not, I explained how it applies to them.

NO, YOU'RE NOT FUCKING UNDERSTANDING RIGHT, I'M SAYING THEIR SJW VIEWPOINTS ARE BESIDES THE POINT OF THE MAJORITY OF GAMES TO THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE. If they hated a game but focused on gameplay, graphics and story but I loved the game I wouldn't necessarily say the review is bad. I'm not asking for my views to be parroted, I'm criticizing them for viewing games through an ideological lens first and AS GAMES second.

“Again I am not trying to upset you.”
he’s trolling you, they always say they the exact opposite of what they’re doing

Last edited:
“Again I am not trying to upset you.”
he’s trolling you, they always say they the exact opposite of what they’re doing

I know, I reported his post I didn't respond to about how America is a bad country but I still can't help but be annoyed because NOTHING annoys me more than people pretending you said shit you didn't. There's plenty to criticize about what I ACTUALLY SAY, I'm not vain enough to think my views are perfect, I wouldn't be on a discussion forum if I felt that way, but if people refuse to engage what you ACTUALLY SAID it just drives me up the fucking wall.

Yams

If they hated a game but focused on gameplay, graphics and story but I loved the game I wouldn't necessarily say the review is bad. I'm not asking for my views to be parroted, I'm criticizing them for viewing games through an ideological lens first and AS GAMES second.

Modern game reviews from major publishers will always be written from an ideological perspective. Maybe you'll agree with the ideology and maybe you won't, but it'll always be there. The days of assigning individual scores to Graphics, Sound, and Gameplay are long gone. Like film reviews, they are critiques. Deconstructing a game is part of the job.

Modern game reviews from major publishers will always be written from an ideological perspective. Maybe you'll agree with the ideology and maybe you won't, but it'll always be there. The days of assigning individual scores to Graphics, Sound, and Gameplay are long gone. Like film reviews, they are critiques. Deconstructing a game is part of the job.

Yes, even games without ideological perspectives, the criticism will be that they're too safe, I've seen this recently with games like Far Cry 5 and Divison II where people were upset about their "apolitical" stances, you could read politics into both, they were just mad the games weren't vehemently anti-Trump or some shit.

Top Bottom