• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: RTX 3000, Big Navi, PlayStation 5, or Xbox Series X?

Which next-generation platform are you buying?

• Ampere

Votes: 84 16.7%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 179 35.5%
  • Xbox Series X | S

Votes: 24 4.8%
  • I'm waiting for AMD to reveal Big Navi

Votes: 27 5.4%
  • Ampere & PlayStation 5

Votes: 121 24.0%
  • Ampere & Xbox Series X | S

Votes: 19 3.8%
  • Ampere & Waiting for Big Navi

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Playstation 5 & Xbox Series X | S

Votes: 24 4.8%
  • Playstation 5 & Waiting for Big Navi

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • Xbox Series X | S & Waiting for Big Navi

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Via Nvidia's official announcement of their RTX 3000 Series graphics cards, we have been made aware of a paradigm shift in video-game graphics hardware. Whereas the RTX 2000 Series maxes out at 14.2 teraflops in the form of the 2080Ti, the RTX 3000 Series boasts whopping 20, 30, and 36 teraflops of power via the 3070, 3080, and 3090, respectively - the last of which is enough to render games in 8K (via Deep Learning Super Sampling) at 60 frames per second.

To put this into perspective, recall that rumors created the expectation that the fastest card in the 3000 Series, the 3090, would wield 21 teraflops of power, which would have still been mind-blowing and would have made it roughly 2 times as powerful as the PlayStation 5 and 1.7 times as powerful as the Xbox Series X. However, it has turned out that it is the 3070 that (approximately) possesses this level of power: 20 teraflops, which is surprising because the 3070 is the weakest card in the lineup of the RTX 3000 Series that has been revealed.

As for the previously highly rumored 3090, its actual power of 36 teraflops makes it about 3.5 times more powerful than the PlayStation 5 and about 3 times more powerful than the Xbox Series X.

Keep in mind that these figures are in regard to only the most foundational aspect of graphics rendering: rasterization; there's also the novel aspects that are ray tracing and AI upscaling.

In regard to ray tracing, even the 3070 is faster than the King of the 2000 Series, the 2080Ti; it sports 40 RT (ray tracing) terfalops relative to the 2080Ti's 34. Its superiors, the 3080 and 3090, sport 58 and 69 RT teraflops, respectively. Though the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X cannot be defined in terms of RT teraflops due to the mystery surrounding their ray tracing capabilities, it's safe to assume that they are paltry relative to even the RTX 2000 Series, which is utterly outclassed by the 3000 Series.

As for AI upscaling, the 3070, 3080, and 3090 feature 163, 238, and 285 Tensor teraflops, respectively, whereas the 2080Ti features only about 110 Tensor teraflops.

So, with all of this in mind, has Nvidia's official announcement of its RTX 3000 Series changed your decision in regard to which next-generation gaming platform(s) that you're going to buy? Are you buying Ampere, a PlayStation 5, or an Xbox One X? Or are you waiting for AMD to reveal Big Navi before making your final decision?

Mhmmm 2077

Waiting for Big Navi for sure, but if AMD fails to deliver, I'll be forced to buy a 3070 (or maybe even 3080 if the price in my country won't be outrageous).

Consoles are out of the question, especially at launch. My 1070 is nearly 4 years old now so it's technically due to be replaced, but the only game I'm looking forward to is Elden Ring, which will probably run just fine on it, so why waste money on an upgrade before I need it?

None of the above. I'm buying Ampere (likely a 3080) and then I'm gonna wait for a PS5 refresh which is probably gonna be cheaper. Also it will give Sony enough time to actually release some games and those games will also only cost 20 bucks a pop. I did the same with the PS4 and was very satisfied with my approach.

Compsiox

Banned
AMD is very far behind this time. DLSS also makes things a lot harder for them if you ask me.

It's unlikely they'll deliver.

MadYarpen

I'll wait for Big Navi to decide. Anyway, it is a new GPU (probably 3070 or AMD if they deliver) and then PS5 for me.

Barakov

Right now I'm waiting for PS5. While I'm liking what I'm hearing about Ampere the components I'd have to replace in my PC makes me think I'm better off waiting for 2022 to build a new PC. I'm good with a PS5 and the PC I have now.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I intend to buy a 3090 this month, perhaps in person at a local Microcenter; however, I intend to also pre-order a PlayStation 5 on the day that it becomes available for pre-order (which I believe will be the 9th).

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
PS5 early next year, then I'll look into upgrading my PC. Think it would be a mistake to buy new cards before the new consoles are out, no matter what the flops numbers are. I assume this years cards will be outdated very quick.

Shrap

I already have a 2000 series card so I won't be getting ampere anytime soon. It'll likely be PC and PS5 unless Sony put their exclusives on PC (mainly Demon's Souls).

Last edited:
PS5 early next year, then I'll look into upgrading my PC. Think it would be a mistake to buy new cards before the new consoles are out, no matter what the flops numbers are. I assume this years cards will be outdated very quick.

This year's cards are the biggest performance leap we've had in like 15 years. Just saying.

The circle jerk on Ree over Nvidia's new cards is disgusting!

The casuals on there don't even understand what they are looking at i.e thinking a 3080 is '2X the performance of s 2080 Ti' I've seen on there!!

No, the rasterization performance looks exactly as MLID and others leaked:

3080 is 25% faster than 2080 Ti 'only', according to DF numbers. It's using Samsung's inferior 8nm process. It only has 10gb. This leaves AMD a very good chance to beat it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I didn't want to wind up with too many options; that'd be confusing. Also, why get an XSX if you're getting a powerful PC gaming card? That's redundant.

My son loves Halo and Forza Horizon 4. Also, I have the larger online friends list on Xbox. The PS5 is the odd one out here. But while I'm not that into PS exclusives it's still on my list because I historically usually buy all platforms.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The circle jerk on Ree over Nvidia's new cards is disgusting!

The casuals on there don't even understand what they are looking at i.e thinking a 3080 is '2X the performance of s 2080 Ti' I've seen on there!!

No, the rasterization performance looks exactly as MLID and others leaked:

3080 is 25% faster than 2080 Ti 'only', according to DF numbers. It's using Samsung's inferior 8nm process. It only has 10gb. This leaves AMD a very good chance to beat it.
So, do you think that AMD could possibly reveal something whose performance is between that of the 3080 and 3090 but has a much better TDP than the latter? Also, do you think that AMD will be able to compete with the 3080 in regard to DLSS and ray tracing?

So, do you think that AMD could possibly reveal something whose performance is between that of the 3080 and 3090 but has a much better TDP than the latter? Also, do you think that AMD will be able to compete with the 3080 in regard to DLSS and ray tracing?

Yes, you can save this message (is that even possible lol). The top RDNA2 Navi is faster than a 3080 but below a 3090. No, it won't have better RT than Ampere of course, but AMD have been workin on a solution to RT, even if it's just using a part of each CU to accelerate it. As for DLSS, AMD will unveil their own solution, not as good, but some kind of upscaling.

But AMD are using TSMC 7nm enhanced node, this is clearly superior to custom Samsung 8nm in performance and yields especially, but is more expensive. This has saved AMD.

LadyBeggar

Neo Member
RTX 3080 looks like a monster card. I want to get RTX 3080 and a PS5 but I dont have the money to buy both at the same time. I have to either choose PS5 or RTX 3080.
BTW I steam on youtube as well. Any suggestions?

I'm holding off until we get more details on what Sony mean by more games going to PC.

If everything is getting ported, I'm going all in on a beefy PC and will just go with whatever out of Nvidea and AMD's options gives the best bang for my buck.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Yes, you can save this message (is that even possible lol). The top RDNA2 Navi is faster than a 3080 but below a 3090. No, it won't have better RT than Ampere of course, but AMD have been workin on a solution to RT, even if it's just using a part of each CU to accelerate it. As for DLSS, AMD will unveil their own solution, not as good, but some kind of upscaling.

But AMD are using TSMC 7nm enhanced node, this is clearly superior to custom Samsung 8nm in performance and yields especially, but is more expensive. This has saved AMD.
You speak as if you're an insider. Are you privy to secret information? Also, you say that AMD's implementation of ray tracing won't be better than Ampere, but will it at least be close or equal?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Ampere

I have an Xbox One X and see no need for the Series X

and I haven't cared about PlayStation since Motorstorm Apocalypse

PlayStation flat out doesn't make any games I would play anymore

Riky

$MSFT
Getting an Xbox Series X and a Series S, will look at PS5 when it has a slim model that isn't a monstrosity and a new Killzone FPS.

You speak as if you're an insider. Are you privy to secret information? Also, you say that AMD's implementation of ray tracing won't be better than Ampere, but will it at least be close or equal?

Ha no, I just follow a few good sources and leaks, and have done the math on RDNA2 based on next gen consoles CU count and clockspeed. If a 56CU RDNA2 GPU at a lowish 1.8Ghz and low TDP (150W?) in Series X is around a 2080, even if perf doesnt scale linearly, a 74-80CU RDNA2 boosting to 2ghz or more is going to be massively faster.

I can't see any possible way RDNA2 will have comparable RT to Ampere, unless it's the best kept secret in the industry.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
My answer: PS5 + finally an affordable (second hand) upgrade for my GTX780 :D Maybe a GTX1070 or 1660 Ti.. with all them older GPU's getting dumped on the second hand market, it's gonna be great!
Ban

Kai

GreatnessRD

Being an adult, I'll probably settle for the 3070 (Though I'm going back and forth about the 3080 because JEEEZUS) But I'm waiting to see what Big Navi has to offer before buying anything. However, I just don't see it competing with Ampere based on what we saw today (Or yesterday rather).

My PC is fine as it is, don't really NEED to buy into Ampere so will wait it out and see what AMD are up to before deciding on an upgrade or not. Will likely get a Ps5 anyway 🤷‍♂️

martino

still need to see what rdna2 is about to decide what GPU i will buy.
i will wait to see what ps5 exclusive policy will be and act accordingly.
i'm a patient guy so.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
RTX 3070 at $500?
In October before 5-$600 consoles?

Unless Big Navi RTX 3080 killer is ~$500, Nvidia has made the decision for me.

Hard to say. PS5 for sure, but I'm open to both Ampere and Big Navi depending on the prices in Sweden, and consideration taken to power consumption, noise and heat. Impossible to say right now.

sandkiller

PS5 & Switch Pro
giphy.gif

Hostile_18

Banned
This is the toughest choice ever. Hopefully the last PS5 conference will be before the 17th so can make the most informed decision between PS5 and PC.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
This year's cards are the biggest performance leap we've had in like 15 years. Just saying.
So? It's still unclear how high the PC requirements for pure (not cross gen) next gen games will be. These numbers mean shit.
Cards coming out around the release of new consoles have always been outtdated more quickly than the ones released later.

llien

3090, respectively - the last of which is enough to render games in 8K
Oh, STFU please, BS of this magnitude on a gaming forum???

Whereas the RTX 2000 Series maxes out at 14.2 teraflops in the form of the 2080Ti, the RTX 3000 Series boasts whopping 20, 30, and 36 teraflops of power via the 3070
And, curiously, 3070 with 20TF is said to merely match 2080Ti, with 13.7Tflops.
Shift in "paradigm" indeed.

Unless Big Navi RTX 3080 killer is ~$500, Nvidia has made the decision for me.
Rumors only mention card notably faster than 3070, not 3080. (although it might be close to 3080)

Last edited:
Top Bottom