• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sword and Shield Expansion Pass announced

theclaw135

Banned
Supporting the games is a step in a positive direction. They deserve better more than bugfix patches, or being stuffed with more and more Pokemon as the whiners want.
I'll hold my judgment on the price. It remains to be seen how worthwhile this is.

They already ruined the design language
Pokemon used to be beasts, creatures that you train for battling

iMxC4Uf.jpg

but they keep trying to pander to twitter and making designs like this:

gUXmaWe.png

KBrVFeI.jpg

vGF0Yeh.jpg

aYzx1Qa.jpg

They're beauty and the beast creatures, or they're lazy filler or they're a sign that pokemon is in the wrong hands. They aren't pokemon.

Litwick is awesome tho, nothing less than First gen mons imo, could have easily been among the 1st gen monsters

Ryu Kaiba

PS: Regarding pokemon designs, they have to adapt with the times. Dragon Ball Z angry eyes and jagged edges/points may have been cool in the 90's and therefore may be cool to those who first played red/blue around then, but these design choices don't resonate with kids today. Furthermore, as more Pokemon are made it becomes necessary to dig deeper for inspiration and as a result plenty of the new designs actually have really fascinating backgrounds!

Those design language of Gen 1 is excellent and what helped carry it above all the other monster shows at the time. The cutesymon style of today is just them trying to find another Pikachu.
"Dig deeper for inspirations" :messenger_tears_of_joy: On my desk right now I see 3 future Pokemon, a cup of juice a, pair of scissors and a keyboard.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They already ruined the design language
Pokemon used to be beasts, creatures that you train for battling

iMxC4Uf.jpg

but they keep trying to pander to twitter and making designs like this:

gUXmaWe.png

KBrVFeI.jpg

vGF0Yeh.jpg

aYzx1Qa.jpg

They're beauty and the beast creatures, or they're lazy filler or they're a sign that pokemon is in the wrong hands. They aren't pokemon.

This continues to be really dumb. There tons of cute/non-beast like designs even in Gen 1. And of course you have to turn to fan art to play up your point about them being "beasts" or imposing monsters.

Ryu Kaiba

This continues to be really dumb. There tons of cute/non-beast like designs even in Gen 1. And of course you have to turn to fan art to play up your point about them being "beasts" or imposing monsters.
The art is just pictures of pokemon, a set of keys a candle and an apple are still dumb thoughtless designs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The art is just pictures of pokemon, a set of keys a candle and an apple are still dumb thoughtless designs.

You don't think any of these guys fall into that same category? They all look like cool beasts to be trained for battle to you?

map_img_659014_1565820079.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You don't think any of these guys fall into that same category? They all look like cool beasts to be trained for battle to you?

map_img_659014_1565820079.jpg
I think the point is most of the new design are looks like man made objects like candles and keys which to me doesn't make lot of sense. most of the old design based on animals which to me looked much more natural.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think the point is most of the new design are looks like man made objects like candles and keys which to me doesn't make lot of sense. most of the old design based on animals which to me looked much more natural.

I'm not seeing it... especially "most" being designed after man-made objects. Here are the last two gens.

ab2bcae272b92e80ac81bba9a305ce5ce617a800r1-920-552v2_hq.jpg

galar_pokemon.png

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Been like that since Gen VI. You know they stopped trying. Some of the designs are still good though, I honestly think the most boring designs some from Gen VI personally.
Looked it up

Gen 1: 151
Gen 2: 100
Gen 3: 135
Gen 4: 107
Gen 5: 156
Gen 6: 72
Gen 7: 88
Gen 8: 84

It's a good thing all these new PKMN are fucking top quality mons eh?

Flintty

Seems good and decent to me.

Id much rather do this and explore new content to get new Pokemon than head to an eb games for a timed release of a Pokemon etc.

Plus its always nice to play new Pokemon, and i really enjoyed sword and shield and liked a lot of the Pokemon.

Same here. Sword is my second Pokemon game but the only one to really grab me and I love it so far. I was actually pleased about an expansion to let me continue the save. I guess I’m part of the problem 🤷🏻‍♂️

RaidenGuy

Neo Member
Definitely excited for the dlc, my only complaint is that I have to pay monthly for online on switch to trade pokemon online!

Those design language of Gen 1 is excellent and what helped carry it above all the other monster shows at the time. The cutesymon style of today is just them trying to find another Pikachu.
"Dig deeper for inspirations" :messenger_tears_of_joy: On my desk right now I see 3 future Pokemon, a cup of juice a, pair of scissors and a keyboard.
Trying to find another Pikachu is exactly what any company with any business sense should strive for. He makes them multimillions.

If you can make juice, scissors (technically already a pokemon) and a keyboard into pokemon then I'd say that's pretty inspired. Plus they wouldn't be the first examples of item-based pokemon; that would be magnemite, magneton, voltorb and electrode.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If the main map is England and Scotland, where is the Isle of Armor supposed to be?
have you seen how many islands there around scotland/england?

united-kingdom-map.gif

Ireland / Northern Ireland
Isle of Man
Anglesey
Isle of Wight
Arran
Islay
Mull
Skye
Rum
Orkney

i can't be arsed listing them all. It could be any of them. Most likely are Isle of Man or one of many off the Scottish west coast.

Bryank75

Banned
have you seen how many islands there around scotland/england?

united-kingdom-map.gif

Ireland / Northern Ireland
Isle of Man
Anglesey
Isle of Wight
Arran
Islay
Mull
Skye
Rum
Orkney

i can't be arsed listing them all. It could be any of them. Most likely are Isle of Man or one of many off the Scottish west coast.
Of course, I've sailed to most of them...

Top Bottom