• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet sold 10 million copies in 3 days

Doczu

So creating a completely open world where you could feasibly do the content in any order you like, having everything be completely 3D, nearly 100+ new pokemon with new animations for returning mon, new features such as picnics and titan battles, having *any* pokemon in the game follow you whenever you want and can freely battle instantly outside of traditional battles, numerous QoL features such as the ability to access the box from anywhere, remembering moves anywhere, and changing nicknames whenever you like (all things requested for years by the fanbase), this is all doing nothing?

GameFreak deserves a lot of criticism for the continuous poor technical quality of their games and the complete lack of QA they have clearly shown, especially here. The poor framerate, low texture quality - all things that desperately and definitely need to be fixed.

But trying to suggest that they are doing *nothing* is a bit silly and just pure hyperbole.

It's new for pokemon. Saying that they did no work would imply that they just copied and pasted Sword and Shield and slapped a new name on it, like a new Fifa game. Creating an open world from scratch is difficult, doesn't matter how many other games have done it.

And the open world isn't barebones. I've been playing for hours and there's still stuff I haven't found.
So what it's new for Pokemon? Many companies made the switch to open world games and they made them at least servicable on a technical level.
Please top making excuses. The game might be good, but it's a technical garbage

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They literally didn't make any excuses whatsoever and even said it's technical garbage in the posts you reply to though. You're arguing completely different things. They responded to posts saying they're doing "nothing" as if a new Pokemon is just a new Fifa with the same exact content and systems by presenting exactly what makes them actually new games, and you respond by basically agreeing with the part they said "GameFreak deserves a lot of criticism for the continuous poor technical quality of their games and the complete lack of QA they have clearly shown, especially here. The poor framerate, low texture quality - all things that desperately and definitely need to be fixed" yet you pretend you disagree to excuses made for exactly what they say is inexcusable and needs to be addressed. Wut? Can you (and all those attacking them for similar) even read?

Just thought I'd pop in the thread and see what's going on, never played or liked Pokemon games much and have thought since the 3DS days GameFreak should hire Level 5 to do the engine (maybe help in content) for them while they work on the rest, kinda like Square had them for Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
They literally didn't make any excuses whatsoever and even said it's technical garbage in the posts you reply to though. You're arguing completely different things. They responded to posts saying they're doing "nothing" as if a new Pokemon is just a new Fifa by presenting exactly what makes them actually new, and you respond by basically agreeing with the part they said "GameFreak deserves a lot of criticism for the continuous poor technical quality of their games and the complete lack of QA they have clearly shown, especially here. The poor framerate, low texture quality - all things that desperately and definitely need to be fixed" yet you pretend you disagree to excuses made for exactly what they say needs to be addressed. Wut? Can you read?

Unless you provide me something to disagree about doing nothing, yes what they did is nothing. Its like I said in my last post, you guys are praising a snail just because they entered in the open world market in plain 2022. All their "features" are either nothing more of quality changes or already existing concepts(like Titans, which are Toten or Dynamax, just streteched pokemon models. Something Skyrim makes). Pokemon models? XY and US/UM already had all models coded for their time and they were on a bloody 3DS. Sword /Shield and Lets Go already has following Pokemon, so using it as a new feature is dirty.

GF were never up to the task in the first place, I think they were so much defensive about using portables limitations as an excuse that forgot they are not even that much of big deal as coders.
Just to remember, they don't do Pokemon models. Creature Inc does. Alot of old concepts are still in their games in terms of data, but they are not used at all. Are just there to consume space.

mcjmetroid

I was watching this an hour ago.
Nintendo fans are really something else. if Sony released today something that looks like a ps3 game I would say fuck it and just buy an Xbox.
I really hope Switch 2 is another weak ass console that will run next DOOM at 30fps 720p in year 2027 lol

Hey don't paint us all with the same brush.
Pokemon fans more like.

Renan76

Neo Member
How fans describe the open world of Pokémon Scarlet/Violet:

img_gallery5_big_01_en.jpg

How it really is:

3rObiEu.jpeg

SteadyEvo

I was watching this an hour ago.
Nintendo fans are really something else. if Sony released today something that looks like a ps3 game I would say fuck it and just buy an Xbox.
I really hope Switch 2 is another weak ass console that will run next DOOM at 30fps 720p in year 2027 lol

Understandable since Sony/MS share a majority of the same games minus exclusives.

Nintendo can only be had at Nintendo. And I think their fans appreciate the “old school” graphics. Games chugging along 🥲

Spaceman292

Banned
So what it's new for Pokemon? Many companies made the switch to open world games and they made them at least servicable on a technical level.
It's got technical problems, but your original post said that GF did nothing, which is clearly not true. If anything they did too much and couldn't polish it.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
At this point, Microsoft and Sony MUST be having internal conversations of:

"We invest hundreds of millions of dollars into our AAA games and spend 4,5,6+ years on development time. Nintendo invests a fraction of that capital with half or 1/3rd the development time & sells twice as much. How can we roll back production values and retain sales in our ecosystem?"

This is what I worry a bit about as far as Nintendo's impact on the gaming industry goes. That it pulls the industry back from pursuing cutting edge technology and visuals, pulls the industry back from lightning fast performance and reliability, and instead starts redirecting the industry towards simpler, more accessible, cheaper to produce games.

Last edited:

Doczu

Can you imagine how the Next Pokémon game with Monolithic Soft handling the tech going to look?

xenoblade-xenoblade-x.gif
This game here is a technical masterpiece on the Wii U. It has it's limitations like no collision with vehicles in the city etc, but on a technical level it just rocks.

"We invest hundreds of millions of dollars into our AAA games and spend 4,5,6+ years on development time. Nintendo invests a fraction of that capital with half or 1/3rd the development time & sells twice as much. How can we roll back production values and retain sales in our ecosystem?"

This is what I worry a bit about as far as Nintendo's impact on the gaming industry goes. That it pulls the industry back from pursuing cutting edge technology and visuals, pulls the industry back from lightning fast performance and reliability, and instead starts redirecting the industry towards simpler, more accessible, cheaper to produce games.
Don't worry. The target audience for these games would lose their shit (literally) if GoW was such a mess

Doczu

They literally didn't make any excuses whatsoever and even said it's technical garbage in the posts you reply to though. You're arguing completely different things. They responded to posts saying they're doing "nothing"

It's got technical problems, but your original post said that GF did nothing, which is clearly not true. If anything they did too much and couldn't polish it.
So what? So what they add stuff when the base of the game isn't functioning well?

I am a big fan of Pokemon from gen 1, can't wait for my kids to start their journey.
It's just that on a technical level it's such a mess that i opted out after X and Y on the 3DS. I had to jailbreak my n3DS to force the extra power to smooth out the framerate issues.
That's just bad coding, why won't they start with getting an even framerate and then experiment what can be done/added?

People blast other games for dropping single frames but Nintendo (and Pokemon to be precise) get a free fucking pass.

Spaceman292

Banned
So what? So what they add stuff when the base of the game isn't functioning well?

I am a big fan of Pokemon from gen 1, can't wait for my kids to start their journey.
It's just that on a technical level it's such a mess that i opted out after X and Y on the 3DS. I had to jailbreak my n3DS to force the extra power to smooth out the framerate issues.
That's just bad coding, why won't they start with getting an even framerate and then experiment what can be done/added?

People blast other games for dropping single frames but Nintendo (and Pokemon to be precise) get a free fucking pass.
Just because the frame rate is shaky, doesn't mean the base game isn't functioning well. It's perfectly possible for a game to be great while having bad performance. When Shadow of the Colossus was released no one bitched and review bombed it because the frame rate was bad.

Hilarious how some people call themselves 'pokemon fans' when they've hated it and refused to play it for like ten years.

Hero_Select

And that's why you people still getting such subpar efforts... Keep rewarding Nintendo with sales in face of awful products... Pokémon Violet and Scarlet are just lazy efforts.
As a Pokemon fan who absolutely HATED Sword/Shield, disliked Sun/Moon, skipped Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon entirely I came into this game ready to hate it.

And I don't. It's a legitimately fun game that is let down by it's performance but as someone who regularly goes back to old 3D games the frame drops on a game like this don't bug me much.

It's a shame because if this game ran better I could easily see it receiving 9/10 universally. I don't think it's lazy efforts, I think Game Freak just doesn't have the ability to create well-polished 3D environments.

Doczu

Just because the frame rate is shaky, doesn't mean the base game isn't functioning well. It's perfectly possible for a game to be great while having bad performance. When Shadow of the Colossus was released no one bitched and review bombed it because the frame rate was bad.

Hilarious how some people call themselves 'pokemon fans' when they've hated it and refused to play it for like ten years.
It's not just the shaky framerate and you know it too. If not, check DF. I saw it and had the occasion to play on my buddys conole. It's a mess.

Shadow of the Colossus did things no one thought possible on the PS2 and while the framerate was low in many places on a technical level it was more than competent.

Why can't i call myself a fan and not be satisfied with how the new games work?

Saber

Gold Member
This game here is a technical masterpiece on the Wii U. It has it's limitations like no collision with vehicles in the city etc, but on a technical level it just rocks.

I would say if this ever happens it would be a valid sacrifice imo.

Ev1L AuRoN

As a Pokemon fan who absolutely HATED Sword/Shield, disliked Sun/Moon, skipped Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon entirely I came into this game ready to hate it.

And I don't. It's a legitimately fun game that is let down by it's performance but as someone who regularly goes back to old 3D games the frame drops on a game like this don't bug me much.

It's a shame because if this game ran better I could easily see it receiving 9/10 universally. I don't think it's lazy efforts, I think Game Freak just doesn't have the ability to create well-polished 3D environments.
You can argue that the game is fun, the mechanic is proven etc., But all of that is let down by the subpar performance and presentation of the game. I could let it slide if this was an indie game or a budget project, but Pokémon is one of the biggest franchises in the industry, and Nintendo don't even bother to maybe hire more people to develop a better engine that can make better use of their hardware. The game is exclusive to a single platform, a flagship title that generated a lot of money, seriously, that is just embarrassing.

killatopak

Gold Member

That's not new. It's not solely Nintendo but the Pokemon IP itself that is successful

Just ask every yearly sports game how much effort they put into it. In fact it's even worse since they all have MTX and they don't even transfer. At least in Pokemon you can transfer shit from the past games.

Isa

Gold Member
Myself and my best friend bought copies. He actually got the dual pack 'cause he's a huge fan. And some of his siblings are getting a copy for Christmas. I love seeing them get into conversations about Pokemon and how they got their favorites and whatnot. I'm not that big into it, more of a SMT guy. From what little I played its ok. Graphics hoes will complain but its been good enough for me, I prefer art style and gameplay first. Gonna finish up my Shining games playthrough before I dig into another girthy rpg though. Gotta say I've never heard the casuals complain about graphics ever though, their priorities are elsewhere. I swear the hyperbolic hatemongering is influencer level attempts to sway the "market", but just swirls around the more niche forums and youtuber audiences. The masses don't seem to care, they just want a fun time and distraction from the real world. That's totally fine. If anything I respect their ignorance is bliss attitudes, they buy the thing and have a good time and move on instead of getting bent outta shape.

Success breeds contempt. Its pokemon for Christ's sake. I definitely think Gamefreak pushed themselves to hard, what 2 or 3 releases so close together. I bet they were rushing to get things out in a timely manner for Nintendo in prep for the next system. I'm really looking forward to Fire Emblem Engage and the next Zelda, but what comes next? I think some people don't get the market. Its a franchise aimed at children first and foremost. It started on handhelds and has never pushed the graphical boundries. The general consensus is that the market doesn't demand it. A Honda Civic isn't going to one-up my old Evo or Challenger v8 but does it need too? No its a full priced car with decent features that's cute as opposed to my muscle car. Way more Civics about than Challengers as well. The demand is there but I won't complain. The overall market just doesn't care about what the elitists want. Nintendo understands that market better than their competition in my opinion. The average consumer get's Pokemon to go on an adventure collecting cute and cool critters and explore the world. Comparing Shinies. I bet you 99% of the audience hasn't even heard of Digital Foundry. And good for them. This obsession with Meta Critic and "performance analysis" is super niche. That's fine too, but don't get mad at those having fun and spending their dosh where they want.

Hero_Select

You can argue that the game is fun, the mechanic is proven etc., But all of that is let down by the subpar performance and presentation of the game. I could let it slide if this was an indie game or a budget project, but Pokémon is one of the biggest franchises in the industry, and Nintendo don't even bother to maybe hire more people to develop a better engine that can make better use of their hardware. The game is exclusive to a single platform, a flagship title that generated a lot of money, seriously, that is just embarrassing.
It's not Nintendo, they don't develop Pokemon games. All this performance issues are on Game Freak. And I'm not disagreeing with you - it is absolutely embarrassing for a franchise as big as Pokemon to run like shit. It's not the Switch being underpowered eaither because we've seen plenty of games run great on it - but it does say a lot about the game where it can have this many problems and people are still genuinely having a lot of fun with it.

I wish Nintendo would step in. "So uh.. guys.. whats uh.. goin' on here huh? Need a hand?"

The positive note is that we’re likely to see the next game on the next gen switch. At some point, there’ll be enough power to at least brute force competent technical performance.

can’t exactly lump Pokemon with the likes of FIfA that barely shake up the formula in their annual entries.
Even COD changes things up. There’s a reason MW2 is succeeding where Vanguard flopped
Yep. Reminds me of Sonic Unleashed. Game was poor in terms of technical performance for years, until Xbox did the Series X update to it.

It's just idiots who haven't played it parroting a narrative from their favourite influencers. No thought's gone into it.
Yep. The sad part is that there *are* massive issues with the game and they need and deserve to be called out. But that means nothing when people make whining posts about how the game is "unchanged" or that the company is doing absolutely nothing. Why would anyone listen to something so blatantly false?

Dude, open world is nothing new. I ain't gonna praise or tell this is something when theres not only miles better open worlds out there and neither what they did are a feat. Its just like praising gamefreak for finally creating a round tire in 2022. Go play Dragon Quest XI and spare me the talk about models.

Its not hyperbole. If you think just making a barebone openworld and tackle pokemon on it its something, thats on you.
It's new for Pokemon, for a studio that is not normally known for attempting it. Even Arceus wasn't open world - just a handful of large zones. Designing and creating an open world is far different than linear/interconnected zones like Pokemon has been known for for decades.

And yes, your posts *are* hyperbole.

No one is making excuses. Please follow the actual argument instead of making strawmen.

Last edited:

Doczu

Look, your fine to enjoy the game for what it is, but if you are comparing it like this:
A Honda Civic isn't going to one-up my old Evo or Challenger v8 but does it need too? No its a full priced car with decent features that's cute as opposed to my muscle car. Way more Civics about than Challengers as well.

This game is not a Civic. It's a fucking Yugo. It drives, it might get you to your destination, but the ride is not enjoyable on a technical level.
Sure, some people might try to convince you it's working and it does what it needs to do, but for the love of God stop convincing other people a Yugo is good enough now that they added power steering and belts on the rear seats.

Isa

Gold Member
Look, your fine to enjoy the game for what it is, but if you are comparing it like this:

This game is not a Civic. It's a fucking Yugo. It drives, it might get you to your destination, but the ride is not enjoyable on a technical level.
Sure, some people might try to convince you it's working and it does what it needs to do, but for the love of God stop convincing other people a Yugo is good enough now that they added power steering and belts on the rear seats.
Haha nice. Except the Yugo isn't even around here anymore where I live whereas the Civic is still receiving new gen iterations. I get your point though. But again none of the kids that I know that play it have ever complained about the experience. Those same kids game across PS and Series consoles as well. They're not blind, their priorities are in another area. One dropped CoD because it wasn't fun for him. My best friend already has a dozen hrs in it and not one complaint. He just goes on about his current party and where he decided to go. He loves western rpgs and open world stuff so this has been great for him. He also really got down on Arceus because of that. We've had more CoD bugs and crashes than in this game lol. All I'm saying is that its not the end of the world. Hit reset or ignore the issues and carry on. And good games will offer that incentive to keep going.

Doczu

No one is making excuses. Please follow the actual argument instead of making strawmen.
People ARE making excuses in this thread.

"It's their first open world game, give them some slack!"
"It's just the Switch that is underpowered"
"Well they added so much to it and no one talks about that"

Same arguments people used when they made a jump to 3D last gen. New tech, new things, bla bla bla.

Maybe they should stop adding new things until they have a good foundation to work on?

Saber

Gold Member
It's new for Pokemon, for a studio that is not normally known for attempting it. Even Arceus wasn't open world - just a handful of large zones. Designing and creating an open world is far different than linear/interconnected zones like Pokemon has been known for for decades.

And yes, your posts *are* hyperbole.

Didn't know being the first time was an excuse to release such boderline crappie game. And you talk about hyperbole lmao

Doczu

Haha nice. Except the Yugo isn't even around here anymore where I live whereas the Civic is still receiving new gen iterations. I get your point though. But again none of the kids that I know that play it have ever complained about the experience. Those same kids game across PS and Series consoles as well. They're not blind, their priorities are in another area. One dropped CoD because it wasn't fun for him. My best friend already has a dozen hrs in it and not one complaint. He just goes on about his current party and where he decided to go. He loves western rpgs and open world stuff so this has been great for him. He also really got down on Arceus because of that. We've had more CoD bugs and crashes than in this game lol. All I'm saying is that its not the end of the world. Hit reset or ignore the issues and carry on. And good games will offer that incentive to keep going.
I am all for people having a good time playing this game, but please do not stop bitching about the technical quality. Don't do it. Make them hear they are doing a shitty job. Make them know they should do better.

Is it so difficult to understand this could have been a 9 or 10 game if it ran good? I could bet anything you'd want the game wouldn't have such a backlash if not for those issues.

Tams

Gold Member
People ARE making excuses in this thread.

Same arguments people used when they made a jump to 3D last gen. New tech, new things, bla bla bla.

Maybe they should stop adding new things until they have a good foundation to work on?

Perhaps some here are making excuses (I seriously can't be bothered to read the whole thread), but at least some of us are merely explaining the reasons.

All those reasons you listed are just explanations/reasons. It's only when someone subjectively interprets them that they can become excuses.

Is a reason. Most first attempts aren't great. The latter part is your opinion.

Is a reason. The Switch is underpowered for 2022.

Is a reason. The additions were clearly where the effort and resources were put.

Are any of them good excuses for the poor state it has released in? No. But they are the reasons.

P.S. And for what it's worth, I didn't end up buying it because of all the reported bugs and performance issues. I'm not some rabid Pokémon fan who will defend it to the hilt.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
I am all for people having a good time playing this game, but please do not stop bitching about the technical quality. Don't do it. Make them hear they are doing a shitty job. Make them know they should do better.

Is it so difficult to understand this could have been a 9 or 10 game if it ran good? I could bet anything you'd want the game wouldn't have such a backlash if not for those issues.
I hear you, I just think there's too much money to sway them. I guess I'm black pilled on that. If the sales dipped significantly or physical returns were through the roof then I bet they'd start to do something. Plus I doubt Ninty or GF is scouring forums for sentiment. I'd suggest people send letters, emails or tweets to Nintendo about their issues. I still don't think it'd do much though, I mean Nintendo was still content with slapping the seal of quality on the box and pushing it out.

Saber

Gold Member
P.S. And for what it's worth, I didn't end up buying it because of all the reported bugs and performance issues. I'm not some rabid Pokémon fan who will defend it to the hilt.

I think theres a possibility for those bugs to be fixed and perhaps the framerate too(this one might be a copium though, I don't remember Arceus being patch up). But unfortunatelly the visuals and textures would remain the same. If that happens though at least it would be more easier to enjoy.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member

Pretty much. Think of it like this. A Yugo that barely runs. Stoped on the person multiple times. Most dhasboard light are on. Yet when asked, the person would say it it the best fun and functioning car ever. This is the Pokemon fanbase basically.

Hero_Select

Perhaps some here are making excuses (I seriously can't be bothered to read the whole thread), but at least some of us are merely explaining the reasons.

All those reasons you listed are just explanations/reasons. It's only when someone subjectively interprets them that they can become excuses.

Is a reason. The additions were clearly where the effort and resources were put.

Are any of them good excuses for the poor state it has released in? No. But they are the reasons.

This is being a tad pedantic no?

Sword and Shield had the Wild Area and then two open areas in DLCs. Legends Arceus had segmented open-areas and now with S/V its open almost completely. It's not like Game Freak just jumped into an open-world Pokemon game. They've been building up to for more than a few years now and it's really not a good reason nor explanation.

The Switch is underpowered when compared to the other consoles but then you look at BOTW, DQ11, XC2/3, SMTV, Mario Odyssey, Nier Autamata etc etc and they run really well on the hardware.

This is coming from someone whose bought the game and is enjoying it despite the performance issues anyway but a lot of those reasons/explanations don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Doczu

Open worlds aren't new. They aren't charting unknown regions in the gaming landscape. You have like 20 years worth of games to compare to and draw inspirations or ideas from.

And Switch's power has nothing to do that the game runs crappy. They could have taken that into account.

They should have first made sure it works well. Scale to the hardware first.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

It's not Nintendo, they don't develop Pokemon games. All this performance issues are on Game Freak.
They own the Pokemon IP. They publish the games. Nintendo is funding GF's development as well as raking in the cash from sales. They are ultimately responsible for what happens with their product. This is like saying Sony bears no responsibility for early Ratchet & Clank games just because Insomniac was independent and the ones developing them. Even in those days Sony was letting Naughty Dog (who was a full subsidiary) share tools and knowledge with Insomniac. Nintendo seems to be doing nothing to help Game Feak seeing as Wii U games like BoTW blow Pokemon out of the water on a technical level. If those R&C games were poor in quality people would get on Sony for letting it happen, as they should. Game Freak can not just develop whatever they want without approval. Nintendo let this release in this state so they share the blame equally in my opinion.

Doczu

The other way of looking at this is that only 10% of their install base bought the game
On launch week. Pokemon have insane legs, they will move copies for years to come.
You could say the same about the DS games, also a small percentage that bought them

Pallas

Been contemplating getting it, I have Sword that I haven’t finished and Diamond remake I haven’t even started. lol

AetherZX

This is being a tad pedantic no?

Sword and Shield had the Wild Area and then two open areas in DLCs. Legends Arceus had segmented open-areas and now with S/V its open almost completely. It's not like Game Freak just jumped into an open-world Pokemon game. They've been building up to for more than a few years now and it's really not a good reason nor explanation.
Of course, let's not pretend the Wild Area in SWSH is anywhere on the same level as the open parts of Legends and world of SV.

Yes, they've been building towards this, but the out of touch garbage in the thread is hilarious when the alternative would've been another iteration of SWSH's formula, not going straight to open world on the same platform.

Top Bottom