• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll* Microsoft owns Minecraft, how many of you would jump ship to Xbox if Microsoft made Minecraft console exclusive to Xbox only?

Yes I would jump ship to Xbox.

• Total voters

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I bought an Xbox One Day One Edition, but nothing so far makes me want to but a new Xbox console.

I even own a PC and I'm not even interested in playing any of their games.

It would still be available on PC so it wouldn’t be a massive loss if it didn’t move over to PS5. Watching PlayStation users meltdown over the news would be fun.

I own a PS4 lol

minecraft was already a successful game that was multiplatform by the time MS acquired them, it cannot be changed and is too late now, also a game can be popular or not because the circumstances not just how good it is or its concept, there is no guarantee that minecraft would have been so popular as exclusive, an early multiplatform minecraft clone could have been more successful in its place simply because it was available first for most people

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I could find several reasons to get a Xbox Series X as a main console.
Minecraft isn't one of them.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I don't care about Mine Craft. I've tried to play it half a dozen times, I don't get what it's about and don't know who it's for.

Minecraft is pretty popular. I won't jump ship but I bet many kids will be swayed to go xbox.

Minecraft is also very popular among streamers and youtubers it seems. So yes I think it will make an impact at the expense of making fewer sales.

I'd play it on a potato PC, because I can. And it'd likely still be an infinitely better experience than it is on a console.

EDIT: And then I would go and buy a PS5 as it likely has games that better align with my preferences than Xbox does.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
That's a big NO Dawg......

Minecraft, Roblox you name it, has no influence on consoles, most people play these on PC.....They are better there for the editors.......Yet even MS knows not putting these games on PS is and would be a mistake, as the potential audience on consoles will be bigger on PS....That installbase...

Kumomeme

Minecraft surely popular, but it not 'strong enough' to tempted buyer like that. What MS need is something like BOTW, or VIIR, GOW etc that capable to move the console sales.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
So the PS4 has outsold the Xbox one 2 to 1. For crying out loud the Nintendo switch which just came out a few years ago has now outsold the Xbox one by 20 million units!!! I originally traded in my PS2 for an Xbox because of Halo and ever since I have been an Xbox fanboy so to watch the Xbox brand take last place this generation really pisses me off.

If Sony had been the one to acquire Minecraft they would have definitely made it console exclusive to PlayStation it would have never ever been on Xbox. If I had been the one in charge of the Xbox brand I for sure would have made Minecraft XBox exclusive it would have never been on PlayStation!

Can you imagine how man millions more Xbox ones would have sold if Minecraft had been XBox exclusive? It easily could have sold an additional 20 million units I bet.

The Xbox brand is dying and they need to do all they can do to revive it to its former glory! They need to make Minecraft console exclusive to Xbox and then maybe Xbox could be the one selling over 100 million units!
Your lack of faith in uncle Phil is astounding, goober.

Sakura

Lots of people play Minecraft because it is cheap as all hell and on everything. A parent might buy their kid Minecraft when it is already on a system they already own, but they aren't going to go out and buy their kid a brand new console just for Minecraft. It's not a system seller.

Mister Wolf

You wont see it here because this is an enthusiast site. For the casual, let Microsoft announce Minecraft RTX as an Xbox console exclusive(they should) and watch the amount of interest it creates with children and parents.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Me? I would've taken the 'I'm 12 year old option', but hey, you do you.
Well I wanted to use the extreme to call out just how outrageously bullshit that thought process is. Plenty of adults play minecraft, especially those of us who were in our mid/late teens when the game came out. (I was in my junior year of high school when the alpha first popped out.)

it’s not something I play daily, but I enjoy playing it from time to time. But it doesn’t surprise me, gaf has a hate boner for simple games. Look at any animal crossing threads to see what I mean.

Last edited:
I don’t play Minecraft, and I always buy the Xbox, but I hope they never make Minecraft exclusive to any system.

Microsoft are playing the long game, and they should continue to do so. Put Minecraft on every system as long as they exist, then when consoles are no more make it GamePass exclusive.

VAL0R

Banned
I'm an Xbot so I'm getting an XSX anyway. But why are posters acting like the OP's question is laughable when Minecraft is the best selling game in history? I mean, it's not a dumb question. I think it would be a bad business move for MS though.

Edit: And those saying, "what are we, kids!?" are not considering that many of us do have children that love Minecraft and that could very possibly sway our console purchase decision. My kids love Minecraft. Toys, T-shirts, etc. Both my boys and my girls. I went through a phase, but I'm pretty much over it. But I do really like Minecraft Dungeons on Game Pass.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Minecraft is an amazing game and I can't put into words the amount of fun I had on creative mode with it. At the same time, I'm kind of past it now. I don't think I'll ever be interested in it again, but I'll always have fond memories.

Minecraft is not a real console game anyways, it's better on PC. So even if it got pulled from Nintendo/Sony, it really wouldn't matter in terms of console sales. Now, pulling Elder Scrolls VI would be a system seller.

TimFL

The only reason Minecraft is even remotely relevant nowadays is because of the „play anywhere“ wave Fortnite also rides.

It‘d probably be long gone or irrelevant if your progress wasn‘t cross-platform with the way they nickel and dime the playerbase.

Top Bottom