• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet sold 10 million copies in 3 days

I would have thought by now people on here or similar circles understood that bad graphics and bad performance aren't enough to sway the casual market, the Switch is a monument to demonstrating this, lol.

It might when it comes to stuff like Bayonetta or Metroid but not something like Pokemon.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't think this is the only problem though and neither isolated to this forum(you can basically find problems about this game anywhere).
Graphical bugs, weird pop in, vomit looking textures, game crashing, etc. If people find this fun though, well thats some wild level of fetish I got say.
I would say its gameplay loop, I personally might not be fan of Pokemon games but I understand being addicted to its gameplay loop because I feel same way about MegaTen games.

Gaiff

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I would say its gameplay loop, I personally might not be fan of Pokemon games but I understand being addicted to its gameplay loop because I feel same way about MegaTen games.

I agree, though putting this game on the same level as ShinMegami games is kinda offensive to me imo.
They may be not be going for the visual departament, but these guys rocks in the presentation, art design/direction and gameplay. Pokemon on the other had does not.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
I think this is Nintendo`s biggest launch ever. Animal Crossing 11.7M in 12 days. This could do 12-13 in that span.

Swift_Star

Banned
I don't think it's that... Complaints got widespread over the time, most people had the game preordered or bought the first day... If the issues this game has will affect still to be seen on the next installments
Nah, people don’t care about any of that. Just look at legends, SwSh, sun and moon… nobody cares about any of this of the gameplay loop is fun.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SMTV is basically Edgy/Adult Pokemon and i mean that with love. Same gameplay loop and also just as addicting.
I definitely understand that feeling of really enjoying it gameplay loop that other issues dont matter much.

But also understand some of the fans frustration for this series, no one here is asking for AAA expensive visuals here, I dont think this game needs it but they could put little more effort even they do have to release these games regularly.

For example: Atelier series also works with limited budget and just like Pokemon they release those games often but unlike Pokemon series they very niche and dont sale anywhere near as much as them.

But they do put effort to improve visuals even with limited budget.

Atelier-Ryza-3-Alchemist-of-the-End-and-the-Secret-Key_2022_09-14-22_003.jpg

Atelier-Ryza-3-Alchemist-of-the-End-and-the-Secret-Key_2022_09-14-22_008.jpg

As i said before, Game Freak has found out more and more each release they can don't have to try as hard to need to address fans concerns much because the games always sell.

Now we once again see even with this panned mainline game that people will still buy it. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised the videos, discussion, and clips about it's issues raise more interest in the game and it becomes one of the best selling in the franchise.

It's possible maybe, for the fans of this series there's a silver lining. In that after this game if Game Freak does a bad job with the next main game it might turn "SOME" of the casual players off, but let's not kid ourselves Game Freak knows what they are doing and knows what they can get away with.

Banned
this is a sad day for Canada, and therefore the world.

how on earth can a game like this sell so many copies? it's a clown world...

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nah, people don’t care about any of that. Just look at legends, SwSh, sun and moon… nobody cares about any of this of the gameplay loop is fun.
Those games were totally functional and artistically this one looks better too, I think this one looked better than those you mention and that helped, but let's see, you're most probably right though

Ol'Scratch

I would love to see half of the dip shits who acted like Cyberpunk 2077 buggered their grandma while lighting their home on fire make even remotely as much noise.
It will never happen.

Do people complain this much about how broken every Todd Howard game is? Those sell 20+ million copies too.

For all the bitching about The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk when they were released, both of those are 20+ million sellers too.

Bugs and glitches just don't matter that much if the game is FUN.

Robb

Gold Member
Not surprised, it’s Pokemon after all.

Hopefully the next one will be on “Switch 2” so that GameFreak doesn’t have to care as much about trying to optimize for the hardware, because they obviously suck at that.

Celcius

°Temp. member
"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"
Should we just give in and buy it despite the performance issues? :messenger_downcast_sweat:
I doubt the game ever goes on sale...

Swift_Star

Banned
Those games were totally functional and artistically this one looks better too, I think this one looked better than those you mention and that helped, but let's see, you're most probably right though
They were ugly with terrible fps.
There’s no spinning around this fact: people care only about the gameplay loop.

Bragr

Banned
I think this is Nintendo`s biggest launch ever. Animal Crossing 11.7M in 12 days. This could do 12-13 in that span.
This is the biggest video game exclusive game EVER, across all consoles. There is no exclusive console game that has even come close.

I expected big numbers, but nowhere near 10 million. It absolutely destroyed God of War Ragnarok, selling twice as much in 2 days less.

Ah so this is one of those paste licking console war dipshits out on twitter fapping about two Pokemon games selling more than one rated mature God of War game.
This is the biggest video game exclusive game EVER, across all consoles. There is no exclusive console game that has even come close.

I expected big numbers, but nowhere near 10 million. It absolutely destroyed God of War Ragnarok, selling twice as much in 2 days less.
It's a shame that the game is a buggy mess, almost as bad as cyberpunk at launch, except nintendo won't patch it. Say whaterever about God of War but atleast that game looks and probably is far more competent.

Bragr

Banned
No idea what those games are since you're using acronyms and "Legends" is a pretty common word used in titles.
It's 3 of the other Pokemon games on the Switch. There are 4 in total:

Pokemon: Let's Go Pickachu & Eevee (2018)
- 14 million sold

Pokemon Sword and Shield (2019)
- 25 million sold

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl (2021)
- 14 million sold

Pokemon Legends: Areceus (2022)
- 13 million sold

Last edited:
Top Bottom