• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus sales top 6.5 million

Game is an enormous piece of crap. I have nothing against Pokemon. I played SW&SH and the expansion.

Just because you didn't enjoy the game doesn't mean people only bought it because of the Nintendo/Pokemon logo or that it's an "enormous piece of crap", I thought the game was awesome, but I guess that makes me a blind fanboy, despite the good review scores and positive reception

Chupanibre

Mark my words they will cut even more corners next gen to see what they could get away with.

They could probably put an image of pikachu’s shit on a game card and sell it

id buy that for a dollar GIF

I'm not a very big fan of previous Pokémon games, but I love this game. Yeah, it looks like garbage, but the act of collecting and battling Pokémon is very well done.

I'm about 25 hours in and having a hard time putting it down.

Ryu Kaiba

it’s doing so because it’s the Pokémon game everyone on the planet wanted since we were 6.
Hardly. Its just another step in that direction. This game should've been made 15 years ago, but better late than never I guess.

Ozzie666

If Nintendo can parley this game into a second Pokemon stream and option, it just prints money. It's crazy.

Honestly, I don't play this game or any of the Pokemons anymore, But I watch my wife play and I was really impressed with the game. People can be harsh on the graphics, but I think it looks fine and stylish. It's as close to a Breath of the WIld moment as you can get. It's enough of a change to sit beside the more traditional games. I hope it sells really well. This Switch train is unbelievable.

I just love the idea, a game like this can exist along side the harder edge graphics of PS5 and Xbox. On some level, it just gives me hope for gaming still. Outsell almost everything.

Now slap a Golden Sun skin with the Djinns on this and call it a day.

Honestly, this is such a natural offshoot for the series, more so than DOTA attempts at least.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Just because you didn't enjoy the game doesn't mean people only bought it because of the Nintendo/Pokemon logo or that it's an "enormous piece of crap", I thought the game was awesome, but I guess that makes me a blind fanboy, despite the good review scores and positive reception
It's half assed, half built. This is one of the lowest effort game releases I've ever seen. Even by GameFreaks standard, it's really really REALLY bad.

It's half assed, half built. This is one of the lowest effort game releases I've ever seen. Even by GameFreaks standard, it's really really REALLY bad.
But it's the best pokemon game I've ever played. It just looks drab sometimes visually. Gameplay is a gigantic improvement.

iHaunter

But it's the best pokemon game I've ever played. It just looks drab sometimes visually. Gameplay is a gigantic improvement.
I have no issue with the idea of it. The pokemon formula is very stale. I just hate how lazy GameFreak is and how blind the Nintendo fans are that they accept this is a full well made pokemon game. If this was on any other platform, this would've been a 25 metacritic score.

iHaunter

How far did you get into Arceus?
I played 10 hours on my Friends Switch under my profile. It was a week ago, I forget what part of the story it was? Maybe it was less time, it felt like an eternity as I really hated it. Was chasing a Pichu around some ladies house.

I don't even want to get into how awkward it is where there's randomly no music playing either. Had that problem with Halo Infinite.

I have no issue with the idea of it. The pokemon formula is very stale. I just hate how lazy GameFreak is and how blind the Nintendo fans are that they accept this is a full well made pokemon game. If this was on any other platform, this would've been a 25 metacritic score.
Anything 4 or below is honestly a fundamentally broken game. A 25 is something that barely even starts without breaking half the time.

You have every right to not like it, but your exaggeration is staggering.

iHaunter

Anything 4 or below is honestly a fundamentally broken game. A 25 is something that barely even starts without breaking half the time.

You have every right to not like it, but your exaggeration is staggering.
Can you at least admit that it feels and looks unfinished? There's no VA, just texts, while characters awkwardly look at one another. The quests are literally the same repetitive and boring ones throughout the game. Even the main story quest is short and thrown together. The mechanics are average to below average. I like the idea of the Open World, but that's literally it. This is quite literally a pre-alpha that I expect devs to try to sell a game, not actually have it be released. The fact that you guys were trained to accept such a shitty slapped together game and call it the best one in the series is where my problem actually is. I expect low effort garbage like this from GameFreak anyway, so I had low expectations to begin with.

Can you at least admit that it feels and looks unfinished? There's no VA, just texts, while characters awkwardly look at one another. The quests are literally the same repetitive and boring ones throughout the game. Even the main story quest is short and thrown together. The mechanics are average to below average. I like the idea of the Open World, but that's literally it. This is quite literally a pre-alpha that I expect devs to try to sell a game, not actually have it be released. The fact that you guys were trained to accept such a shitty slapped together game and call it the best one in the series is where my problem actually is. I expect low effort garbage like this from GameFreak anyway, so I had low expectations to begin with.
It feels like a skeleton of a game. The skeleton is the bones of the game, and the most important part. Does the gameplay work well? Is the core gameplay loop fun? That is basically what's there, and it works well. Gameplay is the most fun its ever been. If you want to fight pokemon, or catch them, this is the best that is.

Some elements are average, like the story. It's not terrible honestly, but not great.

Some elements feel unfinished. Graphics, quest design, more cities. Those are all the things you pile on top of the core skeleton, and they're not ideal obviously.

I think most people are playing it for that core gameplay.

Tams

I mean, being VA or text-based is more an aesthetic decision than anything else. Yes, cheaply made games don't really have a choice, but it was a choice here.

The only thing that really looks cheap is the environment textures. I think there's some technical limitation with the Switch, but they could have gone for something more stylised to hide it better.

Perhaps Pokémon just isn't for you?

manfestival

they have like 170 people working for them. I would say yea.
A team that small for the money printing machine that it is. Always imagined their team was huge and not this "small(relatively speaking)." I hope every employee is getting paid better than their peers.

Is the game too easy? I'm close to buying it but it seems like it would be too easy.
It's pretty easy. But I regularly have pokemon faint. But you literally just fast travel back to camp and they're all healed.

I don't think I've ever played a difficult pokemon.

Top Bottom