• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Scarlet/Violet are now lowest rated mainline game from critical reviews and now also from fan reviews.

Draugoth

Gold Member
dEA8Iob.jpg
I didn't think this was possible!

Disgruntled players are review bombing Pokemon Scarlet & Violet. Over on Metacritic, while the latest mainline Pokemon game has a score of 77 based on critic reviews, the user score is telling a far different story. And it seems players are getting increasingly angry.

At the time of writing, Pokemon Scarlet has a user score of just 2.8 based on ratings from 860 people. One user scored it zero and commented: "Everyone giving that game more than 5/10 points is straight up lying. The game is the worst running game I've played in 20 years". Another angry review gave it a slightly higher score of 2/10 and said Scarlet is "barely playable on Switch Lite" and that the game is "ugly". Pokemon Violet, on the other hand, has a slightly higher score of 3.4 based on 409 ratings from user scores on Metacritic. "This game is extremely broken in many ways. The game itself is a broken and buggy mess," wrote one 'joaresazrio123' who scored Violet a zero.

While a game's visuals and how they are perceived is a more subjective interpretation, many have made unfavourable comparisons for Game Freak's titles. While the Switch is aging hardware, many have pointed out how titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 3, which is also an open world game, is able to look far more graphically impressive. Other comparisons have been made to Breath of the Wild and Capcom's Monster Hunter Rise.

Chastten

Banned
The game runs like absolute dogshit, but at least it's fun. Solid 6/10 game for me.

The same can't be said for Sword/Shield and especially Shining Pearl/Brilliant Diamond. Those were probably the worst games I've played in the past 5 years and don't deserve anything higher than a 4/10.

Saber

Gold Member
Back in the day, we called this "customers giving their honest opinion on a shit product"

Its funny that everytime people gives low scores to a well know game/company, its aways review bombing. But when everyone gives 10, yup its totally normal. No reverse bomb at all, just everyone giving their honest score. Masterpiece.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Gameplay wise It's far better than sword and shield. On the technical side It's dog shit, i have no idea why they just didn't use cel shading. Wind waker on the gamecube looks better.
It's fun for a jank ass piece of shit

sachos

I was watching Pink Gorilla game store livestream on Twitch and the line during launch day was huge, they sold like 150+ copies. They sadly won't care as people keep buying it.

Majukun

Back in my day this meant something:

nintendosealofquality.jpg
eh not really

it's true that the seal was part of the videogame reinessance led by nintendo in the states, but it was there mainly to indicate that the game would work and that someone had reviewed the content...didn't say much about the quality.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Back in my day this meant something:

nintendosealofquality.jpg
It meant what it means today: Software can be played from beginning to end without any critical error and crashes and won't damage the console, etc etc. Thisv must be the most misunderstood seal ever lol

This won't affect sales much now since a lot of people already preordered before knowing the game was so broken, but can affect sales later imo, a lot of people will be more cautious to get a Pokemon game at launch

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm not a pokemon player. But if the game is fun and people are enjoying it, who cares?
There is a bare minimum graphical/performance metric a game need to hit before you can say it doesn’t matter, sadly this games performance and bugs is detrimental to the actual fun gameplay it’s trying to achieve. Truly its performance is that bad.

I'm not a pokemon player. But if the game is fun and people are enjoying it, who cares?
There does need to be proper criticism of the objectively terrible performance. But I also am having more fun with this than I did Ragnarok. I will take a fun Broken game over a boring technical masterpiece.

It will sell 25-30 million copies like every other mainline Pokemon title.

For some reason every Bethesda/Todd Howard game also has millions of bugs and runs like shit yet also sells 20+ million copies. Bugs and performance just don't matter as much as people like to imagine.

Bragr

Banned
You know, it's almost a compliment if you look at it in a stupid way.

That it's still close to 80 is impressive. If it ran well, it would sit at around 90, because the game is frankly one of the best Pokemon games out there.

Doesn't matter though, as the Pokemon fans would buy this shit even if it was on the Gameboy. The brand is just too damn big.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
It will sell 25-30 million copies like every other mainline Pokemon title.

For some reason every Bethesda/Todd Howard game also has millions of bugs and runs like shit yet also sells 20+ million copies. Bugs and performance just don't matter as much as people like to imagine.
Only if they ruin the fun, sure pokemon is buggy, really buggy this time, but if it doesn't ruin people's fun they won't care, me, I like earth defense force and I get upset if it isn't running at an unstable framerate with millions of bugs everywhere

april6e

It can't possibly be worse than Sun/Moon and Arceus even with the performance issues.

Both of those games were embarrassments to Pokemon and didn't have the basic core gameplay elements that every other Pokemon game had.

It can't possibly be worse than Sun/Moon and Arceus even with the performance issues.

Both of those games were embarrassments to Pokemon and didn't have the basic core gameplay elements that every other Pokemon game had.
Tbf Sun/Moon changed up the formula because everyone had been complaining about pokemon being the same game every year for a long time.

I'm glad I decided to not buy it.

I'm not being a part of the problem anymore. I didn't buy Arceus but I did buy Sword. That was not bad but still not what Pokemon should be.

Nintendo/Pokemon Company will be happy with sales I'm sure but they really ought to sort Game Freak out....well that's just my opinion what do I know 🤷‍♂️

wOs

Why are you implying arceus was a mainline game? Arceus might have looked like shit, but no Pokémon game before it ever made me feel as much like a trainer. I'd take Arceus gameplay as the mainly line gameplay any day is the week. I couldn't get past the opening of sun/moon so boring.

Kadve

And im sure Nintendo and Gamefreak will cry into their huge piles of money tonight. Pokemon is one of those series where it doesn't matter if the cartridges explodes in your face when you've finished the game. People would still buy them.

I mean, im pretty sure people are ok with this "dual release" thing only because of nostalgia. Any other company/franchise would be burned for trying something like it nowadays.

Top Bottom