• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POLL - Definitive ranking of Bioware games. (VOTE HERE)

Rank your top 3 Bioware RPG titles.

• Baldur's Gate

Votes: 21 11.0%
  • Baldur's Gate 2

Votes: 55 28.8%
  • Neverwinter Nights

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • KOTOR

Votes: 94 49.2%
  • Jade Empire

Votes: 22 11.5%
  • Mass Effect

Votes: 99 51.8%
  • Dragon Age: Origins

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Mass Effect 2

Votes: 107 56.0%
  • SW: The Old Republic

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Mass Effect 3

Votes: 30 15.7%
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters

Tschumi

NWN2 > BG2 > BG1 (> KOTOR)
Omg, i totally loved nwn2 too! Such a great game! Pillars of Eternity (itself a wonderful game imo) took hesps of ideas from it~ i went back to play it again and it seemed slightly aged but i remember it took me a while to get into it before, too.. but Jesus did i enjoy it while i was into it.

Isendurl

Omg, i totally loved nwn2 too! Such a great game! Pillars of Eternity (itself a wonderful game imo) took hesps of ideas from it~ i went back to play it again and it seemed slightly aged but i remember it took me a while to get into it before, too.. but Jesus did i enjoy it while i was into it.
Make that NWN 2 Mask of the Betrayer and I would still disagree, but would understand.
Vanilla NWN 2? Nope and I really like NWN 2, but base game is nowhere near BG imho.

AJUMP23

KOTOR - Incredible story and fun gameplay.
Mass Effect - Better Story than ME2
Mass Effect 2 - better gameplay than ME 1

1. Jade Empire
2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
3. Mass Effect
4. Dragon Age: Origins
5. Mass Effect 2

I've not played Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Make that NWN 2 Mask of the Betrayer and I would still disagree, but would understand.
Vanilla NWN 2? Nope and I really like NWN 2, but base game is nowhere near BG imho.
Ohhh i didn't say it was a patch on BG~

But really, i honestly struggle to differentiate between pillars of Eternity and nvn2 when i think back 10 years or so. It had a clunky fully 3d engine (a lot more work than they were given credit for i reckon) but the story had a strong sense of progression and character progression felt meaningful.. had a few nice challenges too.

Great game, but not Bioware and not as good as multiple Bioware titles, imo.

Mozzarella

1- Baldur's Gate 2
2- Mass Effect 2
3- Knights of the Old Republic

Amazing games. Peak Bioware is one of my favorite developers.

Last edited:
1) Mass Effect 2.
Improved on almost everything the original did well, while cutting out everything it did badly. Easily my favourite game of all time.

2) Dragon Age: Origins+Awakening
Brilliant original setting, a huge variety of player choices and customisation, brilliant characters and just a wonderful fresh, original take on common fantasy tropes. Just a shame the gameplay and visuals are a bit sub par.

3) KOTOR
The best Star Wars fiction outside of Empire Strikes Back. Just a joy to play, and the game that made me a Bioware fan.

Honourable mention: Mass Effect 1. Easily on a par with KOTOR, but since I'd already got ME2 in first place, I gave the vote to KOTOR instead.

Really, there should be one more vote for this as well, or half a vote each split between KOTOR and this.

Man, I miss Bioware.

Tschumi

1) Mass Effect 2.
Improved on almost everything the original did well, while cutting out everything it did badly. Easily my favourite game of all time.

2) Dragon Age: Origins+Awakening
Brilliant original setting, a huge variety of player choices and customisation, brilliant characters and just a wonderful fresh, original take on common fantasy tropes. Just a shame the gameplay and visuals are a bit sub par.

3) KOTOR
The best Star Wars fiction outside of Empire Strikes Back. Just a joy to play, and the game that made me a Bioware fan.

Honourable mention: Mass Effect 1. Easily on a par with KOTOR, but since I'd already got ME2 in first place, I gave the vote to KOTOR instead.

Really, there should be one more vote for this as well, or half a vote each split between KOTOR and this.

Man, I miss Bioware.
My friend I'll just let you know that i misstitled the poll and you actually have 4 votes, as per my op, so go to town hehe

Thanks for your thoughtful contribution

Last edited by a moderator:

Tschumi

Wish I had played KOTOR when I was a kid. Everyone rates it so highly. Tried a few years back and year.. it needs a remake.
i personally never really got in to it.. i found the combat system to be.. well it felt more like final fantasy to me, and i have a lot of trouble getting into final fantasy (funny tho, my favourite ff is ffXII, which probably has some of the most similar combat to KOTOR, but it's the exception that proves the rule i guess)

that said, sometimes i just want to gorge myself on pre-retcon star wars lore... jedi knight series, this, the old novels from the 90s... KOTOR 1 and 2 are glorious examples of pre-retcon lore (unless it was kept, not sure on that one, but even if it was the general feeling that most of the content created before disney bought the series has been ruled non-cannon kinda tarnishes the experience somewhat)... finally, they're a great body of work, which itself deserves playtime.

in conclusion lol i agree, the game's gameplay is outdated, but i gotta love it when i feel like geeking out on SW

Last edited by a moderator:

Cornbread78

Agreed, but it's still 98% a great game.

Whatever Casey was smoking while writing that Space Magic shit must e the best SoCal Kush he could find at the time... then the rest of the staff jumped in on it:

fGJmhxs.gif

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Mass Effect 2 - peak mass effect
Kotor - as a star wars fan loved something not rehashing the original movies
Dragon Age: Origins - 1st fantasy rpg I really got into
Starwars The old republic - only mmo I played thru with every class on both sides wtih a mix of light and dark on each. Really felt like a ton of single player games rapped into an mmo.

Tschumi

Mass Effect 2 - peak mass effect
Kotor - as a star wars fan loved something not rehashing the original movies
Dragon Age: Origins - 1st fantasy rpg I really got into
Starwars The old republic - only mmo I played thru with every class on both sides wtih a mix of light and dark on each. Really felt like a ton of single player games rapped into an mmo.
I'll never forget that first city you go to after the starting zone, coruscant i guess.. it's changed since, but when the game had only just launched it was a really fantastic mmo linear experience, the zones, the challenge, the story, it was just a really fantastic zone. Today changed what i expected of mmo zones. But then you want to that forest planet and i just lost interest when i realised they had things like, what were they called, heirloom lightsabers, which like took away the point of going for loot.. only went back to it once, couple of years ago, and yeah all the magic of that coruscant zone was gone

Top Bottom