• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Poll] Can Microsoft afford to hold back from showing all their big games in their July event?

Can Microsoft afford to hold back from showing all their big games in their July event?

• Yes they can afford to not show all their big games

Votes: 96 40.2%
  • No they have to show all their big games

Votes: 143 59.8%

• Total voters

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
How many xbox and sony shows you expect to take place till release?

Hell even ubisoft plays this dumb game with more to come.

The fact is all companies are held back by global economics and they are all scrambling trying to find the best option to gain market share.

Holding games back holding price back holding some specs back holding lockhart back i mean when in history did we have this?

I get what you are saying but to be frank we waited soo long that i already made up my mind on what to get.

You expect people to get all info a month before release?

Consoles are long term investment and that choice is made months prior like E3 historically.

Nah man i am too old to get my leg pulled.
Show me all so i know if i care or i just go with based on what i already know.

Mate you’re preaching to the converted here. I’m current sat refreshing amazon because the ps5 pre-orders are *rumoured* to go Love in the next 13 minutes. I’m getting both consoles, say one, and won’t miss out.

But the drop feed of shut has been awful, and I hate the fact people out there are still championing THIS over E3. E3 was 100x better than this shit show, it was epic, a fantastic time to enjoy the hobby.

I don't think they're in a position to hold anything much longer. PS4 has more than double the install base of xbox one and unless Sony screw things up in a E3 2006 way, PS5 has the momentum of last generation. Not only that but, right now Xbox is sharing most of its exclusives with PC which means the logical thing to do if you are on a budget is to buy a PS5 for the exclusives and juice up your PC for microsoft games and multiplatforms.

Microsoft has to show something that people can only get on that platform if they want to compete with PS5.

People keep trying to push this but don't look at any of the actual data. For the upper-tier PC gaming market, they comprise of 5% of overall PC gamers. So if there was this influx of console gamers just going to PC gaming equivalents for an equivalent hardware performance, they'd of been done it, and at a much higher percentage.

This also ignores the reality that using "they're also on PC" as a deterrent against getting a Series system might as well also be used against Sony. Already the pace of older PS4 games getting ported to PC has accelerated with games like Horizon and Detroit (as well as Death Stranding which many associate with PS). It's only going to grow especially in thanks with the Epic deal they've signed which would be very lucrative for Sony in getting more profit from PC ports as they won't have Valve taking 30% of the cut anymore.

In fact I'm willing to bet by 2022 we'll start getting PS5 1st-party ports to PC no longer than a year after they release on PS5, and some games will probably start going day-and-date. This won't have any discernible impact on PS5, either; FFVII Remake, everyone knew in advance would be coming to Xbox and PC a year afterwards, yet it still sold gangbusters on PS4 and helped moved systems. So even with the PC port undoubtedly poised to provide better graphics and framerate, people still went and bought PS4s and copies of FFVII Remake in droves.

You can try to argue the stature of the game is a motivating reason people decided to cash in now instead of wait a year, too, but that similar type of stature could be applied to most of Sony's 1st party. What hardcore GOW fan is going to pass up playing GOW 5 Day 1 on PS5 versus waiting a year to get it on PC? Very few. Even if the PC version came day-and-date with the PS5 one, why go spend almost $2000 - $3000 for a PC setup offering an equivalent experience to a next-gen system when you can just get a PS5 for $400 or so? Especially considering only a small percentage of PC gamers would even have setups by that point on par with next-gen systems without need to upgrade their rig?

All of this is a strategic game, make no mistake. And it’s one Sony are very good at playing. It’s time MS actually stepped up and hit it hard too.

Funny thing is they had exactly that type of spirit during most of the 360's life cycle, but that came by giving the OG Xbox team a ton of room to push for marketing and whatnot, and those guys were genuine gamers. You could tell. And then around the time Kinect game they started leaving altogether or went to different departments.

Very few of them were critical members of the Xbox One team and it showed right off the bat. The way MS marketed that system at the start was abysmal for a games console. They've been attempting to recover ever since and it meant getting some of those clearly responsible, gone. Now I'm not blind to say Spencer didn't have a hand in some of the mess that was XBO in the early years. But, he wasn't the one calling the big shots, that was Don Mattrick.

I would love if some of the OG guys like Seamus Blakely came back, and for however scummy he is at EA, Peter Moore put in a lot of good work on the 360 (and Dreamcast) when it came to marketing and arranging strong deals. I think the division's in good hands with Spencer more or less but it wouldn't hurt getting some of those OG-style bold thinkers back. Dunno where the girl who suggested they reveal the Series X at TGA is at in terms of the Xbox team, but I think she deserves a promotion.

Because honestly if people like that were being heard from the top brass of the division I doubt the Inside Xbox show would've been done the way it was, and their somewhat murky (IMO) messaging as of late would seem a lot more unified and assertive while also clearly shutting down negative talking points (that tend to be in bias of Sony).

Last edited:
I think you go big on Halo, add 3 projects in development with first party studios. A few third party announcements.

Followed by...a couple big new games now playable on Game Pass

Followed by...Cyberpunk as a look at BC features (framerates, 4k) then a few more classics to look at their HDR effect.

Jtibh

Banned
Mate you’re preaching to the converted here. I’m current sat refreshing amazon because the ps5 pre-orders are *rumoured* to go Love in the next 13 minutes. I’m getting both consoles, say one, and won’t miss out.

But the drop feed of shut has been awful, and I hate the fact people out there are still championing THIS over E3. E3 was 100x better than this shit show, it was epic, a fantastic time to enjoy the hobby.
Fuck off.

Pre order now?
Where????
Fuck man hook me up with a link

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
No, they have no choice but to show games. They have literally 7 years of underwhelming shows. This isnt even about winning, they have to show the goods just to stay in the game. I really hope they go all out. Sony needs more competition.
They’re also going to be showing new IP, whatever that could potentially be (sorry, but I’m skeptical).

Orta

Banned
Have to show all their big hitters and hope for the best.

Sony has not only brand loyalty but blind loyalty too.

Reactions: MrS

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Fuck off.

Pre order now?
Where????
Fuck man hook me up with a link

Have you not been following things? There’s some talk that the pre-orders are either live in 1 minute or 30 minutes not sure which but it’s all over the place. No idea if legit mind you, so don’t get too excited. I’m refreshing like mad lol

Edit: it’s 27 minutes so still chance.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Have you not been following things? There’s some talk that the pre-orders are either live in 1 minute or 30 minutes not sure which but it’s all over the place. No idea if legit mind you, so don’t get too excited. I’m refreshing like mad lol

Edit: it’s 27 minutes so still chance.
No havent. At work so kinda hard to get the news.

Amazone you say? World wide? I need amazone canada.
Have 6k to blow.
Lets do this.
Hope its legit

Vasto

Phil already said they felt even better after seeing PS5 hardware and the games. :messenger_beaming:

This thing is 3 rounds.

Round 1 is the hardware and Microsoft won that one. Series X is the better console.

Round 2 is games so July 23rd here we come because nothing Playstation showed looked next gen at all.

Round 3 is price which will come last.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
All eyes will be on them so there couldn't be a better time. If the show is underwhelming, those who are disappointed won't watch the next event in august or sept. They need to bring it and show off their absolute best stuff. No holding back and don't give Sony any easy slam dunks like last time.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
No havent. At work so kinda hard to get the news.

Amazone you say? World wide? I need amazone canada.
Have 6k to blow.
Lets do this.
Hope its legit

IF it’s legit, yes, world wide, same time, 8:30pm UK time.

I’ve got the cash ready for both right now, have done a good while. I don’t know what it will be like, Amazon can be a bit strange with this, it may just be a pre-order, they may take the cash. Who knows. With my One X Scorpio they took the cash right away, but with other consoles they took it on dispatch. I can see them taking the cash to get the pre-order numbers in.

But how much, THAT is the question. You don’t go first like this unless you have a good hard to beat price surely? And MS will want to be competitive if they go second.

Damn, interesting times...

Jtibh

Banned
IF it’s legit, yes, world wide, same time, 8:30pm UK time.

I’ve got the cash ready for both right now, have done a good while. I don’t know what it will be like, Amazon can be a bit strange with this, it may just be a pre-order, they may take the cash. Who knows. With my One X Scorpio they took the cash right away, but with other consoles they took it on dispatch. I can see them taking the cash to get the pre-order numbers in.

But how much, THAT is the question. You don’t go first like this unless you have a good hard to beat price surely? And MS will want to be competitive if they go second.

Damn, interesting times...
Hmmm will check out how much not that it matters but if they take a 1000 bucks and it will be less i wont do it.
Sony store back then did preorders but they are gone.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Hmmm will check out how much not that it matters but if they take a 1000 bucks and it will be less i wont do it.
Sony store back then did preorders but they are gone.

Yeah, I think I’m at a £500 or less, done deal but over? Nah, I think I’ll skip. I have the cash but I’m not stupid.

But all this feels weird, it doesn’t feel right... like in less than 5 minutes I’ll have secured a PS5? With no fanfare? Meh...

Being back E3...

Jtibh

Banned
Yeah, I think I’m at a £500 or less, done deal but over? Nah, I think I’ll skip. I have the cash but I’m not stupid.

But all this feels weird, it doesn’t feel right... like in less than 5 minutes I’ll have secured a PS5? With no fanfare? Meh...

Being back E3...
Yeah kinda takes the joy out of it.

Thats ok we are getting a new car tomorrow so that will make up for it.

But yeah its weird.

This year is fucking weird.

Mister Wolf

If they show more than two exclusive games available for launch this year then they've won the first battle. We already know Halo is one.

93xfan

Banned
They could afford to hold back something if Halo, Fable and Forza all look awesome and they have plenty of new announcements. They may want to hold back something to counter Sony’s counter.

Did sony and Ms have them much back and forth with the ps4 and one? Counter this counter that i can remember it being this annoying honestly.

Jaxcellent

I think Microsoft is having a hard time showing off the difference between XboneX and SeX, How is this going this turn out? show gameplay from the seX and say it runs at 120 frames a sec in native 4k in a mediocre quality internet stream? Ray traced armors in Gear could be cool I guess, i haven't played the last episide, so thats another game i'd like to play, together with the new Halo.

I'm excited for the show, I hope they go all in, Love the competition, and Xbox is at its best in underdog position.
We all benefit from it.
Hell, I have this feeling Cyberpunk will be best on the Sex, so I might buy one to replace my OG Xbone and buy a PS5 when it's more easy available...

Gamezone

Gold Member
Of course many of us is going to be underwhelmed by their show. It's been bad for an entire generation in my opinion, yet Phil Spencer's getting praised by so many. We'll see, but if they want to beat Sony this time, they better bring out the big guns, if there are any.

I'd like to know what qualifies as "showing" as most of their studio acquisitions were done fairly recently and very few of those studios are the type that would be able to have any kind of AAA next gen game ready to go by 2020/2021, if we get cinematic announce trailers for those that's not really showing anything. I know Matt Booty said they were going to focus on high end AA games but again other than their 4 tentpole franchises anything they show is going to have to be new so it's hard to say how big of an impact they will or won't have. I don't think people the people they need to bring back or attract to their console care about anymore MP games or shared world experiences, they need to start upping their game when it comes to single player story driven games or they aren't going to grow much.

tryDEATH

I would prefer they show games that will come out with-in the first year of the console for this show and keep games that are coming out in 22'/23' sometimes in the 1st half of '21 next year when the console is released to give people a better look at what they have in store beyond their 1st year. That just my take on how they should approach it

Banned
If they show more than two exclusive games available for launch this year then they've won the first battle. We already know Halo is one.

let's be super honest... they already won the launch window with Halo alone. all Sony has announced for launch window so far that is anything big is a Spider-Man Spinoff side game

Pallas

Hope they go out hard and fast, giving us something from each studio.
Well, it’s all relative, but here are some big games we know are coming and will likely be announced.
-Obsidian’s AAA fantasy RPG
-Playground’s AAA fantasy RPG (Fable)
-Forza Motorsport 8 (most likely)
- Halo Infinite (confirmed)
- Everwild (announced, likely there)
- Hellblade 2 (announced, maybe there)
-Psychonauts 2 (announced, likely there)
- Double Fine’s second game (only heard from a couple people)
- At least 2 or 3 Xbox Global Publishing games
-Perfect Dark (nobody knows who’s making it, but both The Coalition and The Initiative have been attached at separate times and to varying degrees of reliability, so I’m including it here anyway)

Here are some games that exist that likely won’t be announced here:
-The Initiative’s AAA game
-State of Decay 3/State of Decay MMO (nobody knows which or if both are in dev, so including both here)
-inXile’s AAA UE5 RPG. To far out to be announced. Any announcement will be a logo and CGI trailer. Not worth it to announce
-The Outer Worlds 2/whatever that team is making. Probably to early to announce, but could go either way. Still put it here
-Compulsion’s game
-The Coalition’s next project (likely Gears 6)

I feel like they will reveal everything far enough along to reveal (barring a few things like Double Fine’s game or Perfect Dark) and save things that are close to being ready to reveal for other things this year (Perfect Dark, Outer Worlds 2, Undead’s project)
Don’t forget about Ninja Theory’s other game, Project Mara.

All of MS' momentum is fabricated.
All polls heavily favor Sony, Sony can show the tiniest bit of anything PS5-related and it gains far more traction than anything major shown by MS.

MS has no other option than to show what people can expect at launch and in the next 2 years.
They're dead last and have been seriously lacking throughout this gen compared to Sony and Nintendo.

They're way past the point of being able to play safe.
Ah the usual concern trolling and general doomsayer nonsense

ZehDon

As Nintendo proved with Breath of the Wild, you just need one game if its the right game. If Microsoft have a game of that caliber ready to show off, like how the original Halo was used to show off the original Xbox, then they can afford to hold back other titles. If they don't, then they can't.

Dolomite

I think it would be great for them to show everything. I also understand why that's terrible business sense when Sony is holding back more content to release in the following month. Perhaps they can fire off exclusives and surprise IPs now then drop Lockhart megaton in August

Have to show all their big hitters and hope for the best.

Sony has not only brand loyalty but blind loyalty too.
Maybe you should consider where the loyalty originates. Because Loyalty is earned, especially for PlayStation where most of its customers are not Japanese. No one is buying Playstation because it is owned by their countrymen, they buy it because of what they know from the past what the brand offers.

MS is telling customers they are doing something entirely different to normal this time. Which is fine, but don't expect people to jump in until we see the results.

TalentedMrJ

They better knock it out of the park.
In a perfect world we get nothing but new games aside from Halo, which also needs time off.
Perfect Dark, Fable, and a few surprises no one saw coming.
They had an indie showcase recently so I'm guessing they won't show more of those.
Don't care about price as long as they have games to go with the power.
They shit the bed I'm going with Sony.

Dolomite

I don't think they're in a position to hold anything much longer. PS4 has more than double the install base of xbox one and unless Sony screw things up in a E3 2006 way, PS5 has the momentum of last generation. Not only that but, right now Xbox is sharing most of its exclusives with PC which means the logical thing to do if you are on a budget is to buy a PS5 for the exclusives and juice up your PC for microsoft games and multiplatforms.

Microsoft has to show something that people can only get on that platform if they want to compete with PS5.
Gaf keeps trying to force this narrative but it's not a thing. No one is going to spend +$1500. Building or upgrading a PC to equal specs of the XSX just to play xbox games. That's counterproductive.
Steam stats show that most of the PC community games on very mid ware parts(many low end PCs as well). That PC master race is about 5-10%. Some people may, but the average on the fence Joe would buy both PS5 and XSX before spending potentially more than that building a PC to play xbox games

Last edited:
Gaf keeps trying to force this narrative but it's not a thing. No one is going to spend +$1500. Building or upgrading a PC to equal specs of the XSX just to play xbox games. That's counterproductive.
Steam stats show that most of the PC community games on very mid ware parts(many low end PCs as well). That PC master race is about 5-10%. Some people may, but the average on the fence Joe would buy both PS5 and XSX before spending potentially more than that building a PC to play xbox games
I am not sure upgrades are necessary. In the short term Seris X exclusives would also run on XBoxOne, which means you wouldn't even need an SSD on your PC to run the ports. And depending on how weak Lockhart is, there is no need to spend 1000 dollars on upgrades just to run Xbox next gen games. A normal SSD would probably do the job.

SonicJams

I hate to say and I really really really don't want to offend anyone by this, but even a presentation of all first party games Microsoft has released in the last 7 years bundled in one event would be a disappointment.

BUT times are different now and I think Microsoft should fire as hard as they can with everything they got and then some. They have to be aggressive in every possible way including price, release date, consumer friendliness etc.

A lot of the success of the Xbox Series X is (imho) going to be the price and how good Halo Infinite is. Halo infinite can't be a 7.5/10 good looking game. It needs to be so good that it actually is a GOTY title contendet this year.
If Microsoft believes in the game then we will see a big 10+ minute gameplay demonstration next week.

An an xbox one owner, I agree.

Last edited:

Xplainin

Banned
They go all out.
They still have Lockhart to announce at a later show as well as the Series X price.
Decisions about wether people buy a new console arnt made a month out from release, but from the hype the console has had months out.
Its a weight of reasons, not just one show a month out from release.

octiny

Banned
Of course they can. They have plenty of other events after this one. Blowing their wad in one load w/ nothing to counter makes absolutely zero sense.

TalentedMrJ

Of course they can. They have plenty of other events after this one. Blowing their wad in one load w/ nothing to counter makes absolutely zero sense.

This is true but how many "big AAA" games need to be shown to keep gamers interested?
I've been on Halo since Combat Evolved. Solid franchise but I'd say I'm fatigued but will still enjoy it.
Not into sim racers so Forza Motorsport does nothing for me.

That leaves the Perfect Dark and Fable that will rival The Witcher rumors. Nail these with 1 surprise game and I'm sold.
Kinda hyped for The Meduim. Blair Witch was ok. That is the same studio I think???

Ellery

An an xbox one owner, i 100% agree with the disappointing 7 years... But I'm hoping Micorsoft go John Wick next week!

It was a bit of a hyperbole, I really loved both Ori games and I enjoyed Forza a lot and Microsoft has a lot more games that are not necessarily for me, but are good games.

I think the 7 years are more the fault of Don Mattrick than Phil Spencer, because it takes years to make games and Don simply didn't invest enough in making Xbox games.

The next 7 years should be a lot better and I genuinely hope the greatness starts with Halo Infinite. I would love nothing more in the gaming market than Playstation, Microsoft and Nintendo having a fierce competition for every single costumer by making good games that people want to play.

I said yes because xbox gamers are used to not have them. Phil will come on stage talk about BC, show somenew gamepass games say 12Tf Navi 2.3 + RayTracing to get his people all excited!

DavidGzz

Nope they could show two to three big exclusives and a bunch of third-party stuff and they'd be good. Then after PlayStation's next show they can put on another one. It's not going to be very hard to compete with PlayStations first showing anyway.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
They are not in the same position as Sony though. Sony has proven that they deliver in terms of exclusives as well as new IPs. This gen alone they have delivered 15 new IPs as well as reboots and sequels that were all received very well.And that is without even having any competition. They have people's trust that they will also deliver next gen so they didn't had to show all their guns in their previous show.

MS however hasn't shown anything and people are tired of all the promises for big upcoming games in the past 6 years. They also had a very underwhelming show so they really need to show all their big cards if they want to gain people's trust for the future of xbox.

Nope. Its put up or shut up time. They've been playing from behind since 2009 when they shifted their focus from actual games to kinect, tv, and sports. I miss 2005-2009 Xbox, when show after show was just badass games. I hope this upcoming reveal will be their return to form after 11 years. Just having Halo and Forza isn't going to cut it anymore.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Nope. Its put up or shut up time. They've been playing from behind since 2009 when they shifted their focus from actual games to kinect, tv, and sports. I miss 2005-2009 Xbox, when show after show was just badass games. I hope this upcoming reveal will be their return to form after 11 years. Just having Halo and Forza isn't going to cut it anymore.
The concern trolling over halo, forza and gears only is like getting way over the top. Im sure inexile. Obsidian entertainment, double fine, playground RPG studios are all totally doing gears, forza and halo games. I hear inexile is moving to a forza factory first game will be out in a few years forza wastelands ffs people time to come up with some new concern trolling.

JCK75

I mean they don't release until November so if the showing is good I don't see how the one month wait is going to hurt anything.

The concern trolling over halo, forza and gears only is like getting way over the top. Im sure inexile. Obsidian entertainment, double fine, playground RPG studios are all totally doing gears, forza and halo games. I hear inexile is moving to a forza factory first game will be out in a few years forza wastelands ffs people time to come up with some new concern trolling.

Lol its not concern trolling. Its just aside from Halo, Gears, and Forza, what other great AAA games have they put out this gen? Sea of Thieves, ReCore, Quantum Break..? My point is they need to start reaching the Sony level of quality and consistency with their release output. Its been laughably bad.

Its fine and dandy if they continue to acquire studios, but it doesn't mean anything without actual games to show for it. I mean they acquired Rare over ten years ago and what have they done? Kinect bs and Sea of Thieves.. Rare was top tier in the 90s.

I hope they come with magazines full of great games to shoot off, so don't misunderstand my perspective. The gaming industry is better off when MS actually puts forth an effort.

Top Bottom