• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: When will PS5 stock be readily available?

When will PS5s be readily available (see text for definition)?

• June - Aug 2021

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Sept - Dec 2021

Votes: 54 22.3%
  • Jan - March 2022

Votes: 76 31.4%
  • April 2022 or later.

Votes: 86 35.5%

• Total voters
Quite the difference from a previous thread I made. I also changed my vote from Q3 2021 to Q1 2022. But honestly a safer bet is summer 2022 and even that is not guaranteed.

dczhypt-e32e0275-fec0-4ed8-af1b-3ff9a275e078.png

That's not a lot tbh. It works out as 10.4 million a year. A successful and available console can sell 20-25 million a year.
Yeah of course. But to be fair. Has anyone ever sold 20 to 25 million in their first year?

Mozza

You can buy loads on e-bay, and those prices will only come down as more scalpers and bots buy stock, in the U.K it's pretty easy to get an Xbox Series X for only £50-£60 more than retail on the site, and Ps5 prices are dropping too.

schaft0620

It won't. Why would it? Even with how it is now PlayStation has reported nothing but success.

They had the same predictions a few times already and just move back the estimated date where they think you could buy one.

Who is they?

MrA

Banned
I think it will depend on lockdowns ending, right now, the ps5 is enjoying extra demand due to the pandemic (just like every other gaming device) , I think that if lockdowns end we will see a soft demand for all electronics as people start doing other activities again (though scalpers will delay the supply for a while because they'll return unprofitable units pushing them into costumer return chain, annoying everyone else)
if lockdowns continue the bolstered demand we keep supplies tight

Waiting to play Demon's Souls has been a massive bummer
You can buy loads on e-bay, and those prices will only come down as more scalpers and bots buy stock, in the U.K it's pretty easy to get an Xbox Series X for only £50-£60 more than retail on the site, and Ps5 prices are dropping too.

I had been keeping an eye on the StockX resell prices. I was willing to spend $600 on the console, as it was money that I earmarked before they even announced price points. It was JUST about there, then the Biden Bux dropped, and it jumped back up to around $800.

Neff

I was thinking a number of factors would lead to it being summer-autumn, but at this rate it looks like it'll be next year.

I'm glad I managed to get one.

dcx4610

Random/intermittent restocks throughout the year. Hard to find but more readily available this holiday and in stores by Spring of 2022.

Copy/pasting from my post in Next Gen thread:

Called up local EB Games (here in New Zealand)

PS5 stock is coming in 2-3 months.

They are dropping the pre-order function. Can only purchase PS5 in-store on first come, first serve basis. No more than 1 unit per customer.

Fuck you kindly scalpers:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Mokus

Considering the massive chip shortage around the world, definitely we will have to wait until next year. Even with what we get now, is because Sony and Microsoft luckily had a contract previously with AMD and the taiwanese chip company.

Last edited:

Mozza

Waiting to play Demon's Souls has been a massive bummer

I had been keeping an eye on the StockX resell prices. I was willing to spend $600 on the console, as it was money that I earmarked before they even announced price points. It was JUST about there, then the Biden Bux dropped, and it jumped back up to around $800.

The scalpers are saturating their own marketplace, the bubble has already burst on the Xbox series X with around 5000 consoles for sale on e-bay in the U.K, the PS5 is not near that level just yet, but the amount you can make on these has dropped quite a bit.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I believe you can flag scalpers on eBay and other sites so they get taken down. Unfortunately, there is always going to be another site to sell on and someone will pay the money.

The problem isn't so much the online selling. The problem is that Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc are not doing anything to prevent shitbag scalpers from using bots to buy from their sites.

fd596ed4-bf03-4ecb-a3b0-7a9c0067df83.bb8f535c7677cebdd4010741c6476d3a.png

1 - Person A buys a PS5, sells to Person B at a higher price (limited PS5 supply)
2 - Person A buys a PS5 and keeps it, Person B buys a PS5 separately (ample PS5 supply)
3 - Person A buys a PS5 at MSRP and keeps it, Person B buys a PS5 at a higher price but from retail (adequate supply)

The current situation is 1. The ideal situation for consumers is 2. The ideal situation for retailers is 3. I think 1 and 2 are obvious, but let's think about 3 a bit. You know those annoying $800 bundles that GameStop and other retailers always push? Those are aimed at Person B. If the PS5 is a huge hit and it becomes hard to get UNLESS you buy an expensive bundle from GameStop then Person B is more likely to buy that bundle from GameStop (and get some games and accessories for that extra money) than from some random Person A on eBay (and only get the console).

All of this is ignoring the position of Sony. Ideally for Sony, the PS5 would be priced just right so that every consumer is giving the most money possible to Sony for the PS5, but the realities of retail distribution and selling a mass-market device limits that.

Top Bottom