• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Unite MOBA Announced for Mobile and Nintendo Switch

Roufianos

I mean, I didn't even expect a new mainline game anytime soon but they hyped this up as something significant. Should have been revealed last week with the rest of the shovelware.

ryan13ts

A complete and utter failure on GF's part to read their own audience, as usual. Making it a "big announcement", have people wait a week... only to reveal a MOBA title that absolutely no one asked for, that looks subpar even by MOBA standards. And a collab project with Tencent, who will in no uncertain terms make the monetization as predatory as possible, for something that's mostly aimed at children.

Just... ugh. I was already set up for disappointment, since I was expecting Let's Go Johto (and I really didn't like the first let's go), but now that would have been amazing compared to.... this. What a joke.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
They could've handled this better...

But I don't hate it. Seems kinda cool. Unfortunately it seems the game will be hated on and left for dead.

Eevee86

They made us wait a fucking week for this shitty LoL clone? They could’ve just announced it last week. No DP remakes. Nothing decent. Just this shitty looking moba.

you done fucked it up.
Guessing Tencent didn't want to get upstaged by a new Pokemon Snap.

Kumomeme

people surely will call this garbage..but if anyone used to play custom map in old frozen throne warcraft...this is probably moba that people never knew they wanted...i mean...this might be trash....but this is easy crash grab for sure..

also, did the pokemon evolve when level up? cool hahahaha

i wonder if other franchice will follow this step in future

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
They made us wait a fucking week for this shitty LoL clone? They could’ve just announced it last week. No DP remakes. Nothing decent. Just this shitty looking moba.

you done fucked it up.
How many billions do you think this fuck up will earn?

Fake

With all those possible microtransactions, cosmetics and lootbox? Maybe beyond billions. Pokemon fans are not the smart fanbase btw, will spend money in this game like no end.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

Maybe more than EA? With all the sweet microtransations and paytowin tatics for little kids and their parents credit cards...they can even smell money.

Does that mean EA is good? Pokemon is basically turning into EA.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Maybe more than EA? With all the sweet microtransations and paytowin tatics for little kids and their parents credit cards...they can even smell money.

Does that mean EA is good? Pokemon is basically turning into EA.
I don’t play Pokemon, and I don’t do microtransactions, so I can’t say too much.

From what I have seen of other MOBA, they don’t seem to rely on microtransactions? Is that accurate? I really have no idea.

My post is based simply how popular MOBA are, and the fact that Pokemon is the highest earning media franchise if all time. Even without microtransactions, this thing is gonna earn hand, bank over fist.

Saber

Gold Member
I don’t play Pokemon, and I don’t do microtransactions, so I can’t say too much.

From what I have seen of other MOBA, they don’t seem to rely on microtransactions? Is that accurate? I really have no idea.

My post is based simply how popular MOBA are, and the fact that Pokemon is the highest earning media franchise if all time. Even without microtransactions, this thing is gonna earn hand, bank over fist.

My answer is simple: TENCENT.

I know how popular Mobas are. Does that means Pokemon should go Battle Royal or shooter because of popularity?

Not trying to ask you just to play smartass or anything(sorry if it looks that way). I'm just showing that maybe Pokemon Company realize how dumb their fanbase is a can go abroad with any cheap rip-off games in the hope of milking more green stuff.

Last edited:

Fake

??

I'm seeing over 140,000.

Were there are lot more before?

Sry, I mistake the video. Was the trailer, not the conference. People on the commentary are whining about 'dislikes' getting considarable down.

Can be either the channel removing dislikes or the channel owner reuploading the same video for refreshing the like/dislike ratio.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
??

I'm seeing over 140,000.

Were there are lot more before?

Yes, around 150k

But the one which people notice the big difference was Pokemon Unite video, since the difference now is around 3k. They might have re-uploaded that video on purpose.

Last edited:

emic

i thought this over and it gives me hope for some kinda team rpg for mobile so i think that this might not be a bad idea in some retrospect , i too wish there was a new tgc game tho , least we get pokemon **snap*** queue the sound .. lol

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Pokémon Unite is a new venture that sees Pikachu, Charizard, and more duel it out for the first time in a MOBA-style of game. But is it fun to play? Join Liana, Van Aken, and Stadnik as they take you through a match of the new beta and discuss what works and what doesn't!

TwiztidElf

I made it to level 10 and played as every Pokemon in the Japanese Switch beta test.
I really enjoyed it. This is going to be huge.
I'm a bit busy at work right now, but I can add some more thoughts later.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

not long from now, we're going to get to play two major mainline Pokemon games in quick succession when Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl and Pokemon Legends: Arceus launch in the space of around two months.

Before that happens though, Pokemon still has some more stuff on offer, and soon, will be delivering Pokemon Unite. And as its launch approaches, here, we're going to talk about the most crucial details you should know about the game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Pokemon franchise is having its first go at the MOBA genre with its new game, Pokemon Unite, coming to Nintendo Switch and Mobile devices. Here are 7 things that you should know about to get ready to jump into Unite Battles on the Aeos Islands! Many questions like when is Pokemon Unite Coming Out, or what is Pokemon League of Legends are being searched for so let us help you find the answers to your questions about Pokemon Unite Switch!

Last edited:
I have no experience with the MOBA genre but I’m enjoying the game. As far as I can tell the monetisation is fair - if you can’t wait to unlock a specific character through grinding you can buy it, cosmetics too.

TwiztidElf

There definitely is a slight P2W element in the held items.
Eh. With HotS being essentially dead, this is my casual Moba-Lite of choice.

I have no interest in the unfun stress and toxicity of dota or lol.
I still remember my last ARAM match where I won the game for our team, and I still copped a torrent of abuse from my fuckhead team. I immediately uninstalled.
Fuck lol.

I'm cool with a MOBA Pokemon game, I think thats not a bad idea at all.

But by god does the attacks from the Pokemon characters look really generic and uninspiring.

It really makes me appreciate the existence of Mobile Legends, least they try - over time - to be more unique, as tempting AF their monetization schemes may be.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
First session I enjoyed it, end of the second session I uninstalled.

Not dealing with dumb cunts or people who AFK on the regular. Winning isn't everything but I'd like to lose when the team at least tried so I'm good.

Top Bottom