• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer discussion at work

Wimbledon

Had the weirdest day at work i had a colleague who explained 3 different situations, with police officers that he had in his life.

One was him being held a gun point twice and another wrongly accused, and he explained in enough detail about those situations he was in the right and the officers were absolutely in the wrong in all 3 situations.

So usually when im at work when i have down time i like to watch johnny five o or Audit the Audit.

Both channels

and

so everyone was kinda in discussion about there experiences so i brought up the channels that i usually watch, and how they try to showcase the importance of knowing your rights in your state, and how to speak with law enforcement and how your able navigate through those encounters. I never got to fully explain it though.

My colleague, i don't know if he was listening to or he had a brain fart or whatever. But he for some reason went off , I don't know why but he was making it seem like i was denying his expedience with police. He was denying that some officers have a lot of pride and ego , and he fully believed that every situation is racially motivated and that i'm a sheltered young man who doesn't know anything about the world (were both black). I'm not going to lie i was sheltered and all of my experiences with police have been good. But i don't understand what that had to do with the videos i brought up.

But here's the thing i wasn't denying his experience or the situations that he was involved in, i was just explaining what these youtube channels teach and how important it is know your rights and that most people don't know them. Heck i try to take time out of my day to learn.

But it just felt awkward , i wasn't arguing with him but he took it like i offended him , but i wasn't disagreeing with him. The silence in the room and among the group was deafening and i ended up fumbling over my words trying to explain to him that i wasn't denying his experience.

I'm confused and really annoyed about what happened, i don't know what i did wrong?

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Maybe he felt stupid as he didn't know his rights and felt embarrassed that it only takes a few minutes watching YouTube videos to get clued up? I certainly don't think you did anything wrong though. Shrugs.

Wimbledon

Maybe he felt stupid as he didn't know his rights and felt embarrassed that it only takes a few minutes watching YouTube videos to get clued up? I certainly don't think you did anything wrong though. Shrugs.

It was was the most bizarre encounter I've had with anyone. The silence in that room was so deafening right after.

It was like we were having 2 different conversations. He kept bringing it back to him and what happened to him , while i was just talking about how interesting these channels are.

Had the weirdest day at work i had a colleague who explained 3 different situations, with police officers that he had in his life.

One was him being held a gun point twice and another wrongly accused, and he explained in enough detail about those situations he was in the right and the officers were absolutely in the wrong in all 3 situations.

So usually when im at work when i have down time i like to watch johnny five o or Audit the Audit.

Both channels

and

so everyone was kinda in discussion about there experiences so i brought up the channels that i usually watch, and how they try to showcase the importance of knowing your rights in your state, and how to speak with law enforcement and how your able navigate through those encounters. I never got to fully explain it though.

My colleague, i don't know if he was listening to or he had a brain fart or whatever. But he for some reason went off , I don't know why but he was making it seem like i was denying his expedience with police. He was denying that some officers have a lot of pride and ego , and he fully believed that every situation is racially motivated and that i'm a sheltered young man who doesn't know anything about the world (were both black). I'm not going to lie i was sheltered and all of my experiences with police have been good. But i don't understand what that had to do with the videos i brought up.

But here's the thing i wasn't denying his experience or the situations that he was involved in, i was just explaining what these youtube channels teach and how important it is know your rights and that most people don't know them. Heck i try to take time out of my day to learn.

But it just felt awkward , i wasn't arguing with him but he took it like i offended him , but i wasn't disagreeing with him. The silence in the room and among the group was deafening and i ended up fumbling over my words trying to explain to him that i wasn't denying his experience.

I'm confused and really annoyed about what happened, i don't know what i did wrong?

Well it sounds like from his view he felt attacked. I have many black friends, and they all have had different experiences with the police. Some like you, and some like him.

So what I'm saying is, he felt attacked, or like if he tried this stuff it probably wouldn't work he feels. Hopefully he learned that from actual experiences, and not just from the wokenet.

So anyway, that's why it was so weird.

If I say "hey man, look at this, know your states rights it'll help you", depending on how a few factors that can come off as helpful knowledge, or maybe he already put up the defense mechanism as soon as you said police.

In my opinion you should keep working on him, break him down a little bit, and then see if he'll take some knowledge. If that's worth your time.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have been racially profiled multiple times. One time when I was 17, police officers stopped me at a parking lot near a baseball park. According to them, I looked suspicious (I shaved my head and I am brown). They forced me inside their car and yelled at me multiple times the question “Do you live in Compton?”. They didn’t release me until they saw a church contact address notebook I had in my pocket which helped them verify my identity.

When I was 21, I was walking at 6AM from the Greyhound station to my college classes. A cop claimed I looked like a suspect and performed a full search on asked me for ID’s for identity verification. He held me for a fucking hour and made me late to class.

I don’t think all cops are shit, but when you are brown and live among white people, you seem to run into plenty of them.

Nester99

These is a big difference between racial profiling and police making contact with someone who matches the description of a suspect

Gargus

Banned
These is a big difference between racial profiling and police making contact with someone who matches the description of a suspect

Or.......

Where I live I know quite a few cops from different cities and counties. My mom was a sheriff, my grandma had the only grocery store in the area when my mom was little so they knew all the cops, and when I got out of the army I finished police academy and worked at the jail while waiting for placement in the department although I never made it as I ended up with another career.

And I've never seen nor heard of a cop anywhere around here racially profiling anyone. But I have heard countless times people yelling they were racially profiled. It's funny, the only people who scream racial profiling are the people who get in trouble and are black. And they all act innocent and won't ever admit or think maybe they did something to attract attention.

So from my experience I will say this. Around here they stop black people in bad to semi bad areas because in those areas there are a lot of black people and they commit the most crimes in those areas. It isn't racial profiling at all. Just like the area I live in is more country and the people around that cause trouble tend to be poor white people, so if you're white and drive a beat up shitty car you can guarantee they are watching you because they are the people who get in trouble the most. When you have people actually committing crimes and they are mostly made up of a certain group of course the fucking cops are going to watch them, they would be dumb ass shit not to.

Say you live in an area and for actual crimes 80% of them are committed by blacks and 20% whites. If you see someone that looks suspicious, is out fucking around late, driving a little funny and it's a black guy of course you're going to check them out. Its hedging your bets is what it is. Cops on the whole aren't sitting around saying "I can't wait to fuck with the blacks today".

Meanwhile a black guy I used to work with, his black wife, black mom and black teenage kids live about 45 minutes away in a fairly nice area where it's about 50/50 black and white and he says the police are nice as shit to everyone because they dont have much crime in their area so the cops have no one to keep an eye on because there aren't a majority of certain people who commit crimes.

Hell if anyone gets racially profiled its Mexicans because no one likes them, but they know who they are and keep a low profile.

So black people. Yes you have the right to talk like a ghetto moron, you can wear your pants down around like a prison slut does, can play your hooptie bass at 200 decibels, you can talk very loud and scream about how it ain't illegal to act like an inconsiderate and idiot asshole, you can act like you're a badass, and look like a thug. Yes you can do all those things (white people can also) and it isn't illegal, but you're going to have to face facts you will attract attention to yourself and it will not be good attention. You act and look a certain way you will get treated like you act and look like a certain way.

godhandiscen

Yeah, I must look like such a suspect all the time. My understanding is that there are shit people in any profession, and I have ran into them.

Both channels

and

Those first two videos were great. The third one I only watched a bit of, and I had seen enough. That one seemed needlessly insulting and confrontational with the police. Almost like he wanted things to escalate, which I didn't get at all from the other two videos. Reminded me of this skit:

As for your question, it's an issue that people feel passionate about, so anyone who isn't immediately agreeing with them is not going to be listened to. At that point, you're likely to be having two different conversations, and there's going to be a lot of interference. It can be hard to get past that and even talk about the same aspects of the situation, much less get them to understand why you have a different perspective than they do.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
OP, we all know this type. I don’t think you did anything wrong. My take is that you were trying to add to the conversation, and show how people can protect themselves in the case of an officer drunk on power and abusing it.

That’s very bit as important as talking about such abuses in the first place.

Unfortunately, some people are hair-trigger sensitive to anything interrupting their woe-is-me narrative, which is the impression I get from him.

Keep informing. Some people want to wallow in victimhood, and there’s nothing you can do about that. Sane people, on the other hand, greatly appreciate tools that can stop a regrettable situation altogether.

ph33rknot

Banned
I have been racially profiled multiple times. One time when I was 17, police officers stopped me at a parking lot near a baseball park. According to them, I looked suspicious (I shaved my head and I am brown). They forced me inside their car and yelled at me multiple times the question “Do you live in Compton?”. They didn’t release me until they saw a church contact address notebook I had in my pocket which helped them verify my identity.

When I was 21, I was walking at 6AM from the Greyhound station to my college classes. A cop claimed I looked like a suspect and performed a full search on asked me for ID’s for identity verification. He held me for a fucking hour and made me late to class.

I don’t think all cops are shit, but when you are brown and live among white people, you seem to run into plenty of them.
Same I'm not evil I'm just drawn that way

Cleared_Hot

Soveriegn citizens are retarded. Also, dont be a fucking douchebag. Know your rights sure. But as long as you arent guilty of anything, you shouldnt have a problem just being polite and cooperating with the police on a routine traffic stop. And if you were doing something wrong (ie speeding) just be upfront, honest, and apologize. If he lets you off great. You get a ticket well you fucking earned it. Dont be confrontational, dont say sarcastic shit, it aint your time to play a battle of whits. Its just a routine stupid situation and you can talk shit on twitter or the gaf later.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned

Wow, those are some bullshit situations. Sorry that happened to you man, I’d be super pissed if that was me.

Do you mind if I ask where you were when these happened? I’m curious if these are places where the cops are generally considered shitty or not.

godhandiscen

Wow, those are some bullshit situations. Sorry that happened to you man, I’d be super pissed if that was me.

Do you mind if I ask where you were when these happened? I’m curious if these are places where the cops are generally considered shitty or not.
The first one was in Santa Fe Springs, which is a calm, part of the LA country.
The second one was in San Luis Obispo, also a chill town.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
Might as well move this into politics thread. It will just be more of "they need better training, need to be held accountable, etc"

Having a few good friends and even family members that are cops, you get a different perspective. Not that you really even need one to know the media narrative is skewed for an agenda. Do you really think the same people get stopped over and over again for no reason whatsoever? Cops do this job every day, and know what to look for. They are also severely limited in what they can do anymore. Many times, they don't even want to deal with stuff because of the backlash.

ph33rknot

Banned
Might as well move this into politics thread. It will just be more of "they need better training, need to be held accountable, etc"

Having a few good friends and even family members that are cops, you get a different perspective. Not that you really even need one to know the media narrative is skewed for an agenda. Do you really think the same people get stopped over and over again for no reason whatsoever? Cops do this job every day, and know what to look for. They are also severely limited in what they can do anymore. Many times, they don't even want to deal with stuff because of the backlash.
If they know what they're looking for why they stopping me I've never been arrested I have no criminal history

Top Bottom