• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[POLL] How you'd feel if the rumored Silent Hill is in First Person?

How would you feel if the rumored Silent Hill is in First Person?

• Total voters

sublimit

Banned
Basically what the question asks.

Personally i'm not a fan of Hasan Kahraman and i think PT is one of the most overrated demos ever made. And the idea of a First Person Silent Hill(s) puts me off. For me Silent Hill is not about cheap jump scares (something that the First Person camera is more suitable for) it's about a fear that intimidates you through the use of subtle atmosphere and clever character design.

I don't play Silent Hill to be a nobody like Ethan Winters from RE7 i play them because i want to experience the stories behind intrigate characters like Harry Mason,James Sunderland and Heather Mason.And the best way to tell a character driven story is in Third Person IMO.

What are your thoughts?

martino

*thinking about the game*
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kuranghi

It would probably be better in TPP I think, the way the camera tracks and moves + the mise en scene is very important to the tone of a SH game imo. If its FPP they would have to control the camera, ie make it much more linear to give the same feeling I think.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I was against it with P.T but I wanted to see how it turned out, years later with so many knock offs and Resident Evil going the same route I'm tired of it.
But we'll see..

Armorian

Banned
SH2 and 3 are great games but gameplay/combat was shitty.

I played P.T. demo and some part of Visage and experience was good, I'm all for something like RE7 but with less action and more riddles/story.

kunonabi

If they got the old crew together I might give it the benefit of the doubt since they would probably have an actual purpose behind it instead of budget/laziness but it would be a pass otherwise

Kuranghi

Is there anyway to experience PT these days? I know its gone and I'm not going to buy a PS4 with it on it ofc, but can I softmod my PS4 Pro to run it or something?

I've literally never played a second of it, but the dollhouse part in RE8 has me intrigued to try it, mostly to scare the shite out of my lady friend who played RE8 with me and said the dollhouse part was the "worst thing I've ever seen in a game", I should've let it eat me :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sublimit

Banned
If they got the old crew together I might give it the benefit of the doubt since they would probably have an actual purpose behind it instead of budget/laziness but it would be a pass otherwise
Yamaoka and Ito are probably in it but i still don't want it (FP). Unless they also got Tsuboyama and Sato which is 100% unlikely.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Nah, 3rd person only from now on for RE and Silent Hill please.
As good as PT was a little horror teaser, it wasn't really Silent Hill in any way.

jaysius

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of the series, the best one I played was the Wii one, I tried to play SH2 about 5-6 years after it's release and it really didn't age well.

Anything to shake up the IP would be great.

Maybe a mix of the Wii game with the gunplay of Evil Within 2 would be a great game.

FunkMiller

Don’t give a shit. If it’s real, and it’s a great game that stays true to the themes, tone, aesthetic and story of the first three games, that’s all that matters.

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
I know both franchises are very different but...

Even though i absolutely loved all Resident Evil games in 3rd person/static cameras as i played them through the years, RE7 (and RE8 i have yet to play) was the one that made me feel remotely scared for the first time since RE Remake.
First person has this power to immerse me more in the game and i'm pretty sure it would be more effective on me than previous SH titles that ended up being far from memorable from my point of view. But that s simply my opinion.

Karmic Raze

I’m not sure. I haven’t played RE7 or RE8 yet, so I can’t comment on how immersive the horror experience is in first-person, but I would most likely prefer it to remain a third-person perspective game. It’s just what I’m used to playing.

Aenima

I was againt RE in 1st person, but after playing RE7 i loved it, so if its well done Sillent Hills in 1st or 3rd person dont matter. As long as they nail the atmosphere and psicological horror, they can make a good SH. First person will only make it more imersive, but melee combat will probably work better in 3rd person.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I wouldn't like it, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed RE8 despite of the FP view. It's not REALLY a FPS, or at least it doesn't play like the typical one, so I guess that's why. Still, I want to see my protagonist, dammit. :(

junguler

Banned
first person horror games rely too much on jump-scares and taking control away from the player, they feel cheap and un-earned. when it comes to horror i prefer the dread and the feeling of not knowing what's going to happen over cheap tricks.

I rather have it in third person mostly because we already have WAY too many first person games in general, especially in the horror genre. If it does not exist, why not implement first and third perspectives like GTA5 or Siren? I prefer to see my characters especially since Silent Hill normally in third person. Hopefully they will at least give us some way to defend ourselves or fight back as well. I’m highly doubting it’s real, but we’ll see.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

It has to be third person and it needs to have the good ol’ panning cameras. That’s part of what makes the old SH games so scary, the fact that you don’t immediately see what makes the fucked up creepy sounds you hear when you enter through a door.

Kokoloko85

Disappointed. RE shouldn't be first person either. It's a betrayal to the fans.

Not as much as RE 5 and 6 was.

RE 4 was an amazing game but so it took it so far away from classic RE ( Enemy count of 900+ before the last couple ”stages” lol )

RE 7 and 8 actually brought it closer to the classics RE gameplay and atmosphere wise more so than RE 5 and 6 ever did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom